Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

That incredibly satisfying feeling when you get Sun confidant high enough and then every battle is like

CHING
"Not bad!"
CHING
"Not bad!"
CHING
"Not bad!"

And then money is never a problem again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

More like

"Gimme some money"
"Oh poo poo you know No Good Tora, here's less money than the fight would have given you anyway, peace out"
[results screen]

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

That incredibly satisfying feeling when you get Sun confidant high enough and then every battle is like

CHING
"Not bad!"
CHING
"Not bad!"
CHING
"Not bad!"

And then money is never a problem again.

Run down of my first time doing that.

"I got 5000 yen! Wow!"

"What do you mean, 'that isn't enough'"

"Oh...oh my god. This changes everything"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tora's extortion methods are nice, but wait til you try the Mementos confusion trick.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Official Persona 5 guide

1. Don't be a narc
2. gently caress the man (corollary: we hate the cops)
3. Date whoever (corollary: you are a dad. also, date nobody if that's what you want)
4. Pancakes

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 12, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ChaosArgate posted:

Tora's extortion methods are nice, but wait til you try the Mementos confusion trick.

I went into mementos with 250k, and came out with 2 mil.

You are a slave to money, want emancipation?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Having Victory Cry + Omnipotent Orb and no longer having to build around Persona weaknesses opens things up for some ridiculous stuff. I wish there was some kind of post-endgame super dungeon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LuiCypher posted:

Official Persona 5 guide

1. Don't be a narc
3. Date whoever (hell, date nobody if that's what you want)
4. Pancakes

Minor change; Date one person. Unlike the earlier games, cheating will get you caught guaranteed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

Official Persona 5 guide

1. Don't be a narc
3. Date whoever (hell, date nobody if that's what you want)
4. Pancakes

This is missing the most important step.

You are a dad

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Minor change; Date one person. Unlike the earlier games, cheating will get you caught guaranteed.

Nah, date as many as you want. The punishment is negligible (next to non-existent, you lose out on a heal item) and is rewarding in its own

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is missing the most important step.

You are a dad

That falls under part 3 - Date whoever you want (remember: you are a dad); also, date nobody if you want.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

That falls under part 3 - Date whoever you want (remember: you are a dad); also, date nobody if you want.

Good, as long as it's there.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
How's this Mementos confusion trick work anyways? Is there a particular set of enemies to confuse, or must have abilities?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

How's this Mementos confusion trick work anyways? Is there a particular set of enemies to confuse, or must have abilities?

Tentarafoo on eligible bosses. Not all request bosses allow it.

I'll leave this list as a URL because the request names could be constituted as a spoiler by some
http://i.imgur.com/NKtDEz2.png

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

SpazmasterX posted:

Some Mementos bosses aren't immune to confusion (there's a list out there somewhere). Make a persona with pulinpa and confuse boost or ailment boost, and ideally invigorate 2 or 3 so you can wear the +10 luck accessory because the amount of money they throw at you is based partly on luck. Sit there confusing it forever and watch the yen roll in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tentarafoo on eligible bosses. Not all request bosses allow it.

I'll leave this list as a URL because the request names could be constituted as a spoiler by some
http://i.imgur.com/NKtDEz2.png

I'd recommend Pulinpa, instead. Higher base chance, lower SP cost, and you're probably not doing this on multi-target bosses.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Real life Hifumi Togo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mohXgVorOBk

Also, a little history of how Persona 5 events relate to real Japan: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-05-12/the-real-japan-behind-persona-5/.116021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

confuse a miniboss in mementos

grats you did it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'd recommend Pulinpa, instead. Higher base chance, lower SP cost, and you're probably not doing this on multi-target bosses.

Yeah I guess.

In real terms, you'll probably get fed up of it and say gently caress it in short order anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it's really boring. I did it for a good couple hours one morning though with a late-game Mementos boss and came close to maxing out my money, though, so it was probably worth it. Just muted the TV and watched YouTube while I guarded/used Pulinpa every couple turns and occasionally got annoyed when the enemy kept throwing me Physical Ointments I didn't need.

Still, that enabled me to fuse some monster Personas without going broke so :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's not like you need to hit the money cap. Just a couple million is enough to live off for the entire game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

Ormoraki gets Pulinpa base and Confuse Boost at 15. Take that and fuse it into whatever high luck Persona you want. Preferably give them a healing spell as well.

Go into battle Joker only. Confuse. Guard. Guard. Confuse. Guard. Guard. Heal when necessary.

Congrats you win.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

it's not like you need to hit the money cap. Just a couple million is enough to live off for the entire game.

And a good chunk of that million is going to naturally come to you through gameplay too, worth noting. The trick is far from the only way to make some money.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks for this. I definitely got a "based on a true story" vibe from some of the story but couldn't figure out much more

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thanks for this. I definitely got a "based on a true story" vibe from some of the story but couldn't figure out much more

This is why it ha such appeal in the west. It tackles genuine social issues with a middle spectrum attitude

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man I just finished this game after 90 hours.

The ending is so sweet and I cannot contain all my feelings. :(

Makoto best waifu.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Ibblebibble posted:

Makoto best waifu.

Say it loud, say it proud, friend.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Out of curiosity, how far along am I if I just rescued Futaba? Looking at my save file I just realized I am thirty hours into this game.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Maybe somewhere from almost half to a bit past half? You have a large amount of game to go for sure, I feel like after that Palace is where I fully started to feel "free" and was having tons of decisions on who to hang out with etc. You have a fairly long amount of time after getting her while she sleeps so I recommend working on some of your stats since many of the Confidants will soon require level 4 in some of them depending on where you are at. I think Futaba requires Kindness level 2 in order to even start, make sure you start feeding your plant if you haven't been.

I remember myself being at like 50ish hours and saying "there is no way this game has 25 more hours in it" and I ended up at 85, there is much more to come.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Scorps posted:

Maybe somewhere from almost half to a bit past half? You have a large amount of game to go for sure, I feel like after that Palace is where I fully started to feel "free" and was having tons of decisions on who to hang out with etc. You have a fairly long amount of time after getting her while she sleeps so I recommend working on some of your stats since many of the Confidants will soon require level 4 in some of them depending on where you are at. I think Futaba requires Kindness level 2 in order to even start, make sure you start feeding your plant if you haven't been.

I remember myself being at like 50ish hours and saying "there is no way this game has 25 more hours in it" and I ended up at 85, there is much more to come.

:catstare: I'm going to die here

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
No way, it's so worth it trust me. The long build up pays off for sure in multiple aspects. The 5th palace can kind of drag a bit but aside from that most of the rest of the game is just ramping more and more up in intensity. If you've gotten this far and enjoying the formula you will like the rest of the game IMO. This is coming from someone who never watched any anime in my life, never played any SMT let alone Persona game, and someone who had never played a game that was so long. It was totally worth it, in fact I'm almost to where you are again in NG+.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I regret not ranking her SL in my 1st PT because of time constraints and Shogi does look interesting as it reminds me of my 1st hobby chess.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

What's even better is that the director of Persona 5, Katsura Hashino, is the episode just before that one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I left my console on a bit but I ended Persona 5 with like 135 hours so idk how yall do in like 70 what the gently caress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

About 105 hours here, with all confidants maxed and dungeons done in the minimum number of days. I spent plenty of time just screwing around in Tokyo and fusing stuff probably.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I left my console on a bit but I ended Persona 5 with like 135 hours so idk how yall do in like 70 what the gently caress

I played on Easy because I got tired of mobs 1-KOing Joker. I cleared with 77 hours and I'd spend 2-3 days running palaces. I mostly skipped the final levels of mementos until the end. Also, Mona who told me to go to bed helped since he encouraged me to sleep irl.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I have to say I kinda miss social link characters approaching you at school during lunchtime. I know the IMs kind of take the place of that, but I just loved the mental image of like five people lining up at the stairs to ask Yu out in Persona 4.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm sure a thousand people have already said this, but given that the framing device is recounting your entire, day by day experiences to Sae, it gives me no end of hilarity seeing the protag describe in detail his heartfelt quest to nail her sister.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Goodguy3 posted:

I have to say I kinda miss social link characters approaching you at school during lunchtime. I know the IMs kind of take the place of that, but I just loved the mental image of like five people lining up at the stairs to ask Yu out in Persona 4.

It's interesting that 5 swerves so heavily away from school social links compared to the previous games. No sport clubs, no culture clubs, no random weirdo student friends; even Mishima doesn't feel like a school social link since you basically never interact with him there. I think it works out really well; for me the confidants in 5 feel way more diverse than 3/4s, even though a lot of them follow very similar arcs to each other. And of course it reinforces the narrative that the MC is isolated at school.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

It's interesting that 5 swerves so heavily away from school social links compared to the previous games. No sport clubs, no culture clubs, no random weirdo student friends; even Mishima doesn't feel like a school social link since you basically never interact with him there. I think it works out really well; for me the confidants in 5 feel way more diverse than 3/4s, even though a lot of them follow very similar arcs to each other. And of course it reinforces the narrative that the MC is isolated at school.

It also works well because it feels like you are (relatively) organically meeting these people. There isn't any "Welcome to theater club! Help me repair my relationship with my father!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Moltrey posted:

I did it in about 80. Ended with about four Confidants un-maxed (all were Night time and two were literally one visit away from maxing). I missed out on quite a bit of incidental chatter around town and didn't get any of the video game/book/fishing/batting cage trophies, so next game is going to be a low slower.