Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Namor also ran a movie studio so I need to go back and find out if it was the same one or if they were in some kind of surface proxy war through box office receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite part of the "Namor buys a movie studio to make a Fantastic Four movie" (he bought it using treasure from a sunken Spanish galleon) story isn't even the "Namor buys a movie studio" part; the highlight for me is Reed Richards, the smartest man in the world, losing all the Fantastic Four's money because he made bad investments on the stock market.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ha ha wtf? this minor namor villain at one point ran a movie studio, but the bibliography just talks about things other than his movie studio.

I'm sure this is when Namor was the CEO of a major company for some reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite part of the "Namor buys a movie studio to make a Fantastic Four movie" (he bought it using treasure from a sunken Spanish galleon) story isn't even the "Namor buys a movie studio" part; the highlight for me is Reed Richards, the smartest man in the world, losing all the Fantastic Four's money because he made bad investments on the stock market.

It's not like the stock market behaves rationally. I bet even Mad Thinker routinely gets owned by its fluctuations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I could see Doom making a killing off stocks. It'd be a small part of a much more elaborate plan though, otherwise he wouldn't bother with something so trivially simple. :doom:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ghostlight posted:

It's Latin for "to see".

I will never get tired of hamfisted introduction panels.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I just love the idea that Skull-Face himself has no idea if he's actually the skeleton of a demon or not, so he goes around describing himself as the skeleton of an alleged demon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I just noticed that they give Skull-Face's origin as Mystic #6 when he's actually from Mystery Tales #6. I'll give him that he's trying to dress the part, but I think "casual skeleton" is a little more spooky.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nilbop posted:

I just love the idea that Skull-Face himself has no idea if he's actually the skeleton of a demon or not, so he goes around describing himself as the skeleton of an alleged demon.

So like...skeletons are separate beings? That have no awareness of what kind of being they were inside of? Whoa man.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Nilbop posted:

I read it more as "It was alleged that I was a demon, which is why I was burned, but the allegations were false and I was in fact human. My living skeleton powers are unrelated.".
Although either explanation is hilariously goofy.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
There really needs to be more media with casually dressed skeletons. They can't all just be either robed or exhibitionists!

I'm hard pressed to figure out what the mystery of Skull-Face is, though. Is it the fact that they've got their own movie?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The real mystery is why his movie poster features him rolling up his sleeve in preparation for delivering an rear end whipping.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 58: Skeletor Mister Fear

I thought this was Skeletor from He-Man. I guess it's not though. It's a different blue and purple guy with a skeleton face.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It took four Mr Fears until one of them realised he could use pheromones to rape people instead of just making them anxious.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ghostlight posted:

It took four Mr Fears until one of them realised he could use pheromones to rape people instead of just making them anxious.

What I think you mean is it took four Mr. Fears until some author was tasteless enough to do that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

What I think you mean is it took four Mr. Fears until some author was tasteless enough to do that.

What he did to Matt's wife was fucken cold.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Weird that he would go on to write Frank Miller's Robocop.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I knew Axe body spray was an evil plot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

What he did to Matt's wife was fucken cold.

Mr. Fear's master plan was one of the most hosed-up, twisted, hopelessness-inducing things I've ever read in a mainstream superhero comic. Leave it to Brubaker to really twist the knife into Daredevil AND the readers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Fear II would later go on to become the campy and sort of bugfuck insane Machinesmith, who's one of my favorite obscuros.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was younger, I had this reference book called 500 Comic Book Villains by a British comics historian called Mike Conroy (he also wrote one called 500 Comic Book Heroes, which I didn't read, and co-wrote one with his wife called 500 Manga Heroes and Villains, which I did read but recall not being as good).

It had short entries on most characters then these big double-page spreads for the likes of Doctor Octopus, Kingpin, the Violator from Spawn, the Dark Judges from 2000 AD and for some reason the Coda from WildC.A.T.S. (the biggest ones, like Dr Doom, Magneto, Luthor and the Joker, got four-page write-ups).

Starr Saxon was one of those double-page spreads. I cannot imagine why such a minor character would get that much written about him.

Still, that's how I know about some real weirdos, like Shrunken Bones, the Headmen, the Dung, the Forgotten Villains and Lord Weird Slough Feg.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Pastry of the Year posted:

Mr. Fear II would later go on to become the campy and sort of bugfuck insane Machinesmith, who's one of my favorite obscuros.

I'd never seen him before til the recent Ant-Man, and immediately read him with the voice/personality of Jim Rash as Dean Pelton. Only makes it weirder now that I've just read his backstory. Remember all that horrible poo poo the Dean did to Daredevil? And they said the crossover with Community would never work.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Other distinguishing features: Hank Hill rear end

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

I'd never seen him before til the recent Ant-Man, and immediately read him with the voice/personality of Jim Rash as Dean Pelton. Only makes it weirder now that I've just read his backstory. Remember all that horrible poo poo the Dean did to Daredevil? And they said the crossover with Community would never work.

If you want to read his backstory in his own words, check out Captain America #368:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Mr. Fear III, Larry Cranston, was the one who ruined Daredevil's life. II became Machinesmith.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

If you want to read his backstory in his own words, check out Captain America #368:

You know, looking at that, a thought occurred to me of 'how the heck was this person not a character in Avengers A.I.?'

The answer is that Avengers A.I. was ultimately a series cut short just as it got good, of course

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

poo poo's getting weirder than usual at the Venture compound.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cabbit posted:

poo poo's getting weirder than usual at the Venture compound.

oh my god, Machinesmith as the perpetually aggrieved Paul Lynde-ish patriarch to a household full of B-through-D-list robots

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's been a while, but I'm back. So let's kick it off with a relevant character to things that are happening right now!

Day 59: Mantis

Oh boy. What to say about Mantis. Mantis has the unfortunate pleasure of being a pet character to a writer, Steve Englehart, that literally could not let the character go. So much that he took the character to two other companies with him. Every story with Mantis by Englehart had to revolve about how great Mantis was. It was pretty over the top and really soured people on the character for a long time. She was rehabilitated during the Abnett and Lanning cosmic run so much that she's a part of the successful Guardians film franchise now though. One almost wonders what Englehart thinks of this.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

X-O posted:

It's been a while, but I'm back. So let's kick it off with a relevant character to things that are happening right now!

Day 59: Mantis

Oh boy. What to say about Mantis. Mantis has the unfortunate pleasure of being a pet character to a writer, Steve Englehart, that literally could not let the character go. So much that he took the character to two other companies with him. Every story with Mantis by Englehart had to revolve about how great Mantis was. It was pretty over the top and really soured people on the character for a long time. She was rehabilitated during the Abnett and Lanning cosmic run so much that she's a part of the successful Guardians film franchise now though. One almost wonders what Englehart thinks of this.

This spurred me to do some reading and I learned that (a) Mantis' story is far more bonkers than I remembered and (b) there is an actual Celestial called the Celestial Madonna who, as far as I can tell, has absolutely no connection to Mantis and her status as the Celstial Madonna. I also learned that, for years, I'd been falsely thinking there was some connection between her, the Nexus of all Realities and Polaris' deal as a "nexus" during Muir Island.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Note that she was married to a plant inhabiting a corpse.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
THIS ONE was/is literally the only person who was an Avengers from 1963-2000 or whatever that I can't defend as actually an interesting/potentially interesting character.

In addition to a weird rewriting of history where secretly every successful film/TV show/anything is basically created by him, Steve Englehart's project-by-project history of how for SOME REASON editors kept complaining when he tried to turn the Avengers, Defenders, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, JUSTICE LEAGUE, etc. books into Mantis-starring projects is pretty entertaining.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

THIS ONE was/is literally the only person who was an Avengers from 1963-2000 or whatever that I can't defend as actually an interesting/potentially interesting character.

In addition to a weird rewriting of history where secretly every successful film/TV show/anything is basically created by him, Steve Englehart's project-by-project history of how for SOME REASON editors kept complaining when he tried to turn the Avengers, Defenders, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, JUSTICE LEAGUE, etc. books into Mantis-starring projects is pretty entertaining.

He's also made some very grody statements about how/why he wanted to treat Mantis' sexuality in her initial Avengers appearances.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only interesting thing Mantis ever did before being in Guardians was be part of Swordsman's character arc. And she wasn't even a good part of it.

I don't know what it is with Steve Englehart and completely unlikeable psychic women.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think she was on a post-Annihilation, pre-GotG team with Starlord. It wasn't awful, I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i seem to recall that no one liked her

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

I think she was on a post-Annihilation, pre-GotG team with Starlord. It wasn't awful, I guess.

She was great in that. But she's basically an entirely different character at that point.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i seem to recall that no one liked her

She kept trying to gently caress Vision and he kept telling her to gently caress off.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Endless Mike posted:

It's me, I'm Marvel Boy.

I enjoyed how Marvel Boy's multiple origins/appearances got streamlined and explained in Agents of Atlas, where that character is The Uranian/Bob now (idc what current Marvel is doing, Atlas will always be an active team to me dammit).

Any entries on characters like Gorilla Man or the Human Robot in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

The only interesting thing Mantis ever did before being in Guardians was be part of Swordsman's character arc. And she wasn't even a good part of it.

I don't know what it is with Steve Englehart and completely unlikeable psychic women.

Or how obsessed he was with her and wrote her in everything. She was also the greatest and best, and all the stories focused on her. She was the fucken worst.

• Locked thread