Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
What is ever explained how the containment breach actually occurred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It isn't a coffee up, it's a red thermos. That is what got me the first time around.

Dr. Calvino spoiler: If you keep watching one of his videos from the correct pane of glass, you can see him pick up the thermos and look around all suspiciously after the other scientist leaves. And then open the hidden door. At first I thought he was supposed to be an alcoholic.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 13, 2017

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Luminaflare posted:

It's definitely not possible. One of the side quests requires repair to get to a broken satellite.

You can mimic your way under that hatch, iirc

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The pacing in this game is pretty bad if you take the time to explore random areas instead of powering through the main quest. I'm 6 hours in and just entered Psychotronics and have like 15 of those Psi recharge packs without anything to use them on, I also have no suit mods other than the one that comes with the release DLC and have also been fighting the same two enemy types for the whole game. I was pretty annoyed when I got that side quest prompt for finding the body at the start of the game and spent a while trying to do it only to find out I'd come across it naturally while doing the storyline.
The combat is also pretty bad and all those visual effects during it are an awful idea even if they're there to increase what little horror the game has.

I kind of have to agree with GameSpot's review so far. The things I like about this game Dishonored does much better.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

GUI posted:

have like 15 of those Psi recharge packs without anything to use them on,

The best psi ability is a human one available from the very start of the game though

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The thermos was under the stairs you came in, on the floor under the looking glass. Total bitch to find.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

GlyphGryph posted:

The thermos was under the stairs you came in, on the floor under the looking glass. Total bitch to find.

Weird - it was on a toolbox in my run.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i found it completely by accident and realized it must be important since it had a unique name

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think people who miss that it's the thermos must have not realized that you can watch the scene from different screens.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Palpek posted:

I think people who miss that it's the thermos must have not realized that you can watch the scene from different screens.

Even then, a thermos is not a coffee cup, they are two different things. I understand that it's somewhat semantics, but it's important when the entire lab is littered with actual coffee cups.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Palpek posted:

they also might've done what i did and stopped paying attention to the video halfway through because i thought the important bit was over

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
About Volunteer 37 I tracked him down to an escape pod below the Bridge. He lured me into the pod and tried to kill us both with a recycler grenade. Is that all there is? Is there any way to keep him alive?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

In the same room theres a note about he ordering a machine that trigger a mechanism at exactly some weight.

I was already testing weights before watching the video

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kurzon posted:

About Volunteer 37 I tracked him down to an escape pod below the Bridge. He lured me into the pod and tried to kill us both with a recycler grenade. Is that all there is? Is there any way to keep him alive?

No, even if you disarmed the trap it still ends basically the same way

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Skipped from way back in the thread because I wanted to finish the game before I read too much further, and now I'm done.

I enjoyed it. I don't think I totally grasp all the nuances of the story, but I look forward to replaying this a bunch, in a way that I haven't with Deus Ex or System Shock. I definitely think I can get all the achievements, its just a matter of time. The next game I'm looking forward to is Destiny 2 in September, but E3 might change that.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

How far am I from the end? I've just rebooted the reactor, and my main objective is to go find Alex in the Arboretum. I've explored pretty much the entire station except for the Bridge.

Also, the enemy density is starting to ramp up. If it keeps up this trend, would this be a decent time to go find all the crew members, the caches, the treasure hunts etc before it gets worse?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The story is a lot better than anything from the Bioshock games. Better characters, better presentation of plot points.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Gato posted:

How far am I from the end? I've just rebooted the reactor, and my main objective is to go find Alex in the Arboretum. I've explored pretty much the entire station except for the Bridge.

Also, the enemy density is starting to ramp up. If it keeps up this trend, would this be a decent time to go find all the crew members, the caches, the treasure hunts etc before it gets worse?

Yes you should do all the side quests and exploring before you go do the next step in the story

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rookersh posted:

There are exactly 2 rooms with Mimic only access. One is a Medbay with no info in it near the Magnetosphere. The other is Mikhalia's Room in Crew Quarters. Her terminal emails can all be found by reading them off the terminals of people she sent them too.

Also Typhon powers clicked for me when I realized I didn't need guns because they were worthless anyway. Clearing your inventory of all the guns/not caring about picking things up for recycle made it work quite well.

Okay, Mikhaila's is the one I was worried about -- I wasn't sure reading emails from other people's terminals counted.

I guess it's bugged anyway, I got the achievement a few minutes ago and I clearly haven't read all emails. :confuoot:

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Gato posted:

Go to Deep Storage and turn off your tracking bracelet as January suggests, it will make dealing with the operators much easier if they don't know exactly where you are at all times.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Do we really need to spoiler evacuation discussion? It's like 3 whole text files, a mention in an audio log and some lore in a loading screen.

That said I did get the impression that it's the recycler tech running rampant. What I'm confused about is how the response seemed to involve attacking it with weaponry, how does that help with a deconstruction field running rampant?

That's the impression I got as well. They were probably running large scale tests with it and it just got out of hand and reduced some city into tiny little cubes of matter. The military response was probably aimed at hitting the actual generator and trying to stop it before it killed everyone

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm thinking of doing a no-psi run next time. If I scrap every psi hypo I find, will that ensure me enough bullets to get by? Because ammo is really scarce on Talos I.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kurzon posted:

I'm thinking of doing a no-psi run next time. If I scrap every psi hypo I find, will that ensure me enough bullets to get by? Because ammo is really scarce on Talos I.

You can fabricate bullets pretty easily? At least on normal I ended the game with 150 shotgun shells and 300 9mm rounds after dumping into every enemy on the station

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kurzon posted:

How do you feel about stealth skills

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

enigmatikone posted:

Go to Deep Storage and turn off your tracking bracelet as January suggests, it will make dealing with the operators much easier if they don't know exactly where you are at all times.

Ah, maybe this why I didn't have much of a problem. I deactivated mine before the quest.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Kurzon posted:

If you disarm the recycler he will finish his speech and then laugh himself to death. No, seriously, he laughs and then dies.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm in the Cargo Bay and I can't convince the woman in charge there to let me have to keycode to go after the Typhons, even though I've retrieved the fabricator plans for the turrets and have brought them a bunch of turrets. What have I missed? Where can I find the keycard that opens the door from the loading bay (where the fabricator is)?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Kurzon posted:

You can do a lot of damage by throwing things with Leverage III, although it can be kind of difficult at times since collisions still happen when you carry things and Morgan seems to hold everything at torso height.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kurzon posted:

I'm in the Cargo Bay and I can't convince the woman in charge there to let me have to keycode to go after the Typhons, even though I've retrieved the fabricator plans for the turrets and have brought them a bunch of turrets. What have I missed? Where can I find the keycard that opens the door from the loading bay (where the fabricator is)?

Did you put them in the blue box in front of the door?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Did you put them in the blue box in front of the door?

This got me last night. The turrets have to be placed completely in the blue box in front of the door.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The treasure hunt quest sure is annoying to complete, because not only do you have to navigate the notes tab in your transcribe every time you want to look at a map, you also can't look at maps outside the area you're in right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurzon posted:

Did you put them in front of the door and deploy them? You need at least 3.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I had five of them but did not know about the blue box. I hacked the door open and was able to kill all the Typhons before they could kill any humans. All I wanted was for the two idiots standing right in front of the door to get behind cover, but they wouldn't do that without their boss' orders.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
for (achievement spoiler) split affinity - do I have to start a new game over your completed save file in the same slot or can I keep slot 1 where it is and use slot 2 for my typhon only run

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I played pretty buzzed last night and now I forget where I'm supposed to go and the doors are locked and i'm at a loss.
I'm at the cargo bay and met other survivors, Cargo Bay B's doors are locked and that looks like the next part of the story. It sounds like I need to get some turrets out? I'm really dumb.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The answer is directly above you 4 times, my friend.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
whoops thanks

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lakbay posted:

Oh I should've looked harder, pistol and stun gun are cheaper to make than their ammo. Q-beam costs the same amount as its ammo

Lakbay posted:

I didn't read the patch notes, but with the exception of the shotgun, it's cheaper to make the weapon itself because you'll get the ammo AND you'll get a spare you can recycle. And usually the plan to make a weapon is cheaper than the ammo plan

This is false information. It's 'cheaper' to make the weapon because it only gives you 1 magazine of ammo whereas crafting the ammo gives 2 mags. Yes, the pickup text says the gun gives 2 mags worth, but if you check your inventory before and after, you'll see the pickup text is counting it twice. I guess this is because it's counting it once when you pick up the gun and another when it adds the ammo.

Pistol

Shotgun

Stun gun

Q-Beam

People on reddit were swearing that this was an exploit and they'd checked and it actually was giving double... I guess they didn't really check.

e. ahaha. just loaded a save at the entrance of the lobby first time and went and raided the security shotgun. Says 8 rounds, only has 4. Wonder if they just use the fabricator ammo pickup message.. that would be lazy.

VVV You checked your inventory before and after? weird. I know I checked the q-beam and it was only giving 100.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 13, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think it was fixed in the patch. Before the patch I was getting the same ammount of ammo when crafting the gun as when crafting the ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was playing just today and the game said i was picking up 200 ammo from a crafted stun gun, but i didn't bother to actually check how much it was giving me