Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I seem to be Bad at Preytm.

I've barely started though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm Good at Preytm but i keep firing it up only intending to play it for like half an hour and losing 3 hours of my life

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never did get around to playing Infamous Second Son though I bought it months ago when it was dirt cheap.

Started playing last night and just couldn't stop. It's kind of insane how perfect the Infamous games are about having collectibles and "map icon stuff" without them feeling tedious or overwhelming. Why haven't more studios tried to copy Sucker Punch instead of Ubisoft? In Second Son, you spend pretty much 100% of your playing time zipping around and pulling awesome combat tricks, and there's just enough side stuff to be meaty without being fatty.

When's the next Infamous game already?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Have you played First Light, I never got around to that but people said it was even better than SS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I played First Light 2 years ago. I can see why some would prefer it because it's exactly the same just a bit tighter and more focused/smaller. Second Son has a really likeable protagonist (big change from the first two games) but halfway through the plot is more or less just "take back the city from the bad hombres".

I don't know that I'd say First Light is categorically better especially since the Light power you use in it is only one of three power sets you have in SS, and the differences between them are well done and nicely complementary.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm looking at Agents of Mayhem, and I cant tell if it's supposed to be Saints Row 5 or Purple Overwatch. Very disappointing if it's Overwatch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The gameplay previews make it look like single-player Battleborn, and about as funny.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i think we're supposed to be nice about it because chip cheezum works at volition

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doing what?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

i think we're supposed to be nice about it because chip cheezum works at volition

Is chip still on SA or did he leave when LP exploded a while back? Lotta people left i heard

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
he finished let's play uncharted 4 like three months ago so i think he's still around

i didn't realize that lp exploded though? :confused:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

i didn't realize that lp exploded though? :confused:

A bunch of people left and went to their own self-hosted website because of lowtax/shmorky drama that was stupid and dumb

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat all the GP's in mario kart 8. I like how polished the game is. Lotta fun.

As criticism i feel like the 8 concept ( mobius logo, upside-down driving, magnetic wheels or whatever) is kinda wasted in the game when actually racing its really hard to notice that its even happening but i guess you dont want to get in the way of the players focus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

A bunch of people left and went to their own self-hosted website because of lowtax/shmorky drama that was stupid and dumb

I used to read/watch LPs on here a fair bit (well, like one or two a month). Pretty sure the first LP I ever watched was Kung Fu Jesus doing that Columbine school shooting game, which iirc was v. funny. I also enjoyed Simply Simon's informative Mega Mans, MeccaPrime's chill Zelda/Metroid stuff, the amazing Mario Party mega-thing, etc. Nowadays I just watch a few streamers, I think they're all from here (you, superherofae, couple others whose names I'm blanking on)

There actually was a point to that preamble! Recommend me a cool/funny video LP that's currently going on. I'm almost too tired/medicated to play a game on my own today :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Watch this cute couple play Mario Party, it's adorable and a comfy way to spend an evening. Also terrifying when they occasionally get competitive.

edit: Also watch dscruffy1 play Enter the Gungeon because he manages to make that game look continuously really fun somehow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BPZdd-hKA

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat all the GP's in mario kart 8. I like how polished the game is. Lotta fun.

As criticism i feel like the 8 concept ( mobius logo, upside-down driving, magnetic wheels or whatever) is kinda wasted in the game when actually racing its really hard to notice that its even happening but i guess you dont want to get in the way of the players focus

It's kind of hard to get the idea of driving upside down across with the static camera, but I like the physics changes on the antigrav sections where you are encouraged to ram into the the other racers and those posts. I seem to remember in one of the Iwata Asks for the game (RIP) they mentioned the camera wasn't originally static for the antigrav stuff and while it was visually dynamic it was really confusing to play.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why is the shield that "blocks projectiles" in nier called the "m shield" and the shield that "blocks melee attacks" called the "p shield"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
missile shield and punch shield

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

robot roll call posted:

It's kind of hard to get the idea of driving upside down across with the static camera, but I like the physics changes on the antigrav sections where you are encouraged to ram into the the other racers and those posts. I seem to remember in one of the Iwata Asks for the game (RIP) they mentioned the camera wasn't originally static for the antigrav stuff and while it was visually dynamic it was really confusing to play.

I kinda hate the spin boost thing from hitting other racers in antigrav sections. It's removes the advantage heavier characters have when ramming other cars. They should get bigger boosts from it or something.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I really like Full Throttle Remastered. The revamped art is serviceable at best (you can switch on the fly), but the restored audio is awesome, and the commentary is pretty decent too. It's not as good an adventure game as Day of the Tentacle, but I loved hearing Roy Conrad and Mike Hamill chew their dialogue in high fidelity.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

why is the shield that "blocks projectiles" in nier called the "m shield" and the shield that "blocks melee attacks" called the "p shield"

Because the projectile attacks are magic and the melee attacks are physical.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why did Ubisoft not ship an Assassins Creed last year? There is no way in hell they willingly chose to take a year off when the movie was about to give them a bunch of advertising.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Why did Ubisoft not ship an Assassins Creed last year? There is no way in hell they willingly chose to take a year off when the movie was about to give them a bunch of advertising.

They announced at the start of the year (when the movie had just finished filming) that they were taking the year off to give the franchise a bit of a rest. Syndicate had underperformed because of how bad Unity's release was, so I can see why they did it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They got pretty mediocre reviews three years in a row with Rogue/Unity/Syndicate so I don't think they really had a choice (plus i guess they wanted to do watchdogs 2)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have Unity and Syndicate lying around and never got around to either. Maybe I'll play Unity first if it's the lesser one

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That will probably burn on the series, just skip to Syndicate.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have Unity and Syndicate lying around and never got around to either. Maybe I'll play Unity first if it's the lesser one

why? just play syndicate it's good

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Trade them in for Gamestop credit and get some good games maybe.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

why? just play syndicate it's good

this, syndicate is a good game. like yeah it suffers from your regular asscreed problems of exploration bloat, weird narrative sequencing, and the ever-present modern day story where people shoot at each other while licensed music plays, but barring all that, it's a good time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What makes Syndicate good but Unity bad?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The trade-in value for Unity is less than four dollars, literally the labor involved in selling it off is more than it's worth

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

What makes Syndicate good but Unity bad?

unity is about a french guy blandly walking around while the french revolution happens; syndicate is about some cool british assassins getting a street gang together to murder the rich and burn down factories. plus you get a grappling hook!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

at one point one of the EVIL TEMPLAR GANGSTERS comes to you and says this conspiracy poo poo is boring, let's just fist-fight on top of a train to decide who gets to control whitechapel, and then you shoot him and steal his train and that's your hideout for the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

at one point one of the EVIL TEMPLAR GANGSTERS comes to you and says this conspiracy poo poo is boring, let's just fist-fight on top of a train to decide who gets to control whitechapel, and then you shoot him and steal his train and that's your hideout for the game

OK, I am installing this right now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Unity's release was a complete clusterfuck on so many levels (performance, bugs, microtransactions, lovely gameplay). Some of that has been fixed or isn't relevant, but underneath it's still a so-so game with a bad plot and a bad main character.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
unity has slow, clunky movement and combat; arno as a character is completely disengaging; the best missions are multiplayer but the interface sucked and nobody plays it anymore, and a lot of it is balanced around the assumption that you have high-level equipment; directly related to high-level equipment: a lot of the equipment is locked behind community challenges, and it takes something like an entire year to get everything, and only if your crew ranks first, otherwise it'll take 2+yrs just to not look like a loving street hobo getting one-shotted and doing plink damage to goddamn everything

also it reaches both its narrative and cinematic climax halfway through the game

syndicate has extremely snappy movement and combat--it adds the grappling gun, for one, which lets you climb to the top of a building almost instantly, and set up aerial assassinations anywhere in the entire game; the two main characters are great, if a little... overly-inspired by crappy british tv; the missions are actually fun and you can do them in almost any order (though this contributes to the game's narrative problems); equipment is only locked behind fun side activities (again, this is marred by doing things out of order, so you might start strong and unlock really cool poo poo, and then everything else is lackluster, to no fault of your own)

i liked it when it came out, but in retrospect, rear end:unit was a mistake

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i was tired of not having viva pinata so i made my own game. right now you just feed ducks at a randomly generated pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEMmqN1EQs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Make one duck a pissed off swan that tries to bite you because a raccoon took its eggs and its lashing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The French Revolution seems like such a cool setting, though. I wish that there were a good game that used that time period

• Locked thread