Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amazon Prime also has a ton of HBO stuff that you don't need the add-on for, just not recent seasons (they have like the first few seasons of Veep and so forth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

Amazon Prime also has a ton of HBO stuff that you don't need the add-on for, just not recent seasons (they have like the first few seasons of Veep and so forth)

You will soon though, they're gonna take down all the free HBO content so you need the HBO sub for everything.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
My wife and I tried to watch the new season of Sense8 and the first episode (technically S2E2) really sucked. We kinda liked the premise of the first season and watched through it all, but holy hell that was a rough hour of tv watching... Has anyone watched the whole second season yet? Does it get better?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Beyond the Gates was okay. I'd never heard of it before and was expecting garbage, and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I just watched cartoon classics vol 1, which is 3 hours of cartoons which ends on a superman cartoon and am starting cartoon classics volume 2 which is another three hours of cartoons for free with prime

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cithen posted:

My wife and I tried to watch the new season of Sense8 and the first episode (technically S2E2) really sucked. We kinda liked the premise of the first season and watched through it all, but holy hell that was a rough hour of tv watching... Has anyone watched the whole second season yet? Does it get better?

Yes, it gets a lot better. The pacing smooths out a lot, and you get to see tons of depressed Lito which is always fantastic.

Also
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819454

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
As a big fan of Neil Gaiman, I'm really interested in seeing American Gods, especially as the first couple episodes seem to have good reviews.

That being said, is it worth getting Prime just for American Gods? I already have Netflix, and have a few shows I'm already watching.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

PotatoManJack posted:

As a big fan of Neil Gaiman, I'm really interested in seeing American Gods, especially as the first couple episodes seem to have good reviews.

That being said, is it worth getting Prime just for American Gods? I already have Netflix, and have a few shows I'm already watching.

You have to have prime +starz in order to watch american gods.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Is it worth getting both?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

PotatoManJack posted:

Is it worth getting both?

Starz has Ash vs Evil Dead, so hellya.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Remulak posted:

Starz has Ash vs Evil Dead, so hellya.

I was going to say Ash vs. The Evil Dead is worth it alone, so yeah Starz is worth it.

Ash vs. The Evil Dead is one of the best shows thats still running.

American Gods on its own is p. good, though not amazing. Its an interesting show with a lot of promise, I've only seen two episodes and I bet it will get better from there.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Just watched Glory on Amazon prime. Check it out. Its a great movie about an african american civil war battalion.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Cheap bourbon and Nightmare on Elm Street followed by Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a great use of, like... several dollars. Especially to commemorate Craven's passing, because I somehow didn't realize he had died even though I love the guy

I watched Nightmare when I was a kid, but I appreciated none of the good stuff. I watched New Nightmare as a kid too, but I appreciated none of the callbacks or real-life castings. Now, as an adult who has actually taken a ton of horror classes (including a class specifically on Craven), I think New Nightmare is one of the most metatextual films I've ever seen (assuming you don't include humor because parodies necessarily ridicule the previous year's popular stuff by default). Craven casting Craven as Craven is pretty unbeatable.

Anyway, if you have Netflix, watch NOES followed by Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Or, alternatively, jump in a lake, ya mug

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

anime tupac posted:

Cheap bourbon and Nightmare on Elm Street followed by Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a great use of, like... several dollars. Especially to commemorate Craven's passing, because I somehow didn't realize he had died even though I love the guy

I watched Nightmare when I was a kid, but I appreciated none of the good stuff. I watched New Nightmare as a kid too, but I appreciated none of the callbacks or real-life castings. Now, as an adult who has actually taken a ton of horror classes (including a class specifically on Craven), I think New Nightmare is one of the most metatextual films I've ever seen (assuming you don't include humor because parodies necessarily ridicule the previous year's popular stuff by default). Craven casting Craven as Craven is pretty unbeatable.

Anyway, if you have Netflix, watch NOES followed by Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Or, alternatively, jump in a lake, ya mug

I like that John Saxon came back for New Nightmare. I like to imagine that after the movie was over he just went to a bar somewhere and started acting out his part in Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really can't recommend Agents of SHIELD enough. It's really grim in the first few episodes, but it's an absolute treat from the back half of season 1 onwards, and it really keeps up the pace with exciting plotlines. Just about all the characters are interesting as well with good arcs, even the ones that were lame in the beginning.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I started Bloodline and I'm only 3 episodes in and it's keeping me intrigued. I just want to know if the slow burn leads somewhere.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

tweet my meat posted:

I really can't recommend Agents of SHIELD enough. It's really grim in the first few episodes, but it's an absolute treat from the back half of season 1 onwards, and it really keeps up the pace with exciting plotlines. Just about all the characters are interesting as well with good arcs, even the ones that were lame in the beginning.

I can't recommend not watching Agents of SHIELD enough. It's not a treat at all and is a steaming pile of dogshit through and throughout.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Got ham is the best of the abc/nbc/fox superhero shows.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

GonSmithe posted:

I can't recommend not watching Agents of SHIELD enough. It's not a treat at all and is a steaming pile of dogshit through and throughout.

My condolences for your lack of taste.

It's definitely not for everyone though, it's corny as poo poo a lot of the time and it's far from the pinnacle of writing, but it's incredibly fun and stays consistently fun through season 2, and what I've watched of season 3 so far.

MacheteZombie posted:

Another solid choice if you're in the mood for something corny.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 12, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Agents of Shield suffers from the same thing almost all network shows do, it has interesting story arcs that just can't be sustained over 24 or even 12 episodes, so you end up with tons of filler and periods of time where you feel like over a month has gone by and there's been no actual plot movement. Every season has those issues at one point or another, so it never has been able to maintain consistency. But when its good, its good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

It really is. And there's not a single *wink nudge* the entire time. It's the modern version of the classic Batman tv show.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

It really is. And there's not a single *wink nudge* the entire time. It's the modern version of the classic Batman tv show.

Their casting choices are great too. Vic Mackey as Capt. Barnes was superb.

also Azrael

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 12, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Basebf555 posted:

Agents of Shield suffers from the same thing almost all network shows do, it has interesting story arcs that just can't be sustained over 24 or even 12 episodes, so you end up with tons of filler and periods of time where you feel like over a month has gone by and there's been no actual plot movement. Every season has those issues at one point or another, so it never has been able to maintain consistency. But when its good, its good.

I probably don't notice as much since I'm binging, but that's a pretty valid complaint. You get a fair amount of monster of the week episodes.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rad Valtar posted:

I started Bloodline and I'm only 3 episodes in and it's keeping me intrigued. I just want to know if the slow burn leads somewhere.

Season 1 is self contained, give or take a dumb subplot. It's phenomenal. Season 2 didn't keep my interest.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rad Valtar posted:

It's the slowest of burns but yes, absolutely. That said, the last 30 seconds of season 1 turned me off from watching season 2 (which, without that last thirty seconds would have been a redundancy anyway). In my mind it will always be an amazing single season, one-and-done show.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

PotatoManJack posted:

Hell yes this show can become great.
If you want go safe no to kick money in the toilet wait.
I watched the first 2 episodes and I realy love it. PM me to get a spoil.

Did you read the book? Oh wait better question is did you watched pushing daysi and Hannibal specialy Hannibal.
If you liked Hannibal American Gods is a show for you. It's a show for adults no kiddy DC universe crap (sorry supergirl you know i watch you).

In eu we can watch it with amazon prime

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rad Valtar posted:

By the end of the first season I was pretty fed up by it - it really takes its time to actually tell you what happened and in the end it doesn't quite feel like it justified the time spent dragging it out. The series felt like it told its story in S1, but in literally the last few moments they shoehorn in some ridiculous dun-Dun-DUN cliffhanger issues for S2 to deal with. I'd say S1 was "OK" (there are some very good moments) but I have no inclination to ever revisit it or watch S2.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I agree with the sentiment that Season 1 of Bloodline was fantastic, and that the last scene twist, and continuing the show afterward is unnecessary. That being said, I did end up begrudgingly watching the second season (I got the hots for Linda Cardellini okay??) and ended up enjoying it as well, and I'll be watching season three when it drops.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Reminds me at Season 07 The Walking Dead.
After the first Episode I was so excited to se the rest but every​ single episode after the first was horrible bad. Just a waiting and collecting of helpful members and things​.
Than in the last Episode It becomes great again and in the middle of action the show is gone to the season final.
wtf
14 Episodes wasted time

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Seriously. I tapped out after the first three episodes, and then gave it another chance when half the Internet was screaming that because of the Winter Soldier tie-in, the show had gotten genuinely good.

Those people are god damned liars.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
But Agent Carter was realy good. Sad that the show is canceld.

For me is agents of shild much more watchebal as the most DC shows specialy Legends of Tomorrow is horrible bad. Only Flash and the first 3 Seasons of Arrow are nice to wach.
Supergirl is only nice to se if you like the work of the actress and the episodes with flash are realy good.

If you grow up with the comics It's horror what they did with the adabtion.
Marvel did a much better job.
Alone that all in the same universe plays, is worth gold.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Legends of Tomorrow S1 is brought down by a dull overarching story, but for season 2 they embraced being a show about a bunch of idiots getting crazy through history, focusing on the charms of its cast.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Legends of Tomorrow S1 is brought down by a dull overarching story, but for season 2 they embraced being a show about a bunch of idiots getting crazy through history, focusing on the charms of its cast.

Agree

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Comic book media is all loving terrible garbage

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I'll disagree with the Bloodline assessments so far. I love the casting of the family and thought season 2 was great and fun, looking forward to season 3 (which will be the end). Uniformly great acting by the inner circle.

Has that strong Breaking Bad feeling in terms of good people doing bad stuff for the "right" reasons. And the way that subsequently unravels. I also love the Florida setting.

I also love Fargo, the Leftovers and Better Call Saul, so maybe I just like shows about families falling apart.

I guess it's a slow burn? But it's only 13 episodes a season and is very bingeable.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mostly I'm sick to death of the Marvel IP and its weak rear end nobody dies PG-13 punch pulling

Comic book adaptations can be good tho, just look at Dredd 2012, which is objectively the greatest movie of all time

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Mostly I'm sick to death of the Marvel IP and its weak rear end nobody dies PG-13 punch pulling

Comic book adaptations can be good tho, just look at Dredd 2012, which is objectively the greatest movie of all time

Well, there's always Logan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MacheteZombie posted:

:agreed: and ironically, TVIV wisdom is that Agents of SHIELD is good and Got Ham is bad :confused:

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Well, there's always Logan.

absolutely right. Logan is a perfect movie for me. The acting is great same as the story. And Patrick Stewart is epic.

An must seen movie. But It's a movie not a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

I will never be able to forgive it for being the reason there was no Netflix season 2 of terriers.