Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

singateco posted:

3) It's hard to feel like I'm responsible for my actions in video games, because you don't have true freedom of choice.

this horror conversation keeps drifting perilously close to philosophy chat, but you don't have this irl either; games are actually more like reality in this way than ppl usually admit imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Sorry for my poor choice of words. I didn't mean humans have free will irl, humans totally don't. I meant more in a way there are a lot more contexts in real life situations, and you can do some truly weird poo poo than video games usually allow

Like that ghost lady part in Witcher 3 was real cool, but what if I just took a dump in front her? she might be real angry and reveal her true nature, I don't know

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the true horror was the friends we made along the way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, horror in games, at least of the visceral shock kind, is pretty hard to execute beyond basic sensory jump scares because it's harder to manage the experience. If you die over and over at the same event, for example, the artifice is quickly revealed and it begins to feel more frustrating and absurd. And if the scenarios are managed so it feels like you might die but you actually can't in order to keep the tension high, that kind of artifice can become easily revealed too. It's why I don't really care for games like Amnesia or Alien Isolation.

Now body horror and existential dread, games could play a lot more with those than they have

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This has to be a troll, but I can't help but marvel at it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This has to be a troll, but I can't help but marvel at it

World of Warcraft introduced non-alcoholic virtual booze you can drink during the alcohol-themed in-game holiday Brewfest, which appears to have been implemented for the sake of muslim players with strong beliefs. I mean I don't drink myself and don't begrudge anyone who won't do so because of their faith, but I'm pretty sure most major religions tell you not to murder people and you do that an awful lot in WoW.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
James Sunderland didn't win

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He gets a hot new surrogate wife

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I always spend a short amount of time in any game where you hunt animals seeing if it's gonna be at all viable to play it without doing so.

It's usually not because upgrades are locked behind it so I just shrug and give in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Where is new Cabela's game make a new Cabela's game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I always spend a short amount of time in any game where you hunt animals seeing if it's gonna be at all viable to play it without doing so.

It's usually not because upgrades are locked behind it so I just shrug and give in.

I always try to go 100% nonlethal if games will let me and I usually end up having a terrible time because of it because it's either way harder or just plain unfun because the option was added as an afterthought.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Re: horror, I had a conversation with a classmate of mine a few months ago about scary games. He said that he can handle scary games no problem but horror movies slay him because he can't control the pace and action, which he can do with games. I thought he had it backwards, that horror movies are no problem because there's no personal agency on your part so you can sit back and enjoy the action, while games punish your character and, by extension, you if you fail at something. It was an interesting conversation, but maybe you had to be there

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I always try to go 100% nonlethal if games will let me and I usually end up having a terrible time because of it because it's either way harder or just plain unfun because the option was added as an afterthought.

I did have a lot of fun playing Alien Isolation this way.

Of course literaly every person dies in that game anyway, but hey at least I didn't kill 'em.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

He gets a hot new surrogate wife

His hot surrogate wife is also going to die

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nah sometimes a cough is just a cough

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

His hot surrogate wife is also going to die

Sometimes winning is temporary at best

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Nah sometimes a cough is just a cough

Not in Silent Hill.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Petition to rename Silicon Valley to Soylent Hill

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The canon sh2 end is he disappeared in silent hill and never came back

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

corn in the bible posted:

So, In Water, which I believe also counts as "not winning"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So the ending where he kills himself is probably the canon one then. Where's the part where he didn't win

edit: Alternatively the ending where he leaves Silent Hill with the little girl is the canon one and he just starts a new life because yknow he did kill his wife and all, in which case he did not win because now he has to look after the most annoying child in videogames

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

So the ending where he kills himself is probably the canon one then. Where's the part where he didn't win

edit: Alternatively the ending where he leaves Silent Hill with the little girl is the canon one and he just starts a new life because yknow he did kill his wife and all, in which case he did not win because now he has to look after the most annoying child in videogames

Fartface!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

actually the canon ending is that he went to silent hill vita with his buddy heather

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The canon SH2 ending is the dog ending, I thought we all understood this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

The canon SH2 ending is the dog ending, I thought we all understood this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIovnejnjLU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myeDeblTato&t=14s

Homecoming's UFO ending wasn't even a hidden unlockable, it was entirely possible to get it on your first time if you made the right story choices.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did it first time to get the laser gun for a hard mode run I never bothered finishing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always felt like In Water felt like the truest ending to SH2 and it's the first one I ever got before I knew there even were different endings. I think I got it because I ritualistically examined everything in my inventory and always would go in the exact opposite direction of where the plot was leading me so that I wouldn't miss anything.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Really Pants posted:

the true horror was the friends we made along the way

I always knew Nier:Automata was a horror game at the core.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I always felt like In Water felt like the truest ending to SH2 and it's the first one I ever got before I knew there even were different endings. I think I got it because I ritualistically examined everything in my inventory and always would go in the exact opposite direction of where the plot was leading me so that I wouldn't miss anything.

It's actually pretty cool and deliberate that probably everyone got the In Water ending the first time because the stuff that triggers it is stuff that almost every new player is going to do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I hope and pray there's posts like this for Puyo Puyo games where you play arcade games with Satan

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Presumably this is what happens when a kid who wasn't allowed to play Pokemon reaches adulthood.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They should play one of the SMT games where you actually kill the christian god

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

It's actually pretty cool and deliberate that probably everyone got the In Water ending the first time because the stuff that triggers it is stuff that almost every new player is going to do.

I always assumed Leave would be the most popular because if twitch streams are to be believed, most gamers are not thorough at all and will just follow the story while skipping dialogue barely examining anything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

wizard on a water slide posted:

The Silence of the Lambs is ostensibly a horror film about a serial killer. Clarice Starling defeats the main antagonist, Buffalo Bill, and rescues his last victim. But Hannibal Lecter escapes from custody, and Clarice will carry scars from what happened for the rest of her life, because Buffalo Bill isn't really the monster in The Silence of the Lambs.

Having read Hannibal I do have to say this sentence misses the mark slightly. :v:

It's a valid point though. Video games are ostensibly about "winning" but it's really the writing and setting that determine how successful the player is, and even success is still not always a good thing in the scope of the broader narrative.

Good horror games tend to have your goals be something short term like "don't get your rear end killed" even when overall nothing really goes well for the player at any given time. It does feel like a little bit of a cop-out when the ending is "turns out despite getting killed being a game over before this time it's the ending!!!" but it still can work depending on the strength of the writing and scenario.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm 6 hours into Prey and that pulsating effect/colour fade out during combat is insufferable. Doesn't help that I've been fighting the same two enemy types either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

Alpha Protocol was great for this as long as you weren't playing on Hard.

Jay Rust posted:

Presumably this is what happens when a kid who wasn't allowed to play Pokemon reaches adulthood.

i had some pretty bad hang-ups after reaching adulthood because my parents were a little too nuts about jesus so yeah it is

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 13, 2017

• Locked thread