Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Can you explain off the top of your head how a modern aircraft carrier catapult system works

Yeah, it's digital. If you're talking modern, then that's the digital. If you're talking about what most of these guys are using, it's the steam. The steam works. But they're talking about going modern. Everyone wants the modern. And that's the digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Everyone knows steampunk is in

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Please defend the Ford class carrier to me

It uses less space and is more efficient. It allows for more planes to get off the ground in shorter periods of time and is easier on the planes so they last longer. It's also cheaper in the long run. Plus you can launch small drones on it which we are using more and more today which steam catapults can't.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Niwrad posted:

I would hope the Commander in Chief of the Military would know more than a forums poster. Especially when advocating for billions of dollars of modern technology to be scrapped for something that has become obsolete.

The new electric catapult system which doesn't work and requires years of development and millions for a total redesign and refit to be combat ready. Or say "gently caress it" and do away with the pointless flashy new tech and go for the refit (which was anticipated during design) with a cheaper option based on proven technology.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Niwrad posted:

It uses less space and is more efficient. It allows for more planes to get off the ground in shorter periods of time and is easier on the planes so they last longer. It's also cheaper in the long run. Plus you can launch small drones on it which we are using more and more today which steam catapults can't.

It's me, the progressive defending the multi-billion defense boondoggle which doesnt work from the nefarious hatchet of the cost-conscious president. I'm the resistance. We must defend the CIA and defense contractors from evil Deump because that's what true progressives do

Toilet Shoes
Aug 22, 2016

by Lowtax
You know. These few people are not even trying to be subtle about what they are doing. You all are just playing along with them?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Sorry, I should have called him "Two Scoops" Donald

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Niwrad posted:

I would hope the Commander in Chief of the Military would know more than a forums poster.

Holy gently caress lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The new electric catapult system which doesn't work and requires years of development and millions for a total redesign and refit to be combat ready. Or say "gently caress it" and do away with the pointless flashy new tech and go for the refit (which was anticipated during design) with a cheaper option based on proven technology.
it'd cost billions to reintroduce steam catapults since the U.S. doesn't make them anymore

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it'd cost billions to reintroduce steam catapults since the U.S. doesn't make them anymore

You can get hot water anywhere, the thing floats in big bowl of water ffs

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Why are you pulling numbers out of your rear end

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It's me, the progressive defending the multi-billion defense boondoggle which doesnt work from the nefarious hatchet of the cost-conscious president. I'm the resistance. We must defend the CIA and defense contractors from evil Deump because that's what true progressives do

I wouldn't really consider myself a progressive. I do think our military should be at the forefront of technology and shouldn't fall behind countries like China who will be using EMALS in their next carrier (I think even India will be using it too). Electromagnetic technology is the future of warfare so might as well figure it out before everyone else does.

I mean the hat says "Make America Great Again". What's greater than launching a bunch of planes into the sky with loving magnets? We could just keep using 50-year old technology and become China's bitch down the road. But that doesn't fit on the hat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I wouldn't really consider myself a progressive. I do think our military should be at the forefront of technology and shouldn't fall behind countries like China who will be using EMALS in their next carrier (I think even India will be using it too). Electromagnetic technology is the future of warfare so might as well figure it out before everyone else does.

I mean the hat says "Make America Great Again". What's greater than launching a bunch of planes into the sky with loving magnets? We could just keep using 50-year old technology and become China's bitch down the road. But that doesn't fit on the hat.

Lol you loving retard

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

Lol you loving retard

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
"I love the CIA, I love the defense industry, I love the Democratic Party's corruption, I love the mainstream corporate media. I love Pepsi Commercials" - modern radical progressive

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think that what we really need is more research on laser weaponry. Well, off to go put some more power plugs in my house...

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, it's digital. If you're talking modern, then that's the digital. If you're talking about what most of these guys are using, it's the steam. The steam works. But they're talking about going modern. Everyone wants the modern. And that's the digital.

Yo bro, did you see that the FBI raid was for nothing related to Trump.

Close call for the Don, hopefully Bernie's wife and her fraud case will be so lucky

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yo bro, did you see that the FBI raid was for nothing related to Trump.

Close call for the Don, hopefully Bernie's wife and her fraud case will be so lucky

but her EMALS

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

"I love the CIA, I love the defense industry, I love the Democratic Party's corruption, I love the mainstream corporate media. I love Pepsi Commercials" - modern radical progressive

You voted for Trump.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Wait I thought Trump was good for pumping 54 billion into the military and axing healthcare

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Wait I thought Trump was good for pumping 54 billion into the military and axing healthcare

Yah for loving steam mech poo poo, not fancy poo poo

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Burt Sexual posted:

Is chyrons some digital thing?

they are like tachyons only they make you dumb

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

but her EMALS

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

You mean Hillary's home brew computer server she was using to bypass oversight in order to run a rogue state department?

That's nothing compared to TRUMPS ILLEGAL DELETION OF TWEETS

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah for loving steam mech poo poo, not fancy poo poo

So your opposition to the MIC is solely based on it not being steampunk enough.

I feel like I'm understanding you more, Spunky.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
"The Resistance". lmao.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Everyday I'm owned mercilessly by the President of the United States.

His name? Donald Trump.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Can you explain off the top of your head how a modern aircraft carrier catapult system works

Can you name off the top of your head a single thing Trump has done to actually benefit you thus far?

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

He was correct, though?

Then he smiled bigly and forgot all about it and nothing will come of it just like when he 'fixed' F35. MAGA.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

Can you name off the top of your head a single thing Trump has done to actually benefit you thus far?

Got rid of TPP

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yug posted:

Got rid of TPP

And has that materially affected you in any way or are you just kind of saying that in hopes that 4-6 years from now it will somehow result in a job for you?

Like what has this fool actually done? He's a reality TV show star and is acting as such and it's amazing how quickly people gobble his nuts down. Why? He's just talked a bunch of poo poo some of which has stuck to the wall, appointed cronies to almost all positions, and done jack poo poo all except flail around in the mud over something that happened 6 months ago.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

And has that materially affected you in any way or are you just kind of saying that in hopes that 4-6 years from now it will somehow result in a job for you?

Like what has this fool actually done? He's a reality TV show star and is acting as such and it's amazing how quickly people gobble his nuts down. Why? He's just talked a bunch of poo poo some of which has stuck to the wall, appointed cronies to almost all positions, and done jack poo poo all except flail around in the mud over something that happened 6 months ago.

Sure he got rid of a "free trade" deal that gave corporations complete unaccountable power to crush labor forever, but what has he ACTUALLY DONE??

You're a communist? How come you don't care about working people?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yug posted:

Sure he got rid of a "free trade" deal that gave corporations complete unaccountable power to crush labor forever, but what has he ACTUALLY DONE??

You're a communist? How come you don't care about working people?

The deal wasn't even in place so we're just speculating on pros/cons of a hypothetical future situation so yes I'm asking what has Donald Trump actually done to help working people thus far?

Because from where I'm sitting, rich people are primed to get massive tax cuts in various ways from healthcare to capital gains to elimination of the estate tax and what are we loving getting?

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

The deal wasn't even in place so we're just speculating on pros/cons of a hypothetical future situation so yes I'm asking what has Donald Trump actually done to help working people thus far?

loving lol at a "progressive" handwaving away Trump trashing the most anti-labor piece of legislation in history. It's a pretty big loving deal dude.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why hasn't he pushed for infrastructure? Why hasn't he issued an EO greatly defanging lobbies and monied interests? Why hasn't he done anything to seriously address the revolving door situation?

He's been golfing nearly every weekend, held 2 (that I know of) rallies, backed regressive policies benefiting the rich, and you're still on his nuts like his cum cures cancer.

Yug posted:

loving lol at a "progressive" handwaving away Trump trashing the most anti-labor piece of legislation in history. It's a pretty big loving deal dude.

So you have no answer for me then. Of course you don't, because he has done nothing for you.

quote:

the most anti-labor piece of legislation in history.

lol yeah you probably couldn't even tell me a basic summary without googling it first.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

Why hasn't he pushed for infrastructure? Why hasn't he issued an EO greatly defanging lobbies and monied interests? Why hasn't he done anything to seriously address the revolving door situation?

He's been golfing nearly every weekend, held 2 (that I know of) rallies, backed regressive policies benefiting the rich, and you're still on his nuts like his cum cures cancer.

So you have no answer for me then. Of course you don't, because he has done nothing for you.

Trump causes another meltdown. Will he ever stop? What can be done to end the relentless tears and hissy fits of liberals?

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think Trump getting rid of TPP was a good thing or a bad thing?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yug posted:

Trump causes another meltdown. Will he ever stop? What can be done to end the relentless tears and hissy fits of liberals?

That's cool meanwhile he's getting laughed at for getting nothing accomplished in the first 100 days, a general metric used to evaluate how effective incoming presidents are and gauge their continued effectiveness negotiating and getting policy passed.

In before "what an arbitrary line, 100 days who cares!"

Yug posted:

That's not the question I am asking. You can try to reframe if you like, I'll just assume that means you have no answer.

It was a good thing but it wasn't even implemented yet so ooooh biiig fuckin' props to him lol.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yug posted:

I think that was a good thing.

The fact it was the only good thing he's done so far is a bad thing.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe you don't care because you're in a position of privilege but I have a lot of friends and families who would have had their livelihoods absolutely completely hosed if TPP had gone through so it's a very big deal for me and if before the election someone had given me that but with the catch of "big tax cuts for the rich" I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The biggest thing he's done is nix a trade deal that hasn't even been finalized yet brilliant.

A huge accomplishment, considering the executive branch holds sole trade negotiation authority. Meanwhile anything that requires any actual dealmaking.... lol.

• Locked thread