Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
If Jason kills a weapon equipped counselor, can he pick up said weapon?

Or does he have a separate pool of weapons that he uses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dalaram posted:

If Jason kills a weapon equipped counselor, can he pick up said weapon?

Or does he have a separate pool of weapons that he uses?

Each version of Jason has a unique weapon they use. Varying speeds of attacks, reaches, and moves. They can't switch weapons

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can't pick up his weapon or his mask either.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The issue with weapons in Beta was that the stats were never really defined so people had no idea what they did. If you didn't have high luck all grabbing a weapon does pretty much is calm your character down, so they're less scared and won't make as much noise for Jason to home in on. Characters with high luck and weapons can actually stun Jason and they should really be the only ones making a swing at him
The only expectation was that the bat had the best chance to stun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The issue with weapons in Beta was that the stats were never really defined so people had no idea what they did. If you didn't have high luck all grabbing a weapon does pretty much is calm your character down, so they're less scared and won't make as much noise for Jason to home in on. Characters with high luck and weapons can actually stun Jason and they should really be the only ones making a swing at him

i don't think any councilor has both high strength and high luck (well, probably excepting Jarvis, but he doesn't count). the only 2 i see with over 5 str is adam and buggzy, both with 2 luck. was luck really important for attacking jason?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 12, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can't pick up his weapon or his mask either.

You can't pick up the player Jason's weapon, but you can get into Jason's cabin and take his matchete which is apparently really really drat strong but if you go into his cabin he's alerted and will probably teleport right back to the cabin to get you.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

BeigeJacket posted:

Yes, I'll be down for goon Jasons slamming an axe into my head.

Going back to the map chat from earlier - do we know what the other two maps will be? Are they all summer camp themed?

The three maps will be:

Packernack (sp?) lodge
Camp Crystal Lake
Higgins Haven

So yes, all movie / summer camp themed. The lodge layout was re-constructed from the movies, as the real one was torn down.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Coolguye posted:

i don't think any councilor has both high strength and high luck (well, probably excepting Jarvis, but he doesn't count). the only 2 i see with over 5 str is adam and buggzy, both with 2 luck. was luck really important for attacking jason?

Luck increases the chance of you actually stunning Jason if you hit him, better weapon durability, and gives minor buffs to lots of other stats while strength gives a bonus to the damage an attack does and how fast they recover from a swing of a weapon while giving a bonus towards stunning Jason. A lucky character has a better chance of stunning Jason on one swing while a strength based one can swing more times increasing the likely hood of stunning. However because Jason's grab has priority a strength character should run interference and be like a guard, only attacking when someone is grabbed because they can get more swings off. In a chase a luck character is more likely to get that one hit stun off. Remember it's movie logic; the jock gets killed one on one with Jason every time while the lucky guy gets a good shot in yet when Jason is about to kill someone the jock saves them just in time!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

Your weapon had a good chance to break with low luck, yes. However attacking Jason is only viable if he's got someone by the neck and about to kill them. It was the safest and most effective way to attack him - and then you would run. As such, one swing was all you really needed / wanted. Anyone who stuck around to try to "cover" each other more than one grab usually wound up dead. That, and you drop your weapon if Jason picks you up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

haha what i'm reading from that is that the dorky looking guy with a sweater around his shoulders is probably a better fighter than buggzy just because who the absolute gently caress wants to stick around and brawl with jason

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Coolguye posted:

haha what i'm reading from that is that the dorky looking guy with a sweater around his shoulders is probably a better fighter than buggzy just because who the absolute gently caress wants to stick around and brawl with jason

Laws of the Slasher Flick: The cocky jock who goes toe to toe with the killer gets rekt

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

You can't pick up the player Jason's weapon, but you can get into Jason's cabin and take his matchete which is apparently really really drat strong but if you go into his cabin he's alerted and will probably teleport right back to the cabin to get you.

So, certainly early on and probably for quite some time, you should be able to bait someone into going for the Shank of Voorhees and give yourself more time to fix the car/phone. :unsmigghh:

Are the bear traps set to friendly-fire, or do they affect Jason only?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, certainly early on and probably for quite some time, you should be able to bait someone into going for the Shank of Voorhees and give yourself more time to fix the car/phone. :unsmigghh:

Are the bear traps set to friendly-fire, or do they affect Jason only?

Bear traps definitely effect counselors, I've run into one while trying to run from Jason and... well, you can guess how that went.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

s.i.r.e. posted:

Bear traps definitely effect counselors, I've run into one while trying to run from Jason and... well, you can guess how that went.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I was in a Private Match with an Australian guy and a flamboyant homosexual from San Diego.

In one round, I placed a bear trap by the police exit, near a choke point. After we escaped, the Australian guy (running from Jason) stepped right into it and got his crotch/neck chopped in half within sight of the police. He called us "wankers" as we laughed at him.

The next game, Mr. Australia finds a shotgun and seeks me out to exact his revenge. He misses and hits the gay guy instead, who calls us "faggots" non-ironically.

10/10 - best multiplayer experience in my life.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The dumb poo poo about my experience is that I laid that bear trap.... :smith:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

s.i.r.e. posted:

The dumb poo poo about my experience is that I laid that bear trap.... :smith:

It was a good spot you laid it in, nobody can take that from you.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Is there an imposter skin for Jason? It might be kind of cool in some games If they introduced an imposter instead of/as well as Jason.
He could have similar powers like teleportation etc but is a lot weaker and can be more easily taken out by humans etc also he attracts Jason whenever he makes a kill/is killed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

why would that be a thing in a game about jason voorhees

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

why would that be a thing in a game about jason voorhees

Because one time that happened in the movies. Gotta have every sequel represented!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

what movie was that in? i am honestly clueless to this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

what movie was that in? i am honestly clueless to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th:_A_New_Beginning

The fans were not pleased.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Will be getting this day one and am down with a goon room.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I've already preordered and would love to play with goons.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
A short clip of our goon private match:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Hey guys,

I just want to say thanks for reading the thread and I value your thoughts, opinions, questions, and input. I look forward to playing with you all and enjoying this very fun game - as well as future discussions of mechanics and strategies to improve our play and have even more fun playing. Even when we are Jason, we should all remember to have a good time and that there are no hard feelings.

I say this because I just wandered over to the DbD thread.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That looks bad. If Friday the 13th heads for that direction, they should have a perkless setting defaulted to on.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You gotta make your own fun in DBD after a certain point.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The counselors in the virtual cabin sure look scary as hell, especially jock dude and eyelash guy. Not sure if that's intended or not...

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I almost bought that Dead Before Dawn game a few weeks back when I first became aware of Friday XIII and just COULDN'T WAIT any longer to play survival horror co-op.

What's the issue with DbD exactly?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

BeigeJacket posted:

I almost bought that Dead Before Dawn game a few weeks back when I first became aware of Friday XIII and just COULDN'T WAIT any longer to play survival horror co-op.

The game itself isn't too bad, and can be fun. But the community is just awful awful. People don't play for fun, they play for spite.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The community is pretty garbage in it and the perk system has been a nightmare for balance issues to the point where if you aren't running certain perks you're at a disadvantage

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why is a disadvantage a bad thing?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BeigeJacket posted:

Dead by Daylight is a lesson in terrible game design, there's no fail state for the killer he's always in play but his objective it to put the survivors into positions where all gameplay is removed from the player controlling them. You can get taken down and all you get is a slow crawl but you can't get back up without another survivor picking you up so you're basically useless. Then if you're hooked you can't do anything except wait for death or someone to save you, there is a way to get off but it relies hugely on luck and almost never works. Other than that the survivor gameplay comes down to lovely QTEs for most of the game.

Also there's so many loving perks it's literally impossible to balance so the devs more or less don't give a poo poo to do so. The game is "designed" as a competitive game rather than just for fun but with so much luck involved (and it plays a huge part) and poor balance it's ridiculous that anyone takes it seriously but most of the community does and it's toxic.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Are there any perks to preordering at this point or should I wait to see if it has optimization issues like literally every game ever now?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

weekly font posted:

Are there any perks to preordering at this point or should I wait to see if it has optimization issues like literally every game ever now?

No reason to preorder unless you want to play immediately. Might as well just wait.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

weekly font posted:

The performance you can expect to see is in chart form in the OP.

I thought the game ran fine, my biggest technical gripe in beta was the quick match connection issues. (Frequent D/C's) They managed to work through most of that by the end of beta, however.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Happy Mother's Day, Pam!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
This is going to be the longest week in my life. I was also told I have to work 2nd shift all next week and through next weekend. I am not happy and will be a very scary Jason as a result.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Movie had inexplicable Tommy Jarvis kung fu, movie was fine

Will this game have inexplicable Tommy Jarvis kung fu?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

DeathChicken posted:

Movie had inexplicable Tommy Jarvis kung fu, movie was fine

Will this game have inexplicable Tommy Jarvis kung fu?

Your Tommy Jarvis will:
  • Be granted to the least skilled player.
  • Appear late-game when Jason is incredibly powerful.
  • Run around ineffectually until they encounter Jason.
  • Fire their shotgun at Jason at the first sight of him, with a ~50% accuracy rate.
  • No longer have their shotgun when it is needed.
  • Die.

Your Tommy Jarvis will not:
  • Kung Fu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Snapping Jarvis like a twig is definitely going to be extremely satisfying for any fan of the movies. That dumb gently caress is responsible for like hundreds of deaths.

• Locked thread