Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

ChaseSP posted:

I wonder if the desaturation is to encourage combat models to prefer to stay on Earth or something just due to the color and vibrancy.

I dunno. Maybe it's because the City Ruins isn't on the front lines or something (especially considering the weapon story for the Type-40 Spear) but the area 2B is rolling in seems downright lovely. I mean, the little stubbies are hopping around doing their thing, but it's not like 2B is running through cyber Normandy or anything. I don't see any reason why the androids would be clamoring to get back to the cramped space stations. I guess the Moose/Boar menace could be making life on the surface a living nightmare though.

GeneX posted:

I mean "detain deserters holding military tech" is a fine justification for a sidequest alone, no need to mention resistance things.

You would think so right? I found it weird that the operator was given that much detail. From a story point of view, 2B and 9S have regular contact with the resistance leader, so they could have easily checked in with her about it. If they had done the bare minimum of investigation and asked Anemone, then the whole mission is suddenly really suspicious right off the bat. Why didn't she just say "They are deserters, stole some military secrets, top secret stuff. Go get 'em for me?" Not like anyone could fact check that when you are the Commander.

*Edit*

Edvarius posted:

No no, you've got it all wrong. The woman was happy that her sacrifice could be of use to her lord. And he in turn was so moved by her willing sacrifice that he personally slew and devoured the husband the next day so that he would not have to parted from so virtuous a woman. Afterward the lord carried the kitchen knife that had carved them apart with him into battle, so that his most loyal subjects could always fight by his side.

drat, that's where I went wrong. I didn't have enough death in there, or any classic Yoko Taro curve-balls.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Junpei posted:

...suspicion towards Commander rising.

You're gonna get your backup tapes lost with talk like that.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Well, I'm installing it. I'm pretty sure it's not going to actually run, at least not at a playable level. My graphics card is, uh... six years old? Jesus. And it's not replaceable. Well, I did just get my bonus today...

Maybe I can just play the hacking minigame? They should have an option to play the whole game with 2B using the little hacking spaceship model for people who have old computers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The hacking minigame runs like poo poo for me, even though the rest of the game is fine.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Office to the giant hole is how this Quest went for me. I wasn't as low level as you were here so I didn't have a hard time of it but I agree, having a level recommendation would be nice.

Speaking of, a typo for you:

quote:

We am UNDER leveled for this battle.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'm gonna spitball something here. The humans dipped out of trying to retake Earth ages ago and are now on Mars or something.

Actually let's go with Jupiter, call the fortune telling thing ~foreshadowing~.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ManSedan posted:

I'm gonna spitball something here. The humans dipped out of trying to retake Earth ages ago and are now on Mars or something.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Now that's a series that could use the Platinum touch. :stare:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So -that's- what you do in that quest? The deserters or whatever sometimes appeared at the quest locations, and sometimes just bugged out?

Son of a-I must have wasted like an hour combing that Engel and skyscraper looking for those guys! :argh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My interpretation of the weapon story about 42S is that because of his constant broadcasting he basically pinpointed the position of his HQ and brought the machines down on himself. Music is Prohibited, 42S.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This quest was the second time I died in this game (first was getting grabbed by the big guy in the desert). Not having red-eye-flash cues makes them pretty tough even if you're an appropriate level!

The sidequests in this game are pretty much all worth doing. They always have an interesting story attached, even when they're more basic fetch quests. And like 90% of the time I already had the stuff they wanted :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wondered what was going on the with the stun animations on the deserters. It's really weird that they'd let it stay broken there since normally machines die just as you stun them and you'll probably use the finishing moves more in those two fights than you will in the entire rest of the game.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ManSedan posted:

There's a single human left on Pluto. The rest have all buggered off out of the Solar System. All that remains on the moon are some old service androids rigged up to drive on the lunar surface in bulldozers endlessly pushing around the same piles of dirt.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Fickle' is a real good description of that sidequest. When it stalled out for me, I just camped near one possible spawn point and reloaded my game until they showed up.

edit: seems like an appropriate time to post this

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 13, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aumanor posted:

There's a single human left on Pluto. The rest have all buggered off out of the Solar System. All that remains on the moon are some old service androids rigged up to drive on the lunar surface in bulldozers endlessly pushing around the same piles of dirt.

He is, however, the best Human Hunam there is :allears:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Huh, for me they were always under the highway and then on the building. I figured the Engels circle was a red herring.

Also, TDI, weren't you going to do a sidequest flowchart for Automata? Or was that flowchart basically "do the quest where you go down a hole -> do every sidequest" because really, none of them are all that bad (except the unit data one and a similar quest)?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, an estimated danger level might help. It's not completely out of the blue for them to say that since level shows up on 2B's HUD and all.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The level system is probably the least useful, most unnecessary thing in the game.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Aumanor posted:

Wish he would share the butt missile technology with 2B...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Danger danger pull up.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

AirborneNinja posted:

The level system is probably the least useful, most unnecessary thing in the game.
What about the death system?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

OmegaCake posted:

At least that leaves bodies everywhere in boss fights for you to recover off of.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seeing piles of corpses near bosses is the best.

Also the one or two corpses in safe zones. "How the gently caress did you even die here?!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also the one or two corpses in safe zones. "How the gently caress did you even die here?!"

"Is there going to be a fight here later, or are you just that poo poo?"

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Aumanor posted:

I appreciate this Star Control II Reference

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

"Is there going to be a fight here later, or are you just that poo poo?"

They hit the self destruct button by accident

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
that leaves you at 1HP though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the one thing the game doesnt clarify, so a lot of people dont experiment with it, is that the self destruct is not the same thing as the black box reaction.

It's a self destruct feature for 2B's skirt.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

It's legitimately running much better than I was expecting, in that it actually starts up! 30 fps on the menu screen, and at times the gameplay even approaches vaguely playable at 15 fps. Half a second of input lag that no settings are denting, the whole thing's in slow motion, and the audio is desynced. Everything's turned down all the way or completely off (including global illumination with FAR), so it looks like crap.

Honestly, for a six year old laptop that was never intended for gaming, it's pretty drat impressive. Still, I was hoping to play along. I'll probably put a new computer in the works, but it's not a priority. Eh.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

OmegaCake posted:

I don't think TDI touched on that too much but it at least serves a thematic purpose.

Unlike the level system which has only served to level gate and get me murdered by enemies I can't harm so I can experience the death system.

AirborneNinja fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 13, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

I mostly found a corpse of the same player at the beginning of maybe half the encounters of the game. Maybe they were playing on Very Hard on a blind run through? Maybe that was a big mistake?

AirborneNinja posted:

I don't think TDI touched on that too much but it at least serves a thematic purpose.

Unlike the level system which has only served to level gate and get me murdered by enemies I can't harm so I can experience the death system.

It was mentioned. Losing chips is the most annoying thing that can happen, and does serve any thematic purpose either since it's just a gameplay mechanic. I do want a more obvious sign that an enemy is out of your league like the Red Skull above enemies that will loving one shot you in Witcher 3, but I guess I don't have as much of a problem having a barrier to entry to areas.

Opinions aside, do enemies have different patterns or new attacks on harder difficulties or is it just you dying faster?

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 13, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Fabulousvillain posted:

Opinions aside, do enemies have different patterns or new attacks on harder difficulties or is it just you dying faster?

Bosses are faster and Engels shoots more missiles but I've hardly noticed anything major. Everyone shoots more bullets at least

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The death mechanic is the one gameplay mechanic of the game I straight-up dislike. Losing chips is an awful feeling, and there's one or two parts in the game that make getting a corpse back almost impossible.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Ah, hilarious 2B freefall pose.
No, I can see that it's designed to maximize air resistance and so slow her down. But her uniform wobbles open butt...

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

KamikazePotato posted:

The death mechanic is the one gameplay mechanic of the game I straight-up dislike. Losing chips is an awful feeling, and there's one or two parts in the game that make getting a corpse back almost impossible.

The bright side is that you can always just reload a save. And yeah, it does suck if you go to some of the areas that have very high level enemies early in the game.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Now that's a series that could use the Platinum touch. :stare:
As long as they keep Kojima from it I'd love to see a Platinum take on Zone of the Enders.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Sylphosaurus posted:

As long as they keep Kojima from it I'd love to see a Platinum take on Zone of the Enders.

I admit his work is far from flawless and know he's not everybody's cup of tea but you shut your GODDAMNED MOUTH

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Karia posted:

It's legitimately running much better than I was expecting, in that it actually starts up! 30 fps on the menu screen, and at times the gameplay even approaches vaguely playable at 15 fps. Half a second of input lag that no settings are denting, the whole thing's in slow motion, and the audio is desynced. Everything's turned down all the way or completely off (including global illumination with FAR), so it looks like crap.

Honestly, for a six year old laptop that was never intended for gaming, it's pretty drat impressive. Still, I was hoping to play along. I'll probably put a new computer in the works, but it's not a priority. Eh.

Are you using FAR (Fix Automata Resolution)? NieR: Automata down scales your game, then up scales it again. It actually makes the game run worse on high end GPUs, and pretty bad on low end GPUs. That's part of what impacts your FPS, on top of some lighting options you can disable in FAR. The main FAR discussion thread should let you know what you can disable to enhance your FPS. Or you can Google it and get some good answers. NieR is really poorly optimized for PC, but I don't think they expected it to sell as well as it did.

Eponymous posted:

I admit his work is far from flawless and know he's not everybody's cup of tea but you shut your GODDAMNED MOUTH

Naw, Kojima is a an amazing conceptual designer, but without a good editor or someone to tell him NO THAT'S loving STUPID STOP IT, he's not that great. Taro is far better at what Kojima wants to do: Use games as a medium for story telling. See: NieR.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 13, 2017

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

Are you using FAR (Fix Automata Resolution)? NieR: Automata down scales your game, then up scales it again. It actually makes the game run worse on high end GPUs, and pretty bad on low end GPUs. That's part of what impacts your FPS, on top of some lighting options you can disable in FAR. The main FAR discussion thread should let you know what you can disable to enhance your FPS. Or you can Google it and get some good answers. NieR is really poorly optimized for PC, but I don't think they expected it to sell as well as it did.

Literally in the paragraph you quoted:

Karia posted:

(including global illumination with FAR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

apocalypticCritic posted:

Literally in the paragraph you quoted:

Welp :v:. That's what I get for reading through something too fast.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 13, 2017

• Locked thread