Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jose Oquendo posted:

What movie is young Hopkins from?

West World, the HBO series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GrandpaPants posted:

West World, the HBO series.

I guess I need to re-watch it because totally forgot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hopkins is the go-to guy nowadays if you want an old man to spout nonsense about robots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZhsL3vV8M

marshmallow creep posted:

Why don't they just give up and make all these movies full CG? Some of them are almost there anyway. Star Wars and comic books don't need live actors.

There was a review of Empire Strikes Back in 1980 that asked why Lucasfilm did not just make the whole movie animated.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 13, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

8one6 posted:

I love how action movies now solve the actors face problem by printing up super accurate latex masks of the actors.

Get the Hyperflesh guy on the horn!

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/freakishly_realistic_masks_of_trump_putin_and_kim_jong_un_for_sale_on_ebay

though lol at his classic 2000ad website

http://www.hyperflesh.com/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ruddiger posted:

There's always going to be things that rub people wrong with cg faces. Young Kurt Russell in Guardians has old Kurt Russell's small old man teeth

that was almost entirely makeup (i figured it was cgi when i saw it tho).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thanks to the AliExpress thread I learned that there's an entire market of creepily detailed realistic tiny heads of celebrities.

Only $22!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nobody tell Griffin McElroy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snooze Cruise posted:

Nobody tell Griffin McElroy.

Yes. Just send it unsolicited to his PO Box

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Young Michael Douglas in Ant Man was pretty good but Undead Peter Cushing looked like poo poo

I thought he looked about as good as he could with current technology, but the impression of his voice was loving poo poo. It's Peter Cushing, he has a really distinctive voice, and there's a ton of recordings of it. There's probably enough to construct every line in Rogue One.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy Mann posted:

Thanks to the AliExpress thread I learned that there's an entire market of creepily detailed realistic tiny heads of celebrities.

Only $22!

I need this to finally have Chev Chelios action figure.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Stake or the 120 Days of Sodom

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

This though was a good example of recognizing the weakness of the CG character and only showing him for brief periods of time. I was shocked when they kept Zombie Cushing on the screen, wondering if they really had believed it was good enough to show for extended periods of time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Can't wait for the amazing hideous demon of young Johnny Depp this summer

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Can't wait for the amazing hideous demon of young Johnny Depp this summer

Jumping The 21 Seas

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Antti posted:

This though was a good example of recognizing the weakness of the CG character and only showing him for brief periods of time. I was shocked when they kept Zombie Cushing on the screen, wondering if they really had believed it was good enough to show for extended periods of time.

The only explanation for this I can think of is that they want to feature Zombie Cushing prominently in future projects. So we've got that to look forward to.

I didn't even mind him that much, but his inclusion gave me the uneasy feeling that there's a Tarkin movie in planning, prequel or sidequel or whatever. Or it'll be revealed that he's the big holographic dude from TFA.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

I need this to finally have Chev Chelios action figure.

You joke but that's pretty much the entire reason they exist, people making their own custom action figures.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Jumping The 21 Seas

This looks videogame levels of bad. It's not like Sparrow is defined by his facial structure anyway. You could've found some vaguely handsome younger guy and just decked him out in all that poo poo and the audience would get it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This looks videogame levels of bad. It's not like Sparrow is defined by his facial structure anyway. You could've found some vaguely handsome younger guy and just decked him out in all that poo poo and the audience would get it.

There is this kid from Fear the Walking Dead that looks A LOT like young Johnny Depp, I forgot his name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy Mann posted:

You joke but that's pretty much the entire reason they exist, people making their own custom action figures.

I wasn't joking. I own this, which is a "custom" limited run bootleg toy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite thing about CGI Tarkin in Rogue One is that they used a facial mold made for Top Secret! as a reference point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYTVl0iOkk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

My favorite thing about CGI Tarkin in Rogue One is that they used a facial mold made for Top Secret! as a reference point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYTVl0iOkk

That scene made me think "is this a callback to Twin Peaks" for a hot second before I remembered it's more likely to be the other way around.

I've only recently seen Twin Peaks and only seen Top Secret! a few days ago but still I felt stupid for thinking it.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

got any sevens posted:

Thanks for the info!

I'm just curious why they didn't try to have tarkin mostly in shadow or something, both to hide the iffy effects and to make him more sinister. Malcom McDowell had some scenes in Tank Girl (it was probably a stand-in with dubbed lines) where his character was pacing in the dark and it worked fine for a villain.

It's completely the decision of the producers and director of the film. Disney wanted Tarkin in full glory. Before any VFX work had even begun, Gareth Edwards had filmed Guy Henry's Tarkin performance (with final lighting and dialogue) and delivered the plates to ILM. The VFX studio have to match the CGI lighting to the plate, and the director has to ultimately approve it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Is there a "baby in a baby carrier" accessory?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

21 Muns posted:

I agree that Undead Peter Cushing looked like poo poo, but I thought that the couple-second-long shot of Fake Carrie Fisher at the end worked excellently, and it's confused me since then to find that some others have the opposite opinion.

I don't think they were that all that different in quality but the Leia shot at the end was so much worse because that was the last shot of the movie. Dodgy effects during a movie are one thing but having a fake face deliver the final bit of dialogue left a bad taste in my mouth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

I don't think they were that all that different in quality but the Leia shot at the end was so much worse because that was the last shot of the movie. Dodgy effects during a movie are one thing but having a fake face deliver the final bit of dialogue left a bad taste in my mouth.

There was something about her cheekbones that made her look like she was holding back a gallon of projectile vomit.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

There was something about her cheekbones that made her look like she was holding back a gallon of projectile vomit.

Watching that was a real headfuck and then having Carrie Fisher's poor coked out heart fail on a plane and then Disney's PR were all "we won't disrespect her by using CG in future movies"

It was more jarring than JarJar is what I'm saying.

nu Vader > Tarkin > Leia

And Vader was kind of lovely. Except at the end when he owned that hallway fight.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lobok posted:

And we wouldn't want fake faces anywhere near Hollywood, California.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of Pirates:

https://twitter.com/PaulMcCartney/status/863455385440727041

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:stare:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

What the gently caress is that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

#Pirates"Life"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Jerry Seinfeld to direct Disney's next "Pirates" franchise sequel

A headline I wish existed ^^^

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
John: I am the Kraken

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Woof Blitzer posted:

Sea Movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

Pirates Of The Caribbean But Every Time A Ship Tries To Sail They Get Swarmed By Bees.

It's a huge crisis in a seafaring society.

whydirt posted:

Sea Movie

The Pirates are getting sued, and no one can defeat them because they have no legal training. Then Jack Sparrow reveals a surprising secret from his past...

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

whydirt posted:

Sea Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFY1cjt2yM

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

got any sevens posted:

John: I am the Kraken

The Kraken was Paul.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did Keith Richards turn them down or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Hey, he was already married to a woman with a peg leg

• Locked thread