Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

twodot posted:

How'd you end up in a situation where these are mutually exclusive?

$15MW is only beneficial to employed people. It's a half-measure that doesn't address the fundamental issue of poverty in this country. Basic income/universal standard of living is what should be pursued. And I laugh at centrists and conservatives who say this is unaffordable considering that we spend almost a trillion dollars every year maintaining hundreds of military bases around the world in order to police countries full of brown people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

twodot posted:

Is someone out there advocating for a basic income without also changing the tax code? We don't need a separate agency from the IRS to figure out how to take money from people.

I was under the impression that when most people mention basic income that they're talking about giving a flat amount to every single American.

I don't really have any strong opinions either way about basic income and don't know that much about it. If it would be an effective way to give people a good standard of living, then that's great. It just seems kind of pointlessly wasteful to give it to literally every American regardless of current wealth/income, but it seems like that isn't an issue for certain implementations anyways.

I've always felt that it might be a better idea to provide certain necessities directly, like housing or healthcare. If you give people a basic income and someone fucks up and spends too much to afford housing, that seems like a problem (I don't think people deserve to live on the streets as a result of doing stupid things). But then again I think I remember reading somewhere that direct cash transfers are the most effective form of welfare.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Alienwarehouse posted:

$15MW is only beneficial to employed people. It's a half-measure that doesn't address the fundamental issue of poverty in this country. Basic income/universal standard of living is what should be pursued. And I laugh at centrists and conservatives who say this is unaffordable considering that we spend almost a trillion dollars every year maintaining hundreds of military bases around the world in order to police countries full of brown people.
Cool. How'd you end up in a situation where it makes any sense to say someone supported a higher minimum wage instead of basic income? Like did your state have a ballot measure where you could vote yes on minimum wage increases or basic income but not both somehow? Do you have an illness where you can only seek one goal at a time? Maybe a pact with Satan, where you can pick any one policy measure to succeed, but after that all of your policy advocacy is doomed to failure?
edit:

Ytlaya posted:

I was under the impression that when most people mention basic income that they're talking about giving a flat amount to every single American.

I don't really have any strong opinions either way about basic income and don't know that much about it. If it would be an effective way to give people a good standard of living, then that's great. It just seems kind of pointlessly wasteful to give it to literally every American regardless of current wealth/income, but it seems like that isn't an issue for certain implementations anyways.
How is it wasteful? The IRS already understands how to tax people's Social Security income. The only costs are printing/mail the physical check and tax forms, and then IRS agents doing the job they already have.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 11, 2017

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

twodot posted:

Cool. How'd you end up in a situation where it makes any sense to say someone supported a higher minimum wage instead of basic income? Like did your state have a ballot measure where you could vote yes on minimum wage increases or basic income but not both somehow? Do you have an illness where you can only seek one goal at a time? Maybe a pact with Satan, where you can pick any one policy measure to succeed, but after that all of your policy advocacy is doomed to failure?

I think you may be retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
You think forcing all the undocumented immigrants into unemployment so they self-deport is a good idea? Banning exploitative jobs only helps workers if there are less exploitative jobs to take their place. This doesn't seem like a controversial point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JeffersonClay posted:

You think forcing all the undocumented immigrants into unemployment so they self-deport is a good idea? Banning exploitative jobs only helps workers if there are less exploitative jobs to take their place. This doesn't seem like a controversial point.

loving kill yourself you colossal piece of poo poo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

You think forcing all the undocumented immigrants into unemployment so they self-deport is a good idea?

yes? why should we protect the jobs of people who aren't legally allowed to be here?

doesn't seem to help anyone but the employers who use them to push down wages

edit: if we need immigrant workers so badly we should give them legal protections allowing them to be in the country, protecting their labor rights, etc.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 11, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

Please tell me more about your libertarian deregulation fantasies and how those bangladeshi workers totally made a rational choice to get locked inside that burning factory.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

yes? why should we protect the jobs of people who aren't legally allowed to be here?

because they should be legally allowed to be here?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

then give them legal status and protect their labor rights

the status quo only hurts legal laborers to the benefit of capitalists

please note: i'd still want employers who hired illegal laborers to be fined into nothingness. allowing companies to make use of illegal labor is utterly destructive to labor protections

Condiv fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 11, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

then give them legal status and protect their labor rights

the status quo only hurts legal laborers to the benefit of capitalists

please note: i'd still want employers who hired illegal laborers to be fined into nothingness. allowing companies to make use of illegal labor is utterly destructive to labor protections

Sure but I still think the status quo is better than deportation, for a variety of reasons

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

Please tell me more about your libertarian deregulation fantasies and how those bangladeshi workers totally made a rational choice to get locked inside that burning factory.

The way to help workers in terrible working conditions is to create better working conditions. Regulations can be a part of this strategy, but they aren't sufficient. If Bangladeshi workers are trapped in a choice between unsafe, exploitative work and starvation, eliminating the unsafe, exploitative work doesn't actually make them better off unless it results in better jobs. Without better jobs you're just forcing them to starve.

Condiv posted:

doesn't seem to help anyone but the employers who use them to push down wages

edit: if we need immigrant workers so badly we should give them legal protections allowing them to be in the country, protecting their labor rights, etc.

I don't have a problem with this framing, you're at least being honest about not caring what happens to the people who lose their jobs. But the attempts to frame a ban on undocumented labor as a good thing for undocumented laborers because they're being exploited is absurd. Every worker in a capitalist system is being exploited. Forcing them into unemployment does not help them. Undocumented immigrants would benefit from legal status and labor protections, not self-deportation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Has anyone tried to model out what happens to an economy where all agricultural labor is above-board? Does such a thing even exist in the world right now?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

The way to help workers in terrible working conditions is to create better working conditions. Regulations can be a part of this strategy, but they aren't sufficient. If Bangladeshi workers are trapped in a choice between unsafe, exploitative work and starvation, eliminating the unsafe, exploitative work doesn't actually make them better off unless it results in better jobs. Without better jobs you're just forcing them to starve.

Yeah, because employers suddenly don't need workers anymore the moment safety regulations exist. You're literally defending sweatshops and now you're trying to appear pro-worker jfc.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

I've always felt that it might be a better idea to provide certain necessities directly, like housing or healthcare. If you give people a basic income and someone fucks up and spends too much to afford housing, that seems like a problem (I don't think people deserve to live on the streets as a result of doing stupid things). But then again I think I remember reading somewhere that direct cash transfers are the most effective form of welfare.
Yeah, it's pretty much always better to just cut people a check. Turns out that most of the time people know what they need to do to take care of themselves.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't have a problem with this framing, you're at least being honest about not caring what happens to the people who lose their jobs. But the attempts to frame a ban on undocumented labor as a good thing for undocumented laborers because they're being exploited is absurd. Every worker in a capitalist system is being exploited. Forcing them into unemployment does not help them. Undocumented immigrants would benefit from legal status and labor protections, not self-deportation.

it's better for undocumented laborers than the status quo. i'm not very against giving citizenship and labor protections to illegal laborers, but i'm concerned about making sure our citizens have work before we pull more people in to work. though i'm sure actually forcing these jobs to pay minimum wage and follow labor lawss will do a lot to help make sure citizens are able to get these jobs.

the status quo, which the dems haven't bothered to fix in 8 years, is unworkable. illegal laborers are paid below legal rates, pushing wages down, and are able to be deported by their employers on a whim. it is shameful that the dems have continued to deport people instead of actually targeting employers if we're not going to be giving people legal status

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, because employers suddenly don't need workers anymore the moment safety regulations exist. You're literally defending sweatshops and now you're trying to appear pro-worker jfc.

Im pro sweatshop laborers not being forced into unemployment. If the narrative is "we should ban sweatshop products so foreign employers are forced to improve working conditions", I have no problem. If the narrative is " let's ban sweatshop products so employers are forced to bring jobs back to the US", I have a problem with the suggestion that sweatshop laborers would be better off. There's a symmetry between the latter and the argument Condiv is making about undocumented labor.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

If regulations aren't sufficient, what is? You seem to be suggesting that if you put in place proper labor and safety regulations, that the Bangladeshi economy will evaporate overnight. But if it's the case that Bangladesh simply can't have an economy without exploiting its workforce, then it doesn't seem like there's any solution, regulations or not.

So it sounds an awful lot like you're walking down the path toward "this is the best of all possible worlds, better just leave these people to their fate". Status quo, in other words. What a shock, coming from you!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Im pro sweatshop laborers not being forced into unemployment. If the narrative is "we should ban sweatshop products so foreign employers are forced to improve working conditions", I have no problem. If the narrative is " let's ban sweatshop products so employers are forced to bring jobs back to the US", I have a problem with the suggestion that sweatshop laborers would be better off. There's a symmetry between the latter and the argument Condiv is making about undocumented labor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/27/opinion/do-sweatshops-lift-workers-out-of-poverty.html

sweatshop laborers would be better off without sweatshops

or do you think the companies doing this are just going in and treating workers well and paying them well instead of paying corrupt governments to gently caress with the populace?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

If the narrative is "we should ban sweatshop products so foreign employers are forced to improve working conditions", I have no problem.
Uh actually you have argued against this in the past, extensively, on free trade grounds. Change your mind?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

lol yeah, and coincidentally you just so happen to argue that improving working conditions from goddamn sweatshops inevitably leads to unemployment so you shouldn't even try to help the workers. Where have we heard that one before?

In summary:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

If regulations aren't sufficient, what is? You seem to be suggesting that if you put in place proper labor and safety regulations, that the Bangladeshi economy will evaporate overnight. But if it's the case that Bangladesh simply can't have an economy without exploiting its workforce, then it doesn't seem like there's any solution, regulations or not.

So it sounds an awful lot like you're walking down the path toward "this is the best of all possible worlds, better just leave these people to their fate". Status quo, in other words. What a shock, coming from you!

If it's the case that Bangladesh can't have an economy without exploitation, then banning exploitation would be worse for Bangladesh than the status quo, because we know people prefer exploitative labor to unemployment and starvation. Bad is better than awful. If regulations are designed to force employers to improve conditions, great. If regulations are designed to force employers to move jobs back to the US, Bangladesh is going to be worse off.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There's already a way to be legally allowed here. Those who try to jump the line should be disenfranchised and marginalized in favor of those who come in properly.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

There's already a way to be legally allowed here. Those who try to jump the line should be disenfranchised and marginalized in favor of those who come in properly.

Nope, but thanks for playing!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

If it's the case that Bangladesh can't have an economy without exploitation, then banning exploitation would be worse for Bangladesh than the status quo, because we know people prefer exploitative labor to unemployment and starvation. Bad is better than awful. If regulations are designed to force employers to improve conditions, great. If regulations are designed to force employers to move jobs back to the US, Bangladesh is going to be worse off.

sweatshops are not charity, unless you consider debt bondage and indentured servitude charity

https://www.outsideonline.com/1999281/dirty-secret-hiding-our-outerwear

quote:

In early June, Patagonia revealed on its company blog, the Cleanest Line, that three years ago it discovered evidence of “egregious employment practices,” including debt bondage, among seven of its suppliers. It worked to remediate the problem, only to discover that it was widespread, so it created a special policy across all its Taiwanese suppliers to root out the practice.

Debt bondage “creates a form of indentured servitude that could also qualify, less politely, as modern-day slavery. And it’s been happening in our own supply chain,” the company wrote.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 11, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol yeah, and coincidentally you just so happen to argue that improving working conditions from goddamn sweatshops inevitably leads to unemployment so you shouldn't even try to help the workers. Where have we heard that one before? :

It's not necessarily true but it's possible. It depends on the regulations and the labor market specifically. And it's the implicit assumption of anyone asserting that bans on sweatshop labor will bring jobs back to the US.

Kilroy posted:

Uh actually you have argued against this in the past, extensively, on free trade grounds. Change your mind?

You've shown a complete lack of ability to read, comprehend, and remember my posts so quotes, please.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alienwarehouse posted:

I was watching the video where Don Mattrick says, "We have a console for people without internet; it's called the xbox 360,"

And I had the horrible thought-

"We have a universal standard of living in America; it's called the Correctional System + recidivism." :gonk:
"They get a free room, food, and even employment (13th Amendment? I forget) at taxpayer expense!" :bahgawd:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 11, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i gotta say, it's always a shock when centrists defend sweatshops as uplifting people out of poverty. as if they forget what unrestricted capitalism looked like in our past and how we made that poo poo illegal cause it was no good for anyone but the ultrarich

oh well, might as well embrace slavery so that my t-shirts are $0.01 cheaper

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i mean i'm sure multinationals that have revenue greater than the countries they're putting sweatshops in aren't reviving every evil of capitalism they can

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i wonder how many slave children are currently enjoying america's many charitable sweatshops? good thing they have work to do and little limbs to lose in machinery

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Condiv posted:

i gotta say, it's always a shock when centrists defend sweatshops as uplifting people out of poverty. as if they forget what unrestricted capitalism looked like in our past and how we made that poo poo illegal cause it was no good for anyone but the ultrarich

oh well, might as well embrace slavery so that my t-shirts are $0.01 cheaper

I remember the first time I got into an argument with a couple of liberals over the subject of sweat shops and undocumented workers. It was the moment I realized that no, actually liberals aren't allies of leftists like me...

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

You've shown a complete lack of ability to read, comprehend, and remember my posts so quotes, please.
gently caress off we're not doing that again. Last time I dug through your posts you just responded that you didn't say the things I literally just quoted back to you. At least own your neoliberalism, you colossal douche.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

sweatshops are not charity, unless you consider debt bondage and indentured servitude charity

https://www.outsideonline.com/1999281/dirty-secret-hiding-our-outerwear

Ugh, what a bunch of assholes Patagonia are. Don't they realize how many Taiwanese slave labourers they're putting out of work by doing this?

JeffersonClay posted:

It's not necessarily true but it's possible. It depends on the regulations and the labor market specifically. And it's the implicit assumption of anyone asserting that bans on sweatshop labor will bring jobs back to the US.

It's funny how the mere possibility that some sweatshop workers could get unemployed as a result of worker protections is enough for you to vigorously defend modern day slavery. And when I say funny, I mean it's loving ghoulish.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/862735013623857153

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

What point are you actually trying to make here? Is it that regulations that cause sweatshops to close are bad or that blanket bans on such jobs are bad? Or are you trying to say that regulations would always cause sweatshops to close and therefore are bad?

The point you're trying to making is either incredibly banal or naive. I don't think anyone here would be against reducing the number of lovely sweatshop jobs to replace them with something more humane. It is almost like you are taking this one component out of context, ignoring the rest, and then charging at that windmill in all of your impotent platitudal glory.

MooselanderII fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 12, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

gently caress off we're not doing that again. Last time I dug through your posts you just responded that you didn't say the things I literally just quoted back to you. At least own your neoliberalism, you colossal douche.

Last time you dug through my posts you failed to find any that supported your claim. The same thing would have happened here.

MooselanderII posted:

What point are you actually trying to make here? Is it that regulations that cause sweatshops to close are bad or that blanket bans on such jobs are bad? Or are you trying to say that regulations would always cause sweatshops to close and therefore are bad?

Banning exploitative labor conditions only helps the exploited if better jobs take their place. The people who assert that these bans would result in more jobs for US workers are admitting that the current exploited workers will be worse off. Condiv is making this argument, right now in this thread, about banning undocumented labor. Trump made a very similar argument about sweatshop labor.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Last time you dug through my posts you failed to find any that supported your claim. The same thing would have happened here.

Banning exploitative labor conditions only helps the exploited if better jobs take their place. The people who assert that these bans would result in more jobs for US workers are admitting that the current exploited workers will be worse off. Condiv is making this argument, right now in this thread, about banning undocumented labor. Trump made a very similar argument about sweatshop labor.

you really call indentured servitude a job?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

You made a poorly thought-out and transparent attempt to gaslight the thread and it didn't pan out. The same would have happened here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

twodot posted:

How is it wasteful? The IRS already understands how to tax people's Social Security income. The only costs are printing/mail the physical check and tax forms, and then IRS agents doing the job they already have.

Oh no, I agree about that. I was talking about the idea of an across the board flat basic income (i.e. every American regardless of income/wealth being given $X a year). I agree it would be best to give a basic income that's a function of your earnings.

JeffersonClay posted:

This is only kinda true in the sense that requiring exploitative jobs to provide better conditions to their workers is preferable to nixing the jobs outright (though in practice better conditions might result in the job landscape shifting).

JeffersonClay posted:

Someone is going to be working those jobs regardless, assuming they're not something that can easily be automated (and even the automation is preferable if the government had the sense to properly tax corporations and redistribute the gains). I'd rather workers being paid terrible wages be replaced by workers being payed reasonable wages.

JeffersonClay posted:

This is an overly simplistic view. When sweatshops become the main source of labor, it results in a general restructuring of a region's economy and job market that eliminates many of the jobs people would have worked in the past.

Regardless, even in areas where sweatshops do provide a superior standard of living, that still doesn't make them acceptable. There's no reason not to mandate corporations supply such workers with better wages and labor standards (or mandate that corporations only source regions with acceptable labor laws). While this might result in many people losing their jobs, they would be replaced by other people who are actually paid reasonable wages.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I call the jobs undocumented immigrants do jobs, and I dare say they'd agree. They would prefer not to lose them. They would not greet a bunch of ICE officials arresting their employer and shuttering their workplace as liberators.

• Locked thread