Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Who knew that a single tweet could make me happy in so many different ways :v:

boxen posted:

So, maybe this is common knowledge

It was such a missed opportunity that the alternate version of Daisy in The Framework was a Hydra agent and not a pop star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, it's a full season renewal!

22 episodes, gently caress yesssssssss.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They can cut costs by just not having Ghost Rider stick around, Mr. Skeltal is expensive.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CaveGrinch posted:

Has anyone here ever actually seen a chicken?

:golfclap:

They hadn't.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ I totally read that in Ron Howard's voice.

Really happy that this got a full season 5 order. While I actually prefer drama's with the 10-13 episode season, I'm really a fan of how this show does their mini season arcs. Totally on board. 6 seasons and a (mention in a) movie?

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 12, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kayakyakr posted:

Really happy that this got a full season 5 order. While I actually prefer drama's with the 10-13 episode season, I'm really a fan of how this show does their mini season arcs. Totally on board. 6 seasons and a (mention in a) movie?

I've always seen The Avengers as being the movie in that joke. Only features one cast member, but it's probably the only tie-in film that it's important to watch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ojjeorago posted:

They can cut costs by just not having Ghost Rider stick around, Mr. Skeltal is expensive.

Keep him around, but like people said, just focus on Coulson as he explains and reacts to what's going on off screen.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Woooo! Renewed!

Too bad about the budget cuts, but as long as the writing is good and the fight scene choreography is at high standards, I am happy.

CaveGrinch posted:

Has anyone here ever actually seen a chicken?

Awesome.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

Ghost Rider only has one on-screen appearance in the next season but his chain constantly flies into view from off camera and drags people to their death.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

boxen posted:

So, maybe this is common knowledge, but I did not know this about Chloe Bennet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNUvqIsYo7k

https://youtu.be/muJgCrNKWfk

https://youtu.be/hh-Pgz0pxFs

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Blackbolt is going to win the Dubsmash War next year, right?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Haha remember the rising tide and how that was a thing and they made you think ward was gonna be the main character of the show. Episode 1 is really weird when you know where this is all going

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Remember Kid Cold?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ramadu posted:

Haha remember the rising tide and how that was a thing and they made you think ward was gonna be the main character of the show. Episode 1 is really weird when you know where this is all going

I actually thought pretty much this today. Remember the rising tide loser, who slept with Skye and sold her out to what we now know was Hydra? What did they call themselves again? It was something really stupid. Caterpillar, maybe?

And do you remember that flaming guy who killed a few people and buggered off, or died?

I am so glad that I didn't drop this show in season one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Woah, almost made it all the way, Mack.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

cant cook creole bream posted:

I actually thought pretty much this today. Remember the rising tide loser, who slept with Skye and sold her out to what we now know was Hydra? What did they call themselves again? It was something really stupid. Caterpillar, maybe?

And do you remember that flaming guy who killed a few people and buggered off, or died?

scorch ruled and blew up thanks to the centipede thing after rita? the flower dress lady drained him of his platelets

I did see that in that eye camera one where the black chick was stealing diamonds from the red mask guys that when ward went into the base at the end and the goal of bill paxton was to see that abstract inhuman city on a chalk board. that was neat cause i honestly thougt theythought up that stuff up in like season 2 or 3

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Centipede!

And I totally forgot about scorch and absorbing man. They got powers in the show really fast, now that I'm thinking back on it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Honestly the cost cutting may not be that big of a deal. For a 5 season show, the cast may be the most expensive part. Have we ever had a single episode where Coulson or Daisy aren't featured? I'm expecting everyone to have a couple episodes to be off-screen and that'll be the cost cutting measure.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Don't pay the cast if they're playing LMD's of their characters.

Poor Ming-Na. :(

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm just so glad they didn't drag out the Fitz/Aida out of the framework thing for multiple episodes. That would have been so incredibly annoying.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Honestly the cost cutting may not be that big of a deal. For a 5 season show, the cast may be the most expensive part. Have we ever had a single episode where Coulson or Daisy aren't featured? I'm expecting everyone to have a couple episodes to be off-screen and that'll be the cost cutting measure.

The principle cast is under contract and as far as I am aware, must be paid per episode, regardless of whether or not they appear.

Guest stars, on the other hand...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Save money on special powers effects by making the villain Taskmaster and having Kevin Tanchaoren direct every episode.

Save money on guest stars by 3D printing the evil Fitz, giving him a cool visor, and then have him say something like "You [good Fitz], you're a builder. But me, I'm more of a... maker".

Save money in general by having Coulson and the team set up a new spy base underneath a Subway™.

Ouhei posted:

I'm just so glad they didn't drag out the Fitz/Aida out of the framework thing for multiple episodes. That would have been so incredibly annoying.

After every episode: "I'm so glad they didn't do [thing CW show would totally have done]"

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Argue posted:

Save money on guest stars by 3D printing the evil Fitz, giving him a cool visor, and then have him say something like "You [good Fitz], you're a builder. But me, I'm more of a... maker".

Evil 3D printed Fitz is gonna be MODOK

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ashpanash posted:

The principle cast is under contract and as far as I am aware, must be paid per episode, regardless of whether or not they appear.

Guest stars, on the other hand...

As a function of Peak TV, guest stars have actually gotten cheaper over the years. Hence the way cast sizes have ballooned. We might have fewer high profile stars, but a lot of shows use large casts to cover for a lack of traditional spectacle. (Lost was the first to really do this, but pretty much any current action show does this. Gotham's a really obvious example.)

As a result, we're actually more likely to see more guest stars per episode in Season 5, rather than fewer. There'll probably be fewer special effects, but they might just cost cut severely on a handful of episodes, so the absence will only be notable for those few episodes. A handful of low-fi bottle episodes can be really good for a show. I mean, look at the way Farscape managed its meagre budget -- it had full on explosions and expensive CGI and huge practical effects, but a full third of each season were bottle episodes -- and that never harmed the show.

If they want to be sneaky, they'll cast stunt actors in recurring, speaking roles (something this show likes to do already, which the most obvious case being the Ginger Ninja from Seasons 2 and 3, who started on the show as Adrienne Palicki's stunt double. She's now married to their stunt coordinator.) which will reduce costs while maintaining their overall action quota.

We'll also see the current SHIELD base miraculously repaired in time for next season. That, or they'll confine home base to the existing Quinn jet sets and cut costs that way. (Totally doable, btw. Have them on the run for a year, and have the characters use the white module pods as bedrooms).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was such a missed opportunity that the alternate version of Daisy in The Framework was a Hydra agent and not a pop star

We don't deserve Daisy Sparkles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mymla posted:

Yes we loving do.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Going to back to the Framework and are the people "real" or just simulations that think they are real. The real answer is: whatever the writers decide.

That's it. It's a fun mental exercise, but really doesn't matter.

We can debate it all we want, but the writers could blow it out of the water in the next episode.

My personal opinion is that the people are real because they think they are real. Like May Be was real because she thought she was real, but the LMD Fitz, Mack, and Coulson were not real, because they didn't think they were. Consciousness is personal and ephemeral. Hence, May Be's crisis when she realized she was a machine. Now she knew she wasn't real, but she still felt real. Was she ever really real?
You can easily defend a dozen different answers with evidence from the show, but, in the end, it's unknowable unless the writers spell it out. Even then, they could change their minds and retcon it.

Edit: philosophy 101 stuff, there is no one true answer.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My take on it is: AIDA's emotions weren't real because they were a smart dude's first (probably) attempt at creating an AI. All the other LMDs, and the people in the Framework, experience real emotions because they were created by a hyperintelligent robot with knowledge of forbidden arts that presumably involve not only creating beings but ensouling them, with some sort of gotcha on why she can't just insert a soul into herself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Aleph Null posted:

Going to back to the Framework and are the people "real" or just simulations that think they are real. The real answer is: whatever the writers decide.

That's it. It's a fun mental exercise, but really doesn't matter.

We can debate it all we want, but the writers could blow it out of the water in the next episode.

Edit: philosophy 101 stuff, there is no one true answer.

That's the least satisfying thing one can say. We aren't discussing that stuff because we want to find an answer, but because such nerdy discussions are fun. Shutting them down because we can't truly know seems pointless.

One interesting thing about the framework it's basically able to compress the experiences of a whole life into a few days. You could lead the life of a physics professor and spend years conjuring weird stuff.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The best part of last episode is that I also forgot how long it has been since real May was with the team. She missed all of the ghost rider finale, missed the absolute destruction of shield and dozens of Quake clones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People can totally debate whether the people are real or not, but like its basically philosophical debates that people have been having forever. So people have always enjoyed having them but they've also always been unable to come to any kind of satisfying consensus. So its not surprising that there's people in this thread deeply divided on this and if/when someone says "that proves" its going to spark a bunch of people pointing out why nothing is proven. Thus is the frustrating for some and exciting for others nature of philosophical debate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Open Source Idiom posted:

As a function of Peak TV, guest stars have actually gotten cheaper over the years. Hence the way cast sizes have ballooned. We might have fewer high profile stars, but a lot of shows use large casts to cover for a lack of traditional spectacle. (Lost was the first to really do this, but pretty much any current action show does this. Gotham's a really obvious example.)

As a result, we're actually more likely to see more guest stars per episode in Season 5, rather than fewer.

Well then they better find that 3D human printer before the Framework goes kablooey ...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
What's this talk of reduced budget? By how much?

This is the new "SHIELD is gone," isn't it?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They're going to replace actors with LMDs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This is the new "SHIELD is gone," isn't it?

There is an article or two out there talking about how ABC has been looking at ways to "reduce costs" for AoS. That's it. None of us have any real idea of what that would actually mean in terms of FX or shooting budgets or casting decisions. Obviously CGI FX is probably the easiest to reign in, so it will probably mean less flashy episodes like some of the Ghost Rider eps. and more reliance on practical FX.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah it's just fun to joke about ST: TOS shaky camera "Quake" fx, and practical LED based ghost rider helmets. Like a bunch of LEDs inside the visor pointing at the face like those crappy "fireplace" replacements. I hope they just negotiate a smaller episode number or something and maintain the quality. It's already hit or miss sometimes.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

First thing that came to mind with "budget-friendly villian":

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would absolutely, unironically want to see finger knife woman return.

STAC Goat posted:

People can totally debate whether the people are real or not, but like its basically philosophical debates that people have been having forever. So people have always enjoyed having them but they've also always been unable to come to any kind of satisfying consensus. So its not surprising that there's people in this thread deeply divided on this and if/when someone says "that proves" its going to spark a bunch of people pointing out why nothing is proven. Thus is the frustrating for some and exciting for others nature of philosophical debate.
This is true, but something also has to said when a storyline or setting itself is generally favoring one side of the debate over another. I wouldn't be watching Westworld, for instance, and saying that the robots aren't getting more and more autonomous.

Like...if we're gonna say stuff like "The Darkhold has allowed Radcliffe and Aida to create SEVEN BILLION REAL SOULS in the Framework," we're also gonna have to back it up with circumstances from the story and not just because we think that's what happened.

(And if it did, it probably got those souls from Hell which is back where we need to send them. :black101:)

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Mymla posted:

All I can think of now is Daisy going on extended karaoke sessions like Majima in Yakuza Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BrianWilly posted:

I would absolutely, unironically want to see finger knife woman return.

This is true, but something also has to said when a storyline or setting itself is generally favoring one side of the debate over another. I wouldn't be watching Westworld, for instance, and saying that the robots aren't getting more and more autonomous.

Like...if we're gonna say stuff like "The Darkhold has allowed Radcliffe and Aida to create SEVEN BILLION REAL SOULS in the Framework," we're also gonna have to back it up with circumstances from the story and not just because we think that's what happened.

(And if it did, it probably got those souls from Hell which is back where we need to send them. :black101:)

lmao if Ghost Rider's first line is "What the gently caress did you DO?!? There's 7 billion pixellated ghosts walking around down there!"

• Locked thread