Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We're already living in an American Nightmare!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Is a steam link basically like the streaming aspects of a PSTV but for my computer?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
It's nice that I'll be able to grab Alan Wake at a discount but licence restrictions are so dumb, reminds me of Pinball Arcade not being updated on xbox360 because their publisher went bankrupt while other formats kept getting new tables.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the musashi sequel on ps2 has a really great opening but the game itself is intensely boring

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only thing i remember about brave fencer musashi is discovering on my own that if you blocked an attack and then tapped the big sword button you'd do this giant explosion counterattack

Serf
May 5, 2011

Macarius Wrench posted:

I dont think I've ever heard another human being reference noted PSX classic Jersey Devil

It was the second game I ever got for the PS1 after Croc. I got it from my relatives, and remember it really well for some loving reason. I was also thinking of a few others like Tenchu, Jade Cocoon, The Legend of Legaia and The Legend of Dragoon. PS1 was a magical time for video games. I don't think they would hold up today, but it was this weird era where you could find some strange stuff on a demo disc or buy an unheard of game at Wal-Mart and be the only one of your friends who had it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
new llamasoft game https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/polybius/cid=UP4461-CUSA08328_00-LLAMASOFTPLB0002

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh dang I didn't realize Llamasoft were behind this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im playing xenoblade chronicles 3d and its really cool. I have problems with it though that kinda make it unfun to play

The combat seems to totally boil down to just what your level is. The same strategy can fail miserably at level 17 vs a level 18 boss, win a nailbiter at 18-18, or dominate at 19-18.
Its really artificial feeling and makes the player feel like skill isnt as important as time invested. The last game i played like this was destiny and it sucked dying in the raid at level 27 again and again while level 28 could actually hurt enemies.

Also the graphics are really rough in 3d due to the bad textures shimmering so much so i play with it off but the screen is totally full of icons and poo poo that make it really hard to see. They should have put all the moves and menus on the lower screen which is mostly wasted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Im playing xenoblade chronicles 3d and its really cool. I have problems with it though that kinda make it unfun to play

The combat seems to totally boil down to just what your level is. The same strategy can fail miserably at level 17 vs a level 18 boss, win a nailbiter at 18-18, or dominate at 19-18.
Its really artificial feeling and makes the player feel like skill isnt as important as time invested. The last game i played like this was destiny and it sucked dying in the raid at level 27 again and again while level 28 could actually hurt enemies.

Also the graphics are really rough in 3d due to the bad textures shimmering so much so i play with it off but the screen is totally full of icons and poo poo that make it really hard to see. They should have put all the moves and menus on the lower screen which is mostly wasted.

The first is unfortunately a very real problem. The level barrier is artifically huge. You can get around it with some gearing but the honest truth is that you should just go as low level as possible and if it gets too frustrating then go for a level or two.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Watching streamers play The Surge and if you thought Nioh had really bad enemy variety this game seems to only have you fight AI bots and forklifts

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The first is unfortunately a very real problem. The level barrier is artifically huge. You can get around it with some gearing but the honest truth is that you should just go as low level as possible and if it gets too frustrating then go for a level or two.

The other key trick is that Magic never misses so you can smash stuff way stronger than you running a magic based team.

Or just drop kick high level enemies off cliffs with Melia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The other key trick is that Magic never misses so you can smash stuff way stronger than you running a magic based team.

Or just drop kick high level enemies off cliffs with Melia.

Yeah, abusing Melia or Riki to wreck the poo poo of high-level stuff is half the fun.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

To get Wakka's ultimate weapon you had to do something absurd like win 3 seasons in a row and I did it because I had no life when I was 17.

Nah, it was just "reset the Blitzball stats until what you want at the end of the season is the league prize." iirc only one of Wakka's ultimate weapon components was a ten-round Season prize and everything else was the three-round Championship prize.

Cowcaster posted:

the only thing i remember about brave fencer musashi is discovering on my own that if you blocked an attack and then tapped the big sword button you'd do this giant explosion counterattack

that was samurai legend musashi. brave fencer musashi was the one with bincho points and you had a special attack where you double jump and dive at the enemy, and the game plays this weird crow sfx
:goonsay:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a little weird that the character entirely defined by Blitzball is worse at Blitzball than the main character.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Lakbay posted:

Watching streamers play The Surge and if you thought Nioh had really bad enemy variety this game seems to only have you fight AI bots and forklifts

I was cautiously optimist about this one because it kinda looks slick and unique but uhhh that's definitely a deal-breaker

kind of the reason i haven't picked up nioh tbh despite enjoying the demo

I gotta give the soulsborne games props for (mostly) not having copy paste enemies everywhere, even the "variations" all bring something interesting to the table, gameplay or lore-wise

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

that was samurai legend musashi. brave fencer musashi was the one with bincho points and you had a special attack where you double jump and dive at the enemy, and the game plays this weird crow sfx
:goonsay:

Also everyone is named after foods and drinks, which 11 year old me somehow didn't notice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lurdiak posted:

It's a little weird that the character entirely defined by Blitzball is worse at Blitzball than the main character.

Tidus' signature weapon early in development was going to be the Blitzball, but they decided at some point it was really gay for the main character of a Final Fantasy game to not have a sword so they reversed his weapon with Wakka.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I really wanted to play through Xenoblade Chronicles but I just could never get a handle on the combat at all. I kept feeling like there were all these nuanced things I should be doing but maybe it was just the level barrier that was the problem, because I'd go from effortlessly destroying enemies to getting totally owned and not really understanding what I did wrong.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

Tidus is the star player of the zamarkand abes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Wakka never seemed like he was all that serious about winning at Blitzball before Tidus showed up, more like "just happy to be here."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wakka is fine not competing because it means he can waste his days on an island and not have to ever deal with the filthy al-bhed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hell, I'd do the same so I never have to deal with the filthy al-bhed around here (Mac users).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

He retires from blitzball at like 23 years old

i guess it's a young man's game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I really wanted to play through Xenoblade Chronicles but I just could never get a handle on the combat at all. I kept feeling like there were all these nuanced things I should be doing but maybe it was just the level barrier that was the problem, because I'd go from effortlessly destroying enemies to getting totally owned and not really understanding what I did wrong.

Its one hundo percent the level scaling. All the busywork you do in battle doesnt matter as much as the number next to your name in my experience.

Oh another issue i just remembered, i hate how long the visions take and how often they happen in combat. Its really annoying to watch a 20 second precog death scene over and over, especially when you are out of team gauge to use to warn the target etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

The level barrier or Spike damage are usually the causes of that. Spike damage is super unclear.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I was hoping The Surge would be good, but the things that they do differently from souls games look like pretty big downgrades. Why put a timer on recovering your souls, that's just punishing you twice for dying

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

I was hoping The Surge would be good, but the things that they do differently from souls games look like pretty big downgrades. Why put a timer on recovering your souls, that's just punishing you twice for dying

They do it in lotf too. They're just really dumb guys

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
4 hours in Cave of Qud, just made it through Red Rock for the first time :toot:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I bought those games on a sale a long time ago but never got around to them. I guess maybe I should play them.

Edit: Steam says I've played 101 minutes of Alan Wake but I legitimately cannot remember ever installing or playing this, I don't even know what an Alan Wake is

It's a really boring game, that's what it is. I bought it on the 360 when it went on sale at some point and I tried at least 3 times to power through it and gave up every time due to sheer boredom.
I never played American Nightmare though, I think that one was supposed to be more action-oriented.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/MammonMachine/status/863141232263913472

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Horror games shouldn't be action-oriented.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not true, if only because following that rule would have deprived the world of RE4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 at bare minimum disagree with you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Actually they prove my point because they're not scary at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Actually they prove my point because they're not scary at all.

Horror can involve a lot of different things. Dead Space is far more on the realm of body horror/corruption horror and if that doesn't scare you it is fine but it doesn't make it not horror.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Its one hundo percent the level scaling. All the busywork you do in battle doesnt matter as much as the number next to your name in my experience.

ImpAtom posted:

The level barrier or Spike damage are usually the causes of that. Spike damage is super unclear.

Well, at least I can feel less bad about not really being into playing it, then. That doesn't sound all that fun, unfortunately.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

Well they also shouldn't be boring, so

ImpAtom posted:

Also Houses of the Dead 1-4.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of people when talking about horror games seem to put anything that involves tension building and release or cultivating an atmosphere where you're constantly on-edge as being "jump scare" adjacent and therefore bad, but Dead Space and RE4 both do those things well in places.

I guess a lot of the time I don't understand what exactly people want from a horror game when they say they "want it to be scary", and lament that good modern ones aren't. It's a weird thing I have with horror films, too; I like them because they have a lot of interesting imagery, or provocative and unsettling themes, but like I'm not losing sleep over the idea that witches are gonna get me or I'm gonna turn into a Cronenberg myself because I'm an adult and I understand that those things are either literally or practically impossible. So what's a "scary" horror game and why is action inherently bad for that?

Bloodborne is more actiony and mechanically empowering, in some ways, than most RPGs because you have direct control over a character who's extremely powerful and agile, but it does a lot of great thematic horror stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I think it depends on whether you want your horror to be actually fear-inducing or more of an aesthetic

• Locked thread