Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Bucswabe posted:

For real though... I remember that part in Endgame. Does anyone have an explanation for how Voyager got inside the Borg sphere? Was there a scene cut for time or something?

I haven't seen it in a while but I thought the sphere was getting closer and closer to Voyager and started opening its hole/port then it faded to black or changed scenes but I could be wrong. Still though why take in the ship when you could destroy it and/or take shields down them beam over Borg to assimilate or beam away 7 of 9 and then destroy it.

Either way the badass armor, torpedoes, and giving the Borg a little credit when they eventually adapt and punch through it was cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tyson Tomko posted:

I haven't seen it in a while but I thought the sphere was getting closer and closer to Voyager and started opening its hole/port then it faded to black or changed scenes but I could be wrong. Still though why take in the ship when you could destroy it and/or take shields down them beam over Borg to assimilate or beam away 7 of 9 and then destroy it.

Either way the badass armor, torpedoes, and giving the Borg a little credit when they eventually adapt and punch through it was cool in my book.

I love the armor and torpedoes too :allears:. Shame about the rest of the two-parter though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

The only good Star Trek novel is a DS9 one where Quark backs Odo in a poker tournament (Riker couldn't make it, btw). I forget why, but it was a fun read.

There's another good TOS novel which ends with a pie fight.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That scene where Data force-brushes the android kid's hair with gel-slathered stiff bristle brushes always looked painful as gently caress. Data even switches to pantomiming instead of brushing halfway through because its clear he's tearing out clumps of the kids hair. Where were the legally required child actor welfare agents to insist on switching to a simple space-comb?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shadow puppet of a posted:

That scene where Data force-brushes the android kid's hair with gel-slathered stiff bristle brushes always looked painful as gently caress. Data even switches to pantomiming instead of brushing halfway through because its clear he's tearing out clumps of the kids hair. Where were the legally required child actor welfare agents to insist on switching to a simple space-comb?

Signing him up to star in Robocop 2, probably.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

It makes a terrible tearing noise too it's bugged me since it first aired

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

There's another good TOS novel which ends with a pie fight.

It's this one. It's trippy enough that it would have been a good TAS episode

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

We need to bring back above-belly high pants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They're part of Starfleet's future uniforms, according to All Good Things and Endgame.

And, in Endgame at least, look terrible as all hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're part of Starfleet's future uniforms, according to All Good Things and Endgame.

And, in Endgame at least, look terrible as all hell.

Pretty much all the future designs that we see in TNG, Voyager and Enterprise are unbelievably terrible, both ships and uniforms.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Timby posted:

Pretty much all the future designs that we see in TNG, Voyager and Enterprise are unbelievably terrible, both ships and uniforms.

It's because they have to toss together some models/outfits for one episode so they aren't going to spend the several thousand dollars per uniform/model that the regular series gets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Timby posted:

The way they're worn in Endgame makes everyone look like they're pottering about a nursing home in cliche old-people clothes.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Star Trek costuming in general is really bad outside of some uniforms. The civilian clothes in particular are always embarrassingly bad.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the one with the white turtleneck was the best,

and also whatever Bones was wearing in TMP

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

powerful sex moves posted:

Star Trek costuming in general is really bad outside of some uniforms. The civilian clothes in particular are always embarrassingly bad.

Someone in this thread described the DS9 out of uniform look as space peasant. Seems accurate.

Quark dresses like a space hobbit tho.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Wasn't he basically wearing what Frakes wears on that planet run by the ladies?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I actually like the DS9/TNG Movies uniform, it looks reasonably grounded/professional with the division colours reduced to the undershirt and cuff stripes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

the one with the white turtleneck was the best,

Disco-era leisure clothes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

There's a bit in Preston Neal Jones' Return to Tomorrow (an exhaustive, 700-plus-page book about the making of TMP) in which Wise and Robert Fletcher talk openly about how they had no idea what to do with the costumes because Roddenberry's edicts kept changing -- which is part of why Kirk goes through like a half-dozen uniforms in the movie.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

powerful sex moves posted:

Star Trek costuming in general is really bad outside of some uniforms.

It never surprised me that ribbed leatherette shoulder and wool turtleneck Picard started knife fighting minutes after first showing up on the scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It never surprised me that ribbed leatherette shoulder and wool turtleneck Picard started knife fighting minutes after first showing up on the scene.

Considering they shot that episode in a canyon in the middle of July, that costume must have been hotter than hell.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Anytime I see one of these uniforms my brain instantly goes, "why did they make a star trek movie about christmas again" and just checks out.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Timby posted:

Considering they shot that episode in a canyon in the middle of July, that costume must have been hotter than hell.

Hotter than a Tarnesian lava flea!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

revolther posted:

Anytime I see one of these uniforms my brain instantly goes, "why did they make a star trek movie about christmas again" and just checks out.

Those were the best uniforms, though. Second best is the tng movies/late ds9 black with grey shoulders.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Universe Master posted:

Those were the best uniforms, though. Second best is the tng movies/late ds9 black with grey shoulders.

With the color coming from the undershirt? That's a crisp look.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I actually dug the Enterprise uniforms quite a bit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Anything with pockets is pro tier uniform.

naem
May 29, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Edit: Don't forget the USS Pizza Cutter Enterprise-J

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Look at that glorious profile.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Timby posted:

what in the hell

that looks like poo poo

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Timby posted:

These are both huge mistakes but how was that costume ever acceptable even with Jake's bus seat outfits existing? it's like they forgot to make something and threw it together in an hour.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

It always gets me that she was the only fan of Star Trek before getting her job, but once she landed the role she spent the next few years prancing around in space corsets and hating the male producers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Picard's casual wear are the best costumes

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Timby posted:

The Enterprise J looks like hell because it's hard to picture the scale.

The guy who designed it was told to design a distant future Enterprise, and he said that the reason he used long thin nacelles was to emphasize futuristic super hard materials being used, and the reason the saucer looks so this is that it's supposed to me super massive. It was supposed to be a multi-generational ship that people would love their entire lives on. It was supposed to hold several universities and several cities within the saucer.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Picard's casual wear are the best costumes

Ha ha ha. No.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Bucswabe posted:

For real though... I remember that part in Endgame. Does anyone have an explanation for how Voyager got inside the Borg sphere? Was there a scene cut for time or something?

The first mission in Elite Force 2 explains it. Maybe or maybe not canon?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

This uh.... this is a photoshop made by a creepy neckbeard trek fan right

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

Nerds with elastic waistband jorts are doing their part.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When Picard showed up wearing that 10 year old me got really confused about when the captain got a new uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

criscodisco posted:

The Enterprise J looks like hell because it's hard to picture the scale.

The guy who designed it was told to design a distant future Enterprise, and he said that the reason he used long thin nacelles was to emphasize futuristic super hard materials being used, and the reason the saucer looks so this is that it's supposed to me super massive. It was supposed to be a multi-generational ship that people would love their entire lives on. It was supposed to hold several universities and several cities within the saucer.

Why the gently caress would you fly a school into battle? Imagine sitting in class then all of a sudden you are floating in space because your rear end in a top hat captain got the ship blowed up.