Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Also got any Vibroknifes? Good 2 cost melee attachment.

Deflect is good removal meta allowing. Doubt is also decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Shot in the dark time:

Anyone interested in trading their Palpatine die for Force Lightning + something else?

I've got 1 Palp and 3 fricking Force Lightnings....

Hauki
May 11, 2010

HidaO-Win posted:

Force Lightning is a great damage source, it's just expensive as all hell, you'll be leaning heavily on Holocron to get it out. Could well make Mediate a workhorse for you, letting you swap out a blank die for a holocron special. Dark Presence is also worth a look, you've a fair amount of discard on your characters, its pretty brutal dice control and its free.

Huh, what would you cut for presence? Or lightning for that matter? For now I dropped use the force for deflect and the lightsabres for lure of power. Apparently whatever I showed up for is a Swiss tourney with a buy in so we'll see how this does I guess.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Just remember if you are running Palpatine you are running Rise Again, which is another way of getting Force Lightning out. Not just for Holocrons anymore.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KO Derf posted:

Just remember if you are running Palpatine you are running Rise Again, which is another way of getting Force Lightning out. Not just for Holocrons anymore.

I didn't run palp just because I was missing like all the blue events from awakenings. I'm 3-0 with ekylo/eanakin though, in before I jinx myself here. Last round was vs Poe/maz which I was definitely scared of, but I downed maz early and rolled out hard on Poe the next round before he could drop Vader. Deflect did some work there for sure.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hauki posted:

I didn't run palp just because I was missing like all the blue events from awakenings. I'm 3-0 with ekylo/eanakin though, in before I jinx myself here. Last round was vs Poe/maz which I was definitely scared of, but I downed maz early and rolled out hard on Poe the next round before he could drop Vader. Deflect did some work there for sure.

Ended up going 3-1 for 2nd place. Lost to eLuke/Rey, he had a great hand and I couldn't keep up with the chain of free actions from cyling 2 holdout blasters, 2 vibroknives & a force speed on Rey. Didn't help that I rolled like 66% blanks over the course of the game.

Picked up some new stuff in trades, so hopefully I can fix a couple things about my list. Narrowly won the mirror earlier in the night with my one of rise again & decisive blow.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Hauki posted:

Ended up going 3-1 for 2nd place. Lost to eLuke/Rey, he had a great hand and I couldn't keep up with the chain of free actions from cyling 2 holdout blasters, 2 vibroknives & a force speed on Rey. Didn't help that I rolled like 66% blanks over the course of the game.

Picked up some new stuff in trades, so hopefully I can fix a couple things about my list. Narrowly won the mirror earlier in the night with my one of rise again & decisive blow.

Congrats on coming second, what worked and what didn't in the list?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

HidaO-Win posted:

Congrats on coming second, what worked and what didn't in the list?

Let's see. I got a lot of mileage out of the manipulate/meditate/anger package in one game, but in the others I either needed to pitch it for rerolls or it just felt like wasted actions. High grounds were really bad for me because somehow I almost never claimed. My battlefield was likewise not doing me much good there.

I think that's something I need to work on in general, but games three and four my opponent just blew through like four actions to my every one and there was no way it made sense for me to claim at the time. Game two was the mirror, and while it hurt me to not claim in a couple spots I did get some key claims that definitely helped me get that decisive blow in at the end. Game one it didn't much matter, I think I took 5-6 damage total by the time I'd chewed through.

So as a quick summary, round 1 was eAnakin/eGrievous, I dropped grievous by turn two, got some key dice removal and a force illusion to soak a huge roll in early and it was over from there.

Round two was the mirror, but he had more damage and better events than me. I got lucky with special rolls, held out for a turn on force illusion and then traded our vaders into each other off the special, thinking that my Kylo was in a much better spot. It got way closer than I anticipated from there as he kept hitting for 3 off Kylo specials while I was rolling blanks, but the rise again put me back up out of reach, my holocron kept hitting until I had a full suite of force verbs and the decisive blow let me focus on the kill without worry of any more incoming damage.

Three was poe/maz and he dropped Vader down to 1 pretty quickly. I decided to go for maz first since he'd dropped two shields on Poe, he field medic'ed once but I still got the kill in round two. Kept Vader up at 1 hp with a force illusion and some key deflects, and just dumped out damage from there, Poe went down way faster than I expected.

Four, I just got shat on, I never had a chance. Round one he got six actions before I had one, dropped Vader to five and claimed before I had even rolled in. I had a slow hand to boot. My dice removal ended up being worthless here because he was stacking up free actions off ambush weapons on Rey, specials on force speed, rolling in and resolving before I could take a turn. Round two I roll in hoping to get something out of Vader before he dies, and he just gets another slew of free actions and Vader dies before I can resolve. Could've just conceded there, but it only took another round anyway. I dropped Rey to 2 with events etc, but just couldn't finish her off, kept hitting blanks. Don't even know what to think about this game, like none of my cards mattered at all.

Overall - a lot more pure melee damage than I was expecting from my opponents, I had some awkward spots where I had like melee mods from makashi, but only ranged, specials, etc from my other dice. I didn't end up using overconfidence much, when I actually had it in hand it felt like I had better things to be doing. Rise again and decisive blow were prohibitively expensive for me most games, and I just pitched for rerolls. I rarely had both enough resources and a reason to play either. Also really scary to have stuck in hand vs Kylo specials. Light saber throw was annoyingly difficult to get off due to the issue of rolling more specials or other sides than actual melee damage. It also felt like if I didn't get a turn 1 enrage/holocron into an ability I struggled a lot to keep up. I mulled aggressively every game for either.

Edit: unfortunately for me prize structure was pretty top heavy too, so I basically just made back my cost of entry while first got a decent chunk of change. They did some random drawings outside of that, but most of those excluded anyone who placed anyway.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 12, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oh the other thing I was gonna add, I didn't get a ton of use out of the force pushes really, I was thinking about replacing those. The threat of the force throws seemed to do a fair bit, but realistically I didn't get a ton of impact out of them either, I managed a throw for 3 in the Luke Rey game, the rest of the time they just played around it.

I also wanted more consistent melee sides for the makashi modifiers. I kept forgetting about the action on makashi too, although I got one good use out of it in game two.

The lures ended up helping a lot just because of the generic modifier.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 12, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Forcing them to play around Force Throw is exactly why it's so good.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Forcing them to play around Force Throw is exactly why it's so good.

I strongly feel that the design of Force Throw is super poor. You say it forces people to "play around" it, but that's just the problem: if you don't have dice removal in hand ready to go, it punishes players for simply engaging in the game. When a player has that Special sitting on the table, the other player is strictly disincentivized from rolling out more (or any) of their dice since it immediately hurts them, and especially so if they're playing a deck with any high-damage dice faces. Even just the risk of giving the opponent 2 extra damage is enough in this game to simply want to just opt out of rolling, which is incredibly discouraging.

I'll never not play it in a Blue deck because it IS so "good", but I really don't care for how it works. I think it should have been conditional, either a resource-gated Special, or restricting the Special to remove certain faces (maybe non-damage faces, to represent weaponizing something that otherwise wouldn't do damage, idk), etc.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Merauder posted:

I strongly feel that the design of Force Throw is super poor. You say it forces people to "play around" it, but that's just the problem: if you don't have dice removal in hand ready to go, it punishes players for simply engaging in the game. When a player has that Special sitting on the table, the other player is strictly disincentivized from rolling out more (or any) of their dice since it immediately hurts them, and especially so if they're playing a deck with any high-damage dice faces. Even just the risk of giving the opponent 2 extra damage is enough in this game to simply want to just opt out of rolling, which is incredibly discouraging.

As opposed to say, Deflect or Reversal or High Ground or Shoot First or It's A Trap or Friendly Fire that might be in their hand that you DON'T know about. Maybe you should just never roll out your characters for fear of your dice being manipulated or used against you?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

six boosters left at the barnes & noble up the street, got a force speed in pack 1

fake edit: vibroknife pack 2

their online inventory says they still have it in stock, but that's all that was on the shelf and the lady at the counter didn't think they had anymore :shrug:

real edit: I tried reserving some online and it went through, so I guess I'll wait for the e-mail

I also got like eight battlefields in those six packs including several uncommon slots, so I think that's punishing me for my earlier luck

also updated tradelist on the offchance anyone's interested

reminder that I'm also looking for a bunch of awakenings stuff still, including c/u

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 13, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Benthalus posted:

As opposed to say, Deflect or Reversal or High Ground or Shoot First or It's A Trap or Friendly Fire that might be in their hand that you DON'T know about. Maybe you should just never roll out your characters for fear of your dice being manipulated or used against you?

I agree those are better design and Force Throw is a bit of a poor design, yes. That kind of gotcha is generally more fun for everyone if it's one-use based on hidden information rather than "sometimes you know you have chance X in Y to get punished horribly".

It's hardly a make-or-break issue but I think it's a reasonable point.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Ultiville posted:

It's hardly a make-or-break issue but I think it's a reasonable point.

Yeah, I don't think it ruins the game or anything, it's just a very negative experience to play against in my opinion. And I think it's pretty clear the difference between facing down a Force Throw special vs an unknown removal card in your opponent's hand that may or may not also do damage. Part of any TCG is executing your strategy based on the incomplete information you have, or whatever you can infer from the game state: does the player have unspent resources to play a specific removal that I need to worry about? Are they playing a color that allows for damage dealing removal that I need to be expecting to see (once or twice per game tops)? What possible cards could they be holding to disrupt my plans? Any of those questions, among others, create an interesting environment for a player to make decisions based on, trying to find the optimal or most favorable line of play. Force Throw completely circumvents all that and just creates a game state that says "you know I'm going to damage you if you have dice, so just deal with it". Boring, and annoying.

Moving on to another design topic entirely, has anyone had much experience playing with any of the "choose a different symbol" types of effects from SoR yet? Namely C-3PO, Determination, and above all else Planned Explosion. It seems that the ability to completely remove the need to mitigate the game's dice-driven variance by just letting you use any symbol to become something else (even if limited by card count and draws) is a little... I don't know, just not great. I'm hoping those designs don't become staple cards in decks, but haven't had a chance to play with any SoR stuff yet myself. Probably too soon to gauge anyway, but curious if people here have any thoughts on them.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Force Throw isn't as good now with all the action cheats in the game

it's still good though

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
C-PO is amazing, it's giving you consistency that you want in a dice game

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

There definitely seems to be a sub theme in the Villain cards being better at removing your opponents dice and the Hero cards better at controlling your own dice.

Being able to spend resources to control your dice rolls isn't a bad thing though, it lets you cut down on luck and so long as someone can attach two blaster pistols and roll 10 or more damage on turn 1, luck will always be a factor in the game and never totally overpowered by control effects.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Merauder posted:

Moving on to another design topic entirely, has anyone had much experience playing with any of the "choose a different symbol" types of effects from SoR yet? Namely C-3PO, Determination, and above all else Planned Explosion. It seems that the ability to completely remove the need to mitigate the game's dice-driven variance by just letting you use any symbol to become something else (even if limited by card count and draws) is a little... I don't know, just not great. I'm hoping those designs don't become staple cards in decks, but haven't had a chance to play with any SoR stuff yet myself. Probably too soon to gauge anyway, but curious if people here have any thoughts on them.
I think C3-P0 is completely balanced around the fact that it takes so many actions to get a return - sure, he's great at providing consistency if you can afford using three actions to play him, roll his die and then remove it to resolve another, but you've just handed your opponent a huge lead in tempo.

Planned explosion I'm curious about trying, it seems hard to reliably trigger from what I've seen though. I've watched a few games of people running it, the all-in combo-like ones folded hard to dice manipulation and removal while losing a bunch of tempo making the setup plays and the ones that threw in a one-of alternate win con didn't seem like they were able trigger it very often, or it didn't matter if they did. I'm sure there's better shells to play it in though, curious to see how it develops.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I remember forever ago someone recommended a specific plano model for holding a ton of dice, anyone remember what # it was, or have a specific suggestion?
I've got a bunch of smaller ones leftover from other stuff, but each one holds uh, 48 dice total I think.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I found that the Plano compartments are not ideal for holding dice. This one from Bead Landing is:

This holds my extra dice (I use the Ultimate Guard Twin Flip'n'Tray to carry around my tournament decks) and two other fun decks in the front. I have about 3 boxes worth of Awakenings and 2 1/2 boxes of SoR total in there, with room to spare. Cards are in a binder.

http://www.michaels.com/bead-landin...&sz=24&start=51

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Benthalus posted:

I found that the Plano compartments are not ideal for holding dice. This one from Bead Landing is:

This holds my extra dice (I use the Ultimate Guard Twin Flip'n'Tray to carry around my tournament decks) and two other fun decks in the front. I have about 3 boxes worth of Awakenings and 2 1/2 boxes of SoR total in there, with room to spare. Cards are in a binder.

http://www.michaels.com/bead-landin...&sz=24&start=51

Right, that's why I was asking, I thought there was a specific model that fit dice better per compartment. Right now I've got 2 of the aforementioned boxes holding 48 dice each, a baggie with the rest of my spares, plus whatever I'm using for decks in the deck box. I'll probably keep looking around, I might just do the giant photo storage thing I saw linked too.

In other news, barnes & noble still had quite a few loose packs, so I grabbed a few more. I'm in for 3.5 boxes at this point and still missing 3 uncommons, everyone I tried to trade with the other night had at most 1 copy of each and wasn't willing to trade it period. At least I did get a second FN and a couple of the other rares I was still missing, overall the value was pretty terrible though. I think I'm gonna give eHayden & eFN a shot though.

Anyone have any other FN pairing suggestions? I guess I could try like, eFN, Bala, Royal Guard? I only have 1 die for Jango & IG-88 which are the other two I was maybe looking at.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
The Plano case I use, also purchased at Michael's, is #5315. It's a larger, double-sided case with enough room to hold an entire playset of dice from a single set, so I have two of them now. Not sure if these pictures will link from FB properly, but here and here are images of one in use.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Double posting, but got some time to play some games finally today with SoR content. I built a eJango/e2199 deck that I got six games in with, all against eJyn/Ackbar. Came out ahead 4-to-2 by the end. After the first few games we each made some slight mods to our lists, and are fairly happy with where they are. Jango/2199 is just super fast and can do some really nasty damage quickly with good rolling, but is fairly resource dependent. Here's where my list ended up:

code:
BATTLEFIELD
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Moisture Farm, Tatooine (Spirit of Rebellion #156)

CHARACTER
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x Jango Fett, Lethal Mercenary (Awakenings #21)
2x FN-2199, Loyal Trooper (Spirit of Rebellion #2)

UPGRADE
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
2x F-11D Rifle (Awakenings #8)
2x Holdout Blaster (Awakenings #63)
2x DT-29 Heavy Blaster Pistol (Spirit of Rebellion #7)
2x Z6 Riot Control Baton (Spirit of Rebellion #8)
2x Rocket Launcher (Spirit of Rebellion #53)
2x Vibroknife (Spirit of Rebellion #57)
2x Fast Hands (Spirit of Rebellion #150)

SUPPORT
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
1x AT-ST (Awakenings #5)
2x Backup Muscle (Awakenings #99)
2x Outmaneuver (Spirit of Rebellion #149)

EVENT
ŻŻŻŻŻ
1x Nowhere to Run (Awakenings #91)
2x He Doesn't Like You (Awakenings #97)
2x Electroshock (Awakenings #159)
2x Imperial War Machine (Spirit of Rebellion #62)
1x Sustained Fire (Spirit of Rebellion #64)
1x Arms Deal (Spirit of Rebellion #81)
1x Friends in High Places (Spirit of Rebellion #83)
1x Scrap Buy (Spirit of Rebellion #87)
Originally I had the deck built with Starship Graveyard to be able to use upgrade replacements to maximize 2199's ability and then recur weapons, but after just a couple games it was clear that a much bigger need was having resources to pay for everything (especially things like Rocket Launcher sides), so I swapped in the Moisture Farm. My mulligan condition quickly became to have one copy of Outmaneuver in my opening hand as well, since you're highly likely to be claiming due to the tempo advantage that Jango brings; especially so with Fast Hands on him. Generally if I can get resource sides from him I take them whenever I can, to help pay for 2199's damage output.

Liberally replacing upgrades to save resources, and even replacing matching upgrades (a Baton over a Baton, Launcher over a Launcher) is a great way to push really aggressive damage in a single turn. In a single turn you could go so far as playing an upgrade to 2199, rolling it, resolving it, activating him, resolving the weapon a second time, then replacing it and rolling & resolving yet a third of its dice. I was able to kill Jyn in a single turn from 0 with that line, and other dice. This quick cycling of your cards does put you at a bit of a disadvantage against control/mill decks however. The deck might just run out of steam against a 3 character build. Haven't had a chance to try it against one yet.

Events are all pretty straight forward. 1x Arms Deal can help either fund playing & resolving a Rocket Launcher with just 1 or 2 discards in a lot of cases, or otherwise can help drop the AT-ST in rare circumstances, though I'd say the AT-ST is an easy concession for other cards, as in these first 6 games I never did play it. The dream, of course, is using Friends in High Places to bust it out, but even without it, getting a free weapon off the top that can be rolled out & resolved via 2199 is nothing to sneeze at. Imperial War Machine was the last addition I made to just further help fund all the expensive dice faces.

Anyone playing anything similar? Any thoughts or different results you've had with it?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
How'd eJyn/Ackbar play? That's the deck I'm making. Worried I don't have enough discard effects, but I love the idea of it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Strobe posted:

How'd eJyn/Ackbar play? That's the deck I'm making. Worried I don't have enough discard effects, but I love the idea of it.

It was good. It felt a little split in what it's trying to do is all. Kicking off with an Overkill on Jyn is terrifying, and can straight down a character with the right rolls. On the other hand, it has a decent amount of discard available to it, and he rarely had any issue running me out of cards and getting Ackbar's passive damage to trigger, especially in this particular matchup where I was burning through cards aggressively though. But doing a little of both damage and discarding left me with enough time to keep slamming him with Rocket Launchers and Batons. One of our six games did go to my deck being depleted, and being unable to finish off Ackbar due to Lone Operative and C-3PO, always ensuring he was healing 3 per turn, plus things like Field Medics.

Overall I just think more aggressive decks will generally outpace those characters. I'd be curious to see how it does against other more rounded, slower decks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The big idea I've got is basically to do just enough damage to take out a character (or two, in a generics heavy deck) to reduce incoming damage, and try to outlast until discard wins. Things like R2-D2 to improve discard dice, and the like.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Rebel War Room don't strike your fancy?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

guts and bolts posted:

Rebel War Room don't strike your fancy?

Certainly an option. I'd have to try it and see how I like it compared to Moisture Farm. With the Outmaneuvers it might be just right to keep tempo up without much resource loss. I did play War Room with Leia/Ackbar for a while and really liked it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Strobe posted:

I've been running eJyn/Commando against whatever my current villain deck is, and it's... okay? I actually just traded for an Ackbar to try that instead of the Commando, the Jyn/Commando list I had felt a little... one note I guess? Like it was just stack a bunch of ranged dice & modifiers and hope you roll well and that your opponent isn't faster than you. Chuck in some discard where you have to. It didn't feel fast enough to deal with the good aggro decks, and didn't feel like it had enough tools to deal with others. Ammo belt & second chance is great if you can get that running of course. I might be a little too down on it right now, I was running a decidedly half-assed list before and I did trade for some other events etc. to round out my list as well, that may help it considerably.

I'm also really curious to try the hero mill thing with padme/maz/x since I just traded for some parts of that too, but I'm missing goggles & a couple of the other seemingly good upgrades or supports for it so I'm not sure if it would actually work yet. I also need to pick up (some of) the awakenings battlefields, like the mill one for the above.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I'm pretty obsessed with Jyn, who I hated upon being spoiled and now I realize how badly I rated her

Phone posting too, sorry

So, Jyn is badly used in a mill deck imo. Or at least she's also good in a shooty deck, where you shoot people. I guess it'd be a tempo deck?

I run eJyn with a Commando and no copies of Training because probably dumb; still, Jyn is cool and good because she makes otherwise bad cards good! Which everyone else has probably talked about. But phone browsing sucks.

DH-17s, Holdouts, Overkills, Jetpacks, whatever else; Scout, Survival Gear, Maz's Goggles, Infiltrate, maybe DL-44s. Add guns and Second Chances and that's treated me well

Infamous is a great card here imo. Make NTMTO a crippling blow. Murder dudes! You can go fast! Reversal is sexy here, Electroshock. I like Unpredictable and Loth-Cat too. Obviously Rebel

Take Moisture Farm for money or Secret Facility to speed up turns where you can't Infamous-> NTMTO for 10

It doesn't swing as hard as Luke decks and what not but it's nice and requires a whopping 0 legendaries as a shell, only Goggles if you want em I guess? So financially feasible to build!

eJyn/Commando rules

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

I'm pretty obsessed with Jyn, who I hated upon being spoiled and now I realize how badly I rated her

Phone posting too, sorry

So, Jyn is badly used in a mill deck imo. Or at least she's also good in a shooty deck, where you shoot people. I guess it'd be a tempo deck?

I run eJyn with a Commando and no copies of Training because probably dumb; still, Jyn is cool and good because she makes otherwise bad cards good! Which everyone else has probably talked about. But phone browsing sucks.

DH-17s, Holdouts, Overkills, Jetpacks, whatever else; Scout, Survival Gear, Maz's Goggles, Infiltrate, maybe DL-44s. Add guns and Second Chances and that's treated me well

Infamous is a great card here imo. Make NTMTO a crippling blow. Murder dudes! You can go fast! Reversal is sexy here, Electroshock. I like Unpredictable and Loth-Cat too. Obviously Rebel

Take Moisture Farm for money or Secret Facility to speed up turns where you can't Infamous-> NTMTO for 10

It doesn't swing as hard as Luke decks and what not but it's nice and requires a whopping 0 legendaries as a shell, only Goggles if you want em I guess? So financially feasible to build!

eJyn/Commando rules

Fair. Jyn/Commando is still probably the most competitive hero deck I have at the moment and the eLuke/Rey version I lost to is probably like a $500 deck given the current market, so yeah.

Anyways, I was running 1 copy of training, but that felt kinda dumb so I just dropped it. I guess if you think of it like a 2 cost weapon that can only be played on commando, it's probably still worth it? I dunno.
Here's my current list if you want to make fun of it and/or make suggestions. Except I think Fast Hands is actually Jetpacks again, it just doesn't seem worth resolving a single die most of the time. I guess it's better with all the specials etc. on jetpack, lone op, a180 if I actually keep playing those.

I still don't own Second Chances, I guess I need to suck it up and buy them because no one local seems interested in actually trading them even when they have like eight sitting in their self-described trade binder. At one point I was running NTMTO as a one-of, I'm not sure why I dropped it. Cost I think? I should make at least one slot for it though. I'm not necessarily sold on Cheat, it often feels like a waste of time. I guess you can do some fun stuff with it though. Spirit of Rebellion is because I don't own Field Medics and I figure it sorta equals out with them being zero cost. No Reversals either. Couldn't decide between Moisture Farm & Secret Facility, I also tried Maz's Castle when I had more one-ofs in there. At one point I tried ascension guns, but that felt pretty durdly. I have a single DL-44, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to cut for it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Hauki posted:

Cool stuff

The only non-negotiable stuff, in my mind, is Infamous, NTMTO, Rebel, and Second Chance. Some of the cards I run are purely tempo plays, like rolling out Commando and if you don't like the result, Loth-Cat it since we can't HDLY. Jyn makes NTMTO and Reversal, which are largely forgettable in many decks, into dangerous powerhouse plays, and if you run Scout (I do) you can make that plus all your native discard faces do some serious work. I've foregone damage sometimes because I rolled the nuts for discard, and I've been generally happy with the results; forget milling, Jyn/Commando can treat it as straight control.

NTMTO in this shell exists to be the big swing, obviously, and at 2 resources w/ Jyn it is basically always a threat to come out and kill a guy. One shotting Maz before Luke is done setting up is fun and good!

I also run LTWW and it's amazing stuff when it's free. Our upgrades are similar, but I run Second Chance over Fast Hands, Scout over Lone Op, and Jetpacks over the A180s. None of those are really bad calls though, except as you noted I don't really give a gently caress about Fast Hands in this deck. Second Chance would be a huge difference-maker.

You have some events that I don't but some of them, like FILP, do stuff that I also do, just differently (I run Scout instead, and also to overwrite with guns as necessary). Cheat seems lackluster except in super niche situations to me but you said that.

The deck I built is basically just nonstop offense, too, and you've included survivability which I can't disagree with. Every card in my deck controls dice and/or cards or shoots stuff, and is meant to be fast and cheap. Yours looks like it needs some turns to fully assert itself, but you included stuff to make it that far?

I was considering adding 3PO but I haven't, and I don't know if I want Defensive Position or Rebel Assault in my events pile, but we both arrived at 12 upgrades, 10 dice, and 2x Infamous independently, so that indicates it's a good "norm" to build from?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

The only non-negotiable stuff, in my mind, is Infamous, NTMTO, Rebel, and Second Chance. Some of the cards I run are purely tempo plays, like rolling out Commando and if you don't like the result, Loth-Cat it since we can't HDLY. Jyn makes NTMTO and Reversal, which are largely forgettable in many decks, into dangerous powerhouse plays, and if you run Scout (I do) you can make that plus all your native discard faces do some serious work. I've foregone damage sometimes because I rolled the nuts for discard, and I've been generally happy with the results; forget milling, Jyn/Commando can treat it as straight control.

NTMTO in this shell exists to be the big swing, obviously, and at 2 resources w/ Jyn it is basically always a threat to come out and kill a guy. One shotting Maz before Luke is done setting up is fun and good!

I also run LTWW and it's amazing stuff when it's free. Our upgrades are similar, but I run Second Chance over Fast Hands, Scout over Lone Op, and Jetpacks over the A180s. None of those are really bad calls though, except as you noted I don't really give a gently caress about Fast Hands in this deck. Second Chance would be a huge difference-maker.

You have some events that I don't but some of them, like FILP, do stuff that I also do, just differently (I run Scout instead, and also to overwrite with guns as necessary). Cheat seems lackluster except in super niche situations to me but you said that.

The deck I built is basically just nonstop offense, too, and you've included survivability which I can't disagree with. Every card in my deck controls dice and/or cards or shoots stuff, and is meant to be fast and cheap. Yours looks like it needs some turns to fully assert itself, but you included stuff to make it that far?

I was considering adding 3PO but I haven't, and I don't know if I want Defensive Position or Rebel Assault in my events pile, but we both arrived at 12 upgrades, 10 dice, and 2x Infamous independently, so that indicates it's a good "norm" to build from?

Yeah, I'll probably suck it up and order some second chances tomorrow along with some other cheaper awakenings staples I'm missing. Trying to cut back, spent way more than I should've on destiny already this month, at least I had plenty of overtime to make up for it though.

So the Lone Op plus Jetpack, SoR was all supposed to sort of make up for the lack of Second Chances in my current list. Also the reasoning for the A180s, I like the versatility of the double specials plus the equivalent of four good damage sides. I try to overwrite them on other stuff given the chance but I'm gonna try out Moisture Farm again anyways as Secret Facility can be pretty scary for me in some matchups. Maybe that'll help free up resources. I tried C3P0 as a one-of at one point, and... he's pretty good, but it also slows the deck down a lot. He is nice to have with the Loth-cat as an alternate to the commando. I like his sides for a one-cost, the action, the focus or the resource can all be good depending on the board. I mostly found myself using the action to turn discard rolls into raw damage but there's certainly other applications for it. There might be a slower more controlling shell that could make better use of him?

Anyway, I still kinda think Jetpack & Overkill fill the same role to some degree, I'm not sure it's right to run two of each. I'll go over it all again once I get the Second Chances, etc. I saw one or more people running Infiltrates which I also traded for this past week, but now I'm not sure they're worth the slot at all or what I'd actually want to cut for them.

Event-wise, yeah there's a lot I've considered, I did look at Rebel Assault a couple times but never actually tried it out. I dropped the Cheats for NTMTOs again, I mostly like having FILP for the information and the off-chance I can pull an electroshock or whatever. Mostly I just tried to jam in as much cheap control as I could in my event slots to keep Jyn up/disrupt whatever my opponent's doing until I can hopefully get ahead on big damage rolls. I just tweaked my list a bit more, gonna give it a go against my updated ehayden/ekylo at home and then I'll probably pull it out next week since it's casual night anyway at my lgs.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I'm trying out eJyn/Snap with planetary uprising. Mulligan for a first turn diversion to start the ball rolling! Keep 'em poor, rebel assault their money and special dice away. Electroshock, Negotiate etc to remove dice, collateral damage for another way to drain resources.

Thinking of using Carbon Freezing Chanmber to imprison their best character die, and as an additional weapon against Palpatine.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jyn is bad, she costs too much for what she offers

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bowmore posted:

I kind of share this opinion. 15/20 for an 11 health hero with a subpar ability and low dice.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

bowmore posted:

I disagree. Originally this was my take, but discard sides are actually extremely good even if you're not milling, and she makes cards like NTMTO into win conditions at any time. She also gets you into yellow which is great, she still has 11 natural health, and her ability is just really fun. Rebel hits the entire drat deck and if you run Jyn/Commando it'll be up consistently.

She has identical costs to Luke and trades some of his explosive burst for consistency. Luke has 5 potential outcomes on his die, and Jyn has 4, which seems like nothing but is actually a good prompt for trimming the fat from a deck. I don't care about shield cards or shield die results or having to get All-In to make those Focuses immediately scary; I shoot dudes or kill your hand and that's basically it.

She has 1 less health than Luke and her ability is probably not as good, but she's in a great color for her ability and many of the yellow hero options seem tailor-made for June specifically. She's good! Also, she's (financially) much cheaper. I own Lukes and I love him bunches, but Jyn/Commando is not just a budget deck. It's a good deck that also happens to be cheap to build.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Luke isn't good either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

bowmore posted:

Luke isn't good either

Dang what