Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tulip posted:

Each ship can store up to 2 probes, which regenerate automatically on a timer, and can send them out in any direction. The probes reveal a radius around them, and travel for a few turns before they stop sending intel home. Once you've revealed a new star you can order any ship to travel to it and it'll take the fastest known route.

Actually you can dump as many probes as you like into the design, it just makes the ship more expensive to build and have less weapons/engines. There are also some upgraded probe technologies that hold more or regenerate them faster.

Baronjutter posted:

So after putting a few hours in there's still a lot I don't feel I get or am not sure how to handle optimally.

Happiness. I can never quite predict it and each system seems all over the place. My capital is always at 100%, my 1st colony a research based system is in the 80's, and a nearly identical in every way 3rd colony is at 30%. Random other systems hover between 20% and 70%. Yes, i know, you mouse over and it gives you a huge list of why but I don't understand half of them. There seem to be hidden penalties to happiness from planets, plus explicit anomalies that give penalties or bonuses. There's also a political angle which I have not begun to crack, plus minor races which add bonuses or maybe penalties depending on their ideology? maybe?

Each race seems to have a set ideology, my humans are all industrialists. Because I have a lot of other races in my empire I'd assume in elections it would match that. 5 industrialists plus 3 environmentalists should give 5 industrialist votes and 3 enviro votes right? No? I don't know how this works. Every system has a load of bar graphs but there's no mouse-over detail explaining what any of it means. Everything I build or do has an attached ideology to it. Doing those things make them happy? Makes the ideology more attractive? but ideology seems set per-species, I've never seen a human go from industrialist to scientist because I built a ton of labs. Yet every unhappy system is unhappy due to a -15 penalty due to no faction representation in government or something?

Being an Industrialist just means that the population is more affected by things that boost the Industrialist score and less affected by Ecologist boosts. They won't suddenly "switch" to any other faction, they'll just be Industrialists who vote Science because you built a bunch of labs there. Basically it encourages you to try to do things that match the political philosophy you want. Different governments also work somewhat different: in particular Dictatorships can easily make your entire population hate you simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do I adjust galaxy settings? on the new game page there's the word "galaxy" tucked barely visible along the bottom as well as a cropped picture of a galaxy but clicking does nothing. Is there no small/large settings? People were talking about constellations settings and all that but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Yeah, if I mouse-over the text it brings up a tooltip saying "adjust the size and settings of the galaxy" or something but.. there's nothing more. I can't scroll down, there's nothing. Bug? Not available in beta?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 12, 2017

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Baronjutter posted:

How do I adjust galaxy settings? on the new game page there's the word "galaxy" tucked barely visible along the bottom as well as a cropped picture of a galaxy but clicking does nothing. Is there no small/large settings? People were talking about constellations settings and all that but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Yeah, if I mouse-over the text it brings up a tooltip saying "adjust the size and settings of the galaxy" or something but.. there's nothing more. I can't scroll down, there's nothing. Bug? Not available in beta?

That's...weird. Here's what I see when I start a new game, highlights in red and purple mine:

All those fields inside the red box are adjustable. If you click the circle inside the purple highlight this pops up:

I can't find anything in options that is like "advanced mode" or anything like that I could enable/disable that would change that. What does your new game screen look like?

Clarste posted:

Actually you can dump as many probes as you like into the design, it just makes the ship more expensive to build and have less weapons/engines. There are also some upgraded probe technologies that hold more or regenerate them faster.

This is true.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Something must be hosed up with my game or resolution or something.

It's like it's pushed to the bottom, off the screen.

*edit*
I changed my resolution one down and now it looks like yours. Some sort of interface resolution bug.

Holy poo poo a bunch of other stuff was hosed up in the game too, I'm now getting more buttons and info and options in-game.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 12, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Bundle Stars is owned by Focus Multimedia. They are legit. I prefer them over GMG as they have Canadian as a valid currency so I don't pay the exchange rate 'tax' to make stuff cost the same as stuff on Steam. Also they give Steam keys.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Bundle Stars is owned by Focus Multimedia. They are legit. I prefer them over GMG as they have Canadian as a valid currency so I don't pay the exchange rate 'tax' to make stuff cost the same as stuff on Steam. Also they give Steam keys.

Everything on Cheapshark is legit and can be trusted. It's what I usually use for price comparison.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So after putting a few hours in there's still a lot I don't feel I get or am not sure how to handle optimally.

Happiness. I can never quite predict it and each system seems all over the place. My capital is always at 100%, my 1st colony a research based system is in the 80's, and a nearly identical in every way 3rd colony is at 30%. Random other systems hover between 20% and 70%. Yes, i know, you mouse over and it gives you a huge list of why but I don't understand half of them. There seem to be hidden penalties to happiness from planets, plus explicit anomalies that give penalties or bonuses. There's also a political angle which I have not begun to crack, plus minor races which add bonuses or maybe penalties depending on their ideology? maybe?

You have a base happiness set point, and then there are a million modifiers that go change it. You can get happiness modifiers commonly from Overexpansion (if you go to the info screen from the button on the very top left, it will tell you in the bottom right the maximum number of planets you're allowed before people get pissy), Overpopulation (if there's no more room to grow pops, people get pissy), Planet Types (if you hover over a planet's... name i think, or maybe over the planet image itself, you get an info window that tells you a bunch of stats including planet happiness modifier - nobody likes to live on lava hell planet), Anomalies (you seem to understand this one well), and Faction Representation (if a pop voted for an ideology and it's in the senate, they're happy. if they voted for an ideology that's not in the senate, they're angry.)

quote:

Each race seems to have a set ideology, my humans are all industrialists. Because I have a lot of other races in my empire I'd assume in elections it would match that. 5 industrialists plus 3 environmentalists should give 5 industrialist votes and 3 enviro votes right? No? I don't know how this works. Every system has a load of bar graphs but there's no mouse-over detail explaining what any of it means. Everything I build or do has an attached ideology to it. Doing those things make them happy? Makes the ideology more attractive? but ideology seems set per-species, I've never seen a human go from industrialist to scientist because I built a ton of labs. Yet every unhappy system is unhappy due to a -15 penalty due to no faction representation in government or something?

The ideology and voting system I think works something like this, though I'm basically making up everything under the hood: Each pop is tracked individually. They have a set of mostly hidden "voting statistics" distinct from the displayed "population ideology" that are something like Industrialist 50, Scientist 25, Pacifist 4... and when you have an election, each pop votes according to its stats. Every time you do something, it modifies the vote stats of each pop: get in a fight, all your pops get +5 Militarist; build a research lab, all the pops in the system get +10 Scientist, and so on. What the displayed population ideologies do is modify the way events change the vote stats. So the United Empire pops have Industrialist and Anti-Environmentalist; if you build a factory it normally gives your pop +10 Industrialist but it gives a UE pop +15 industrialist; similarly the farm that would normally give +10 Environmentalist only gives +5 to your UE pops.

quote:

So many system improvements have very complex rules for what they do and it's insane the game doesn't tell you what it will do to that particular system if you build it, and once built I can't seem to figure out what it's doing. For instance there's some science gameshow I can build that gives +1 science per person per planet anomaly. Does that mean every pop on a planet with an anomaly gets +1 science? Does it count up the anomalies in the system and give every planet a bonus equal to that? How does this make any sense for a gameshow?? I'd kill for a tool tip or something that would show in brackets what the building will do if built right now. So if you go to build something that says it will give you +1 influence per pop and you have 5 pops it would show you (+5 influence). So many buildings have much better bonuses in extremely specific situations or at certain happiness levels too.

Improvements work in one of three ways: per-pop, per-planet, or per-system. So that one research building has +1 science per pop and +3 research per pop on a planet with an anomaly; if you have two planets, each with two pops, and only one has an anomaly it will give (1x4 + 3x2 =) 10 science.

quote:

What do I do with all these luxury resources? Early on I was able to drag a dust tree onto a city skyline and now all my planets can get +25 dust. I see there's 2 other levels that have more boxes but are locked out (probably by tech). There's some sort of galactic market too, I bought some missing strategic resources from it once. But trade companies? Trade routes? What???

That's mostly what you do with luxuries. You can unlock more levels of System Development by unlocking new levels in the Economy and Industry tree. They also have a couple of other uses: you can spend them on your Empire Population screen to make a particular kind of population more likely to grow, or you can give them to Minor Factions that like you for special bonuses.

Trade companies and trade routes work like this: You build a trade company in any system you own. Then that lets you build one additional trade subsidiary anywhere in your empire. Each trading company you have will send a trade route to every trade subsidiary you have. Every trade route earns some Dust, Science, and strategic+luxury resources for each colonized system it passes through.

quote:

There seems to be a lot of gain for micro-managing your populations. Oh these guys produce +2 dust on sterile planets? poo poo better move them around so they're on sterile planets and move the guys who like it hot to my hot planet. This involves a crazy amount of clicking and moving pops between systems. Is there an easier way?

Not really, but I usually find that I can pretty much just ignore that and do fine. It's just an extra boost if you want to invest the time.

quote:

Combat seems lovely. The little non-interactive cutscene that plays gives almost no feedback even when on data mode to tell how/why your ships are winning or losing. It feels even more opaque and unsatisfying than stellaris combat. There's clearly a lot going on, there's bonuses for certain ship types working together, maybe? I don't know, the game certainly doesn't make any of it clear.

I don't really understand the combat well myself. I try to stick a couple of beefy defender ships along with a pack of attacker ships and that generally works out well for me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm going crazy on a new game unable to move pops between planets. I've scoured the tech screen but can't seem to figure out what tech unlocks it. Less things in the game should be totally hidden and instead grayed out with a clear "you need X tech to unlock this feature"

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'm going crazy on a new game unable to move pops between planets. I've scoured the tech screen but can't seem to figure out what tech unlocks it. Less things in the game should be totally hidden and instead grayed out with a clear "you need X tech to unlock this feature"

Between planets, you shouldn't need anything as long as you have more than two planets in the same system. Between systems, you System Development (the thing you spend luxuries on), which you unlock by teching up Economy and Industry.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Glidergun posted:

Between planets, you shouldn't need anything as long as you have more than two planets in the same system. Between systems, you System Development (the thing you spend luxuries on), which you unlock by teching up Economy and Industry.

Ahhh you need to be level 2 to move people, ok that'll do it I've been holding off selecting which luxury until I unlock more and see which i like. The selection seems really unbalanced. +50 food is useless, +50 science is nice, +50 influence??? Per turn? My capital only makes 56 a turn and my empire makes 101 all together. +50 per system seems insanely unbalanced. The choices don't seem very balanced at all. I could see if it was a choice between +50 food and +10 influence maybe (I'd still go influence) but dang. Am I missing something ?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gotta say that while I do like Endless Legend's soundtrack, I really wish it had separate tracks for each race. The game's greatest strength is the stark differences between factions and I'm finding that I'm a lot more into playing something like Necrophages when I turn off the in-game music and load up a youtube playlist of zerg/WC3 undead stuff. Makes a bigger difference that you'd think.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Ahhh you need to be level 2 to move people, ok that'll do it I've been holding off selecting which luxury until I unlock more and see which i like. The selection seems really unbalanced. +50 food is useless, +50 science is nice, +50 influence??? Per turn? My capital only makes 56 a turn and my empire makes 101 all together. +50 per system seems insanely unbalanced. The choices don't seem very balanced at all. I could see if it was a choice between +50 food and +10 influence maybe (I'd still go influence) but dang. Am I missing something ?

It's a lot easier to get to the point where further influence is useless than it is for any of the other resources, bar maybe food. It does push borders, but unless you're the UE the only place to sink your 10k stockpiled influence is on peacebuying enemy systems. And if you have the ability to do that, they probably have at least as much of an advantage in hot war. Further, +50 food is really powerful for standing up a new system and getting it to the point where it can contribute to your empire.

Also things are in fact unbalanced. Formal release is the 19th, it'll probably have a bunch of final polish things like balance in it.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 12, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

I could see if it was a choice between +50 food and +10 influence maybe (I'd still go influence) but dang. Am I missing something ?

You're playing UE so influence is really useful for them. Other races need other things.

I'm talking out my rear end here because I'm waiting for release to actually play my first real game, but I think it's a pretty valid guess based on how EL works -- the races are radically different and all their their fortes. UE's is influence.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

:getin:

e:
Managing manpower as the Vodyani seems unnecessarily difficult, I've spent a lot of time just hovering over things, trying to figure out how it worked. I seriously misinterpreted how important Chain Gang is.

Here's a headscratcher from ES1.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 12, 2017

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Aeterni volunt!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Rival outpost"
is there any way of finding out WHO's outpost? That's always been a problem in the endless games and some other 4x games, they'll not make it 100% clear who's who. sometimes they'll use the leader/player name, sometimes they'll use the nation name, sometimes they'll use a symbol, and in this case maybe just a colour? Do i need to take a screen shot and see the RGB value and compare to my diplomacy screen? It's nice that they have a colourblind mode but I shouldn't have to memorize the colour, player name, and empire name together to know what's going on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

You want to get +50 anything ASAP, except maybe manpower or trade. Having 50 food or industry is an insane jumpstart. Remember that these things are practically free to build on fresh new colonies.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

IAmTheRad posted:

Cool thanks for the vote of confidence. Had never heard of this place before and I have a buddy who is super into coupons and deals and he linked it to me.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Vargs posted:

Gotta say that while I do like Endless Legend's soundtrack, I really wish it had separate tracks for each race. The game's greatest strength is the stark differences between factions and I'm finding that I'm a lot more into playing something like Necrophages when I turn off the in-game music and load up a youtube playlist of zerg/WC3 undead stuff. Makes a bigger difference that you'd think.

Each race does seem to have a theme that pops up more often when you play that race. But they'll all show up eventually regardless of what faction you are.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
how does overexpansion work on huge galaxies? does doing a world conquest make your own empire loathe you?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
So I've noticed a bizarre, creeping problem in this current playthrough. Committing some sort of action with some sort of immediate consequence has some sort of cumulative delay over several turns until it eventually doesn't register at all. The UI will make whatever noise you get when you press the button, whether adding an improvement to a colony queue, saving skill points on heroes, and game-breakingly, being unable to either fight or retreat from a battle.

I can still do things like min/max event notifications, zoom in and out of planets, open the management screens and select which hero skills I want to put points into.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just came to post something along the same lines. I got a popup asking to hire a new hero except I couldn't for some reason, it just wouldn't work despite making clicky noises. I realized I had 5/5 heroes, aww that's too bad there's a cap. Well now I can't queue up anything, I can't move pops to a newly colonized planet, I can't do anything. I can interact with the interface fine, just nothing sticks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hey y'all, so how is the combat in Endless Space 2? ES1 was so bad that it was a dealbreaker for me. EL's combat was better but still annoying/bland enough that I just wanted to auto-resolve it most of the time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hey y'all, so how is the combat in Endless Space 2? ES1 was so bad that it was a dealbreaker for me. EL's combat was better but still annoying/bland enough that I just wanted to auto-resolve it most of the time.

you're in luck, you are going to auto resolve 100% of your fights

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Only just realized that you can use the same luxuries in EL multiple times at once. poo poo, that woulda been great to know earlier. I can just eat all of these things when I only have 1-3 cities. Seems particularly great for Allayi, especially if you get that legendary quest that gives like 100 wine.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It took me to turn 100 in my first ES2 run to realize I could just fly through the space and not have to use the hyperlanes or whatever they are.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

you're in luck, you are going to auto resolve 100% of your fights

It's actually a design decision to make auto-resolve always have the same outcome as watching the battle. IE: the only you thing you do is set a strategy before it starts.

Elendil004 posted:

It took me to turn 100 in my first ES2 run to realize I could just fly through the space and not have to use the hyperlanes or whatever they are.

That's actually a technology you have to research.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Clarste posted:

It's actually a design decision to make auto-resolve always have the same outcome as watching the battle. IE: the only you thing you do is set a strategy before it starts.

also watching the fight takes forever to load when you have a half dozen of them this turn, watching a fight communicates absolutely nothing of value, and the novelty wears off somewhere in the middle of the first time you watch

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What is the point of food in this game? Beyond having enough to feed your system, which is always trivial, I don't understand why I'd ever want to waste a single research point researching food tech. Every system always has some huge suplus even with no improvements.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Clarste posted:

That's actually a technology you have to research.

Oh snap, yeah I'm kind of blindly doing tech on this run just because I'm not sure what's what.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

What is the point of food in this game? Beyond having enough to feed your system, which is always trivial, I don't understand why I'd ever want to waste a single research point researching food tech. Every system always has some huge suplus even with no improvements.

food affects soldier generation, both for staffing garrisons and ships

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It also affects how fast your population grows in every other Endless game; is that still the case?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

It also affects how fast your population grows in every other Endless game; is that still the case?

yeah but population caps pretty fast unless you're settling huge sterile worlds in the early game

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's simpler. Instead of picking a tactic during each of the three phases as in the first game, you now pick one tactic at the start of the battle, and then you choose whether to watch the battle unfold or just immediately auto-resolve it. As I understand it, there's no difference in the result either way.

The combat system itself has been modified slightly. There are now two broad weapons categories, energy and projectiles, which are defended against by shields and hull plating respectively, both of which have a damage reduction effect (was that the same in the first game? It's been a while since I played it). Different ship classes also have specific roles which determines how they fight in combat, so for example, escort ships draw more fire and thus give 'attack' ships more of a chance to get their shots off before they get targeted themselves - at least, I think that's the idea. I admit, I haven't played the game that much, though, and have only experienced a handful of (small) battles. I have no idea what it's like at the deep end when you've got lots of different classes and larger hull types involved.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah but population caps pretty fast unless you're settling huge sterile worlds in the early game

You should be settling huge sterile world ASAP because population is the key to everything in this game. It depends a bit on which faction you're playing, but having insane food growth is amazing. A late game tech also converts all the surplus food into production, which speeds up the tedious endgame considerably.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
The thing I'm having trouble with is that there are so many loving techs that I really don't understand which one to research first.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Clarste posted:

You should be settling huge sterile world ASAP because population is the key to everything in this game. It depends a bit on which faction you're playing, but having insane food growth is amazing. A late game tech also converts all the surplus food into production, which speeds up the tedious endgame considerably.

i agree that you should if you can, but you probably need to have environmentalists leading your government, and i've never had any luck keeping them in power except with horatio

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Ragingsheep posted:

The thing I'm having trouble with is that there are so many loving techs that I really don't understand which one to research first.

I usually go for ones that allow me to colonise one or two new planet types and the ones that let you travel outside of wormholes just to start with.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Drunk in Space posted:

The combat system itself has been modified slightly. There are now two broad weapons categories, energy and projectiles, which are defended against by shields and hull plating respectively, both of which have a damage reduction effect (was that the same in the first game? It's been a while since I played it). Different ship classes also have specific roles which determines how they fight in combat, so for example, escort ships draw more fire and thus give 'attack' ships more of a chance to get their shots off before they get targeted themselves - at least, I think that's the idea. I admit, I haven't played the game that much, though, and have only experienced a handful of (small) battles. I have no idea what it's like at the deep end when you've got lots of different classes and larger hull types involved.

Wait, seriously? So far every game I've played has just been me making as many attack ships as possible, and only really giving a cursory glance at enemy weapon types (so hull plating if they're ballistic and shields if they're laser). So it's possible to actually mix attacker and defender ships in the same flotilla (I never seem to ever get enough CP for that third slot, I still don't understand slotting) and have them do their supposed roles?

I really don't get combat at all besides 'have bigger numbers' and 'use the card bonuses for some sort of minor advantage', but I'd like to be able to play on harder difficulties, so that might mean having to make smarter fleets, not larger ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
That's what it says on the tin. For example, if you go into the design screen for an escort class hull and hover over the 'guardian' ability, you can see that it says it attracts fire to protect other ships. As to whether it actually does this . . . . who knows? I haven't had enough battles to say for sure. I mean, I only just noticed that you can organize the ships into different flotillas, and that these flotillas correspond to the lines displayed on the tactics cards. :v:

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 14, 2017