Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Phenotype posted:

I think the main issue here is that you're equating glands with sentience. They may have been living, thinking beings in the Framework, but it may have been slightly different than the real world human experience, and so they've never experienced stuff like adrenaline or endorphins before, and Aida was a little overwhelmed.
But doesn't that then mean that the "adrenaline" and "endorphins" they've experienced in the Framework are just emulations or approximations of the real adrenaline and endorphins that humans experience? It's an imperfect mimicry. It looks like what it should look like, but it doesn't actual feel like it. If we follow that train of logic, doesn't that make their actual emotions like love or hate or fear or joy mere emulations/approximations of real human emotions?

The general "logic" I'm working off is this: if a robot touches cold water or warm water and thinks that his fingers feel colder or warmer and reacts exactly like how someone might react when they're colder or warmer...well, then there's frankly no consequential difference between that and a real human who feels that he's cold or warm. If you think and react and behave in perfectly biological ways, even if it's coded behavior, there's really no difference between that and actual biology.

But the thing with this episode is that it absolutely establishes a difference -- maybe an outright unbridgeable difference -- between simulated biology and actual biology, between approximations and the real deal. Aida herself is the one making most of these statements: a robot may be programmed to react to cold in completely believable ways, but nope, it actually has no ideal what cold feels like. If it experiences cold water the way that humans experience cold water it is gonna freak the gently caress out and malfunction up and down the street. And likewise its reactions to love and jealousy and regret.

And now people say there's a difference between Aida/Ophelia and the other Framework sentiences and, like, I genuinely don't know where that's coming from because I genuinely cannot recall anything in the show that has suggested this. In fact, characters in the show have repeatedly refuted this notion by saying that the people Fitz and May killed in there weren't real, except for Mace. Hope and Trip and Ward and all the rest can be as based on real people as the Darkhold can manage...but, at the end of the day, if their approximations of feelings and emotions within the framework of the Framework are anything at all like Ophelia's (and, again, I cannot understand why people would think otherwise; Radcliffe created Aida to pass for human, but he also created the Framework denizens to do the exact same thing), then they are all still pretenses of people -- good pretenses, no doubt of that! -- and not actual people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

except you're ignoring the Framework grew and expanded not just based on the Darkhold's magic but through the computational power of the world wide web.

Its simulation abilities are beyond any one computer system alone, and as advanced as AIDA is, she's a small, closed system.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It doesn't matter how big it is. It doesn't matter how complex or multifacted or layered. If the way that the Framework allows its denizens to affect emotions and sensations is remotely comparable to how it allowed Ophelia to affect emotions and sensations, then those aren't real emotions. And I've seen nothing from the show that suggests the...what, operation code for emotions and sensations?...was somehow different for Ophelia and the others. At absolute best, we can only say that it wasn't touched on at all.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
And Aida could tell the difference between them, to the point where she couldn't handle actual emotions and sensations.

Even if the "inhabitants" of the framework could be counted as "real" (nah), shutting it down is the right move - it will always be an awful hell dimension manifested by an evil book.

Bringing the "people" out of the framework will cause some other calamity. This isn't even a theory - the Darkhold is an actual evil book that corrupts everything it's involved with. That may even be it's purpose. This isn't some philosophical thing - it's pattern recognition.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You're discounting the possibility that the citizens of the Framework have simulated biological systems that inform their computerized emotions and decisions and whatnot in their virtual environment, which is again, wholly possible, because because the system of the Framework is fundamentally different from AIDA's. That the Framework can emulate human biology on a level AIDA can't is also supported by the fact that studying virtual Inhumans gave AIDA the knowledge she needed to give her real body actual powers.

Honestly, accepting that there's nothing real about the Framework, or its people, basically means accepting that what they fought for there, and those inspiring moments where Jeffrey gave his life for kids, where Ward persevered despite wondering whether he'd get Skye back, where Coulson convinced the people to rise up against HYDRA, those meant nothing whatsoever. That they are stories that are devoid of any meaning and consequence. It's not just about sussing out the in universe technical issues, it's about not wanting to effect that this season spent a whole third of its run time on poo poo that didn't matter.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
They mean something to the "real" people that participated in them, so they aren't meaningless.

Shut down the framework, shoot 3d-printed Hope in the face, burn it all, get the required therapy to move on. Literally 0 things that come from the Darkhold should be kept around.

Mack can be saved, but Radcliffe's done.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

OB_Juan posted:

shoot 3d-printed Hope in the face

Jesus Christ.

Just.

Jesus Christ.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You guys are giving this 10000% more thought than the writers did. Framework probably getting shut down in the finale anyways.

OB_Juan posted:

Shut down the framework, shoot 3d-printed Hope in the face, burn it all, get the required therapy to move on. Literally 0 things that come from the Darkhold should be kept around.

Mack can be saved, but Radcliffe's done.

:agreed:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BORN TO DIE
FRAMEWORK IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 2017
I am trash android
7,000,000,000 DEAD SIMULATIONS

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Whatever comes out of the framework's not Hope. It's a simulation of Hope that existed in a hell dimension/video game powered by a literal evil artifact. She will, intrinsically, cause chaos and sorrow everywhere she goes, and be a living foothold for the Darkhold's (or whatever made it's) eternal shenanigans.

That's the Darkhold in every case - you get what you want, but get it in the way that will most destroy you.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
https://twitter.com/clarkgregg/status/862814568665370624

This seems like a pretty good source...

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
SEASON 5 BAYBAYYYY

https://twitter.com/AndyBehbakht/status/862814309876981761

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno, what's he really ever done?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/abc-renews-agents-shield-1002925

quote:

Agents of SHIELD has been renewed for a fifth season. Marvel's first live-action scripted drama will return for a fifth season. After moving back an hour to 10 p.m. on Tuesdays, the series has found its footing and helped solve the network's problem in the slot. The drama remains a solid DVR performer and is a sturdy performer internationally. Sources tell THR that the drama starring Clark Gregg and Ming Na has been working to reduce costs for its fifth season, with ABC looking to lower the drama's budget on the ABC Studios-produced series. Season four averaged a 1.7 among adults 18-49 with seven days of DVR and 4.6 million total viewers. It will join fellow Marvel drama The Inhumans on the network's schedule.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I need to know in what blooper reel or whatever that screencap was taken, because that's an amazing image.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
If they don't use the magical 3D printer to print out at least a couple more Koenigs I'll be very disappointed.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

looks like ghost rider is getting that practical helmet!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ol qwerty bastard posted:

If they don't use the magical 3D printer to print out at least a couple more KoenigsWards & Tripps I'll be very disappointed.

ftfy

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Wooooooooooo~

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:woop:

Great news, and it's no surprise ABC is looking to reduce costs. TV shows get more expensive the longer they run after all

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hell yes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

looks like ghost rider is getting that practical helmet!

Quake will use her powers even less now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yay.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

Aww gently caress you, I'm :toxx: ing that it does.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

care to oppose that?

gently caress yeah

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
gently caress yeah! gently caress YEAH!

I hope they keep the 3 story arc thing going next season.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

hamsystem posted:

gently caress yeah! gently caress YEAH!

I hope they keep the 3 story arc thing going next season.

They can do any god drat thing they want and I'll watch with rapt attention. These showrunners are fantastic at their job.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Quake will use her powers even less now.

lol they'll do that Star Trek shake the camera make the actors wobble around thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At least Yo-yo's power will be easy on a reduced budget. One second she's here, the next she's still here but stuff happened.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
no new sets. the entirety of the season will take part on the interior of the Zephyr.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Here's John Hannah's tweet in response to Gregg announcing the renewal, just copy pasting and bolding since I suck at twitter:

Congratulations to the most fantastic team I've ever had the pleasure to play with. Not with whimper at all!!!

Big slam on the Touch of Cloth cast :colbert:. But yeah, Hannah remains real cool.

My guess at how they reduce costs is less people with powers as opponents next season, maybe they come up with a foe that isn't Hydra, and isn't really inhuman related, but is still threatening bad guys with guns. Maybe a return to more spycraft stuff.

You can go a long way with a little in T.V. effects these days though, so I don't think it'll be too noticeable. The heart of the show is the writing and watching Fitz suffer every season, no reason to expect that to decline.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 12, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

No, no, we need more information from posters like Barry Convex.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I hope to never post anything that gets that kind of longevity on the forums

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a shame that Elizabeth Henstridge and Clark Gregg are gonna die in four months.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
It's a pity for Ophelia that she has a soul now because Ghost Rider gonna penance stare that bitch into oblivion.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

To be fair, Barry repeatedly refusing to admit they were doing the Inhuman stuff in season 2 made the reveal much more satisfying than it would have been on its own merits.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Yeah you're assuming AoS is getting another season.

:colbert:

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Has anyone here ever actually seen a chicken?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stunt Rock posted:

To be fair, Barry repeatedly refusing to admit they were doing the Inhuman stuff in season 2 made the reveal much more satisfying than it would have been on its own merits.

Rarity changing the OP to be his post and a bunch of gifs of Skye emerging from the cocoon was :discourse:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BSam posted:

Aww gently caress you, I'm :toxx: ing that it does.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

care to oppose that?

Senerio posted:

Fine, but instead of paying money to the forums for my toxx, I'll send it to a worthy cause:

$1 USD to RAINN for every episode in the initial Season 5 order if we get a Season 5 to be paid within 2 weeks of the episode order.

They didn't specify, so I'm assuming a full season order, and I rounded up to 25, because why not.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So, maybe this is common knowledge, but I did not know this about Chloe Bennet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNUvqIsYo7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boxen posted:

So, maybe this is common knowledge, but I did not know this about Chloe Bennet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNUvqIsYo7k

Huuhuhuhuh, wang.

• Locked thread