Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Looper posted:

I think it depends on whether you want your horror to be actually fear-inducing or more of an aesthetic

I mean sure, if you're making Castlevania I'm not gonna complain that you're doing horror wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

that was samurai legend musashi. brave fencer musashi was the one with bincho points and you had a special attack where you double jump and dive at the enemy, and the game plays this weird crow sfx
:goonsay:

no i'm definitely thinking of brave fencer musashi. i goog'd it:

quote:

Counter Blow - Apparently, if you charge your bar (R1), then
press Triangle just after you've blocked an attack (you should
already be in blocking stance at the moment), you can counter
attack the enemy for massive damage. Good for really persistent
and really hardy enemies.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

I mean sure, if you're making Castlevania I'm not gonna complain that you're doing horror wrong.

Serious question, since Castlevania is a great segue into it: how do you feel about Bloodborne as a horror game? It's action-oriented, but it's full of horrific imagery (going well beyond copy-pasted skeletons and Universal Monsters), has incredibly dark and unpleasant themes (I don't think the game is capable of resolving positively for basically anyone in it), and mechanically puts you in a state of fear because just like other Souls games any misstep can result in sudden and virtually instant death.

If you don't think it's a horror game, or that it's a bad one, why?

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 12, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

Actually they prove my point because they're not scary at all.

Literally no game has ever been scary

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne has a dude with a dude head and a big spider body and that's pretty scary

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

corn in the bible posted:

Literally no game has ever been scary

Become twelve and play System Shock 2 alone in the dark and you will quickly find yourself afraid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Things in games aren't real

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yes? The emotions they can evoke sure are. I was jumping at shadows for days afterwards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Video games are not real but through the miracle of our human brains we sometimes feel emotions for things that are not real, thus why we create narratives focusing around fictional characters and things. Humanity sure is amazing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

no i'm definitely thinking of brave fencer musashi. i goog'd it:

huh, how about that. i know there's a circle slash that was useful for the one part where you had to fight the invincible super zombies until morning, but i never used the counter.

things in games aren't real but playing civ 5 and looking at the clock and being like "wait it was 10pm last time i looked how is it 2am now i only played a few hundred more turns" is very real

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Imagine being this emotionally dead

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be cool if there was a switch in your brain you could set to '10 year old' or 'twitch streamer' to make horror games more scary

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

how can games be real if the characters aren't real

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

huh, how about that. i know there's a circle slash that was useful for the one part where you had to fight the unkillable zombies until morning, but i never used the counter.

the reason i was impressed with myself and it stuck with me is because i don't think it's mentioned anywhere in the instruction manual and is definitely not mentioned anywhere in-game so figuring out how it worked by what basically was random chance was a True Gamer Moment

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Imagine being this emotionally dead

buddy i don't need to imagine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phantasium posted:

how can games be real if the characters aren't real

I wish 2B was real and also that she would sit on my face

Cowcaster posted:

buddy i don't need to imagine

Bummer

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Which do you guys prefer shooter games with universal ammo or shooter games without universal ammo? Which has more tension? Universal ammo games lets you reload all your guns with the same ammo, In Deus Ex: Invisible War you could reload the rocket launcher with the same ammo that you used for your pistol.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CJacobs posted:

I wish 2B was real and also that she would sit on my face

:yikes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bloodborne is legit the game that has caused me the most stress besides, like, trying to play 1v1 Starcraft online. Jump scares are whatever but the sheer brute lethality of the early game had me so panicked that I tried to kill the first non-hostile NPC because I literally could not conceive of there being something in the game that did not want to kill me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blame Yoko Taro for this desire

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tenzarin posted:

Which do you guys prefer shooter games with universal ammo or shooter games without universal ammo? Which has more tension? Universal ammo games lets you reload all your guns with the same ammo, In Deus Ex: Invisible War you could reload the rocket launcher with the same ammo that you used for your pistol.

it kinda depends, i usually prefer games with specialized ammo because i tend to like mid-range burst ars above anything else, but if i take a series of misses or get pinned down, i still have the pistol, shotgun, or single-shot rifle option rather than screwing myself because i favor an ammo-hungry weapon.

but if it's a game with inventory management, i'd much rather have universal ammo so i don't need to constantly tetris my loving backpack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Blame Yoko Taro for this desire

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i also took a screencap of that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has there been any word on what vlambeer is up to these days? Maybe some surprise announcement at E3?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

i also took a screencap of that

I'm pretty sure 99% of people who played it did

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a really good moment

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The arousal I felt at age fifteen at the mere implication of sex in Fable 1 was very real.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"hug" is only three letters :confused:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm pretty sure 99% of people who played it did

hats off to the 1% who play with their monitors off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you've already beaten all 5 main endings of Nier Automata feel free to check out this album of every screenshot I took during my playthrough. Seriously do not click on this if you haven't already fully beaten the game

http://imgur.com/a/oWolG

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That's a pretty cool funny moment, I'm glad I didn't get to experience it myself

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Taking lots of screenshots of your games is a cool idea that I wish I did but i'm too lazy

They patched it on on PS4 a year or two back to automatically take a screenshot when you get a trophy so I have hundreds of photos of blank/loading screens since that's when they pop half the time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

King's Field had an NPC dressed like Eric Cartman from South Park.

I know exactly who you're talking about and it is funny but King's Field was released in 94 and South Park was made in 97 so it's just a coincidence.

It's funny when in the third game you can revisit the first game's area and find him still there, but as an undead skeleton merchant who is like "yeah I was cursed and now I have to stay here forever. Welp."

e: it's funny how snarky King's Field could get at times tho. Like, you have this solemn, melancholy world in King's Field 3 and then you use the item that gives you lore about whatever area or person you're looking at and using it on this one sad bride just has the item talking about how she's whining too much about her groom dying or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Really Pants posted:

"hug" is only three letters :confused:

kill is four tho!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tag urself im DESSERT EAGLE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is a taff

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Typical, the token female character gets maxed out GUN

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outside of a colloquialism for being Welsh or of Welsh descent I have no idea

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Definitely a GLOG 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

That's a pretty cool funny moment, I'm glad I didn't get to experience it myself

• Locked thread