Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

And the banks were giving less donations to the Lib campaign funds, because they decided not to throw money after a losing prospect

Oh I'm positive after ScottyMoBoy showed them who's boss by rubbing his genitals across their profit margin and making open ended threats that the donation money will just roll back in as they try to court LNP favor in future.

After all the merchant class should know their place is always below that of the nobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Shorten sounding Prime Ministerial tonight.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Frogfingers posted:

Shorten sounding Prime Ministerial tonight.

So like Abbott then? Makes sense.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DancingShade posted:

I can't help but wonder if this is all a temper tantrum over refusing to fund the Adani mine with a bank loan.

No? Well gently caress you then, levy time.

I'm breathlessly awaiting the announcement that loans to coal mines can be deducted from the levy

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/862626256801509377

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Looks like VicPol peppersprayed some students protesting ScoMo today

whats with VicPol and using that shi all the time????

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

They're ahead of the curve? I'm sure everyone else will catch up soon.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Pyne must be dd.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
remember baby boomers started off small with a one bedroom flat paying 17 percent interest on the mortgage, and didnt overindulge with high life style of travel , , latest gadgets, entertainment, their entertainment was participating in local sports , community volunteer activities and the occasional cinema outing, they were savers not spenders. waited for car ownership and didnt waste money on the biggest and best .if had a bigger house or flat, they rented out a room to a lodger to help pay mortgage at 17 percent interest. they went without and worked hard in paid employment even if it was the jobs that alot of current centrelink recipients dont want. and paid taxes to prop up non contribuitng people. and didnt waste money on non productive and unhealthy vices... everything is relative, the system has just shifted lifestyle choices. and the governement probably may think that the baby boomers will donate their legacy to their offspring, so they wont be homeless. as they dont want to donate it to the government and nursing home is probably the next agenda of the government to take that away. alot of baby boomers have suffered too in other ways that are not seen.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Kafka Syrup posted:

Everything I say about the Party has a big ol' NSW exceptionalism caveat. Moving from QLD to the ACT really made the differences NSW has into light. Now that I have to regularly meet their OBs and be the brunt of their emails.

I read a couple of really good papers on the history of the Greens - I can't remember if it was Narelle Marigliotta or Stewart Jackson who wrote it. But they highlighted the origins of each Branch had insane amounts of influence until recently. Not just NSW's communist roots. QLD and Tasmania were both hardcore on-the-ground environmentalists, while WA sprung from the nuclear disarmament movement and Victoria and SA from community legal and health advocates. Queensland also had the conversion of the left of the Australian Democrats which changed the culture a lot about a decade ago.
The NSW Greens aren't Stalinist enough IMO.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Well I think they aren't enough Bookchinite. I guess we better split the party.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Kafka Syrup posted:

Well I think they aren't enough Bookchinite. I guess we better split the party.
No Bro. Change from within. I even brought my own ice pick!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Recoome posted:

remember baby boomers started off small with a one bedroom flat paying 17 percent interest on the mortgage, and didnt overindulge with high life style of travel , , latest gadgets, entertainment, their entertainment was participating in local sports , community volunteer activities and the occasional cinema outing, they were savers not spenders. waited for car ownership and didnt waste money on the biggest and best .if had a bigger house or flat, they rented out a room to a lodger to help pay mortgage at 17 percent interest. they went without and worked hard in paid employment even if it was the jobs that alot of current centrelink recipients dont want. and paid taxes to prop up non contribuitng people. and didnt waste money on non productive and unhealthy vices... everything is relative, the system has just shifted lifestyle choices. and the governement probably may think that the baby boomers will donate their legacy to their offspring, so they wont be homeless. as they dont want to donate it to the government and nursing home is probably the next agenda of the government to take that away. alot of baby boomers have suffered too in other ways that are not seen.

Cartoon posted:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So boomers bought their first home in 1989?

So when the some of the youngest amongst them were 30?

Riiiight.

Also I wonder what wage growth and job security looked like in the 1980s.

I love me some revisionist boomer history.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

So boomers bought their first home in 1989?

So when the some of the youngest amongst them were 30?

Riiiight.

Also I wonder what wage growth and job security looked like in the 1980s.

I love me some revisionist boomer history.

Wages in the late 80s plummeted after wage reform, however their jobs were very secure by today's standards of labour hire and casualisation. Most of the 1980's was a loving nice time to be a worker of any stripe.

It's worth bearing in mind as well that the wage reforms of the 80's led to a decent number of other reforms that delivered better social security/industrial awards on the whole. It then hosed everyone up with single enterprise bargaining, under which many workers traded out all of their workplace privileges for an extra 1% in their pay, which is why we see wage depression even in EBAs since people have nothing left to horse trade (and many don't know how or want to have a fight).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The 17% interest thing is a loving load of poo poo because when people bought that debt, they were putting their hand up for 15% or at the lowest 13.5%. Yes 17% is a bit of a jump from that, but full time employment and stability meant you could weather these increases. Today you've got highly paid people fighting over 12 month contracts, poorly paid people getting a text message the morning of work telling them if they're getting paid this week and a middle class that has either fallen away or become the rent lords thanks to the variable loans they bought at 13-15% in the 80's loving PLUMMETING in the 1990's meaning they paid off loans in record time and had a fuckload of equity available.

Anyway boomers cn eat poo poo etc, they're a pack of fat old liars and we should kill them all.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

The 17% interest thing is a loving load of poo poo because when people bought that debt, they were putting their hand up for 15% or at the lowest 13.5%. Yes 17% is a bit of a jump from that, but full time employment and stability meant you could weather these increases. Today you've got highly paid people fighting over 12 month contracts, poorly paid people getting a text message the morning of work telling them if they're getting paid this week and a middle class that has either fallen away or become the rent lords thanks to the variable loans they bought at 13-15% in the 80's loving PLUMMETING in the 1990's meaning they paid off loans in record time and had a fuckload of equity available.

Anyway boomers cn eat poo poo etc, they're a pack of fat old liars and we should kill them all.

Preach brother.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Wages in the late 80s plummeted after wage reform, however their jobs were very secure by today's standards of labour hire and casualisation. Most of the 1980's was a loving nice time to be a worker of any stripe.

It's worth bearing in mind as well that the wage reforms of the 80's led to a decent number of other reforms that delivered better social security/industrial awards on the whole. It then hosed everyone up with single enterprise bargaining, under which many workers traded out all of their workplace privileges for an extra 1% in their pay, which is why we see wage depression even in EBAs since people have nothing left to horse trade (and many don't know how or want to have a fight).

This.

I don't know how many of you have been on a bargaining team, but it's pretty loving clear from day 1 that unless you're rocking huge densities, (>30%, which is AF rare outside of pockets of the public sector, construction, maybe maritime?) , the employer holds all of the cards. The Commission is not worker-friendly and as we've recently seen has become increasingly stacked with industry figures. Businesses regularly bring union busting lawyers and peak body representatives to the table, who will do anything they can to attack the union staff on your side of the table - increasingly via litigation - if they put a foot wrong.

Abetz and then Cash refused to even come to the table for most of the last two govts, and even now I don't think the CPSU have gotten an agreement in since 2014.

And then you have union drama to deal with.

Many unions (SDA, AWU, CSA) have been criticised for signing agreements that they could have held out on based on density/union power. Several unions have the same daft left/right wing schisms that plague progressive parties. National unions tend to have a NSW faction that, thanks to dumb gently caress NSW exceptionalism, gently caress everything for everyone on the reg.

So yeah, bargaining is like running backwards naked in a corn field and the biggest problem with Shorten is he's not going to loving change a thing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

For something a little more Perth flavoured I present the town that doesn't want a maccas built because it would ruin the vibe currently provided by the car park. The reason it is getting turned into a maccas is so the guy who restored the historic pub - after they fought hard to not have it rebuilt instead - can get some of the money he spent restoring it back.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
asked my JSA if they want me to start bringing in my piss, for some reason they didn't seem keen. bunch of leaners you ask me.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Bogan King posted:

For something a little more Perth flavoured I present the town that doesn't want a maccas built because it would ruin the vibe currently provided by the car park. The reason it is getting turned into a maccas is so the guy who restored the historic pub - after they fought hard to not have it rebuilt instead - can get some of the money he spent restoring it back.

Man if you're going to make that argument, make it because there's a great late night burger joint literally across the road (Alfreds) that's a Perth institution and somewhat deserves to be protected.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is this the pub everyone was hanging their socks and undies from for years?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sure houses are two or three times more expensive than they were in the 90s and lots of people can't even afford a deposit, and sure the increase in house price entirely counters the lower interest rates, and sure the inevitable increase in interest rates would wipe out a a lot of people but, umm, loving milennials right?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sure houses are two or three times more expensive than they were in the 90s and lots of people can't even afford a deposit, and sure the increase in house price entirely counters the lower interest rates, and sure the inevitable increase in interest rates would wipe out a a lot of people but, umm, loving milennials right?

If you'd just stop eating so much avocado,

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Don Dongington posted:

If you'd just stop eating so much avocado,

the cafe industry would go broke and hundreds of jobs would be lost, not to mention the impact on mum-and-dad small business owners

the answer is clearly to get a better paying job and buy your house AND smashed avo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australia's five largest banks are prepared to launch a mining tax-style ad campaign to fight the Turnbull government's $6.2 billion new tax, with Bankers' Association chief Anna Bligh accusing the government of playing "fast and loose" with Australia's financial system.

:popcorn:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also while saving is important, no kidding that some people will go on holidays instead of saving for a house. 30 years ago, the cost of an international holiday would be a significant chunk of a house deposit. Now it's a small fraction of what you'd need.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think everyone is forgetting that the purpose of life is to procreate, work hard, practice austerity and be faithful to the Lord.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bogan King posted:

Was going to bold choice bits but gently caress that read it all.

Entsch is totally fine with losing a leg not being enough to qualify for the DSP.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Australia's five largest banks are prepared to launch a mining tax-style ad campaign to fight the Turnbull government's $6.2 billion new tax, with Bankers' Association chief Anna Bligh accusing the government of playing "fast and loose" with Australia's financial system.

:popcorn:

Did they miss the part that, unlike the mining tax, this one's a bipartisan policy and their allies on this include:

- Probably Tony Abbott
- David Lionhat

The End.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they see large numbers of customers moving to smaller banks and credit unions. NAB and poo poo fund them obviously, but smaller banks and credit unions are already cheaper and would maintain their current rates in an effort to get a lot of business.

I use ME and highly recommend them.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Latham has a cookbook coming out. I thought political advice was going to be the last thing I wanted to take from him but it turns out I was wrong.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:munch:

Luckily I don't hear too much poo poo hung on my bank (not NAB) but when it comes time to refinance the home loan or move I'll definitely be looking at one of the smaller banks or a credit union.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Bogan King posted:

Latham has a cookbook coming out. I thought political advice was going to be the last thing I wanted to take from him but it turns out I was wrong.

Some BNP guy did a cooking episode awhile ago that basically amounted to " once we have foreign recipes we don't need migration". Perhaps a similar arrangement?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I spent my 20s renting a room in a sharehouse and never travelling except for work to afford the deposit on a 1 bedroom flat.

There's people in that position now being told to buy a rental property 4 hours drive away and continue living in a sharehouse as a white collar professional in their 30s.

I'd gladly take the higher interest rate if the house price was the same relative to income.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

Some BNP guy did a cooking episode awhile ago that basically amounted to " once we have foreign recipes we don't need migration". Perhaps a similar arrangement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-4ATrE8n0

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Zenithe posted:

I'm hoping it is all aboriginal recipes. Eat the geebung Latham.

--------------------------

https://twitter.com/pleasedontatme/status/862621025372061696

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I know this is the age of equality and you shouldn't mansplain stuff to women but maybe someone should quietly whisper in Farrelly's ear that she should be digging up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

I know this is the age of equality and you shouldn't mansplain stuff to women but maybe someone should quietly whisper in Farrelly's ear that she should be digging up.

She's a bad freelancer that needs to break a picket to sell work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Is the strike just for this week? I haven't visited any Fairfax newspapers while the strike has been on and I really miss reading it at work.

• Locked thread