Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Got a Wampler Dracarys today to solve this problem since my only amp is fairly clean. God drat it sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Looking for some advice on what I'd guess you would call gain staging. Just trying to balance my clean, rhythm and solo tones out volume wise. I can never seem it right.

Do any of you guys use a volume knob or pedal at the end of the chain to help balance things out like this? I do a lot of solo looping so I might start with a really quite loop with my clean tone and the volume knob turned down a good ways. Then I have to crank the volume knob on back up just to juice my drive pedal. I'm thinking of having a volume pedal right before the looper so I can get all of the inbetween shades of drive and still control the master volume so to speak.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I don't have a volume pedal, I need one. But I always do pedals from least gain to most, that way you can always stack them in a reasonable way. Like say you have 3 drive pedals, overdrive--> Distortion ---> Fuzz. You can have the first one as a light drive, and us that and the distortion for a lead tone, the distortion for your main rhythm tone, and blast the fuzz all the way with the overdrive for insane feedback. Always worked well for me.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Pokey Araya posted:

I don't have a volume pedal, I need one. But I always do pedals from least gain to most, that way you can always stack them in a reasonable way. Like say you have 3 drive pedals, overdrive--> Distortion ---> Fuzz. You can have the first one as a light drive, and us that and the distortion for a lead tone, the distortion for your main rhythm tone, and blast the fuzz all the way with the overdrive for insane feedback. Always worked well for me.

Yeah this works great in most situations.

The drive I'm working with (and like) is a modded Zvex distortron. I have a mod to add a stomp switch instead of the toggle for the gain setting.

Basically my crunch setting is the zvex with the lower gain setting and my guitar's volume knob rolled off a bit. I set this to match my clean volume. I could then boost it with the guitars volume knob if I need to. My mega gain/solo setting is the same pedal with the gain switched to high gain. Substantial boost in volume and if I roll back on my volume, I loose the gain I just added.

I'm thinking the volume pedal after all this gain but before my looper will let me get all of these different shades of gain and keep the volume to where I want it in the mix. Before I try to find a volume pedal to try this out, I wanted to see if anyone else was in a similar boat.

I have a spare dynacomp lying around that I've tried to use as a limiter on the heavy heavy drive, but its just too much tap dancing to turn on the gain then limit it with a compressor.

E: I might build one of these in the meantime.

philkop fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 7, 2017

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I have a weird setup for mine, in that I've got OD - Fuzz - Comp - OD - Fuzz - Gate, as I've found it helps my pedals behave a lot better. It is good to go least gain to most gain, but try messing around.

Also, full song run-throughs and recording, so you can hear any A/B differences. A few riffs can work, but I generally see how the whole chain functions in context of full balls-to-the-wall running, in-song adjustments, and checking the individual elements.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Hedningen posted:

I have a weird setup for mine, in that I've got OD - Fuzz - Comp - OD - Fuzz - Gate, as I've found it helps my pedals behave a lot better. It is good to go least gain to most gain, but try messing around.

Also, full song run-throughs and recording, so you can hear any A/B differences. A few riffs can work, but I generally see how the whole chain functions in context of full balls-to-the-wall running, in-song adjustments, and checking the individual elements.

Great advice on trying things in an actual song context. Sometimes that actual boost in volume suits the part really well.

I ended up making a knob controlled volume pedal just to try it and its just what I need. I'll be getting an actual pedal because I can't adjust the knob by foot very well.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
What do y'all use for power? I'm ready to move on from the Onespot daisy chain to a real board with a dedicated power supply.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
skip the bullshit and just go straight to something high like the voodoo labs stuff

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

skip the bullshit and just go straight to something high like the voodoo labs stuff

This. I bought a PP2+ and realistically won't have to think about a power supply again. Invest in one of the big reputable ones and the rest is history.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

This. I bought a PP2+ and realistically won't have to think about a power supply again. Invest in one of the big reputable ones and the rest is history.
nope, I'm in that place now ("a PP2+ should be enough for anybody!") and I can't power my Flashback Triple Delay so I need to buy some loving stupid thing now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

nope, I'm in that place now ("a PP2+ should be enough for anybody!") and I can't power my Flashback Triple Delay so I need to buy some loving stupid thing now.

All you need is a doubled power cable. Plug it into the Triple Delay and the other two ends into plug 5 and 6 it should work fine. I've had no problem powering 300ma pedals like that. It will handle up to 500.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

All you need is a doubled power cable. Plug it into the Triple Delay and the other two ends into plug 5 and 6 it should work fine. I've had no problem powering 300ma pedals like that. It will handle up to 500.
:vince: now I just need to find one of these cables

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:vince: now I just need to find one of these cables

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001J6YNBG/ref=pd_aw_sbs_23_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SSGZQPQWYJ3S07QJADYK&dpPl=1&dpID=31y4AuOvA%2BL this should be it?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
well, thank you for making me feel like an idiot! I was looking at replacing the stupid thing. now I don't have to!

edit: also I think you meant this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PPAP

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 13, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Haha don't worry about it! It's a feature that is very easy to miss since many people will never need to worry about it. The PP2+ has a few sneaky features like that for being a power supply aka the most boring piece of gear in existence.

e: oops, yeah. Sorry about that. I initially was going to link one of those but decided it had to be the other one.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Or do what I did and trade it for a PP Mondo

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kilometers Davis posted:

Haha don't worry about it! It's a feature that is very easy to miss since many people will never need to worry about it. The PP2+ has a few sneaky features like that for being a power supply aka the most boring piece of gear in existence.

Enough to make me wish I hadn't sealed mine under the top level of my pedalboard like a Poe character. :ohdear:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Just daisy chain the one spot

https://www.mrblackpedals.com/blogs...-power-supplies

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Yeah this. Fully isolated supplies aren't always better, they're just more resistant to certain specific problems. If the Onespot currently does what you need there's no reason to replace it.

If not then the posters above have you covered.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Is anyone in the UK and where are people buying patch cables?

I need some really small profile ones to Tetris my board but all the solderless options are exorbitant here. Do I have to resign myself to paying about £10~ a cable? I need 12 cables, does anywhere offer plug jacks in bulk rates?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

UncleBlazer posted:

Is anyone in the UK and where are people buying patch cables?

I need some really small profile ones to Tetris my board but all the solderless options are exorbitant here. Do I have to resign myself to paying about £10~ a cable? I need 12 cables, does anywhere offer plug jacks in bulk rates?

Grab some EBS patch cables from Thomann (or I guess Anderton's if they have them)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm reverb frustrated. I have an Afterneath, TC T2, and Digitech Supernatural. Afterneath rules and I'll probably keep it forever but it's really a weird multi delay, not a pure reverb. The T2 is nice but I only like a few settings and feel like I could definitely trade the variety for better quality. Supernatural is a modern classic but I have issues dialing in the right balance of reverb. I can never get it to be present in the way I want while also wrapping nicely around my dry tone. Similar to the T2, there are a few settings I absolutely love and a few I never use.

Should I suck it up and grab a Supermoon? I like my reverbs dreamy and spooky. Spring and room verbs are fun but when I kick on the reverb I don't want something weak and barely there. I go for that haunted cathedral sound.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I recently got a mercyfx uverbia (have an afterneath too) with the drive circuit you can go full wet with the springs and get some crazy textures, I love it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can you link that? I literally can't find it on google. Show me the secret cave and give me the entrance code plz

e: ah, it's screaminfx. Boyyyyy!!!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

There's also the Fuzzrocious Afterlife which has second reverb setting that you can use to put it into self-oscillation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVgI4ukK0M

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Oh yeah screamingfx my bad! For some reason i always want to mix it up with mercy seat not sure why.

There are some pretty rad YouTube demos of it out there

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrChu posted:

There's also the Fuzzrocious Afterlife which has second reverb setting that you can use to put it into self-oscillation

Ryan's pedals are always great. I love the seasick warble this reverb has. His family is cute as poo poo too so it's a nice feeling supporting their work. My first "boutique" pedal was actually a Grey Fuzz.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Oh yeah screamingfx my bad! For some reason i always want to mix it up with mercy seat not sure why.

There are some pretty rad YouTube demos of it out there

Haha no problem, I watched a few videos. That thing is pretty sick and I'll have to keep it on my radar.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm reverb frustrated. I have an Afterneath, TC T2, and Digitech Supernatural. Afterneath rules and I'll probably keep it forever but it's really a weird multi delay, not a pure reverb. The T2 is nice but I only like a few settings and feel like I could definitely trade the variety for better quality. Supernatural is a modern classic but I have issues dialing in the right balance of reverb. I can never get it to be present in the way I want while also wrapping nicely around my dry tone. Similar to the T2, there are a few settings I absolutely love and a few I never use.

Should I suck it up and grab a Supermoon? I like my reverbs dreamy and spooky. Spring and room verbs are fun but when I kick on the reverb I don't want something weak and barely there. I go for that haunted cathedral sound.

I ponied up for a Neunaber Immerse, zero regrets

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Along with the Neunaber Immerse and Fuzzrocious Afterlife, I like the Red Panda Context. Have you looked at that? That's my primary verb at the moment. Really versatile and I like that it can get weird too. Also, a 100% wet signal is something I'm generally a fan of for textural stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've considered both the Immerse and the Context but variety isn't something I need. I'd rather have one or two effects I absolutely love and can tweak vs 5 or 6. Options are great for some players but all I get is option paralysis. I am very into the Context though. Judging from the demos around it's my favorite sounding multi verb unit.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've considered both the Immerse and the Context but variety isn't something I need. I'd rather have one or two effects I absolutely love and can tweak vs 5 or 6. Options are great for some players but all I get is option paralysis. I am very into the Context though. Judging from the demos around it's my favorite sounding multi verb unit.

Have you checked out this dude? Think this is up your alley https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H3aD0yPxbCY

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Guys I have a problem. Still working on pedal order after moving up to a pt-pro.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Nice. My pedal board looks more like a bunch of snakes loving.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really need to finish my holeyboard. Still debating of whether I want to spray paint galaxies on it or try to freehand some Skinner/Ian Miller ripoff art all over it.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Have you checked out this dude? Think this is up your alley https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H3aD0yPxbCY

Oh hey, that's neat. It does one of the things I really about the Supernatural, maybe better.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Novum posted:

Nice. My pedal board looks more like a bunch of snakes loving.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really need to finish my holeyboard. Still debating of whether I want to spray paint galaxies on it or try to freehand some Skinner/Ian Miller ripoff art all over it.

I remember feeling that way - it actually kept me from finishing mine for just over three years. I was gonna do TARDIS Blue, or glow-in-the dark, or... Finally decided that I needed a board ASAP because my wah wouldn't click on without sitting on a hard surface and it was getting super annoying. Knowing any cool paint job wouldn't survive, I figured the most important thing was to protect the wood from the filth, beer, and bodily fluids it would be exposed to in the shitholes we play. I went out to the hardware store and bought a can of eggshell white latex+primer, and slathered that poo poo on as thick as I could... two coats. Afterward, I had to use sharp objects to open the holes back up before attaching the pedals and peel/sand off lots of tiny paint bits. The thing is hideous, but absolutely does what I want.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: oops, yeah. Sorry about that. I initially was going to link one of those but decided it had to be the other one.
bless you, I spent $7 for a cable and a bunch of starlight mints and now my delay pedal doesn't turn off anymore

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

bless you, I spent $7 for a cable and a bunch of starlight mints and now my delay pedal doesn't turn off anymore

I don't see the problem here

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrChu posted:

I have this pedal and it's aaaamaaaaazziiiiiing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Thorpe posted:

Guys I have a problem. Still working on pedal order after moving up to a pt-pro.

Spill the beans, what's to the right of the POG?