Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The cop should've used a utility knife to take him down. He'd be alive and unharmed today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Oh look, king county cops being dick bags yet again. At least this one got fired but as the article notes - he'd already had many compliants. It literally took poisoning the water of the homeless to get this poo poo head off the force.

http://komonews.com/news/local/king-co-deputy-fired-for-pepper-spray-violation-at-homeless-camp

How's your Police Union? Down here he'd be back on patrol next week.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

xrunner posted:

displayed a UTILITY KNIFE

Seriously. There are other ways to handle a guy who is holding a loving box cutter.

Edit to remove a rather inappropriate sentence.
You seem fixated on downplaying the potential hazard of [just] a utility knife. Have you ever used one? What are your feelings on #2 screwdrivers?

anthonypants posted:

I want you to really think about the following questions:
Is it a crime to own a utility knife?
What about brandishing the knife?
What about threatening someone with it?
What if the person getting threatened is a police officer?

Is the punishment for owning a utility knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for brandishing this knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for threatening someone with a knife the death penalty?
Is the punishment for threatening a police officer with a knife the death penalty?

Is it necessary for the accused to receive a trial?
Is it the duty of the police officer to interpret the law to decide guilt?
Is it the duty of the police officer to carry out the punishment?
No
Yes
Yes
Yes

No
No
No
No

Yes
No
No

I'll ask:
Is it justifiable for someone to defend themselves in a situation where they are in immediate danger?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Jorbs posted:

You seem fixated on downplaying the potential hazard of [just] a utility knife. Have you ever used one? What are your feelings on #2 screwdrivers?

I'll ask:
Is it justifiable for someone to defend themselves in a situation where they are in immediate danger?

What is immediate danger? Is it the same for a civilian as it is for a police officer? Would you be okay with a police officer shooting a man holding a #2 screwdriver? Should the standard different than a panicked civilian?

What standard do you hold police officers to? Are they supposed to target and eliminate all threats? Do they have a duty to evaluate a threat and attempt to deescalate a situation, defaulting to the least deadly option if at all possible?

Police default immediately to deadly force because they're trained to default immediately to deadly force. There are consultants that come in and tell them that they don't stand a chance against a desperate and deadly criminal underclass who wants nothing more than to go on an action movie/video game style rampage. The public seems to excuse this behavior.

I'll tell you what. I expect the police to respond differently than I expect a panicked civilian to respond. I hold them to a much higher standard when it comes to evaluating threats. I also hold them to a much higher standard as to what actually is a threat. You put on that badge and swear that oath to serve and protect and talk a big game about how you're willing to lay your life down to defend the community, but the instant the tiniest threat pops up you unload the chamber in your service pistol. Sorry. Unacceptable.

I'd call an officer a hero if he put himself in harm's way to save a civilian being attacked on the street. Similarly, I'd call an officer a hero if he put himself in harms way to talk down an individual having a mental health crisis who might be a danger to himself or the community. I'd call an officer a coward if he gunned down an individual having a mental health crisis because he was a little bit worried that individual might harm him. Sorry. It's his job to go into danger. I'm not saying I expect an officer to rush into gunfire to execute a physical take-down of an active shooter. But I expect a lot more when the officer is dealing with somebody holding a small knife.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 12, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

They're the ones who specified it was a "utility knife" after nearly 24 hours to get their statement ready. Should we not take them at their word that it was a utility knife (aka a box cutter)?

Granted, even if it was a long blade I'd like to believe that our local police are trained to deescalate a situation where somebody is brandishing a loving knife and ignoring commands (note that they didn't say he lunged towards them or pointed the knife at them or whatnot). Police are pretty good at the word game and making the situation sound as dangerous as possible when there has been a shooting. The language they've chosen is pretty suspect.

But he was a drug user too! The media is definitely reporting that because it's important that we know what a loving scumbag this guy was.

The guy was running away when the cop murdered him, why is there any discussion at all about whether or not the cop was in immediate danger? The cop loving chased the guy and then when the pig got close he got scared and killed him. Even if the guy did "brandish" a utility knife, what about the situation makes it ok to murder him? Piece of poo poo cop chased someone and then murdered them because they were non-compliant.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

xrunner posted:

How's your Police Union? Down here he'd be back on patrol next week.

Hit or miss. We've been able to get rid of some lovely cops. Like the one who arrested a man for walking across the street using a golf club as a cane. I know if you followed the union's Facebook page, you'd see some incredibly racist memes there.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

xrunner posted:

That would be an objectively good thing.

I agree. I was just trying to be a little cheeky.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

I think you're reaching a bit on this.

Edit: coming in with a shield after the guy is already shot and down is ridiculous though.

No.

Accretionist posted:

Literally yes.

No.

Steve Jorbs posted:

You have a fair point on the language issue. I believe they would play up the situation as much as they could if the man was making a move against them.

I still don't think it's far fetched to consider a utility knife as a dangerous weapon though. They are sturdy to hold and you can dig in quite hard with them with a partially extended blade.

No.

Accretionist posted:

If their description of events is even close to accurate --

-- then I'd put odds on it having been reasonable.

No.

Accretionist posted:

The cop should've used a utility knife to take him down. He'd be alive and unharmed today!

No.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

These loving cops need to wear loving body cams.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

No.
No.
No.
No.
No.
For the bold no, are you disagreeing to the part where I agree that the cop probably escalated the situation beyond what was needed originally given the lack of descriptive language in the account or that a utility knife can be dangerous?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Accretionist posted:

This framing applies to a safe and secure prisoner. You wouldn't execute me for having hit you with a baseball bat but you'd be justified in killing me to prevent being hit with a baseball bat.
I disagree that it would be fair and reasonable for me to murder you with a gun just because you threatened me with a baseball bat. I also believe that police officers should be held to the same rational standard, and that any opposing argument must be made in ridiculously bad faith, because it presupposes that police officers are special snowflakes which must be protected above the lives of non-police, at all costs, to include breaking the laws which they are allegedly sworn to uphold.

Steve Jorbs posted:

Yes, an individual in imminent danger should be able to defend themselves. But, get this:

that includes when the aggressor is a police officer

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo son you just got WRECKED

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Steve Jorbs posted:

For the bold no, are you disagreeing to the part where I agree that the cop probably escalated the situation beyond what was needed originally given the lack of descriptive language in the account or that a utility knife can be dangerous?

it isn't dangerous if it's waaaay the gently caress over there in some dudes hand.

Yes I realize how easily a blade like that can sever arteries but come on

e;

anthonypants posted:

I disagree that it would be fair and reasonable for me to murder you with a gun just because you threatened me with a baseball bat. I also believe that police officers should be held to the same rational standard, and that any opposing argument must be made in ridiculously bad faith, because it presupposes that police officers are special snowflakes which must be protected above the lives of non-police, at all costs, to include breaking the laws which they are allegedly sworn to uphold.
Yes, an individual in imminent danger should be able to defend themselves. But, get this:

empty quote

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 12, 2017

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

it isn't dangerous if it's waaaay the gently caress over there in some dudes hand.

Yes I realize how easily a blade like that can sever arteries but come on

Seriously. Why do people have such a hard time with "Brandishing is not the same thing as attacking with..." It's such a basic concept.

Also this:

anthonypants posted:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

xrunner posted:

Seriously. Why do people have such a hard time with "Brandishing is not the same thing as attacking with..." It's such a basic concept.

I fart in your general direction *is shot*

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

anthonypants posted:

I think it would be unreasonable to murder them if they made a verbal threat towards you, but if they picked up a baseball bat and postured threateningly towards you with it that is a completely different situation. If the police officer had pulled out his gun first I would think that the man would have been justified in defending himself, but I don't think that being chased by an officer makes the officer an aggressor to the degree they need to be killed.

I think the story just got updated with more details, and a few typos: http://katu.com/news/local/man-shot-killed-by-portland-police-officer-was-struggling-with-drug-addiction

quote:

Steve Alexander who lives nearby and witnessed it all said Johnson was crouching on the MAX tracks about 7 to 10 feet from the officer when he pulled out a knofe.

xrunner posted:

Also this:
Because the definition of brandish is to flourish an object as a weapon in a threatening manner.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 12, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Steve Jorbs posted:

I think it would be unreasonable to murder them if they made a verbal threat towards you, but if they picked up a baseball bat and postured threateningly towards you with it that is a completely different situation.

I think the story just got updated with more details, and a few typos: http://katu.com/news/local/man-shot-killed-by-portland-police-officer-was-struggling-with-drug-addiction

Because the definition of brandish is to flourish an object as a weapon in a threatening manner.
Someone is crouching on the MAX tracks, seven to ten feet away from the cop, and you're seriously arguing that this is the definition of "posturing threateningly" towards a police officer, and that's why it's okay for cops to murder another human being.

I don't even think anybody's talked about tazers yet, but hey, did you know? There is a device called a "tazer", which in most circumstances, is a non-lethal takedown method available from a distance. As per Wikipedia, non-police tazers are limited to a distance of 15 feet, and police tazers can go farther.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Solidarity from Seattle.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Firefighters and paramedics are cool though, thanks guys.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Steve Jorbs posted:

I think it would be unreasonable to murder them if they made a verbal threat towards you, but if they picked up a baseball bat and postured threateningly towards you with it that is a completely different situation. If the police officer had pulled out his gun first I would think that the man would have been justified in defending himself, but I don't think that being chased by an officer makes the officer an aggressor to the degree they need to be killed.

Brandishing was a very bad choice of words on my part. The police statement actually uses "displayed a knife". Even then, waving a knife around is not the same thing as using a knife. Those are very different actions and the later is an escalation that doesn't necessarily flow from the former.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

Firefighters and paramedics are cool though, thanks guys.
Not ALL paramedics

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

:discourse:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Not ALL paramedics

how am i supposed to know what you are talking about if you attach the img so i can't even reverse img search it :arghfist:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

how am i supposed to know what you are talking about if you attach the img so i can't even reverse img search it :arghfist:
He's from New York and has nothing to do with this thread but I loving love that picture and am reminded of it every time someone mentions a paramedic. Here's an article with a different worse picture https://nypost.com/2013/03/24/fdny-ems-lt-spews-racist-anti-semitic-tweets-but-cried-when-confronted/

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Every paramedic and EMT I've known have been the biggest pieces of poo poo. They do the job not because they're helping people, they do it because they like seeing people die. I've seen these pieces of poo poo take pictures of dead/dying people and send it to each other so that they can laugh about it. The excuse was "well, you have to laugh because otherwise it's too sad"...

One of my old coworkers was an EMT and he used to tell stories about gruesome poo poo, as if anyone was asking for it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

An EMT I know is the best protest street medic I've ever met, and I would not hesitate to describe some of his work in that capacity as heroic and lifesaving. Maybe you just have a bad local sample you've drawn from?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Displaying a box cutter got him murdered by a cop.

How can you loving be okay with this?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's possible to defend yourself from potential threats without killing them. This is one of the foundations on which society is built.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
can you imagine if folks killed police for brandishing their actual guns. because I can. and it's beautiful :allears:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, shooting a man with a box cutter is an excuse for homicide.

Honestly, I think Portland needs to do what Georgia (the country) did, fire all the police in waves and then rehire then with much stricter requirements especially regarding discharging their weapon. Also, we probably need a Mayor/City Council that isn't a PBA sock puppet and can actually push for real funding to address homelessness and mental health issues.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it is more appropriate for a police officer to take injury in the process of deescalating a situation than it is for one to commit murder in response to any potential threat. police should serve the public, not the other way around

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

ElCondemn posted:

Every paramedic and EMT I've known have been the biggest pieces of poo poo. They do the job not because they're helping people, they do it because they like seeing people die. I've seen these pieces of poo poo take pictures of dead/dying people and send it to each other so that they can laugh about it. The excuse was "well, you have to laugh because otherwise it's too sad"...

One of my old coworkers was an EMT and he used to tell stories about gruesome poo poo, as if anyone was asking for it.

Yo considering what they deal with to collect a paycheck I'm willing to grant EMTs a wide loving berth when it comes to gallows humor.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lazy_Liberal posted:

can you imagine if folks killed police for brandishing their actual guns. because I can. and it's beautiful :allears:

:jerkbag: Yeah because killing people is cool and good and I foresee no issues stemming from that.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

:jerkbag: Yeah because killing people is cool and good and I foresee no issues stemming from that.

not people. cops.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Venuz Patrol posted:

not people. cops.

Excellent double standard there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jack2142 posted:

Excellent double standard there.
All cops are bastards.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

All cops are bastards.

Okay

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Glad to see you agree.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Having an issue with cops being shitheads on a constant basis is good and normal. Thinking cops are not literally people is hosed up and crazy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Peachfart posted:

Having an issue with cops being shitheads on a constant basis is good and normal. Thinking cops are not literally people is hosed up and crazy.

hey here is a thought, maybe that was a post using hyperbole to express significant contempt for cops generally, and not a literal statement about if cops are automata or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
To be fair it was time to rein it in.