Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fadam posted:

I think on balance we ended up with a better cast. Cheetah is lame, but everyone else is cool. The IJ1 cast has like five or six Cheetahs.

Cheetah is one of the most mechanically interesting characters so I say bring on more cheetahs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sure mechanically she's fine, but they could have given that moveset to basically anyone.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i mean, the list of who we've gained isnt even complete yet so i'd say we ended up with an upgrade overall for sure. especially if one or two of the big key missing dudes comes back

like lobo

bring back lobo so he can shittalk darkseid

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fadam posted:

Sure mechanically she's fine, but they could have given that moveset to basically anyone.

Well granted I know know all the dc characters or nothing but a super leapy/pouncy moveset with lots of command grabs and clawing/slashing people to poo poo couldn't go to that many people.

Also I think cheetah looks loving boss in the game with all the tribal/bone laden customize pieces.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I also am on team Cheetah Is Rad

Vixen rules too though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I miss Shazam just because I like Shazam, but I still have Black Adam so I'm fine.

almost certainly will get Shazam as a premier skin.

Kelp Plankton posted:

i mean, the list of who we've gained isnt even complete yet so i'd say we ended up with an upgrade overall for sure. especially if one or two of the big key missing dudes comes back

Injustice 1 had losers like Hawkgirl, Killer Frost, and Ares so it's a flat out upgrade

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I miss Raven, but that's just because she's my favorite DC character. I didn't really like her gameplay, and that's so frustrating when the character you really like doesn't feel great to play.

There's always DLC and premier skins, I suppose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would miss Shazam more if they called him by his real name Captain Marvel. (Which he appears to be back to being)

Sadly Injustice was released right when Captain Marvel had his name changed for no good reason. (Seriously the reason given was pathetic.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 12, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

He was called Shazam in MK vs DC also, way before the name change stuff. I think their agreement with Marvel about the name usage doesn't extend to other forms of media than comic books.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the deal with the Captain Marvel/name thing anyway? Why did Marvel get to keep the name?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shazam is the wizard you must mean Shazam's Monster.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah but what was Shazam's Monster but Shazam's son? Therefor, referring to him as Shazam wouldn't would be wholly inaccurate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kelp Plankton posted:

He was called Shazam in MK vs DC also, way before the name change stuff. I think their agreement with Marvel about the name usage doesn't extend to other forms of media than comic books.

This is not true as he has constantly been called Captain Marvel in other Media that he appears in. Up until the Reboot. Which they rolled back on.

fadam posted:

What's the deal with the Captain Marvel/name thing anyway? Why did Marvel get to keep the name?

Well Captain Marvel was a super hero that was created a really low time ago by a group called Fawcett Comics. Captain Marvel possibly because the idea of a good kid who transformed into the mightiest man in the world by saying a magic word resonated with people, became the most popular super hero. Outselling and leaping over DC's hero's of Superman and Batman. Lots of comics had made a superman like character, but Captain Marvel was the only notable one that improved on the similar idea and out preformed it. As a result DC eventually decided to play dirty and sued Fawcett Comics to get rid of Captain Marvel on the bais he was based off Superman and were successful taking Captain Marvel off the streets in 1953 despite him having been around since 1939.

Eventually DC got Captain Marvels license from Fawcett in 1972 and returned Captain Marvel to sydication and eventully got all the rights to Captain Marvel and all related characters. The issue that came about is that Marvel Comics had eventually came into being and made a character called Captain Marvel in 1967, while the Original Captain Marvel was not around. And also got a trademark on the name.

After some disputes with Marvel about this. They came to a compromise. Captain Marvel can be called Captain Marvel. But his name can't be used in the titles. As a result they tended to name the titles after the magic words he used to transform. So titles like SHZAM! and Billy Batson and the Magic/Power of Shazam. (The power version will apparently be the title of the upcoming movie) However as a result of not being able to use his name in his books titles people who did not know the situation thought his name was Shazam. And DC back in 2011 decided to ignore their fans and just call him what the ignorant people did. (Which happily they have rolled back on. Even releasing two very good books featuring him.)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Speaking as someone with an avatar of the other Captain Marvel, I gotta say that Shazam is a catchier and more evocative name.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

After some disputes with Marvel about this. They came to a compromise. Captain Marvel can be called Captain Marvel. But his name can't be used in the titles. As a result they tended to name the titles after the magic words he used to transform. So titles like SHZAM! and Billy Batson and the Magic/Power of Shazam. (The power version will apparently be the title of the upcoming movie) However as a result of not being able to use his name in his books titles people who did not know the situation thought his name was Shazam. And DC back in 2011 decided to ignore their fans and just call him what the ignorant people did. (Which happily they have rolled back on. Even releasing two very good books featuring him.)

They haven't rolled back anything. Both the upcoming film and Justice League Action call him Shazam (as does the references to him on Injustice 2) while on the comics he has been completely absent so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crowetron posted:

Speaking as someone with an avatar of the other Captain Marvel, I gotta say that Shazam is a catchier and more evocative name.

Not really. Captain Marvel is even supposed to look partially military like. Shazam is also the name of another character, the Wizard who grants him his power by speaking his name.

Also if they call Captain Marvel Shazam then he becomes a hero like his Sidekick Captain Marvel Jr who can't say his own name. Because if he says Shazam then he summons the magic lightning that transforms him as a result he can't say the word in conversation without transforming.

Captain Marvel Jr was his friend Freddie who Idolized Captain Marvel, and was eventually granted powers like his. He would Transform when ever he said the name of his idol Captain Marvel. As a result he amusingly became a hero incapble of saying his own name. Which was used as the butt of many jokes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They haven't rolled back anything. Both the upcoming film and Justice League Action call him Shazam (as does the references to him on Injustice 2) while on the comics he has been completely absent so far.

They called him Captain Marvel in a recent discussion about the upcoming movie. Also of course Injustice 2 is not going to call him that. As they already called him something else and they have to be consistent there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 12, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It sucks that DC Captain Marvel lost his name, but it sucks even more when you consider who actually ended up with it :(

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not really. Captain Marvel is even supposed to look partially military like. Shazam is also the name of another character, the Wizard who grants him his power by speaking his name.

Also if they call Captain Marvel Shazam then he becomes a hero like his Sidekick Captain Marvel Jr who can't say his own name. Because if he says Shazam then he summons the magic lightning that transforms him as a result he can't say the word in conversation without transforming.

Captain Marvel Jr was his friend Freddie who Idolized Captain Marvel, and was eventually granted powers like his. He would Transform when ever he said the name of his idol Captain Marvel. As a result he amusingly became a hero incapble of saying his own name. Which was used as the butt of many jokes.

Fair enough. I'm not as familiar with the character, so I didn't know about the collateral name damage.

fadam posted:

It sucks that DC Captain Marvel lost his name, but it sucks even more when you consider who actually ended up with it :(

She was a great character when DeConnick was writing her. Marvel's Captain Marvel, like many before her, fell victim to the cruel double-whammy of Big Event syndrome and Bendis-ism :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shazam is a remarkably stupid name for the character because the writers are always crazy lazy about it and never actually deal with the glaring flaws it involves.

Not to mention they keep using it as an excuse not to introduce Mary and Freddy in any meaningful way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyways, more of the story has been making its way to the internet and we know now that Joker is just a fear toxin hallucination. And it only shows once to fight Harley

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyways, more of the story has been making its way to the internet and we know now that Joker is just a fear toxin hallucination. And it only shows once to fight Harley

That is acceptable. Kind of glad about this.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 12, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I frigging KNEW that Joker was Jonathan Kent!!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo. did not expect Le Joker to actually be Rudy in clown makeup.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Crowetron posted:

Fair enough. I'm not as familiar with the character, so I didn't know about the collateral name damage.

She was a great character when DeConnick was writing her. Marvel's Captain Marvel, like many before her, fell victim to the cruel double-whammy of Big Event syndrome and Bendis-ism :negative:

I'm still hoping Mar-Vell gets resurrected and takes his title back.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah but what was Shazam's Monster but Shazam's son? Therefor, referring to him as Shazam wouldn't would be wholly inaccurate.

William "Billy" Shazamson

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crowetron posted:

What? No, KSD's Captain Marvel is junk.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't believe the real Joker was the friends we made along the way

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Joker taking up a character slot is still super disappointing. There are several characters I'd rather see return from the first game than him.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
To anyone who has the game early or is following the leaks or whatever: how does story mode work? There's some degree of branching outcomes or character selection or something, right? How does it work? Is it substantially different to previous NRS story modes or is it just window dressing?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Can you gay romance Grodd, that's all I care about.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Joker taking up a character slot is still super disappointing. There are several characters I'd rather see return from the first game than him.

honestly if you want to direct your attention to wasted slots, you could start with Sub-Zero and Red Hood and, if they are real, Raiden and Enchantress. When 2017 is at its end and we have no Constantine, Mad Max, Rudy, Etrigan, or Spectre, then you will know true pain

FunkMonkey posted:

Can you gay romance Grodd, that's all I care about.

FLASH: "I want that rear end"
GRODD: "Why must you continue with this!?"
FLASH: "Swiggity swoogity I want that booty"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

DLC Inc posted:

FLASH: "I want that rear end"
GRODD: "Why must you continue with this!?"
FLASH: "Swiggity swoogity I want that booty"

"I've bedded tougher and stronger!"

*Pours wine skull over pecs* "But never studlier."

BEGIN

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't believe Joker jumped out of Injustice and straight into Marvel vs. Capcom

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently I've been wrong this whole time. The Rudy we're getting in DLC Pack 2 isn't from Funhouse....it's actually America's Mayor, Rudy Giuliani. Unfortunately he's just a premiere skin for Le Joker.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

To anyone who has the game early or is following the leaks or whatever: how does story mode work? There's some degree of branching outcomes or character selection or something, right? How does it work? Is it substantially different to previous NRS story modes or is it just window dressing?

Some chapters have two characters as protagonists and prompts will show up on certain fights asking you to pick what character will fight. Far as I can tell, is mostly cosmetic.

Until the end that is, the different ending bit is merely who you pick for the final fight: Batman or Superman

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DLC Inc posted:

Apparently I've been wrong this whole time. The Rudy we're getting in DLC Pack 2 isn't from Funhouse....it's actually America's Mayor, Rudy Giuliani. Unfortunately he's just a premiere skin for Le Joker.

"It's weird, sir, the Rudy Giuliani skin is our most bought DLC by far, but literally no one uses it in multiplayer."

"What?"

"Yea they just all use it in training mode for the AI dummy..."

"Oh, working as intended then."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

"It's weird, sir, the Rudy Giuliani skin is our most bought DLC by far, but literally no one uses it in multiplayer."

"What?"

"Yea they just all use it in training mode for the AI dummy..."

"Oh, working as intended then."

It's a Joker reskin, yet uses an alt version of Black Adam's super, replacing the pyramid with twin towers

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Kara's mom in the mobile game intro kills more enemies than the actual security forces.

Moms are tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Xeremides posted:

I'm still hoping Mar-Vell gets resurrected and takes his title back.

Thankfully this will literally never happen

• Locked thread