Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

Current gen steroids are more healthier (like they're not good for you but the weight cuts are probably causing more long term damage) and in general it's kind of just the price you pay. Like a successful MMA career is going to give you two bum knees, a bad back, and possible CTE so idk why we all act horrified by adding semi-functional balls and a bowling ball head to that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

There is no argument against "PED"s that makes any sense. If you're an athlete, ideally, everything that you put into your body is a PED, and to differentiate between a banana and a steroid is retarded. Yes, even if your job is to concuss your opponent

I don't believe prolonged banana consumption shrinks your testicals or makes your heart explode.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There is no argument against "PED"s that makes any sense. If you're an athlete, ideally, everything that you put into your body is a PED, and to differentiate between a banana and a steroid is retarded. Yes, even if your job is to concuss your opponent

I can dig it. They should be allowed to take whatever the general public can legally take. It was always weird to me to see Hunt in the cage with his team after a fight and his random roided sparring partner makes him look puny.

It's also not cool that in 6 months juicy retired Vitor will be like 10x the fighter as current pro fighter Vitor.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Its funny to me that the sport of riding a bicycle has had some of the highest profile steroid controversies in a long time, considering the only valid argument against it would be in a sport where you can accidentally kill your opponent, which is still stupid

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

some pro cyclists from the 70s and 80s died from cancer which was found to be a probable result of epo abuse, and there was a famous case of a guy in the 60s called Tom Simpson who keeled over and died mid race because of a combination of competing on amphetamines and high summer heat. there are also cases of botched blood transfusions making athletes critically ill, athletes who have underwent "ozone therapy" which is dangerous and has no actual benefit etc. so to argue that theres no reason to test for peds in sport is insane. frankly there is no safe way to take banned peds that are a) controlled and must be obtained illegally b) untested and c) not administered by a health professional

yeah thats hosed up how do you measure the truly long term effects like causing cancer

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Trast posted:

I don't believe prolonged banana consumption shrinks your testicals or makes your heart explode.

bundt can you confirm/deny this??

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

frankly there is no safe way to take banned peds that are a) controlled and must be obtained illegally b) untested and c) not administered by a health professional

I agree, but A, B and C are all caused by the prohibition of steroids, not the steroids themselves. If they were allowed then those would all cease to be risk factors.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Trast posted:

However. you can drink all.the alcohol you want to

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah thats hosed up how do you measure the truly long term effects like causing cancer

dunno ... im not a scientist, its just some second hand knowledge. i imagine there was some scientific paper where a bunch of lab rats got cancer or something at some point

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

bundt can you confirm/deny this??

Ive been on bananas since I was a child

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Bananas are radioactive & each banana you eat bombards your innards with deadly gamma rays.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Skip My Posts posted:

from what i've seen personally long term steroid use can have pretty rough effects on guys health. a couple guys on my wrestling team in college that were abusing steroids went on to have severe heart issues or other weird poo poo. i don't really know poo poo about it tho so maybe there were a lot of other factors like how they were cycling or maybe they were taking bull steroids or something

Bzasically your heart can permanently change shape and can stop pumping blood around nearly as well. Here's some poo poo that 99% of you won't care about :

quote:

A recent study from a cardiovascular research group in Denmark followed the progress of 9 former athletes who all suffered from heart failure. Five of them were former athletes: an elite former boxer; a professional weightlifter; a bodybuilder; and a former pro ice hockey player. The other four patients, while not athletes, were chronic high-dose steroid users. Their ages ranged from 25 to 49. None had previously had CVD,or shown any genetic predisposition to having heart failure. The use of steroids by these men varied from two months to 15 years.
The men had experienced symptoms that ranged from 3 weeks to 3 months before entering the hospital. The primary symptoms included difficulty breathing and spitting up blood. Six of the patients had pulmonary edema (accumulation of fluid in the lungs due to failure of the heart to pump blood efficiently), while two others complained about edema or water retention in their legs, another indication of heart failure. One patient reported chest pains, but tests ruled out the presence of a heart attack. All the patients did show elevated heart rates, with one showing atrial fibrillation, an abnormal heart rhythm generated in the upper heart chambers. An EKG test of the men revealed that the left ventricular ejection fraction, a measure of the heart's pumping power, ranged from 10 to 27%. Normal values are 50 to 70%. What this means is that in some of the men their left ventricle was pumping only 10% of the normal blood volume. The men were treated in the hospital for one to seven days. Two of the patients were given left ventricular assist pumps, which kept their heart working until they had heart transplant surgery. All were discharged alive from the hospital.

After being discharged from the hospital, the patients were provided with drugs to treat their heart failure.These included ACE-inhibitors, which lower blood pressure and thus relieve heart stress; Beta-blockers, which also block excess stress on the heart; and diuretics to help prevent or reduce fluid accumulation in the lungs. None of the patients showed complete recovery of their loss of heart function, despite the treatments. Two underwent full heart transplants 14 and 18 months following initial assist-device implantation. One patient did improve his ejection fraction rate from 27 to 49%. This guy used steroids for years. But another patient, who only used the drugs for 6 months, didn't respond to treatment,and had to have a heart transplant.

Most of the other patients also showed improvements in ejection fraction, but none ever reached normal minimal levels. Again, the rate of improvement was likely related to their responses to the steroid use. Some were clearly more damaged than others.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bananas are virtually untraceable if you use peanut butter as a masking agent

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

I agree, but A, B and C are all caused by the prohibition of steroids, not the steroids themselves. If they were allowed then those would all cease to be risk factors.

untrue cos it wasnt any different before either. theres a lot of horror stories about the realities of professional sport before ped use was banned .. you cant trust people to police themselves. sport is undeniably a lot safer nowadays than it used to be

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Skip My Posts posted:

quote:

While steroids don't directly cause cancer, they do boost levels of another hormone, insulinlike growth-factor-1 (IGF-1), which is known to speed the process of mitosis, or cell division. This is significant because the core mechanism of cancer is uncontrolled cell division. So, if you have a dormant tumor somewhere in your body, it may be activated by the increased IGF-1 that occurs as a result of high dose steroid use.

So you need to have predisposition to it anyway, it just speeds it up. Which is terrifying, but synthetic hormones aren't actually 'giving you' cancer.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

.. you cant trust people to police themselves.

This is where I fundamentally disagree

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
You gotta protect these guys from harming themselves!

*cheers while Kim Winslow watches someone's brains ooze onto the canvas*

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

This is where I fundamentally disagree

Why have refs?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

You gotta protect these guys from harming themselves!

*cheers while Kim Winslow watches someone's brains ooze onto the canvas*

i would never cheer for something like that

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Two wrongs dont make a right and its easier to police whether guys inject themselves with horse steroids than whether they ate a healthy breakfast. Theres your answer for why PEDs are illegal even though fighting is already bad for you

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Bundt Cake posted:

Why have refs?

Someone has to decide when the fight is over

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Refs give a fighter a little comfort knowing if they get KO'd or their arm broken, they won't get their head stomped on until their dead. That's performance enhancing. Theres no difference between that and a banana, really. We cheer for these guys to get hurt anyway. Why not get rid of the ref and let them gget hurt? Refs can be biased - this levels the playing field

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The solution to this is to have fights in international waters.

RIP Boat Fights

RIP Dada 5000.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

let the fighter police themselves

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
He said he didnt tap. Guess He didnt

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

yeah, his name is Shao Khan

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Bundt Cake posted:

let the fighter police themselves

If steroids are legal what's the point of referees? That's your argument?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

If steroids are legal what's the point of referees? That's your argument?

I know it sounds bananas but I think the refs are a ped

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

manyak posted:

Two wrongs dont make a right and its easier to police whether guys inject themselves with horse steroids than whether they ate a healthy breakfast. Theres your answer for why PEDs are illegal even though fighting is already bad for you

There are two perceived wrongs, neither of which are actually wrong

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Why even have rules at all? Felony Fights is MMA in its purest form

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

There are two perceived wrongs, neither of which are actually wrong

every wrong is a perceived wrong ... thats how human society functions

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

chaleski posted:

Why even have rules at all? Felony Fights is MMA in its purest form

Felony fights have rules

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

every wrong is a perceived wrong ... thats how human society functions

I don't think combat or enhancing your performance are wrong

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I especially don't believe in the concept of a governing body in any form trying to "protect you from yourself"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
lol

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Well now we dont get to hear the rest of the libertarian personal responsiblity argument for 6 hours

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

me neither

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

No one's gives a poo poo

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

Well now we dont get to hear the rest of the libertarian personal responsiblity argument for 6 hours

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
sounds like rockhold wants to fight mousasi

• Locked thread