Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Rep. Eric Swalwell seems like a pretty great guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

We were pretty close to ousting Knight, I think we'll get him in '18.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just saw some rumbling on Facebook about this bill, which passed the Assembly yesterday:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB22

It replaces references to "the Communist Party" with more generic references to any organization that advocates overthrowing the US government through force or violence. Seems sensible, right?

I just had to write my Assembly member to ask why he voted No. We'll see if he answers.

Meanwhile, the Sacramento Bee came up with this headline: "California Assembly approves bill protecting communists from being fired by state." Uhh, not quite, guys.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 10, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CPColin posted:

Just saw some rumbling on Facebook about this bill, which passed the Assembly yesterday:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB22

It replaces references to "the Communist Party" with more generic references to any organization that advocates overthrowing the US government through force or violence. Seems sensible, right?

I just had to write my Assembly member to ask why he voted No. We'll see if he answers.

This is bizarre in the first place. This allows termination people who are associated with groups who believe strong line (force) but doesn't distinct from hard (violence). Anything other than blind loyalty is considered bad.

I should be allow to be government employee and have dissenting opinions. This isn't the private sector where you're supposed to shut up and submit.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 10, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
So you would vote No and repeal the whole section? Or vote Yes, so the outdated references go away, and later try to repeal the whole section?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'd vote no. I think my main hangup is force is exceptionally ambiguous: Tea party was a "force". Leftists should be allowed a "force" as well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
doesn't the original law only refer to CPUSA anyway?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's McCarthyist bullshit and I'd argue the entire law should be struck as unfit for society. Do we really have no other authority to remove civil servants who pose a clear and present danger to the republic?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

incoherent posted:

I'd vote no. I think my main hangup is force is exceptionally ambiguous: Tea party was a "force". Leftists should be allowed a "force" as well.

Go ask a lawyer what 'force' means at law, but I'm curious if you really think it means the same as 'force' in narrative.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

incoherent posted:

Ya know I think when legislation says "overthrow the U.S. Government by force" I don't think they mean "force" as in "group of people"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's super obvious that the point of the law is to allow the termination of any government employee that is a member of an organization that advocates for overthrowing the lawful government through extralegal violence or force and I cannot understand how it is at all controversial.

incoherent posted:

I should be allow to be government employee and have dissenting opinions. This isn't the private sector where you're supposed to shut up and submit.

There is a broad range of acceptable opinions for a government employee, but "the government is illegitimate and should be forcibly dissolved" is not one of them.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 10, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

its amazing how other states that dont have such a law have managed to avoid being overthrown in bolshevik uprisings

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its amazing how other states that dont have such a law have managed to avoid being overthrown in bolshevik uprisings

that we know of

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i for one embrace the people's republic of california

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

CPColin posted:

So you would vote No and repeal the whole section? Or vote Yes, so the outdated references go away, and later try to repeal the whole section?
I don't like this law, but I like that it's restricted to one single party that (I think) doesn't exist by that name here. I don't think it should be helped by increasing the number of people it could apply to.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.syracuse.com/olympics/index.ssf/2017/05/los_angeles_olympic_dreams_might_be_delayed_to_2028.html

Olympics looks all kinds of hosed. Nobody is looking to bid after 2028, LA may not get 2024 but will fast track to 2028 for big concessions?

My take: We (LA) are looking forward to the bid for 2024 to accelerate key public transit in the area. Major (subway all the way to the VA) and minor (linking LAX to light rail) were all going to benefit from federal "make it rain for the olympics" laws that typically get passed. We'd get a ton of concessions being the only real player for 2028 but I don't think we should have to wait. I am slightly sympathetic to france getting it because they didn't elect a nazi (participation trophyism itt)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It seems like the Olympics is just a big, pointless boondoggle nowadays, especially after Sochi and Rio. Let's pass on the whole drat thing and let the French deal with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It seems like the Olympics is just a big, pointless boondoggle nowadays, especially after Sochi and Rio. Let's pass on the whole drat thing and let the French deal with it.
I don't know when the Olympics became an excuse to build a bunch of billion dollar sports venues that never get used again, but that poo poo will hit a break point sometime and they're lucky that Sochi/Rio didn't implode on them.

Also the games would set off such a loving catastrophic rentbomb in LA metro that it may finally push significant gentrification into Compton/Watts.

And traffic, my God the traffic.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

I don't like this law, but I like that it's restricted to one single party that (I think) doesn't exist by that name here. I don't think it should be helped by increasing the number of people it could apply to.

Are you serious? Animal shelters don't hire people who believe in dog fighting, pharmacists can't have drug problems, why do you think the state government should be forced to hire people who are in favor of its violent destruction?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I heard local police departments are trying to develop a breathalyzer that could somehow detect whether someone is too impaired from marijuana to legally drive. Is this even possible? Lawyers are gonna have a field day.

I have a bad feeling there will be extremely selective enforcement of 'driving while high' regardless.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

And traffic, my God the traffic.

_only reason_ anyone in LA wants it is to push all the metro projects through. Every event would be housed around rail or subway connection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ewd4oUD9TI

Gentrifying watts is just a metro line away from reality. Vice was ahead of the curve.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 12, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Please God no Olympics. Metro funding would be nice but it would cost us an enormous amount to host it so I doubt it would be worth it.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

LA at least has most of the facilities already, right? I mean they've had the Olympics before and they're already building the Rams a stupid new stadium. I'm sure it would still be a mess, but they won't be building potempkin villages or flattening slums for empty arenas like Sochi and Rio did.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The olympic village is literally UCLA. We're only building a few sites, if any. Tokyo is spending 5 billion for 2020, France pledge 3 for their bid. We're pretty much using private money, with some state money to cover overages.

We're not building loving soccer stadiums in the loving amazon here.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I was under the impression that the mass transit funds to speed up the Purple Line construction for the Olympics were already appropriated and ready to go via the success of Measure M? :shrug:

Either way, I think we're screwed thanks to the Trump visa stuff revealing us to just be politically unstable on immigration to the point of madness, but the IOC also seems to be floating the idea that they'll award the 2024 and 2028 Olympics simultaneously so they can avoid the embarrassment of everyone dropping out as they see the price tag, so who knows? (The IOC won't do that in the end because all the 2028 candidate cities would be unbelievably pissed, but it does seem to signal desperation.)

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Escalation costs are killing the construction industry right now and that's only for 2-3 year terms, I can only imagine how badly they will underestimate the costs 10 years out.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I was under the impression that the mass transit funds to speed up the Purple Line construction for the Olympics were already appropriated and ready to go via the success of Measure M? :shrug:

Measures M would only handle the building of a 2024 timeframe, with no guarantee of a olympic-use timeline. The VA stop for example would be a 2026 window, realistically.

The bid and M just happened to coincide with each other.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So what is it with California and legislating autographs?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jeez. If you want provenance, just ask your friend to take a picture of you at the signing. Otherwise just enjoy your lovely autographed comic.

I hate to go all "hurr, free market" but collectors that really care about this poo poo should demand provenance, while everyone else can have their cool book with some hand writing in it.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 12, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckbag posted:

LA at least has most of the facilities already, right? I mean they've had the Olympics before and they're already building the Rams a stupid new stadium. I'm sure it would still be a mess, but they won't be building potempkin villages or flattening slums for empty arenas like Sochi and Rio did.

Yes, they're planning on building one small arena for indoor volleyball or something. Everything else is using our existing infrastructure.

https://la.curbed.com/2017/5/8/15581396/2024-olympics-los-angeles-plans-venues
https://la.curbed.com/maps/olympics-map-los-angeles-2024-bid

It's gonna be much, MUCH cheaper than any other recent games.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 13, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah it seems like the IOC might have learned something from the last several games and decided that returning to somewhere established like Paris or LA might not be a bad idea.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Oh fun. I just had somebody come by my house and ask me to sign a petition to stop the gas tax, that was actually a recall petition of my state senator (Josh Newman).

Fun times.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Instant Sunrise posted:

Oh fun. I just had somebody come by my house and ask me to sign a petition to stop the gas tax, that was actually a recall petition of my state senator (Josh Newman).

Fun times.

There's a law for that. If in doubt, they have an actual pick-up-the-phone help line.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey guys, the single-player bill is still kicking: http://ktla.com/2017/04/27/bill-to-create-single-payer-health-care-in-california-passes-1st-test-in-committee/

This may or may not be worth keeping in mind given recent events.

e:f;b

Well, the Califonia Democratic Party just elected a Pharma lobbyist as its Chair, so this will probably die soon.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yep, Clinton-voting liberal Democrats are rushing to stomp out the single-payer fire in favor of a "public option." John Burton told the California Nurses Association to "shut the gently caress up or go outside."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Forceholy posted:

Well, the Califonia Democratic Party just elected a Pharma lobbyist as its Chair, so this will probably die soon.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yep, Clinton-voting liberal Democrats are rushing to stomp out the single-payer fire

The Clinton rot must be removed root and limb. They brought us Trump and they still aren't satisfied.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Duckbag posted:

Yeah it seems like the IOC might have learned something from the last several games and decided that returning to somewhere established like Paris or LA might not be a bad idea.

Hahahahahabribeshahahahaha.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Some goon help me because I haven't been paying attention. Does single payer have even a possibility of passing? Who should I make a call to?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Some goon help me because I haven't been paying attention. Does single payer have even a possibility of passing? Who should I make a call to?

for the next hour and change these guys on the appropriations committee

Members:
Senator Ricardo Lara (Chair)
Senator Patricia Bates (Vice Chair)
Senator Jim Beall
Senator Steven Bradford
Senator Jerry Hill
Senator Jim Nielsen
Senator Scott Wiener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is tangential, but last I checked SB 179, a bill involving trans rights and stuff, was also in appropriations or whatever, and while it hasn't gotten nearly as much attention it's important too. If anyone could mention it and try to support it as well, that would be good.