Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pinterest Mom posted:

the avclub spoiled me that (HUGE SPOILERS) jughead eats a hamburger in tonight's episode

too little too late

edit: unless he also wears some of those glasses with eyeballs painted onto them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Wait, is that comic book FP tossed Jughead gonna come into play?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
What kind of awards can we give this show for opening with "It was the ultimate Cliffhanger" on that shot? I almost spilled my wine.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So this small town which apparently has only one place to eat and one giant high school has different school districts?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I missed the first 15 minutes or so. Were there any shirtless sce - I mean, important plot points?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Barry Convex posted:

I missed the first 15 minutes or so. Were there any shirtless sce - I mean, important plot points?

Clifford Blossom was moving heroin from Montreal by using maple syrup as a front
Betty wrote an expose about FP's innocence and how the powers that be are eager to pin hard drug dealing on the Serpents
Mommy Blossom had a big melodramatic moment with Cheryl in the barn where she said "Maybe Daddy had the right idea" and Cheryl's been giving away her possessions/throwing up "SUICIDAL" warning signs ever since

Nobody was shirtless

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh you bastards.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
So did Jughead and Betty bone down or what

I assume he wore the jacket and nothing else if so

DivisionPost posted:

Oh you bastards.

I really thought they were going to end on the exterior shot with the shot and muzzle flash, but instead they opted for the even worse cliffhanger: Reveal who was shot, but without a definitive outcome.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Wow, that episode was a LOT. I mean, there's no loving way they would've just sent Cheryl home IRL after she just loving attempted suicide but it's Riverdale and burning her loving house down (and pissing off her mother) seemed to bring her some measure of peace so :unsmith:.

Serpent Jughead is an A+ development that I had no idea I wanted. It's about loving time that kid got a break, and an entire gang looking out for him is one hell of a break. I loved the whole setup of him going to Southside High and everybody rushing over all worried about him and they get there and-- oh, he's already made like fifty friends and everyone loves him.

I loving love Betty. I am now 100% on the 'Betty is the main character and she is awesome and totally deserves it' train.

And I finally-- FINALLY-- am fully onboard the Archie Andrews train. The Grundy thing hurt his character a lot. Like I really don't think the writers understood how badly that compromised him. But these past few episodes, he has been killing it, and in this one, he legit knocked it out of the park. Being genuinely happy for his friends being together, wanting to stand up for the truth, breaking his loving hand punching through the ice to save Cheryl, making an actual, honest-to-god attempt at catching a bullet for his dad (likely a reference to his comics fate); the boy's a hero and he is finally the Archie we deserve. Welcome to the club you beautiful ginger bastard. We will get justice for your dad. :patriot:

Fun fact: KJ Apa actually broke his actual hand filming that ice-punching shot. Dude is legit. :black101:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spergatory posted:

And I finally-- FINALLY-- am fully onboard the Archie Andrews train. The Grundy thing hurt his character a lot. Like I really don't think the writers understood how badly that compromised him. But these past few episodes, he has been killing it, and in this one, he legit knocked it out of the park. Being genuinely happy for his friends being together, wanting to stand up for the truth, breaking his loving hand punching through the ice to save Cheryl, making an actual, honest-to-god attempt at catching a bullet for his dad (likely a reference to his comics fate); the boy's a hero and he is finally the Archie we deserve. Welcome to the club you beautiful ginger bastard. We will get justice for your dad. :patriot:

Remember all those complaints about Archie being somewhat disconnected from the main thread of this season?

I don't think that's gonna be a problem next year.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm a bit miffed that they had so many lines and shots that almost-hinted at the supernatural but they didn't actually do anything with it! Where's the genre-bending twist I was promised, Sacasa? :argh:

Also:
https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/862859869015207936

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Codependent Poster posted:

So this small town which apparently has only one place to eat and one giant high school has different school districts?

I grew up in a county with a population under 100k, but we still managed to have had 3 school districts and 4 high schools, all zoned in a way where it meant like a third of my classmates had a 30+ minute commute to school.

Of course, this was the South, and that was some straight Jim Crow holdover poo poo. Let's just assume classism runs just as deep in Riverdale.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Mommy Blossom had a big melodramatic moment with Cheryl in the barn where she said "Maybe Daddy had the right idea" and Cheryl's been giving away her possessions/throwing up "SUICIDAL" warning signs ever since
It was pretty dope.

Penelope: "Why are you crying, you hated him."
Cheryl: "Don't say that, mommy"
Penelope: "We've always been cursed, ever since the original murder where brother killed brother. Who will the grim reaper take next? You? Me? Maybe your father had the right idea, just end it. Better the sweet ever after than this awful limbo."

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Riverdale is everything Gossip Girl tried to be and more. I've watched a lot of CW shows over the years, but this will be the first one I rewatch before the next season starts.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So happy that the spoilers released early were fake. I hope its kosher to post them now...

Archie chooses Betty despite having feelings for Veronica.

Archie's father Fred once rejected Betty's mother Alice in high school. He is later arrested for Jason's murder after police determines it was his gun that was used to kill Jason, which causes Archie's mother Mary to return to Riverdale.

Betty believes her mother Alice killed Jason Blossom, but it was actually her father Hal, who wanted revenge against Jason for Polly's breakdown. He framed Fred out of revenge because Alice still had feelings for Fred.

Veronica's father Hiram has been working with Jughead's father FP Jones, a local gang leader, to lower local property prices so he can seize control of Riverdale. The family's butler Smithers has secretly been acquiring said properties under ghost companies and Hiram is ultimately released and return to Riverdale as the richest man in town.

Archie and the gang find out the Blossoms were occultists and Jason attempted to fake his death to escape from their influence. Polly had a breakdown after learning about the Blossoms's activities.

Jughead finds out that there are legends of supernatural forces in the woods surrounding Riverdale and that innocent blood spilled on Sweetwater Lake is said to be the key to awaken powerful forces. It is made clear that Jason being killed and dumped in Sweetwater Lake is a unwittingly a perfect reproduction of the ritual.

Final scene of the season is Sabrina ominiously arriving at Pop's shop while Jughead reads about the results of the ritual in voice-over and how "chaos follows". She introduces herself and immediately afterwards there's a car crash just outside. Everyone steps outside to help while Sabrina flashes a smile.

Later spoilers were largely on the money, by the way.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
This was a fantastic finale but that ending was garbage. No genre-bending twist, and it was Hiram or Hermione, for sure. Boring, and the show is MUCH worse off if Luke Perry is written out, especially like that. For once, phony leaks would've actually been way better. I wanted zombie Jason to show up at Jughead's foster house, home of the Spellmans.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm still kind of reeling at how genuinely satisfying that finale was. It capped off an entire season of character development for the Core Four, had both of the main couples move up to the next level in a way that felt organic, put the love quadrangle (at least temporarily) to bed, had a bunch of cool surprises and consequences, both good and bad, for everyone's actions, revealed secrets, widened the world, pushed everyone to a new place to start the next season and hell, even the cliffhanger felt fine to me (you know they're not gonna kill off Archie's dad, it would change his character too much. I predict soap opera coma at worst).

Man, I know it's only a matter of time before TV shows take a dive in quality and inevitably let me down, especially on the CW. But I'll be damned if that wasn't some genuinely good television. :discourse:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Maybe the opening for the supernatural that they're looking for is next season when an FBI Special Agent named Cooper comes to investigate the small town murder It is comics canon that Betty's older brother, Chick Cooper, is some kind of international super spy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just upset Betty said 'something wicked this way comes' and I got a halfie thinking Sabrina would appear in the end.

loving blue balls.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Argue posted:

Maybe the opening for the supernatural that they're looking for is next season when an FBI Special Agent named Cooper comes to investigate the small town murder It is comics canon that Betty's older brother, Chick Cooper, is some kind of international super spy

Yeah but in the show He had a date with coathanger

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah but in the show He had a date with coathanger

No he didn't. Alice talks about how she bore him at the same sanitarium Polly was sent to, and then in the next scene Veronica quips about how there's a big blond hottie out in the wild.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mameluke posted:

No he didn't. Alice talks about how she bore him at the same sanitarium Polly was sent to, and then in the next scene Veronica quips about how there's a big blond hottie out in the wild.

drat, must have missed that

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Showrunner Interview

quote:

So when we started talking about this happening to Fred, I said, “This will be as impactful on Archie as when young Bruce Wayne sees his parents gunned down, or when Spiderman’s Uncle Ben is shot and killed.” Those are galvanizing moments for those guys, and it will be for Archie. It’s going to set him on his real journey, ultimately towards heroism, but I think first to a much darker place than we’ve played Archie. Long gone will be the days of, “Music or football? Betty or Veronica?” It’s an Archie who’s seen his worst fears come true.

So there's your genre twist: It's not a supernatural one, it's a superHERO one.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That just makes me want archie and cheryl to get together tbh

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good I hope he joins the Serpents with Jughead as part of his quest to understand the nature of criminals

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Leaving Cheryl alone after she almost killed herself was kind of a bad call. But I guess it kinda turned out fine.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

JethroMcB posted:

So did Jughead and Betty bone down or what

Nah, the sight of Juggie in that Serpents jacket killed her lady boner.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mameluke posted:

Good I hope he joins the Serpents with Jughead as part of his quest to understand the nature of criminals

"They are a superstitious and cowardly lot, I shall disguise myself as the thing which terrifies them the most"
[Puts on Batman mask, then a bright blue Riverdale letterman jacket with "ARCHIE ANDREWS" and his home address stitched across the back]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Should have had Jughead close the door slowly after putting on the jacket.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

cant cook creole bream posted:

Leaving Cheryl alone after she almost killed herself was kind of a bad call. But I guess it kinda turned out fine.

I got the impression she was ready to come to them on the shore before she fell in. I think she changed her mind about the whole suicide thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ville Valo posted:

I got the impression she was ready to come to them on the shore before she fell in. I think she changed her mind about the whole suicide thing.

Yeah it seemed that way. But suicidal people tend to be a somewhat erratic. If you talk someone down from a ledge, it certainly doesn't mean that person would never try something like that again. Leaving Cheryl on her own to go to the Jubilee just seems like a dick move.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I ducked out the thread after the spoiler talk early in the season, loved the whole season and thought the finale was great.

But this...

Narcissus1916 posted:

So happy that the spoilers released early were fake. I hope its kosher to post them now...

Archie chooses Betty despite having feelings for Veronica.

Archie's father Fred once rejected Betty's mother Alice in high school. He is later arrested for Jason's murder after police determines it was his gun that was used to kill Jason, which causes Archie's mother Mary to return to Riverdale.

Betty believes her mother Alice killed Jason Blossom, but it was actually her father Hal, who wanted revenge against Jason for Polly's breakdown. He framed Fred out of revenge because Alice still had feelings for Fred.

Veronica's father Hiram has been working with Jughead's father FP Jones, a local gang leader, to lower local property prices so he can seize control of Riverdale. The family's butler Smithers has secretly been acquiring said properties under ghost companies and Hiram is ultimately released and return to Riverdale as the richest man in town.

Archie and the gang find out the Blossoms were occultists and Jason attempted to fake his death to escape from their influence. Polly had a breakdown after learning about the Blossoms's activities.

Jughead finds out that there are legends of supernatural forces in the woods surrounding Riverdale and that innocent blood spilled on Sweetwater Lake is said to be the key to awaken powerful forces. It is made clear that Jason being killed and dumped in Sweetwater Lake is a unwittingly a perfect reproduction of the ritual.

Final scene of the season is Sabrina ominiously arriving at Pop's shop while Jughead reads about the results of the ritual in voice-over and how "chaos follows". She introduces herself and immediately afterwards there's a car crash just outside. Everyone steps outside to help while Sabrina flashes a smile.

Later spoilers were largely on the money, by the way.

Thank God this pile of garbage didn't happen. Holy poo poo this is terrible.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cheryl was telegraphing her intentions pretty hard, and right when she was going to open up to The Gang they took off without a second thought to save Jughead from (being the most popular kid at) Southside High. That moment felt like it was lifted from something like Wet Hot American Summer or Strangers With Candy, asking the vulnerable peer to open up and IMMEDIATELY ignoring her.

I enjoyed how The Gang stood on the riverbank telling themselves "We can't all go out on the ice, it'll break!" Long enough to stand idly by and watch Cheryl go through. And then they all immediately went out on the ice without a problem.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I enjoyed how The Gang stood on the riverbank telling themselves "We can't all go out on the ice, it'll break!" Long enough to stand idly by and watch Cheryl go through. And then they all immediately went out on the ice without a problem.

And then only Archie actually did something. Hell, he did everything. Break the ice, pull her out, give mouth to mouth... the others standing around watching and yelling for help amounted to jack poo poo. At least call the cops or take your coat off to warm Cheryl or something.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

JethroMcB posted:

"They are a superstitious and cowardly lot, I shall disguise myself as the thing which terrifies them the most"
[Puts on Batman mask, then a bright blue Riverdale letterman jacket with "ARCHIE ANDREWS" and his home address stitched across the back]

[Archie is slumped in a chair in his living room, bleeding from several stab wounds]

"How, father? How do I do it? What do I use... to make them afraid?"

[Jughead walks past the window, Pop's paper bag in one hand, munching on a burger held in the other]

"... yes, father.... I shall become a hamburglar."

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Holy moly I can't believe Veronica quoted Stanley loving Kowalski before going to bed with Archie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love that even though Archie is hero now who will punch through some loving ice the kid is still the biggest idiot.

Ville Valo posted:

No genre-bending twist, and it was Hiram or Hermione, for sure.

That's stupid. The truth is going to get reveal later down the line that Archie was the actual target for the gunman and the mayor is behind it all, duhh.

I'm glad it didn't went straight into paranormal. They are building up to something for sure and I think if it was just zombies it would be kinda disappointing. The show is going places but there are more crazy places than just "zombies"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I love that even though Archie is hero now who will punch through some loving ice the kid is still the biggest idiot.

I don't know if you've ever read any Archie comics, but I've been reading the new series by Mark Waid and one of the best parts is that despite good intentions Archie Andrews is one of the most bumbling incompetent idiots you'll ever come across. It's played more for great physical slapstick comedy in the comic but him being constantly clueless in a different way is a good thing to bring over to the show as well.

Some of Archie's finer moments:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am a bit confused about the drug smuggling plan.

Alright, as near as I can tell, the concept is that the drugs are hidden in the barrels of maple syrup heading from Montreal to Riverdale.

Buuuuuut........it was shown the blossoms harvest the maple syrup in Riverdale. So, are the drugs in empty barrels on their return trip to Riverdale? In which case, why would you export Maple Syrup to Montreal? Like, seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am a bit confused about the drug smuggling plan.

Alright, as near as I can tell, the concept is that the drugs are hidden in the barrels of maple syrup heading from Montreal to Riverdale.

Buuuuuut........it was shown the blossoms harvest the maple syrup in Riverdale. So, are the drugs in empty barrels on their return trip to Riverdale? In which case, why would you export Maple Syrup to Montreal? Like, seriously?

Maple syrup and heroin goes to Montreal. Money and no heroin comes back to Riverdale.

• Locked thread