Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neon light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
This movie lacked imagination.

We've seen nebula and gamoras relationship before.
We've seen the son get the hope up for the long lost parent only to be disappointed.
We've seen the rogue who learns that his real family are his friends

Why are they playing the will they won't they star lord and gamora? Didn't they do this in the first movie? This is still happening in an interesting way for them to devote multiple scenes in the sequel to? Does anyone think they won't get together?

There are no surprises. Everything that's going to happen is explicitly laid out for you. Yondu bemoans not getting a celebration, he gets the celebration. This happens again and again and again.

I can't believe the battery thing was what set off the whole movie. Rocket is money hungry but not stupid. He's extremely smart and tactically that just wasn't worth the risk and I can't believe it was what propelled the movie.

Leaned way too hard on dancing groot and music "cues" (though they felt less like cues this time around and more just like background music.)

Also them sneaking out of the jail cell was corny as gently caress. If the gang knew there was a spare why wouldn't they hide it? Or at least have a guard for groot and yondu/rocket?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the ravagers weren't a particularly smart bunch. their leader is named taser face.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The CGI for people freezing in space was really bad.

I don't know why but that's stuck with me the most after seeing the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldfishStew posted:

This movie lacked imagination.

We've seen nebula and gamoras relationship before.
We've seen the son get the hope up for the long lost parent only to be disappointed.
We've seen the rogue who learns that his real family are his friends

Why are they playing the will they won't they star lord and gamora? Didn't they do this in the first movie? This is still happening in an interesting way for them to devote multiple scenes in the sequel to? Does anyone think they won't get together?

There are no surprises. Everything that's going to happen is explicitly laid out for you. Yondu bemoans not getting a celebration, he gets the celebration. This happens again and again and again.

I can't believe the battery thing was what set off the whole movie. Rocket is money hungry but not stupid. He's extremely smart and tactically that just wasn't worth the risk and I can't believe it was what propelled the movie.

Leaned way too hard on dancing groot and music "cues" (though they felt less like cues this time around and more just like background music.)

Also them sneaking out of the jail cell was corny as gently caress. If the gang knew there was a spare why wouldn't they hide it? Or at least have a guard for groot and yondu/rocket?

Find me a wholly original idea that has never been done ever once before.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I for one liked that the movie hinged on a raccoon stealing a small shiny thing it had no use for.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Question. What if I see something that I wanna take and it belongs to someone else?

Then you will be arrested.

But what if I want it more than the person who has it?

Still illegal.

That doesn't follow. No, I want it more, sir. Do you understand me? What are you laughing at? What? I can't have a discussion with this gentleman?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Whole lotta pages just to say it's a good movie.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Find me a wholly original idea that has never been done ever once before.

Where did I demand it be wholly original? That's a steep request you're making. I'd be satisfied with stories, even old ones, being told in new or interesting ways.

For fucks sake, at least don't rehash 2 stories from the first film (gamora/sister + gamora/will they wont they).

Gamora and her sister could be cut out of this movie, along with the gold people, and nothing would be changed. Groot, too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Does this break a Marvel record for on screen murders? It was pretty brutal for a Marvel film in that regard.

Enjoyed it. Love Awesome Mix 2. My father in law died two weeks ago and boy was it a good thing my wife couldn't come with me to see this.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Woof Blitzer posted:

Whole lotta pages just to say it's a good movie.

:same:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Lol it's not though. It's spectacularly worse than the first. They just made a regular Marvel movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah. since i dislike most of the marvel movies and really liked this one your post doesn't hold up.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol it's not though. It's spectacularly worse than the first. They just made a regular Marvel movie.

As a Comic Book Movie Ambivalent American who's watched 5 or so Marvel movies, all while drunk late at night, this one was qualitatively different and much better than any of the other ones I've seen.
poo poo, Kurt Russell's character alone was more interesting and compelling than every other marvel villain I'd seen combined.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This movie exhibits many of the same sorts of weaknesses that always tend to crop up in Disney's current fan-pleasing, franchise-driven Marvel/Star Wars output, but the characters and story are both just strong enough that it becomes something more than the sum of its parts. Overall I really enjoyed it and even found it genuinely emotionally affecting at times (especially Yondu's reconciliation with Quill and their final acknowledgment of each other as father and son). It's not a Great Film, it and has some significant weaknesses in a purely filmic sense--particularly, like always, when it comes to all those incoherent, slapdash action sequences--but I like it enough that I feel little desire to heap even any deserved scorn upon it, which is a relative rarity for me.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Gamora wasn't even featured in a lot of the merch that would show all the guardians. Like on many shirts, it was just groot, rocket star lord and Drax.

And they somehow reduced her even more in this movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How is Peter going to get the 3rd volume of Awesome Mix now that he doesn't have a tape player and he already listened to both his mom's mix tapes? Will Grandpa Quill introduce Peter to the majesty of Now That's What I Call Music?

GoldfishStew posted:

Gamora wasn't even featured in a lot of the merch that would show all the guardians. Like on many shirts, it was just groot, rocket star lord and Drax.

And they somehow reduced her even more in this movie.

Marvel skimping on merchandise featuring the ladies in their product? What a surprise.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm glad Disney is still making fun movies that aren't a chore to watch like Star Wars.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Gyges posted:

How is Peter going to get the 3rd volume of Awesome Mix now that he doesn't have a tape player and he already listened to both his mom's mix tapes? Will Grandpa Quill introduce Peter to the majesty of Now That's What I Call Music?

Zune, dude.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my favorite music cue was when the sovereign show up in the core and wham bam shang a lang starts up again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Gyges posted:

Marvel skimping on merchandise featuring the ladies in their product? What a surprise.

He'll come to Earth and mainline 80s nostalgia from the source.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

my favorite music cue was when the sovereign show up in the core and wham bam shang a lang starts up again.

"Soup! Soup!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Maybe Danny will give Peter his old iPod at the end of Secret War. Outcast would make some great space music.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Watched it again and man I know its probably my bias as a wrestling fan but I love Dave Batista as Drax, there is something really relatable in how blunt he is and how he is very prone to either hiding his true emotions or overcompensating.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

Much like whoever was complaining about the cursing earlier - he's a raccoon, of course he steals poo poo just because it's there, it's what they do. Not saying it's perfect, but no real belivability problem on that point for me.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I get that I just think it's an odd choice to base a whole film's story from and plus like someone else mentioned it ended their careers.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Obviously he has self control. He's not stripping the Milano or robbing random people of their jewels on the street.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

So I went and saw this today. I'm not very cantankerous or old yet so I didn't get very mad at the goofy nature of the opening. Honestly it's a movie that I think I enjoy more than the first, but it's not without issues.

I feel like Ego's heel turn was poorly written. One moment' he's kind of an aloof dude that lives up to his name that's probably a bad dad, and within minutes he becomes really loving evil without much characterization to go on, this makes no god damned sense, and it follows the trend of these marvel movies having really suck-rear end villain driven stories where the villains really fail to live up to their potential as concepts. Then the reveal about Ego killing Quill's mother was, while pretty shocking and powerful as a moment, it's a big part of the problem, symptomatic of this anemic good guys vs the villain plot Disney seems utterly unwilling to diverge from

Overall I'd rate it a 7/10 kind of movie. I had a lot of fun but drat that third act was kind of a let down.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Why does Ego need Quill? Because one is not enough but for some reason two may be? And he cant just make a clone, he has to make a child, wait for them to age, and then see if they have the power? He wasn't even actively checking or looking for his kids, he was waiting for them to show themselves?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, he was having them delivered by Yondu, who rebelled.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Why does Ego need Quill? Because one is not enough but for some reason two may be? And he cant just make a clone, he has to make a child, wait for them to age, and then see if they have the power? He wasn't even actively checking or looking for his kids, he was waiting for them to show themselves?

did you fall asleep during the movie.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

Why does Ego need Quill? Because one is not enough but for some reason two may be?

Kurt Russel literally says this.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There wouldn't be a movie if he didn't need Quill.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

No, I watched the movie, it just seemed to only make "script" sense and not, uh, actual sense...if that makes sense.

Dude has the power to create an entire world but oh no! He's just one child short, he assumes, for some reason, and that if he could only have a child (that he cant create from nothing like he does everything else, for some reason it needs to be part human?) he'd finally be able to do what he wanted to do, which, I guess, was just be everything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he was disappointed by all the life he encountered and realized that his true purpose was to make everything him (his name is Ego). it turned out that the human offspring was the only one that had his powers, he didn't plan that out. hence all the corpses underground.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just realized the Mary poppins reference was not random at all.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

(that he cant create from nothing like he does everything else, for some reason it needs to be part human?)

This might be the core of your problem and not how I understood it. Consider the power of Ego limited, and sure he can create things in singular while focused on it, but his power wasn't enough to engulf every planet in the universe at the same time. He needed more celestial power, Peter's humanity is not part of the equation. He doesn't even need Peter as an entity, he just needs him as a battery.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ego states that he can only control the matter around him. He doesn't create things from nothing. That's why it took millions of years just to create his planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You wouldn't freeze in space anyway . It makes visual sense tho . That's what counts .

• Locked thread