Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

It's interesting that 5 swerves so heavily away from school social links compared to the previous games. No sport clubs, no culture clubs, no random weirdo student friends; even Mishima doesn't feel like a school social link since you basically never interact with him there. I think it works out really well; for me the confidants in 5 feel way more diverse than 3/4s, even though a lot of them follow very similar arcs to each other. And of course it reinforces the narrative that the MC is isolated at school.

I liked not having to deal with clubs/school activities since it's closer to my real exp on how even though I spent x hrs in class, not EVERYTHING is tied back to my HS. Hence even though the Hawaii trip was dull I'm glad it didn't have the same entire Kyoto/Hot Spring repeat events.

Also, I'm always going to be hoping for a college/work Persona which will never happen but dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NRVNQSR posted:

It's interesting that 5 swerves so heavily away from school social links compared to the previous games. No sport clubs, no culture clubs, no random weirdo student friends; even Mishima doesn't feel like a school social link since you basically never interact with him there. I think it works out really well; for me the confidants in 5 feel way more diverse than 3/4s, even though a lot of them follow very similar arcs to each other. And of course it reinforces the narrative that the MC is isolated at school.

I noted this too, and it reinforced that overall they're not social links, they're confidants. They're not (at the start) your friends, but you're in a mutually beneficial relationship. They help you further your phantom thief abilities (in addition to the persona fusion power) and you provide some service to them (medical guinea pig, insider info, etc.) Even your party members have to form an official deal with you. You have to help them, and they'll help you with something. It made sense with some, but it felt a bit too impersonal with others.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What rank do you need for Devil before you're no longer in danger of "losing her trust" if you don't respond to her invitations? It's a nice source of Charm, but I'm not really feeling it otherwise and unlike Mishima, the advantages aren't all that, uh, advantageous. Managing Alert level is probably the least difficult part of running a Palace. (If she kept it from maxing out after you sent the card instead, I might change my mind--the 3rd Palace killed me 6 times because I'd win a fight, then have another instantly spawn right on top of me and die to the subsequent ambush.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rangpur posted:

What rank do you need for Devil before you're no longer in danger of "losing her trust" if you don't respond to her invitations? It's a nice source of Charm, but I'm not really feeling it otherwise and unlike Mishima, the advantages aren't all that, uh, advantageous. Managing Alert level is probably the least difficult part of running a Palace. (If she kept it from maxing out after you sent the card instead, I might change my mind--the 3rd Palace killed me 6 times because I'd win a fight, then have another instantly spawn right on top of me and die to the subsequent ambush.)

You can leave her alone forever if you want. Confidants aren't that strict.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah confidants don't break or reverse, apparently earlier in development they had that but took it out

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah confidants don't break or reverse, apparently earlier in development they had that but took it out

I'm glad for this. I've only read about how that can happen in P3 but it sounds like a really bad mechanic for a game where days are limited.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Goodguy3 posted:

I'm glad for this. I've only read about how that can happen in P3 but it sounds like a really bad mechanic for a game where days are limited.

It can happen with like 2 links in P4 too, but you have to really gently caress up with them and pick incredibly stupid choices.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In the expansion they really do need to have a scene when Sae comments on the fact that you are banging her sister.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can leave her alone forever if you want. Confidants aren't that strict.
Good to know. I already assumed I'd have to drop a couple to finish the ones I like since I haven't been going out of my way to optimize my time. Probably going to cut her off once I hit Charm 3. Evening time is tight as is, since you lose your shot at it after anything Metaverse related and Coffee Dad is really goddamn stubborn about moving from rank 3 to 4. (I know there's a Kindness requirement at some point in his Link, but I'm at Kindness 3 already.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rangpur posted:

Good to know. I already assumed I'd have to drop a couple to finish the ones I like since I haven't been going out of my way to optimize my time. Probably going to cut her off once I hit Charm 3. Evening time is tight as is, since you lose your shot at it after anything Metaverse related and Coffee Dad is really goddamn stubborn about moving from rank 3 to 4. (I know there's a Kindness requirement at some point in his Link, but I'm at Kindness 3 already.)

You'll need Kindness 5 later in his link. His rank 4 is just plot locked and takes more points to get to than any other link in the game to hide that a bit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rangpur posted:

You'll need Charm 5 if you want to finish Makoto's Confidant. If you don't care about that feel free to ignore Charm.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Goodguy3 posted:

It's cool, actually. It can only happen if you either don't talk to someone for three straight months, or two time people you're dating (which admittedly is every woman your age by defualt in P3but you can still make it work as long as you balance it properly)

It and the more intense broken slink (where you can't even use personas from that arcana till you fix the relationship) were cool ideas because it means that slinks have literally any sort of consequence to them. Instead of just a visual novel that you read to break up the dungeon crawling that comes with some minor perks.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Zore posted:

You'll need Kindness 5 later in his link. His rank 4 is just plot locked and takes more points to get to than any other link in the game to hide that a bit.
That'd do it. So, uh, when does it plot UNlock?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rangpur posted:

That'd do it. So, uh, when does it plot UNlock?

Rank 4 isn't plot locked; Rank 5 is and requires you be after Palace 4.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. Well since you apparently can't gift him anything, or invite him anywhere, is it more effective to hang out with him or to show off your coffee-making prowess while he's out? (I assume the notes over his head mean you can progress towards the next stage by practicing what he showed you at the coffee siphon.)

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Huh. Well since you apparently can't gift him anything, or invite him anywhere, is it more effective to hang out with him or to show off your coffee-making prowess while he's out? (I assume the notes over his head mean you can progress towards the next stage by practicing what he showed you at the coffee siphon.)

The best option is to get him up to Rank 4 with coffee/hangouts and then use Fortune's Rank 7 ability to boost him the rest of the way.

Fortune's Affinity Reading is an absolute godsend and should be one of your biggest priorities in your quest to Make All the Friends.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Working on clearing the Mementos request that (I assume) unlocks it. Can you use the confuse trick to steal money from the boss of this one? I need to make that 100,000 yen back so I can buy an SP regen patch from the doctor.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

darealkooky posted:

It's cool, actually. It can only happen if you either don't talk to someone for three straight months, or two time people you're dating (which admittedly is every woman your age by defualt in P3but you can still make it work as long as you balance it properly)

It and the more intense broken slink (where you can't even use personas from that arcana till you fix the relationship) were cool ideas because it means that slinks have literally any sort of consequence to them. Instead of just a visual novel that you read to break up the dungeon crawling that comes with some minor perks.

No broken SL were bad and I'm happy all the modern Personas don't feature them at all. Joker is a very busy boy and he needs to use his time efficiently even if it means ignoring you for 4 months straight for fishing.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I just finished the game yesterday and I'm really excited to start doing ng+ runs to see what can be different. Also on my first run the only person I wasn't able to max out was the Empress link, was only able to get that one to rank 4. I do love how stylish and well done everything was.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"This mementos boss confusion thing is nbd, I don't get the fame"

XXXXX threw away 40,000 yen

:stare:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Get a persona with high enough luck and they'll start tossing 150-200k a turn.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheLoser posted:

Get a persona with high enough luck and they'll start tossing 150-200k a turn.

It is genuinely ridiculous how much money they can drop.

Does mean you get to go nuts with Gallows vanity projects though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xarbala posted:

It is genuinely ridiculous how much money they can drop.

Does mean you get to go nuts with Gallows vanity projects though.

Yeah, and that's really the only reason to do it. And that's a perfectly good reason, mind you, because seeing what kind of horrifying monster Personas you can slap together in the Velvet Room is a lot of fun

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

This was a thing

Ugh

How is it that I don't discover this stuff?

What exactly do I need to do this? Which boss will it work on?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
What are the odds that the Guardian shows up on a non-rain day? In early December and it's one of my last trophies.

I've been using this to track the weather: http://www.neoseeker.com/persona-5/walkthrough/December_20XX. It hosed up for me on the 3rd because it didn't start raining till overnight.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

corn on the cop posted:

What are the odds that the Guardian shows up on a non-rain day? In early December and it's one of my last trophies.

I've been using this to track the weather: http://www.neoseeker.com/persona-5/walkthrough/December_20XX. It hosed up for me on the 3rd because it didn't start raining till overnight.

Just make a save and reload to that if the Guardian doesn't show up. It seems to be pretty common and both times I've tried to catch it it was there. If you've read the fishing guide from Shinjuku you'll be able to use Third Eye at the fishing pools and you can see it's a long golden fish that only shows up on the seventh fishing attempt per session.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Annnd that's officially a wrap on Palace #3. It's July 9th, all social stats are at 3, and I've opened all available confidants to this point except the airsoft proprietor. I want all party members at the point where they can do follow-up attacks, but Makoto is the only one that's left. After that I want Guts 4 so Morgana will finally shut the gently caress up whenever I need to unload vendor trash. I'm assuming Hermit, Empress & Za Warudo are plot-locked but other than those 3 it looks like I have all the Confidants available.

I feel like it's better to have a wide variety of S-Links sooner than a smaller number of high ranks, so that you'll always have someone to work on regardless of weather, date or plot. Or maybe it isn't, I honestly have no clue. But it worked alright for my first playthrough in Persona 4.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I got like three fusion accidents in one day yesterday while I was trying to fulfill Strength requests, but I'm finally at Rank 7 with them. Now I won't need to bother with them for Mementos for a good long while

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Post Palace 7 That Ryuji death fakeout scene ruled more than it has any right to

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Post Palace 7 That Ryuji death fakeout scene ruled more than it has any right to

It's a good scene. Starring a good dude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ometeotl posted:

And he got laid the gently caress out :stare:.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Alder posted:

No broken SL were bad and I'm happy all the modern Personas don't feature them at all. Joker is a very busy boy and he needs to use his time efficiently even if it means ignoring you for 4 months straight for fishing.

Ai's link in Persona 4 can break if you agree to date her the first time she asks and then tell her you need some time apart when she asks if you can go back to just being friends

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You know, from Sae's perspective it must sound like you're just non-stop trolling her. "Let me get this straight. You owe your career as a master criminal to a fortune teller, a sloshed reporter on the 'funny animals' beat, and a shogi player who makes airplane noises and explosions with her mouth whenever she moves a piece."

"Also a talking cat, hook-nosed jailer I see in my dreams, his tiny sassy twin wardens, and your sister. Who I totally boned. Wait, have I gotten to that part yet? Oooh, sorry. Spoiler warning."

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 13, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Instant Grat posted:

Ai's link in Persona 4 can break if you agree to date her the first time she asks and then tell her you need some time apart when she asks if you can go back to just being friends

It can also happen if you tell Naoto she's on her own. That's pretty much it though.

Rangpur posted:

Annnd that's officially a wrap on Palace #3. It's July 9th, all social stats are at 3, and I've opened all available confidants to this point except the airsoft proprietor. I want all party members at the point where they can do follow-up attacks, but Makoto is the only one that's left. After that I want Guts 4 so Morgana will finally shut the gently caress up whenever I need to unload vendor trash. I'm assuming Hermit, Empress & Za Warudo are plot-locked but other than those 3 it looks like I have all the Confidants available.

I feel like it's better to have a wide variety of S-Links sooner than a smaller number of high ranks, so that you'll always have someone to work on regardless of weather, date or plot. Or maybe it isn't, I honestly have no clue. But it worked alright for my first playthrough in Persona 4.

More or less. It's actually remarkably easy to run out of day links for instance on a given day if you max out Death and Tower too early, since all the daytime links other than them are from the Phantom Thieves and they're usually not available a week before deadlines or right before exams. Having a couple party members at high ranks doesn't hurt, I've had times where Protect saved my bacon.

Hermit and Empress open up with the plot yes; Empress is the last one that opens up. Tower becomes available sometime in September.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, it's not like Sae is taking this all too seriously herself.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rangpur posted:

You know, from Sae's perspective it must sound like you're just non-stop trolling her. "Let me get this straight. You owe your career as a master criminal to a fortune teller, a sloshed reporter on the 'funny animals' beat, and a shogi player who makes airplane noises and explosions with her mouth whenever she moves a piece."

"Also a talking cat, hook-nosed jailer I see in my dreams, his tiny sassy twin wardens, and your sister. Who I totally boned. Wait, have I gotten to that part yet? Oooh, sorry. Spoiler warning."

"So you move around Mementos inside of your cat"

"Well, he turns into a car first"

*throws up hands* "Of course, it was so obvious, why didn't I realize it"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"So you move around Mementos inside of your cat"

"Well, he turns into a car first"

*throws up hands* "Of course, it was so obvious, why didn't I realize it"

"It's actually more of a minivan, or a bus."

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Running through the game on NG+ merciless mode

skill cards are nice to have for my bff Arsene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Grat posted:

Forgot what happened in my Persona 4 run, but Ai broke when I hang out with her and Yukiko (who I was dating) saw us and I choose her over Ai. Don't think I even dated Ai, think it was just one of the Sunday hang out events.