Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I remember the banshee boob plate is on purpose because of the ceremonial importance of the howling banshee, there is supposedly dudes we wearing that boob plate.
I think SoB are similar, also power armor is supposed to have a force field anyway I'm pretty sure.

Not good reasons. But the banshee thing is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hremsfeld posted:

Yeah, yeah, boobplate is dumb, but that doesn't make her work any less drat impressive.

I agree. Remove the boobplate or keep the costume accurate, either way it's a drat good piece of work.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Samovar posted:

Tbh, the boobplate is on the models as well, and just as silly.

Exactly. She made a very good costume based on something that has some of the wonkier made-in-the-'80s elements.

As to Howling Banshees* vs. SoB, eldar tend to use a lot of force fields and have the philosophy of "you don't need armor if you don't get hit" so the fact that boobplate is a bullet trap isn't as big of a deal - the Imperium on the other hand has armor for days** and should know better, even after losing so much of its knowledge base. Some people in the Imperium have force fields instead / as well, but it's much rarer; A Cannoness might, but just a Sister? Not likely.

* Turns out they're an all-female Aspect. I thought there were guys in it, too, but nope, that was just space-elf androgyny at work.

** Unless you're a random trooper, in which case you get this flak vest, now go fix bayonets and charge that Lictor, or else :commissar:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Banshee thing probably changed over editions. The tone of the fiction has really changed over the decades.
The very first sister of battle art in rogue trader is even more ridiculous. The plate boobs have long spike nipples and she has a habit

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Trying to justify something like boobplate with in-setting reasoning misses the point so wildly that I'm not sure where to start.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok that one cracked me up. ++good

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It's Warhammer 40k, so the real crime is that the boobplate doesn't have skulls covering them.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Cheers for the old Batman and fingat jokes last page. I needed that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Edward Elric and Winry Rockbell (Full Metal Alchemist)

Minato Namikaze (Naruto)

"6" (Little Nightmare)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

So I got a question for cosplayers; what do you do with all these extravagant costumes when you're done with them? I'm assuming most people don't have space to just store a bunch of crazy costumes they make over the years so you'd have to get rid of them at some point. Do you just recycle them for other projects, or is there a market for second-hand cosplay?

You have to eat them, it's the Cosplay Code

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I remember the banshee boob plate is on purpose because of the ceremonial importance of the howling banshee, there is supposedly dudes we wearing that boob plate.
I think SoB are similar, also power armor is supposed to have a force field anyway I'm pretty sure.

Not good reasons. But the banshee thing is funny

The Sister of Battle were actually based on a loophole. I forget the whole story but the Ecclesiarchy was specifically said "not to have a fighting force of men" or something to that effect. I forget the wording but that was the idea of it. So somebody noticed "well hey we can have all the girl soldiers we want if we rules lawyer this!" and the Sisters of Battle happened. Even though it was a ridiculous loophole that obviously violated the spirit of the rule they turned out to be so incredibly badass that the Imperium went "well OK, that's a thing we have now. Cool." Only special people get access to force fields but powered armor is extremely tough so the boob plate didn't matter much.

Plus 40K is like "hey how do we make everything as absolutely bug gently caress insane as we possibly can" so personally I'll give it a pass on doing impractical things. In the case of the Sisters though their history makes it kind of important to make it obvious to everybody that they're all women.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Sister of Battle were actually based on a loophole. I forget the whole story but the Ecclesiarchy was specifically said "not to have a fighting force of men" or something to that effect

IIRC, the ruling was that the Ecclesiarchy could not have 'any men under arms'. Even then though, temporary mobs are still allowed, which is why the Frateris Militia is still a thing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

More of a glimpse into the production of cosplay than it is cosplay, but hey, it's cool.

https://twitter.com/co04201025/status/861789519955189760

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor Who

Noctis (FFXIV)

Kasumi, Honoka and Marie Rose (Dead or Alive)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

At first I was like "Must be the companions", then I saw the scarf.

Well done.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Princess Trunks (DBZA)

Poison Ivy (Batman)

Kashima (KanColle)

Tenth Doctor (Doctor Who)

The Master (Doctor Who)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I know they sell green unitards so what the hell

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Edgey Poison Ivy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Sloober posted:

Edgey Poison Ivy
It's the New 52 Ivy

-

Steampunk Poison Ivy

D.Va (Overwatch)

Discord (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Sasori (Naruto Shippuden)

Vinylshadow has a new favorite as of 21:45 on May 12, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

That costume looks awful and the cosplay version is better

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Discord is funny. Good take.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A black unitard would also be appropriate for steampunk Ivy since all that factory smoke have blackened tree barks throughout Europe.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Vinylshadow posted:

Edward Elric and Winry Rockbell (Full Metal Alchemist)
Why didn't she just buy a wrench? :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyperlynx posted:

Convention weapon rules.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

Perhaps she did then dropped it on her foot while fooling around.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Convention weapon rules.

Oh. Well, fair enough.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Convention weapon rules.

I love uneven con rules. Last one I went to was very strict about weapons but said nothing about the rusted and semi-sharp metal all over my costume or the wooden bat wrapped in a metal chain.

All were examined and allowed past the lobby but the wooden gun belonging to the guy in front of me was deemed "too realistic".

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Inzombiac posted:

All were examined and allowed past the lobby but the wooden gun belonging to the guy in front of me was deemed "too realistic".

Was Magneto a major sponsor of the event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-JVvCrGC8

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Huzzah! posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Magneto was so pathetic back in the day.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Huzzah! posted:

"A wooden gun? Cool. The police cars are still made of metal, you idiots."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dexie posted:

"A wooden gun? Cool. The police cars are still made of metal, you idiots."

"Oh drat, outsmarted by a wooden gun. Which means I still have my powers, and yet, I'll let them arrest me out of shame."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Huzzah! posted:

That dialogue. Wow.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/tky888tky/status/857224183842914304

Some low cost cosplay that isn't Low Cost Cosplay

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's some real Low-Cost nightmare fuel right there :stare:.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Xayah (League of Legends)

Sebastian (Black Butler)

Ewok (Star Wars)

Dragon Age Inquisition

Orochimaru (Naruto)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wendy.

Wendy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Say Nothing posted:

Wendy.

Wendy.

All these Wendys and Grimaces or Ronalds?