Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

FilthyImp posted:

A bathroom remodel is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for I-beams to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the :females: than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, builder-grade sack of tears for the rest of your life. Your studs can move past it, and heal.

:stare: :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Progressive JPEG posted:

You really learn a lot about eco-friendly cleaners once you've got a septic system to worry about

Northern toilet paper only.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

A bathtub in the dead middle of the room is about the stupidest design ever. I hated that aspect of OP's original bathroom too. It's just in the loving way of the traffic flow and it wastes an assload of floor space.
If your bathroom has enough space to plop a soaker tub dab in the middle of it, you basically need that thing there to eat up the space because otherwise it's too loving huge. At that scale, it's not about efficient space design, it's about elevating the experience of luxuriating in your giant rear end poop-cathedral.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FilthyImp posted:

If your bathroom has enough space to plop a soaker tub dab in the middle of it, you basically need that thing there to eat up the space because otherwise it's too loving huge. At that scale, it's not about efficient space design, it's about elevating the experience of luxuriating in your giant rear end poop-cathedral.

A giant bathroom also gives you the flexibility to replace the tub with a bed, and rent it out as a bedroom with ensuite.

http://www.worstroom.com/post/59022151248/vancouver-bc-50000-newly-finished-1-bedroom

"Come pay $500 to live in my shitter" may only work in certain cities though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Of course it's Vancouver.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Collateral Damage posted:

Of course it's Vancouver.

when i moved to a smaller town i ended up paying the exact same rent for a 2-storey house on a quarter acre than i was paying for a 1-bedroom apartment in the lower mainland

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SoundMonkey posted:

when i moved to a smaller town i ended up paying the exact same rent for a 2-storey house on a quarter acre than i was paying for a 1-bedroom apartment in the lower mainland

That's kind of the nice thing about living in the Southeast for me. I pay like $600 a month for one half of a 2 story duplex and it's like I'm living in affluence. I went from one 12'x12' bedroom to have TWO FLOORS WITH TWO BEDROOMS.

Cons: About a half mile down the road the neighborhood is super sketch, but if you go another half mile the opposite way there's a gated community.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm the only person I know paying less than $1k for a one-bedroom in Victoria. I'll move when they tear this building down around me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Freakbox posted:

Sure, if you're interested. Mostly I just took some closeup shots of terrible wallpaper patterns and the (currently dirty) cabinetry my grandmother thought was "very parisian". Also, the adorable scalloped poo poo above my very brown sink.

It's the middle of the drat night in Oklahoma, so I can't get any pretty outdoor shots. i have a huge vegetable garden obscuring most of the yard, anyway. :kimchi:

http://imgur.com/a/4w8PT

I saw the cabinetry in you album. My grandma has the same style. She's 84 and her house hasn't changed since the 70s and since I've been alive it's always amazingly clean. Bonus tiled countertops. Honestly I love it and wouldn't change a thing, but probably because she's kept it in tip-top shape.

Off camera there is storage space for towels and even a dirty clothes bin built in.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 11, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pixelante posted:

I'm the only person I know paying less than $1k for a one-bedroom in Victoria. I'll move when they tear this building down around me.

That might come sooner than you think. Tons of people getting renovicted on affordable units here.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I kind of love that crocheted towel hanger with the rings. Not the color, though it does match the rest of the room quite nicely, but I want that in, like, a pale blue or steel gray in my guest bathroom.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Fibers can be easily dyed to something else, so if you ever find something like that at a thrift store I'd try it out.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I kind of love that crocheted towel hanger with the rings. Not the color, though it does match the rest of the room quite nicely, but I want that in, like, a pale blue or steel gray in my guest bathroom.

Looks like it's probably macramé. My grandfather made a ton of that stuff back when it was in style (hanging baskets, etc). Might be a fun project, if you're into that kind of crafty hobby stuff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Looks like macrame to me, and macrame is dead easy. As a kid we made macrame plant holders and stuff in school, at camp, etc., I was born in '72 though, so maybe they don't teach that anymore. That particular towel holder isn't even made to look like a frog or an owl or anything, it would probably take just a few hours to DYI while binging netflix. You don't need special tools or anything, it's just tying knots in cords, and there are lots of free macrame patterns available online. Just don't use jute twine, it's cheap and looks very rustic but rips your delicate finger skin to shreds -- I can only assume that one arts and crafts teacher hated us. :mad:

Or there are a million 'vintage' ones for sale on etsy, but those are mostly in awful 70s colors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheese eats mouse posted:

Fibers can be easily dyed to something else, so if you ever find something like that at a thrift store I'd try it out.

A lot of the 'authentic' 70s macrame is polyester. It isn't changing color. On the upside it can't be stained accidentally, you can just rinse any water stains or whatever right off.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Facebook Aunt posted:

A lot of the 'authentic' 70s macrame is polyester. It isn't changing color.

This stuff seems to work okay for dyeing polyester.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Oh, macrame. Even better. I can probably get one of my aunts to make me one.

I learned to crochet briefly when it was trendy in the dorms. It lasted all of one scarf, when I realized I was burning a lot of time I could have spent drawing instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nice. All I know about polyester is that growing up it seemed drat near immortal. In the 80s I was still inheriting ugly hand-me-down polyester clothes that were at least 10 years old and just wouldn't die. Couldn't be stained. The only hope of killing them was to get them to start to unravel.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
If the OP is still lurking. If you have to tear up the bathroom floor to fix your beams--sound proof the floor/fill those cavities with insulation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HycoCam posted:

If the OP is still lurking. If you have to tear up the bathroom floor to fix your beams--sound proof the floor/fill those cavities with insulation.

He'll probably take that to mean "replace cavities with aquariums".

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Oh, macrame. Even better. I can probably get one of my aunts to make me one.

I learned to crochet briefly when it was trendy in the dorms. It lasted all of one scarf, when I realized I was burning a lot of time I could have spent drawing instead.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nice. All I know about polyester is that growing up it seemed drat near immortal. In the 80s I was still inheriting ugly hand-me-down polyester clothes that were at least 10 years old and just wouldn't die. Couldn't be stained. The only hope of killing them was to get them to start to unravel.

This is now a thread about....thread. No short cuts.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm buying wool to spin for the first time! I can share pics of the sheep later if you guys like (from Instant Jellyfish's farm :3:)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm buying wool to spin for the first time! I can share pics of the sheep later if you guys like (from Instant Jellyfish's farm :3:)

It's a good farm and I'm sad I don't get to go to shearing day this year. :'(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

So... you installed a bathtub that will self install in your kitchen because you are sure females love sexy tubs and being in the kitchen? GENIUS! Now your female can soak and make you breakfast at the same time!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Install a garbarator in the tub.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Install 300 pounds of concrete mix into your kitchen tub and turn it into an island.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Install a garbarator in the tub.

Also the toilet for big turds. Why isn't this a standard feature by now?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

value-brand cereal posted:

Install 300 pounds of concrete mix into your kitchen tub and turn it into an island.

I believe the proper forum specifications call for at least 400 pounds of concrete.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wait, do they make special toilets that are bigger to handle massive life altering dubble-stuff turds?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So as a FEMALE who did a full DIY gut job on my bathroom and designed it - here's an album of what I did.

http://imgur.com/a/sshEl

I didn't have nearly as much space as you to work with and unfortunately there are zero windows so no natural light. I did every thing I could however to make it as bright and open feeling as possible.

Also if you don't install a bidet you are missing out. Ladies - Bidets are so loving awesome for getting fresh post sexy times. If you want to be the guy who fucks - get a bidet.

Also I've been in Drape's amazing tiny blue tile sunken bath tub during a party. That poo poo is hilarious. I feel like it should be preserved like a museum piece for crazy poo poo people did during the 60s.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 12, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

silicone thrills posted:

So as a FEMALE who did a full DIY gut job on my bathroom and designed it - here's an album of what I did.

I didn't have nearly as much space as you to work with and unfortunately there are zero windows so no natural light. I did every thing I could however to make it as bright and open feeling as possible.

Also if you don't install a bidet you are missing out. Ladies - Bidets are so loving awesome for getting fresh post sexy times. If you want to be the guy who fucks - get a bidet.

Also I've been in Drape's amazing tiny blue tile sunken bath tub during a party. That poo poo is hilarious. I feel like it should be preserved like a museum piece for crazy poo poo people did during the 60s.

Hey Gurf.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait, do they make special toilets that are bigger to handle massive life altering dubble-stuff turds?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that bathroom remodel looks fantastic, well done

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Want. A couple years ago they replaced our toilets with smaller, more efficient toilets. Fair enough. But that wasn't enough, they also put in an inch thick foam liner. And set it so the now very tiny tank only fills up halfway. The toilet has to be scrubbed way more often than the old, inefficient one. :mad: Sometimes you need to flush two or three times with a big poop. Worse, one day I was sick and had high velocity diarrhea coat the whole bowl, and then when I flushed I found out there are a couple large patches that don't get wet at all. I had to squirt the shower in there otherwise the poop film wouldn't ever rinse away. That really wasn't something I wanted to deal with when I was already feeling sick.

I'm considering installing an aftermarket bidet attachment just so I have an easy way to rinse the toilet (and also my butt, of course, but mostly the toilet). That's probably going to waste way more water than if they just left me with a normal working toilet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

By the way, Op, since you're going to all this expense anyway, consider getting one of those fancy japanese toilets that will wash and blow dry your butt for you. I think they are self cleaning too? Nothing makes the panties drop like a fancy toilet.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Facebook Aunt posted:

By the way, Op, since you're going to all this expense anyway, consider getting one of those fancy japanese toilets that will wash and blow dry your butt for you. I think they are self cleaning too? Nothing makes the panties drop like a fancy toilet.

There's one in a sushi restaurant here and it's in the ladies room and it also has a seat warmer. Every girl friend I have talks about it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Bidet supremacy! I now dread pooping somewhere that isnt home, and I USED to love pooping at work.

I have this installed on the toilet pictured above flushing the nuggets. The American Standard Champion.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JB50 posted:

Bidet supremacy! I now dread pooping somewhere that isnt home, and I USED to love pooping at work.

I have this installed on the toilet pictured above flushing the nuggets. The American Standard Champion.

So, are you single?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

silicone thrills posted:

That looks excellent. Even if you did miss out on cutting into your trusses to sink the tub... Your tile work looks like you took your time and got it perfect.

If your suction cup soap dish stops sucking, you can always epoxy on a soap dish and/or shampoo shelf. Pencil around what you are mounting. Lightly grind the spot. Erase the pencil marks. Use slow set epoxy and don't over do the epoxy. Getting the epoxy thickness and not squishing is the trick. Securing with something more than painters tape. (tape plus some wood underneath/a tripod arrangement--you just don't want it sliding down the wall after a few hours.). After the epoxy has cured, normally 48 hours, finish with caulk or grout/sealer. Have a torpedo level and some acetone/denatured on hand for any stray epoxy and it will look pro.

e: Also, wondered what lights fixtures you used?

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

See, this was a bathroom that desperately needed to be gutted. Not a relatively recent build that was (gasp!) builder grade!

Even though I have much more traditional tastes in decor, I like it because it's clearly well thought out and well executed.

• Locked thread