Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hey lifting goons, I'm hitting plateaus in like everything I do. I'm thinking of increasing my caloric intake by about 15% and having an extra cheat day a week for the next month to try and bust through it, any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SundayMoney posted:

No worries, considering you know a little bit of everything, it's too be expected some things can slip through the cracks.

I knew what TMJ stood for, at least! One of my sisters had some jaw pain like 20 years ago and it possibly being TMJ was tossed around until a doctor found that it wasn't that (and she got better).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BlindSite posted:

Hey lifting goons, I'm hitting plateaus in like everything I do. I'm thinking of increasing my caloric intake by about 15% and having an extra cheat day a week for the next month to try and bust through it, any other ideas?

How much are you sleeping? Drinking (booze)? When was your last "easy" week?

Those could be loving with you too

Also literally postin between deadlift sets lol

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

BlindSite posted:

Couple of things I do is start doing drop sets in my workouts until I get past it, or I will switch up my routine from heavy lifts to lower weight/higher rep workouts for a few months, but my fitness goal isn't max strength all the time.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

How much are you sleeping? Drinking (booze)? When was your last "easy" week?

Those could be loving with you too

Also literally postin between deadlift sets lol

I cut my drinking way back a few weeks ago. 2 drinks friday night usually whisky and water and no more than 6 in a weekend again usually the same or vodka and soda.

I make sure to get 8 hours a night.

Had an easy week last week. Dropped back a step in terms of weight and focussed on control and form etc.

I use the strong first principle quite a bit. So i dont smash myself day in ans out

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BlindSite posted:

I cut my drinking way back a few weeks ago. 2 drinks friday night usually whisky and water and no more than 6 in a weekend again usually the same or vodka and soda.

I make sure to get 8 hours a night.

Had an easy week last week. Dropped back a step in terms of weight and focussed on control and form etc.

I use the strong first principle quite a bit. So i dont smash myself day in ans out

DM James Harrison and ask what to do.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

post your routine

also holy poo poo suicide squad is as bad as everyone said it was

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

post your routine

I watched the Directors Cut of Batman vs. Superman, and it made so much more sense. Like it still wasn't a great movie, but I actually had a better appreciation for the characters and understood their choices.

I watched the Directors Cut of Suicide Squad thinking a similar thing would happen and I was just more confused.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SundayMoney posted:

I was diagnosed with TMJ about 15 years ago and I've been dealing with a ton of pain. But thankfully the joint itself doesn't have a ton of wear on it so it's all in the muscles of it. Which he told me after 15 years of it, getting appliances aka mouth guards for it and taking meds along with muscle stretching exercises is about all I can do. It's just frustrating is all.

Wait there's anything you can do for TMJ? I just quit chewing gum and now it only tweaks me every so often.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

post your routine

I knew I'd never see it so I just youtubed a few action scenes from that movie and man, if the action scenes were that lifeless I can't imagine how rough the other 10 minutes must be

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

ulmont posted:

Wait there's anything you can do for TMJ? I just quit chewing gum and now it only tweaks me every so often.

Have you guys tried contract relax (also known as PNF) stretching? Static stretches have never worked on any joint for me.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I hated Batman v. Superman way more than Suicide Squad. I mean, both movies are completely godawful but at least the latter had the courtesy to end at some point.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and actually enjoy a comic book movie.

Kong:Skull Island was surprisingly fun too actually.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Have you guys tried contract relax (also known as PNF) stretching? Static stretches have never worked on any joint for me.

I'm going to have to look into this, the doctor I just saw gave me a list of stretches to try and help. Thankfully the structure of my jaw is sound so mine is muscular. Both doctors I've seen told me that's better than if the structure was bad because the surgery is painful and not 100% guaranteed. Also asking about gum, I haven't chewed gum in 15 years to try and limit the pain as well. Normally I have a baseline of pain that I deal with but lately it's been really rough on me which isn't good for the job I have.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Seriously, outside of a few select Batman movies, what is the best DC comics movie? It has to be some minor or non-mainstream character, maybe Constatine? Otherwise you have to go back to like Superman 2.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
When will they stop hiring Zach Snyder

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

swickles posted:

Seriously, outside of a few select Batman movies, what is the best DC comics movie? It has to be some minor or non-mainstream character, maybe Constatine? Otherwise you have to go back to like Superman 2.
It's been a while since I've seen it but yeah Constantine owned.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Watchmen wasn't horrible.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lol this ending

Also why is Harley Quinn attackig an Aztec god with a bat

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the opening bit to Watchmen was pretty good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Watchmen wasn't horrible.

I thought Watchmen, while published by DC, doesn't tske place in the DC universe. Like you would never see Batman and Ozymandias team up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I enjoyed Watchmen. 300 was pretty good too.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the dc universe is just so inconsistent

i mean am i to believe superman wouldn't appear here? like this is more than a 5 minute problem for supes?

in addition the first time we saw wonder woman she was killing doomsday

am i really supposed to be worried about her killing a bunch of huns in a ditch in france

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

I thought Watchmen, while published by DC, doesn't tske place in the DC universe. Like you would never see Batman and Ozymandias team up.

oh yeah, if that's what you mean it's a good point. although watchmen was all based on old dc characters

i mean green lantern is great if you love horribly produced poo poo shows

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

swickles posted:

Alan Moore pitched the idea of using the Charlton Comics characters DC had just bought but was talked into creating original characters. He didn't put a whole lot of effort into it:

Captain Atom -> Dr. Manhattan
The Question -> Rorschach
Blue Beetle -> Nite Owl

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, watchmen is a separate universe dealie that was written in the 80's as a homage / deconstruction to what superhero comics were at the time.

Literally everything is better then that Superman movie from like 2005-2006. That thing was the dullest love letter from a director possible.

The stuff from DC people like tends to be the goofy comedic stuff, so they should probably lean into that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

also dc movies since the new superman just have staggeringly high casualty rates

why would a 6k year old south american god say "you don't have the balls" to the republican presidential candidate from house of cards

this movie is so loving bad

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the funniest post i've ever read on this forum was someone doing a fake screenplay for a grim-dark DC movie about the dumbest of DC heroes, Banana Man.

It was something like

Dark figure holds knife up to thug's neck

Thug: You're crazy!

figure steps into the light.

Hero: I'm.....totally bananas.

/throat slash

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I love most of the DC Vertigo titles, and do not care if you judge me

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Man of Steel was good

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Comics are okay, just you know, read some other stuff too.

Like everyone at hot topic, I think Sandman was excellent

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Metapod posted:

Man of Steel was good

nah

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also, Lego Batman was the best Batman movie. My favorite part about it was it having all these absolutely ridiculous villains THAT ACTUALLY EXISTED IN THE COMICS. Looking at you Condiment Man.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
As bad as BvS was, at least it wasn't Sucker Punch.

Holy hell that's a lovely movie

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Metapod posted:

Man of Steel was good

Until you get to the less compelling dragon ball z action scenes

*superman punched in the face, knocked back roughly two miles and through some buildings. gets up, smirks*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I watched one of the x-men movies when I flew to HK in October... The one with Apocalypse. It was really, really bad.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

Also, Lego Batman was the best Batman movie. My favorite part about it was it having all these absolutely ridiculous villains THAT ACTUALLY EXISTED IN THE COMICS. Looking at you Condiment Man.

X-men has the market cornered on poo poo heros.

behold, a villain with the power to turn himself into ice cream

As you can imagine, the practical applications were...limited

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

I watched one of the x-men movies when I flew to HK in October... The one with Apocalypse. It was really, really bad.

I haven't seen Logan yet but apparently it's good.

But yeah once singer bounced to do super man returns (lol) xmen fell to pieces.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Until you get to the less compelling dragon ball z action scenes

*superman punched in the face, knocked back roughly two miles and through some buildings. gets up, smirks*

doesn't help that Henry Cavill has all the charisma of a street lamp too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spidey Super Stories was aimed at very young children, so much like Newspaper Spider Man, it's fantastic:

• Locked thread