Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I last played this game when Mechanical Bosses were the end tier (I thought supposedly work had stopped on it back then). I started it up again recently and drat there's a lot of new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I played this for about 30 minutes in 1.1 before i got bored and moved on to something else. Picked it up again last week after being disappointed with starbound and holy crap this is a cool game.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Terraria is as good as Starbound is bad, thus it is very, very good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

funmanguy posted:

I played this for about 30 minutes in 1.1 before i got bored and moved on to something else. Picked it up again last week after being disappointed with starbound and holy crap this is a cool game.

Where could they even go with a sequel?

Seriously, I have no idea. Remove the garbage period/PMS jokes during Blood Moons and axe contact damage and that's all I could think of to improve it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

RareAcumen posted:

Where could they even go with a sequel?

How about Terraria... in space?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eela6 posted:

How about Terraria... in space?

Ok tiy. Sounds good.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Starbound could've just been Terraria in Space and they'd have been set. They so fundamentally failed to understand what made Terraria good (or even what they wanted to be) that it was a real tragedy. So much possibility squandered.
Terraria 2 could go many different ways, but one thing Starbound did very right was moddability. If there were a game as moddable as Starbound but as fundamentally good as Terraria I could see being hooked for a long, long time.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
We've already got a thread aaaaaaaaalllllllllllll about Starbound. :v: (dont go there)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

I last played this game when Mechanical Bosses were the end tier (I thought supposedly work had stopped on it back then). I started it up again recently and drat there's a lot of new stuff.

And seriously, the amount of new blocks and building materials in the game now is crazy. Back then there was like maybe 1/50th of the building options. Now I can finally personalize my NPC rooms around as much as I'd like to.

Not totally happy with it and it is a work in progress, as I'm committed to getting everything legit with no save-editing or mods or anything, but it feels good to be building again. Mostly it's hard to get all the paintings I want.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
That looks very cool. Now replace everything that's not pumpkins with pumpkins

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

And seriously, the amount of new blocks and building materials in the game now is crazy. Back then there was like maybe 1/50th of the building options. Now I can finally personalize my NPC rooms around as much as I'd like to.

Not totally happy with it and it is a work in progress, as I'm committed to getting everything legit with no save-editing or mods or anything, but it feels good to be building again. Mostly it's hard to get all the paintings I want.

I did something similar a couple of years ago, I'm surprised I still had the screenshots knocking about.

Never got around to decorating it properly so it looks a bit drab.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Sonovabitch, they still never fixed the picture mode so that backgrounds change based on biome.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Also, is the Old One's Army stuff just silly OP for the event stuff? I was reading up on the Pumpkin Moon and expecting a real challenge attempting it Pre-Moon Lord, but with a full set of Valhalla Armor I just kinda breezed through it solo, got to the final wave easily and essentially flew in circles facetanking about 6 Pumpkings while my arena + summons + sentries just murdered everything.

Edit: Now I have 11 Pumpking trophies.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 11, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

Also, is the Old One's Army stuff just silly OP for the event stuff? I was reading up on the Pumpkin Moon and expecting a real challenge attempting it Pre-Moon Lord, but with a full set of Valhalla Armor I just kinda breezed through it solo, got to the final wave easily and essentially flew in circles facetanking about 6 Pumpkings while my arena + summons + sentries just murdered everything.

The moon events and Duke Fishron are largely obsolete these days. Any post-Golem content trivializes them and a lot of things available after Plantera can get through them with some effort (like the Terra Blade).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The moon events and Duke Fishron are largely obsolete these days. Any post-Golem content trivializes them and a lot of things available after Plantera can get through them with some effort (like the Terra Blade).

Duke Fishron is still pretty good. The homing razorpool spell he can drop is very good for clearing the garbage mobs in events, but other than that it's a bit meh.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

The Blizzard Staff at least is pretty fun. Not sure if I'm willing to put in the effort to farm truffle worms and attempt Duke Fishron. Maybe I'll just item edit that after I beat the Moon Lord.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I meant mostly from the standpoint of the fights themselves. They're only relevant for a very brief window now.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I meant mostly from the standpoint of the fights themselves. They're only relevant for a very brief window now.

It does seem like they're pretty easy to bypass and cheesing Martian Madness is basically the easiest way to skyrocket in power Post-Golem.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Are they planning anymore updates to Terraria basic? The last update was pretty nice, and I feel like they could still stretch it out a little further until the next game. Starbound is beyond the point of lost cause.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

Are they planning anymore updates to Terraria basic? The last update was pretty nice, and I feel like they could still stretch it out a little further until the next game. Starbound is beyond the point of lost cause.

Apparently 1.3.5 had to be broken up into smaller parts and there's been some hints at a 1.4 expansion with "a form of creative mode" later down the line.

Some business rag interviewed Red and Cenx the other day and apparently a third of Terraria's lifetime sales have been in the last 18 months so they're more than willing to keep putting out updates.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 13, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think they should take advantage of having gotten rid of their old console/phone porters to work on unifying the content and enabling crossplay between all modern platforms.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

I think they should take advantage of having gotten rid of their old console/phone porters to work on unifying the content and enabling crossplay between all modern platforms.

That won't happen because there's platform exclusive content beyond just the mobile endgame filler.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

The wiki suggests more updates are in planning. It has a list of upcoming features (Spider furniture set, new female NPC, statue-flipping) for 1.3.6. Dunno if that list is comprehensive, probably not.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:lol:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Hey, how else are you going to know if you're in the desert or not?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

dis astranagant posted:

Apparently 1.3.5 had to be broken up into smaller parts and there's been some hints at a 1.4 expansion with "a form of creative mode" later down the line.

Some business rag interviewed Red and Cenx the other day and apparently a third of Terraria's lifetime sales have been in the last 18 months so they're more than willing to keep putting out updates.

I've been wondering how they can keep pushing out content without charging for it.

I bet that's why they've been sitting on Terraria 2 for so long. No need to sink the ship if it still floats.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually kinda cool if entirely pointless

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've been wondering how they can keep pushing out content without charging for it.

I bet that's why they've been sitting on Terraria 2 for so long. No need to sink the ship if it still floats.

No reason to do a Terraria 2 if they can keep doing updates for Terraria which sell as many $ of copies as a Terraria 2 would.

Trippy. Also, shouldn't you rehost that on imgur? Or is cursecdn.com basically the same?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 14, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I've had a lot of fun with the game for a few weeks. Its starting to feel boring so I am diving into mods. The mod chat from a few pages back has been helpful. Anything I should be mindful of?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ambaire posted:

No reason to do a Terraria 2 if they can keep doing updates for Terraria which sell as many $ of copies as a Terraria 2 would.

Trippy. Also, shouldn't you rehost that on imgur? Or is cursecdn.com basically the same?

People don't really care as much about image leeching these days, but of course you're still on the hook if someone does a "hilarious" source image swap or whatever

edit: also that keyboard looks p cool and I've never really cared about flashy keyboards before. I think it's that it highlights the WASD and other relevant keys, which is a fun idea.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

funmanguy posted:

I've had a lot of fun with the game for a few weeks. Its starting to feel boring so I am diving into mods. The mod chat from a few pages back has been helpful. Anything I should be mindful of?

The more big dumb do everything mods (Thorium, Calamity, Spirit, etc) you put in the harder you'll have to look for content from any given one.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Doing that will also make loot runs much harder, since you'll have way more unique drops competing for your inventory space.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

YF-23 posted:

Doing that will also make loot runs much harder, since you'll have way more unique drops competing for your inventory space.
I wonder if it's possible to mod in things like a flying safe version of the money trough, and more containers like the piggy bank and safe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I wonder if it's possible to mod in things like a flying safe version of the money trough, and more containers like the piggy bank and safe.

There's a mod that lets you combine chests into one giant searchable mess. Kind of a pain to use since they put in a bunch of silly progression but you could just use cheatsheet to give you the good stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

There's a mod that lets you combine chests into one giant searchable mess. Kind of a pain to use since they put in a bunch of silly progression but you could just use cheatsheet to give you the good stuff.
I was specifically talking about the two containers you can carry around in your inventory to effectively increase your carrying capacity, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I was specifically talking about the two containers you can carry around in your inventory to effectively increase your carrying capacity, though.

I think that has one that you can carry in your inventory to access the whole mess if you set it up right.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ambaire posted:

The mods don't really have a problem with it if the site that's hosting it can handle the bandwidth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If the hosting site has "cdn" in its name it's probably built to handle the load.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I think that has one that you can carry in your inventory to access the whole mess if you set it up right.
Okay that sounds useful. What's it called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Okay that sounds useful. What's it called?

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/magic-storage.56294/

Looks like remote access is a bit of a mess right now but a truely portable version is on the todo list.