Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Uh, use the same process as in 8 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

When it asks you to choose your options, when booting from a dedicated recovery drive or the Windows 10 install USB, click Troubleshoot and then the Advanced Options. Try to use one of the options available like the command prompt, system restore, or automated boot repair - just as you would with Windows 7.

This is 100% false and frankly I don't understand how you've somehow managed to miss how to get to these options in 7, 8, and 10. Windows 7 even does it in exactly the same way as Windows Vista!

What? With XP you could boot to a CD and reinstall the OS over the top of the old install keeping everything. THAT is what he is talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

What? With XP you could boot to a CD and reinstall the OS over the top of the old install keeping everything.

Uh, no you can't. Unless you managed to luck out and not have your registry get corrupted or happened to have a recent backup of the registry files to drop in after the install, in whatever horrible thing wrecked the rest of your system files. So in 99.9% of cases where things got so hosed that reinstalling was the only option, you'd need to reinstall all your programs anyway.

You can still replace corrupted system files from known good media on all current Windows versions, this was never "taken away" . You can also just reinstall and not have your existing files deleted, but most programs are going to require a reinstall, because again, your registry was likely to have been hosed up in such situations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Uh, no you can't. Unless you managed to luck out and not have your registry get corrupted or happened to have a recent backup of the registry files to drop in after the install, in whatever horrible thing wrecked the rest of your system files. So in 99.9% of cases where things got so hosed that reinstalling was the only option, you'd need to reinstall all your programs anyway.

You can still replace corrupted system files from known good media on all current Windows versions, this was never "taken away" . You can also just reinstall and not have your existing files deleted, but most programs are going to require a reinstall, because again, your registry was likely to have been hosed up in such situations.

Fishmech. Shut up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Fishmech. Shut up.

You're spreading outright wrong information, and you really need to stop.

The XP "repair install" simply deleted all existing windows system files and reinstalled the disc versions, and created new users/registry if it was unable to recover user/registry data from the previous install, the same thing you can achieve by copying working files yourself in the current recovery tools.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 12, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cat doter posted:

There's 2 errors, both which just say "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Yeah, that's not really an error event as much as a post-error "wtf happened!?" event. Not very useful, sorry. :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:downs:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You are technically incorrect. The worst kind of incorrect.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yes, your claims sure are dumb. That's why you need to stop making them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there a free alternative for ShadowFX?

I wouldn't mind having a little extra contrast for the active window but don't really want to buy it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Ok so I have a question I cannot find an answer for anywhere. I have Win 7 and reserved the W10 upgrade when that was active. I never got any notification to upgrade, and just kept W7 because W10 had lotsa issues at start. Now I wanna do the upgrade, mostly for DX12 for games.

When I click the W10 upgrade thingie, it says my upgrade is still reserved and that I will get a notification when it's ready. I think it's been ready for a while but just hasn't triggered yet. Any way to manually start the update?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

texting my ex posted:

Ok so I have a question I cannot find an answer for anywhere. I have Win 7 and reserved the W10 upgrade when that was active. I never got any notification to upgrade, and just kept W7 because W10 had lotsa issues at start. Now I wanna do the upgrade, mostly for DX12 for games.

When I click the W10 upgrade thingie, it says my upgrade is still reserved and that I will get a notification when it's ready. I think it's been ready for a while but just hasn't triggered yet. Any way to manually start the update?

Try getting the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Agutter posted:

Yeah I know about that fishmech. System restore couldn't find any restore points, automated boot repair was unable to repair, and running sfc and chkdsk from the command prompt didn't do anything. It was unrecoverable. I ended up doing a reinstall. It wasn't too much trouble to get everything back in place but this same thing happened with anniversary update and I'm mad, mad at Microsoft

The same thing happened to me. Went through all of the oh-poo poo procedures, nothing worked, and I ended up having to reinstall. I'm going to image my Windows partition before I let that update try to run again.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just got a popup for some new junk Microsoft wants to install on my computer, it said it's already downloading in the background or something. I don't want to go through uninstalling garbage for the millionth time so I enabled deferred updates. Is this going to prevent the new thing from installing or does it only apply to everything in the future? If it doesn't apply how do I stop/reverse the process as my updates control panel doesn't show anything happening. Also when does MS stop patching Windows 7 security issues because I think I want to downgrade, this OS sucks balls and I'm tired of it

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My computer woke itself up again tonight. This time I schlepped out of bed to look and it didn't even have any notifications. Any idea why it would be unsleep modeing itself?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

d0s posted:

I just got a popup for some new junk Microsoft wants to install on my computer, it said it's already downloading in the background or something. I don't want to go through uninstalling garbage for the millionth time so I enabled deferred updates. Is this going to prevent the new thing from installing or does it only apply to everything in the future? If it doesn't apply how do I stop/reverse the process as my updates control panel doesn't show anything happening. Also when does MS stop patching Windows 7 security issues because I think I want to downgrade, this OS sucks balls and I'm tired of it

So what is it trying to download, a new app, a major OS update, security updates? 'Some new thing' is wildly unhelpful.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So what is it trying to download, a new app, a major OS update, security updates? 'Some new thing' is wildly unhelpful.

This: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/11/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-creators-update/#DGIHAVGFzcsDIIyi.97

I don't want any of this, and actually don't want any more new windows "features" at all, ever, aside from security updates

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's the latest service pack, just set a restore point and let it install. You'll get a bunch of security updates and a few feature tweaks, and you can ignore Paint 3D just the same as you would ignore old-school Paint. I'm not sure they added any new apps otherwise.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's the latest service pack, just set a restore point and let it install. You'll get a bunch of security updates and a few feature tweaks, and you can ignore Paint 3D just the same as you would ignore old-school Paint. I'm not sure they added any new apps otherwise.

So there's no way to get security updates and future security updates without it? From what I understand it reinstalls all the other crud that I have to delete every time there's a major Windows update, and I just don't want to do that anymore. I have my computer set up the way I want it, with only the programs I want on it and I don't want that to change.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

d0s posted:

So there's no way to get security updates and future security updates without it? From what I understand it reinstalls all the other crud that I have to delete every time there's a major Windows update, and I just don't want to do that anymore. I have my computer set up the way I want it, with only the programs I want on it and I don't want that to change.

It may do that one final time, one of the things they should have fixed is making the major upgrade process actually keep your settings and not reinstall bundled stuff you explicitly removed. That's been my experience with upgrading from a preview in-between Anniversary and Creators to final Creators.

If you have the Pro, Enterprise or Education edition you can enable "defer feature upgrades" to hold it back for at least one cycle, but after the next upgrade comes out there's a good chance you'll be locked out of security updates if you don't upgrade.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

Time to load Linux.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

d0s posted:

For the record, I did not have to get rid of Candycrush-solotaire-publisher following the Creators Update.

I also stripped a lot of that stuff out with shell commands, so maybe that's why.

Check it out.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Honestly I just checked and Windows 7 gets security updates until 2020, I'm not a big PC gamer and don't really need anything else Win10 brings to the table so I'll probably just downgrade when I have some time. This OS has rubbed me wrong from day one and all these little frustrations add up, there's not a single thing I can point to in it and say "yeah this is worth all the weirdness". I just think they've gone in a really strange direction and I don't want to devote any more portions of my brain to "ways to make windows 10 suck less"

redeyes posted:

Time to load Linux.

I've been using linux(etc) on personal and work servers for like 15 years but it's a poo poo desktop experience, we'll see where it is in 2020 :v:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

I've been using linux(etc) on personal and work servers for like 15 years but it's a poo poo desktop experience, we'll see where it is in 2020 :v:

Loading a 8 year old OS isn't really great idea. I think linux is going to get more popular the more MS fucks up 10. And then we all get to pay a yearly subscription at some point in the next 10 years.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

redeyes posted:

Loading a 8 year old OS isn't really great idea.

I agree and wouldn't go out of my way to tell other people to do so, I used to be one of the guys who would sperg out on people still holding onto XP or 2K or whatever 10 years after the fact. For me it just comes down to "is this going to be less annoying than windows 10" and if it's not than I'll definitely go back, but I'm pretty confident that it'll be fine for my use as long as it keeps getting patched. I don't use any tools that couldn't be used on even something like XP, aside from Firefox and I think that will support Win 7 for a while still

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

I agree and wouldn't go out of my way to tell other people to do so, I used to be one of the guys who would sperg out on people still holding onto XP or 2K or whatever 10 years after the fact. For me it just comes down to "is this going to be less annoying than windows 10" and if it's not than I'll definitely go back, but I'm pretty confident that it'll be fine for my use as long as it keeps getting patched. I don't use any tools that couldn't be used on even something like XP, aside from Firefox and I think that will support Win 7 for a while still

The main problem with 7 is it doesn't support SSDs properly with TRIM and such. There are also edge scenereos that it does badly with compared to 10. Mostly having 100+ windows open on multiple monitors. 7 does really badly due to WDDM 1.0.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

redeyes posted:

The main problem with 7 is it doesn't support SSDs properly with TRIM and such. There are also edge scenereos that it does badly with compared to 10. Mostly having 100+ windows open on multiple monitors. 7 does really badly due to WDDM 1.0.

Isn't it just a matter of turning on TRIM? I mean I ran a SSD with Win 7 for a long time before 10 and had no problems (aside from the failure of that one Samsung model that was known bad). I don't use multiple monitors and don't really have more than 15 windows open at a time so I don't think the second case affects me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

Isn't it just a matter of turning on TRIM? I mean I ran a SSD with Win 7 for a long time before 10 and had no problems (aside from the failure of that one Samsung model that was known bad). I don't use multiple monitors and don't really have more than 15 windows open at a time so I don't think the second case affects me.

I've never seen evidence that trim actually works in 7. I assume that is why Samsung and Intel SSDs come with a toolkit that does trim when you schedule.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

redeyes posted:

having 100+ windows open on multiple monitors.

who hurt you

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

d0s posted:

Isn't it just a matter of turning on TRIM? I mean I ran a SSD with Win 7 for a long time before 10 and had no problems
Yes. Occasionally, with cloned drives, it might not detect it has gone from a hdd to an ssd. In that case, forcing a recalculation of the perfomance index is recommended. Otherwise, Windows 7 fully supports SSDs.

e: I guess I should say SATA SSDs; newer interfaces require a particular update to be installed

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 12, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I deal with some really interesting people.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

The main problem with 7 is it doesn't support SSDs properly with TRIM and such.

This is absolutely false. Windows 7 supports SSDs fully, with TRIM and all of that. It is only Vista and older that do not support TRIM and other SSD things out of the box.

Why do you keep posting false information about Windows? The closest thing to what you claim is that if you swap in an SSD to an existing Windows 7 install on a platter drive, it may not enable SSD optimizations automatically, and certain older SSDs will not be properly detected.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 12, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah windows 7 supports trim. The only case I can think of where trim wouldn't automatically enable itself is if you clone an install on a hard-drive to a ssd and windows 7 doesn't notice the change for some reason.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

The main problem with 7 is it doesn't support SSDs properly with TRIM and such.

Nope, Windows 7 was the first Windows version that absolutely DOES support TRIM.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

d0s posted:

This: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/11/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-creators-update/#DGIHAVGFzcsDIIyi.97

I don't want any of this, and actually don't want any more new windows "features" at all, ever, aside from security updates

Microsoft posted:

We believe that everyone is a creator at heart and that creativity is an essential human trait.

What the gently caress does that even mean?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Nope, Windows 7 was the first Windows version that absolutely DOES support TRIM.

Then why does Intel and Samsung include a trim utility that you can schedule. The same utilities wont do the trim on Windows 8 and 10 because they claim Windows already does it.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 12, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Then why does Intel and Samsung include a trim utility that you can schedule.

Because manufacturers ship pointless extra software all the time. Duh.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Gynovore posted:

The sort of weird PR groupthink that you can always find when companies make massive campuses and insulate themselves from their customers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gynovore posted:

That's pretty straightforward though?

Deep read: it means Microsoft's pivoted hard toward maker culture. I would have just changed it so Windows is numbered by years again (it sort of is, but in that gross Ubuntu way), but that isn't in line with their design philosophy these days.

Doesn't change the actual software much though.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 12, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

d0s posted:

Then pirate LTSB (do not actually pirate your OS, because seriously) or

redeyes posted:

Time to load Linux.

That's the only version of Windows that works that way.

Are you thinking of getting new hardware for Windows 7?

nielsm posted:

If you have the Pro, Enterprise or Education edition you can enable "defer feature upgrades" to hold it back for at least one cycle, but after the next upgrade comes out there's a good chance you'll be locked out of security updates if you don't upgrade.

Huh, I thought if you do that it just updates you to the one-version-back the way Current Branch for Business does when the production line gets there.

Also if you stay on the old versions by force too long, at least without LTSB, they actually will drop support for you - they did this for 1507 (10.0.10240, AKA OG Windows 10).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Microsoft trying to shed their "PC guy" image I think

e: is it weird that I liked Microsoft a lot better when they were totally square and almost proud of it, the above image really sums up how windows 8/10 makes me feel about the company

e2:

dont be mean to me posted:

Are you thinking of getting new hardware for Windows 7?

No I just built my current PC a few months ago and don't think I'll be upgrading for many years

d0s fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 12, 2017