Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

In Japan women past 25 are called "Christmas Cakes" because no one wants them past the 25th and they'll die alone. Cheery!
no they aren't

or rather, that was semi-common verbage in the late 80s through to the mid-90s, but it's super unacceptable at this point and even most men would go 'what the gently caress dude' if you busted it out in any serious context. japan has some hosed up cultural baggage wrt women and im sure a lot of older guys still buy into that line of thinking even if they keep that wording on the downlow, including several politicians (surprise, a lot of conservative politicians are lovely,) but don't exaggerate. single women past the age of 25 aren't publicly paraded around town so everyone can yell christmas cake at them, you goober. the fact that this even existed and was used is hosed up and weird but you've gotten like 3 people going 'woah i cant believe japan is that hosed up!!' based off your third-hand misinterpretation of an actual problem with a country's culture. And even when it was prominent it was the kind of thing gossip rags would print about female celebrities, not a national pasttime.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Date your teacher, date your hot doctor, and date your cute student president. Live out your dreams Joker

Motto posted:

Piss

e: date all the older women imo

Just not all at the same time.

Too many waifus will ruin your laifu!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway you can date kawakami because persona 5 is a power fantasy for teenaged japanese boys and a lot of them want to gently caress their teachers, and also because it's made by a bunch of guys in their 40s-50s who probably wanted to gently caress their teachers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

no they aren't

or rather, that was semi-common verbage in the late 80s through to the mid-90s, but it's super unacceptable at this point and even most men would go 'what the gently caress dude' if you busted it out in any serious context. japan has some hosed up cultural baggage wrt women and im sure a lot of older guys still buy into that line of thinking even if they keep that wording on the downlow, including several politicians (surprise, a lot of conservative politicians are lovely,) but don't exaggerate. single women past the age of 25 aren't publicly paraded around town so everyone can yell christmas cake at them, you goober. the fact that this even existed and was used is hosed up and weird but you've gotten like 3 people going 'woah i cant believe japan is that hosed up!!' based off your third-hand misinterpretation of an actual problem with a country's culture. And even when it was prominent it was the kind of thing gossip rags would print about female celebrities, not a national pasttime.

Is there still a general bias against single women over a certain age, just passively? I'm asking entirely out of curiosity--my knowledge of the whole thing begins and ends with that old "Christmas cake" idea that I didn't know was (rightfully) no longer acceptible.

MyLoathsomeCowboy
May 6, 2007
A fictitious force
as a 27 year-old manboy, Kawakami now and forever.

but as a 16 year-old boyman, not so much.

Yet another reason we need an adult cast in P6, but we'd probably just end up with another Ken situation.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I dunno why people are pretending that bias against older women is somehow a japanese invention when in the west we have "cougar" a term that is either a slur or a word that's been co-oped in the same general way racial slurs might be depending on who says it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, kind of? There's very definitely a 'women should get married and have kids' bias that is a little more extreme than you'd see in like, most parts of the US save insanely conservative small bible belt towns, but at the same time it's less about 'women are tools to be used' and more about 'contributing to society,' and naturally being useful to society includes making sure that society lives on, especially in a country that's facing a declining birth rate. There's a similar, though obviously less extreme, bias towards unmarried men, with the main difference being that the cutoff point for guys is like 50 and the cutoff point for women is like 25.

And politicians have said some really hosed up things, but that's more a function of Japan having been run by a bunch of old conservative guys for the past 70 years exclusively than Japan somehow being super bad and the worst ever.

The sentiments that lead to that phrase ever being a thing at all still exist, and they're hosed up and bad, but it's important to understand that the Japanese are, uh, people. They don't express those cultural sentiments in the most cartoonish and exaggerated way possible. It's more just a pervasive attitude than constant insults being rained down on a single woman the moment she turns 26, and, uh, living in the conservative part of Virginia I can tell you that that is not an issue unique to Japan. you know, like going to visit your mom and her tutting about when you're going to get married and she knows some nice guys, or whispering about how she's sure your cousin's career is very important and exciting but it'd be nice if she settled down sometime.

Not to make excuses for cultural shittiness, but it's important to have an understanding of how it actually manifests than just going through your life assuming ridiculous extremes about foreign cultures.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I dunno why people are pretending that bias against older women is somehow a japanese invention when in the west we have "cougar" a term that is either a slur or a word that's been co-oped in the same general way racial slurs might be depending on who says it

to be fair 'cougar' implies desirability in a sense, while 'christmas cake' implies the exact opposite

you don't exactly want to marry a cougar or validate her personhood tho soooo it's still pretty lovely

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, when the SIU folks joke that Sae should take a vacation to find a husband before it's too late, I wasn't exactly thinking to myself, "I'm glad these attitudes have been eliminated in our more enlightened countries :smug: "

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In my first playthrough I got Haru and wrote off her SL because it was already so late in the game and I needed to start focusing on what I could actually complete. I think I got like rank 1 with her.

Does finishing her SL flesh her out any besides retreading stuff about her dad or fiance? She really had no presence in the game for me whatsoever besides being the insider during Operation: Burgerman.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Haru's is probably the best party S-Link and one of the top in the whole game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

She's fun and going to open a coffee shop

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

ken is underage, joker is only "underage"

That's a pretty dangerous road to go down

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*opens persona 5 thread*

This is why man is doomed...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Harrow posted:

Is there still a general bias against single women over a certain age, just passively? I'm asking entirely out of curiosity--my knowledge of the whole thing begins and ends with that old "Christmas cake" idea that I didn't know was (rightfully) no longer acceptible.

Has there ever been a non-biased general opinion against single women since the beginning of time in any country? :v:

I'm curious since everyone loves asking me this question since I was a kid until my current age wrt if I'm dating or not. I can't wait until I can officially become a spinster then retire with my 5 cats and books. We're not even going into the whole pressure of pushing the idea of marriage/romantic love as the final goal in American society for women.

Basically, I want to live a huge city apartment like Akechi and go to fashionable restaurants minus moonlighting as a spy/murderer for my evil dad. I don't care for being an idol either but hey, at least I'll get views for my blog.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Saagonsa posted:

That's a pretty dangerous road to go down
that's not the point I'm making at all. I'm pretty sure by law joker is legal consenting age in japan (and more important has gone through puberty) so trying to compare him to ken who is neither is pretty foolish.

i'm not about to open my mouth and insert both my foot and a bunch of hastily printed out statutory rape laws into it tho so I'm gonna drop this here

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If the president of France can do it, Joker can do it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

anyway you can date kawakami because persona 5 is a power fantasy for teenaged japanese boys and a lot of them want to gently caress their teachers, and also because it's made by a bunch of guys in their 40s-50s who probably wanted to gently caress their teachers.

a good woman deserves a good man

SO WHY CAN'T I GET HER AND SOJIRO TOGETHER

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

Sojiro is done with dating.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

she clearly has a thing for bad boys so I'd say Iwai is a better choice. also Sojiro is like, near retirement age.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

spit on my clit posted:

Sojiro's life is brightened when he sees Kawakami walk through the door on Valentine's Day for Joker, because at that moment he realizes that magic is real.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I don't even know why this is a discussion because Makoto is the only correct choice. :confused:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don't even know why this is a discussion because Makoto is the only correct choice. :confused:

I'm afraid that she's too 'normie' now, and must die, much like Chie before her.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Not gonna lie, if the next Persona game is native to PS4 I'd be fine with them using up all the extra processing power just to let you play matchmaker with your Social Links.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

The more the game pushed her on you, the more I wanted to unleash the wings of rebellion and choose someone else, but Haru came in too late. That's why there's NG+

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Rangpur posted:

Not gonna lie, if the next Persona game is native to PS4 I'd be fine with them using up all the extra processing power just to let you play matchmaker with your Social Links.

You can kinda sort of do this with Mishima and Ohya, but only as a way to clown on Mishima.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Next Persona uses the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor, but for S Links

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

darealkooky posted:

that's not the point I'm making at all. I'm pretty sure by law joker is legal consenting age in japan (and more important has gone through puberty) so trying to compare him to ken who is neither is pretty foolish.

Age of consent in Tokyo is 18. It's a prefectural matter, much like how it's state law in America.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Deified Data posted:

In my first playthrough I got Haru and wrote off her SL because it was already so late in the game and I needed to start focusing on what I could actually complete. I think I got like rank 1 with her.

Does finishing her SL flesh her out any besides retreading stuff about her dad or fiance? She really had no presence in the game for me whatsoever besides being the insider during Operation: Burgerman.

She buys Joker a very expensive (6000 yen) cup of coffee at one point that he only takes like one sip of.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
you're encouraged to date older women as a minor but prohibited from dating boys your age and this is why the world is filled with distortion and ruin

date your teacher tho imo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

She's not even the 2nd best Niijima sister.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She's not even the 2nd best Niijima sister.

Because she's the first, agreed.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Zore posted:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

K Prime posted:

she clearly has a thing for bad boys so I'd say Iwai is a better choice. also Sojiro is like, near retirement age.

If Sae can't handle Makoto I'm not sure dating's high on her cards.

Also Iwai is the best guy in Persona 5. Toranosuke, Yusuke and Sojiro are good but gunshop guy who just sticks a lollipop in his mouth all day is best.. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 12, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zore posted:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also Iwai is the best guy in Persona 5. Toranosuke, Yusuke and Sojiro are good but gunshop guy who just sticks a lollipop in his mouth all day is best.. :colbert:

Gettin memories of 4kids Sanji..

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If Sae can't handle Makoto I'm not sure dating's high on her cards.

Tora is more Bernie sanders Than the actual Bernie sanders, QED

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is 42 a good level for the boss of the 5th Palace?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is 42 a good level for the boss of the 5th Palace?

I think that's the level I was at.

Either way the boss is one of the easiest in the game. The slog through the palace is much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Palace 3 boss, even on merciless, is a big chump.