Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lid posted:

My tiny violin shares are soaring.

It's actually bad for people to have their lives destroyed because they received bad financial advice, regardless of who they voted for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

racing identity posted:

It's actually bad for people to have their lives destroyed because they received bad financial advice, regardless of who they voted for
Normally I'd agree, but in general boomers have the biggest sense of gently caress You, Got Mine it's some good schadenfreude.

Also, when boomers whine about how "Young people have it so easy." what exactly are they referring to? How exactly do millennials have it easy?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Labor are attacking the Greens for dealing with the Libs to cut private school funding [SMH]

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

Normally I'd agree, but in general boomers have the biggest sense of gently caress You, Got Mine it's some good schadenfreude.

Also, when boomers whine about how "Young people have it so easy." what exactly are they referring to? How exactly do millennials have it easy?

Permanent financial ruin seems a tall price to pay for having bad opinions

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol Turnbull is wanting to send troops back to Afghanistan

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Turns out the Imgur app autopublishes uploads and I just got a bunch of abusive comments. Good stuff, imgur.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 12, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Greens aren't the ones locking kids up in concentration camps. How's that change from within working out for you VBH?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

lol Turnbull is wanting to send troops back to Afghanistan

I remember someone saying "the easiest way to close the gap in the polling numbers is to manufacture a war".

Good thing it won't work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bogan King posted:

Greens aren't the ones locking kids up in concentration camps. How's that change from within working out for you VBH?

Greens aren't in charge bud. No one votes for them.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bogan King posted:

The only moral voting with the coalition is Labor's voting with the coalition.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

The only moral voting with the coalition is Labor's voting with the coalition.

That's because labor is pragmatic but holds real values in their heart and represents real workers but makes comprises necessary for government. Greens are secret lizardpeople.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kafka Syrup posted:

Turns out the Imgur app autopublishes uploads and I just got a bunch of abusive comments. Good stuff, imgur.

Quick Van, better jump off Labor since they'll be voting with the Coalition on the bank tax

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

racing identity posted:

Permanent financial ruin seems a tall price to pay for having bad opinions

Counterpoint: as a demographic they're the biggest drain on the economy so let's see some balance.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

CrazyTolradi posted:

They didn't get caned in school.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ewe2 posted:

Counterpoint: as a demographic they're the biggest drain on the economy so let's see some balance.

Boomers working until they're 130 years old because they owe the bank $2m isn't going to be good for anyone

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
But I thought all boomers worked hard, spent within their means, and bought an inexpensive property that they only added modern conveniences to when it was fiscally responsible!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

But I thought all boomers worked hard, spent within their means, and bought an inexpensive property that they only added modern conveniences to when it was fiscally responsible!

Like carpet and curtains!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Maybe I'm too naive but I thought that woman surely meant new carpets and curtains. Right? Nobody really expects to live off the concrete with newspaper on the windows...

[90%ofpoorshaveafridge.jpg]

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

G-Spot Run posted:

Maybe I'm too naive but I thought that woman surely meant new carpets and curtains. Right? Nobody really expects to live off the concrete with newspaper on the windows...

[90%ofpoorshaveafridge.jpg]

We used to live in a lake.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Osman posted:

Men’s rights activists, anti-racism campaigners, the Israel-Palestine crisis and Mark Latham. Despite the lack of obvious commonality between these issues, they all cropped up last night when the University of Sydney became the latest battleground over a documentary accused of promoting “misogynstic propaganda”.

The university’s student union had refused to endorse a screening of The Red Pill, a documentary produced by filmmaker Cassie Jaye on the rise of the men’s rights movement, but a trio of student societies including Students for Liberty, the Conservative Club and BROSoc went ahead with their own privately-funded event.

Protests and petitions have led to screenings of the film being cancelled around the country, and last night’s screening at Sydney Uni was itself targeted by student activists, including members of a group known as Fascist Free USyd.

Supporters and opponents of the film clashed before the event kicked off, leading to one arrest. But were the tensions on display really just about one film or are they part of a broader cultural battle playing out between progressives and the far-right?

The Protests

About 50 protesters had gathered on Sydney Uni’s Eastern Avenue walkway, around the corner from where the The Red Pill was about to be screened. Opponents of the film had already succeeded in ensuring that the event wouldn’t be supported by the student union, arguing that “there is the distinct possibility that the planned screening of this documentary would be discriminatory against women, and has the capacity to intimidate and physically threaten women on campus.”

Even though the screening was entirely independently organised, left-wing students had mobilised to demonstrate their opposition to the ideas articulated in the film.

One of the organisers of the protest, Eleanor Morley, told me that “the film argues that struggles for women’s liberations have gone so far that women are now structurally oppressing men around the world. I think it’s quite laughable when you look at the serious disadvantages and discrimination face that women still face in society, such as the gender pay gap.

“It features a whole bunch of disgusting figures of the alt-right who hold deeply racist, homophobic and Islamophobic views as well,” Morley said. “We’re holding the protest because we want to make sure the film’s misogynistic, right-wing views are countered with a left-wing, anti-racist message.”

But Morley said the protest wasn’t about shutting the screening down, just articulating a different perspective.

According to the protest organisers, a film crew from Mark Latham’s Outsiders, Latham’s self-funded Facebook Live “show”, was there to record the action. When I asked Latham’s alleged cameraman whether he had been sent by the former Labor leader he said “I have no idea why I’m here” and backed away from me quickly, nearly tripping over a bench in the process.

The protesters used their chants to link The Red Pill to issues of racism and Islamophobia, which seemed kind of jarring given the film’s narrow focus on men’s rights activism and what it argues are the problems with contemporary feminism. But according to Morley, who is also an organiser with Fascist Free USyd, racism and men’s rights activism are both values embraced by emerging far-right groups on campus.

“It’s quite notable here at Sydney Uni,” Morley said. “Since the election of Donald Trump we’ve seen people walking around in ‘Make America Great Again’ hats, lots of racist graffiti and lots of Islamophobic signs posted around campus.”

The conflation of men’s rights issues and race wasn’t just confined to left-wing students, however.

At one stage the protest was interrupted (or hijacked?) by pro-Israel protestors. A group of students unfurled an Israeli Defence Force flag, for no clear reason, which led to some of The Red Pill protestors breaking out into spontaneous “Free Palestine” chants. One student attempted to grab the flag but was blocked by an organiser of the screening.

The scuffle ended pretty quickly and the protestors went back to chanting about the film. It was like the bizarre Israeli Defence Force interlude never happened.

The Battle

Up until this point the two groups — protestors and film attendees — had been kept seperate, but police were on standby in case there was a clash. And, of course, there was a clash.

A few minutes before the film was scheduled to begin the protestors marched to the entrance of the lecture theatre hosting the screening, chanting “racists, sexists, anti-queer bigots are not welcome here”.

Some film attendees started chanting back, and they seemed to be enjoying the fact that something as simple as their decision to attend watch a documentary had sparked such a furious response.

One man wearing a t-shirt with the phrase “feminism is cancer” started dancing in front of the protestors. The event’s organiser, Renee Gorman, posed for photos in front of the angry crowd.

Gorman told me the event was her idea and she decided to organise it after finding it had been banned in Melbourne. “I watched it and thought it was really interesting, and thought it would be interesting to put it on here on campus,” she said.

“I think if you watch the film it’s actually not that intense, and it’s not worth the slander they’re putting against it.”

Conservative commentator Daisy Cousens, who was promoting the event on Twitter all week (despite not being a student at the university) appeared to be deriving a lot of enjoyment out of egging the protestors on.

A fight broke out when a member of Students for Liberty accused a protestor of stealing tickets to the event, but police quickly intervened. It was the only incident of physical violence I witnessed.

Students on both sides seemed happy enough to yell chants at each other, rather than actually punch on.

Given the protestors had already explained that they weren’t trying to shut down the screening, why exactly were they there? Morley said they were trying to articulate a “left-wing, anti-racist message” but the sole audience, other than journalists and the police, was the film attendees themselves. And they were loving the attention.

[click the drat link if you want to read more]

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Quick Van, better jump off Labor since they'll be voting with the Coalition on the bank tax

are you not?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lol Daisy reduced to an MRA cheerleader.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Voting for the greens is a pretty big dumb waste of time and energy. Hope this clarifies the mistakes the young people itt have made politically

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Voting for the greens is a pretty big dumb waste of time and energy. Hope this clarifies the mistakes the young people itt have made politically

Yeah it's not like ALP have made dumb decisions, let's do whatever JBP says :troll:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ewe2 posted:

Lol Daisy reduced to an MRA cheerleader.

"reduced".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I like JBP and I'd probably give the ALP another go if they dropped poo poo policy but it won't happen

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

What happens if my union tells me to vote Greens? Huh?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

JBP posted:

Are you being legit? If so then do go on.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Thanks for all the help re: explaining why drug testing welfare recipients is a shithouse idea.

And JBP who is the correct party to vote for then?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

one nation

the only way out is accelerationism

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Cory Bernardi's Australian Conservatives Party

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

Bullet Train For Australia

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah, it takes a lot of loving energy to write 1 Greens 2 Labor. It's a whole extra digit every few years, bloody draining on the wrist.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Dude McAwesome posted:

Thanks for all the help re: explaining why drug testing welfare recipients is a shithouse idea.

And JBP who is the correct party to vote for then?
You should vote for...*checks notes*

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, it takes a lot of loving energy to write 1 Greens 2 Labor. It's a whole extra digit every few years, bloody draining on the wrist.

You're right

gently caress writing that 2

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i legitimately voted 1 Bullet Train for Australia last election because i've developed prodromal schizophrenia

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Why does he vote Labor when he's JBP?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

i legitimately voted 1 Bullet Train for Australia last election because i've developed prodromal schizophrenia

there are worse reasons to vote for a party

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm a greens voter and member, but there's no way in hell I wouldn't preference Labor immediately after.

Labor aren't perfect (neither are the greens) it's just that the policies of the greens align with my views about what defines good policy more closely than do the policies of Labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
JBP didn't read that 'you can't waste your vote' cartoon. Sad, really.

• Locked thread