Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

dang you're really stung over Tannehill's position

Have you seen the shirts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

andy dalton good quarterback

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Ben's rating for the playoffs is 84, which is higher than I expected. I didn't realize he had some very good games early in his career, albeit only throwing the ball 20 times. I guess the last six years of him only being able to win games due to controversial reffing and/or the other team limping into the playoffs injured soured me on him in the playoffs.

I wish he was able to beat the Pats once in a while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The only really awful playoff games Ben has had were against the Jets in 2010 and the Seahawks in the Super Bowl (both games which the Steelers won of course, because that's how the world works).

Which isn't to say he's been really good of course, he hasn't most of the time. But he's not Ryan Lindley out there I guess is my point. Decidedly averageish.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

The only really awful playoff games Ben has had were against the Jets in 2010 and the Seahawks in the Super Bowl (both games which the Steelers won of course, because that's how the world works).

Which isn't to say he's been really good of course, he hasn't most of the time. But he's not Ryan Lindley out there I guess is my point. Decidedly averageish.

What about when the packers beat the steelers :smug:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MrLogan posted:

Ben's rating for the playoffs is 84, which is higher than I expected. I didn't realize he had some very good games early in his career, albeit only throwing the ball 20 times. I guess the last six years of him only being able to win games due to controversial reffing and/or the other team limping into the playoffs injured soured me on him in the playoffs.

I wish he was able to beat the Pats once in a while.

Unless Roethlisberger is the guy making their secondary play zone, then he isn't why they can never beat the Patriots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2PDgz4gso

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I think the real question is is Big Ben better than the Ravens who are better than all but 2 NFC teams

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Andey prob top 10 WR/QB hybrid position

Still losing to Tannehills tho

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's somewhat refreshing to see that of the qb tier arguments this offseason it is on about barely entrenched starters instead of the very top of the group.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Amy Pole Her posted:

Andey prob top 10 WR/QB hybrid position

Only because that Titan(?) completely whiffed on the tackle, otherwise Dalton might have wound up a paraplegic.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that titan only whiffed because the wily veteran quarterback, on purpose, confused him with options, which overloaded his senses, causing the play to work, in real life, amen.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Diqnol posted:

It's somewhat refreshing to see that of the qb tier arguments this offseason it is on about barely entrenched starters instead of the very top of the group.

It's because the QBs at the top are old enough that most of them will retire within the next three seasons so 1. their body of work is established and arguments won't change history 2. there's no point trying to puff up their future since there isn't one

also 3. there's been a huge influx of young quarterbacks into the league starting positions in the past four or so years

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

You literally don't watch football because it's such a blood sport yet you're ranking QBs eh?

I watched maybe 40 games start to finish last year. Normally I watch more but no more condensed versions without shenanigans. I think I saw 3 fins games last year, for example. Fins Browns, Fins Bengals and one of the Fins Bills games (October I think? It went to overtime). Tannehill still seems to me like a QB that struggles to make reads and has a low ceiling.

I'm not going away and I'm not going to participate in derailing every thread it gets brought up in. PM me if you like.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sure thing!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have nothing else to do today and I'm tired of reading about the Trump trainwreck. No particular sorting within groups. Feel free to skip this post.

---

The best of the best, these players can almost singlehandedly deliver a championship:
Brady, Rodgers, Brees

Very good quarterbacks who can pave the path to a Super Bowl but need a solid team to put it over the top:
Ryan, Newton, Wilson, Rivers

Quality, franchise quarterbacks who are responsible for far more wins than for losses, even in the playoffs, and will be part of their team's history and legacy:
Luck, Carr, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Stafford, Cousins

The next group are all pretty much equally good and any differences are nitpicks at best as of right now. They're competent enough to play quarterback well in the NFL and are assets to their team, but they won't be able to save a team's season or to push their teams forward through the playoff wall. Their effectiveness is very dependent on their coaching and teammates.

There are three distinct subgroups: players who are trending upwards every season and have a future; players who either have hit their ceiling or show few signs of large improvement in the future; and players who are declining either due to age or due to being figured out by the league. A bunch of QBs from this group will level up or level down come this autumn.

C+: Mariota, Prescott, Winston
C: Tannehill, Alex Smith, Dalton, Wentz
C-: Eli Manning, Palmer, Bradford, Taylor, Bortles

Anyone below this level are stopgaps at best and are always in threat of being replaced by a better player.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coldforge posted:

You lucky bastard.

It's a huge QoL improvement, to be honest.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Broncos revoke season ticket license from fans who sold all their 2016 tickets.

I might have missed y'all talking about this already, but as a Cowboys fan I support this move. Tired of being embarrassed by visiting teams and visiting fans as well. Maybe if more teams do stuff like this balance can be restored to stadium attendance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This seems at the same time very kind to Bortles and also selling him short.

He shouldn't be considered as high as he is is in your rankings in my opinion, but there is a small possibility that he might improve and figure things out if he ever got actual good coaching. So he shouldn't be in the same tier as the Carson Palmer's of the world who are at the rear end end of their career I guess.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

This seems at the same time very kind to Bortles and also selling him short.

He shouldn't be considered as high as he is is in your rankings in my opinion, but there is a small possibility that he might improve and figure things out if he ever got actual good coaching. So he shouldn't be in the same tier as the Carson Palmer's of the world who are at the rear end end of their career I guess.

Bortles has been as good as Eli Manning over the past two seasons and I honestly think that right now Bortles would perform as well as the other quarterbacks in that 'C' tier if he was put onto a given team and had to start a game for them. Over time? It's looking like he's not receiving the necessary coaching and it's also seeming like defenses are getting better at shutting down his tendencies.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
It's funny to me that some of you think that Ben isn't tier 2 who sometimes flirts with tier 1. He's clearly not Brady or Rodgers, but theres's been like 3, maybe 4 guys in the last 2 decades who have the physical tools to make the pass he made to win 43

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Elisha
code:
Year    G   GS  Cmp Att Pct   Yds     Avg TD  Int Rtg
2015    16  16  387 618 62.6  4,436   7.2 35  14  93.6
2016    16  16  377 598 63.0  4,027   6.7 26  16  86.0
Blake
code:
Year    GP  GS  Cmp Att Pct    Yds     Avg TD  Int Rtg 
2015    16  16  355 606 58.6   4,428   7.3 35  18  88.2
2016    16  16  368 625 58.9   3,905   6.2 23  16  78.8
As another point of comparison, here's Carson Palmer:
code:
2015    16  16  342 537 63.7  4,671   8.7 35  11  104.6
2016    15  15  364 597 61.0  4,233   7.1 26  14  87.2

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's funny to me that some of you think that Ben isn't tier 2 who sometimes flirts with tier 1. He's clearly not Brady or Rodgers, but theres's been like 3, maybe 4 guys in the last 2 decades who have the physical tools to make the pass he made to win 43

I agree, actually. For most of his career he's been what Cam Newton is right now for the Panthers, albeit with much better passing effectiveness and tools. He's getting old and I think the four I placed above him are clearly better than him right-now.

If we were making legacy rankings that took their bodies of work in account then I think it would look very different.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okay but how many of those yards and tds didn't come on garbage time for blake

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
andey dlaton is a top 10 NFL quarterback

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree, actually. For most of his career he's been what Cam Newton is right now for the Panthers, albeit with much better passing effectiveness and tools. He's getting old and I think the four I placed above him are clearly better than him right-now.

If we were making legacy rankings that took their bodies of work in account then I think it would look very different.

Fair. He's still only 34, but the middle years of his career when he got sacked 50+ times per year probably took 5 years off of his playing years

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

a patagonian cavy posted:

andey dlaton is a top 10 NFL quarterback

Absolutely not true

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Eifert Posting posted:

I won't give the NFL money. Make it with a caveat that both have to play at least 14 games and the pay out :20bux: to a charity of the other person's choosing and you have a deal.

It's not the NFL. You are going to buy me a custom shirt from RedBubble to go along with my Ryan Tannehill is a top ten NFL QB shirt.

It will say Ryan Tannehill is still a top ten NFL QB

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Blitz7x posted:

Absolutely not true

Sorry about your wrong opinion friend

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Fair. He's still only 34, but the middle years of his career when he got sacked 50+ times per year probably took 5 years off of his playing years

Yeah no one willingly and as an integral part of their game took as much punishment as Ben did when he was younger. So many times he'd just stand there and shrug off some 300 lb guy instead of getting rid of the ball early.

e: Well no one who doesn't run a lot. Cam has an argument for getting beat up that much.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah no one willingly and as an integral part of their game took as much punishment as Ben did when he was younger. So many times he'd just stand there and shrug off some 300 lb guy instead of getting rid of the ball early.

e: Well no one who doesn't run a lot. Cam has an argument for getting beat up that much.

He ran a lot when he was young too. Like, a lot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

He ran a lot when he was young too. Like, a lot.

Frequently for a QB sure, but nothing like Cam. Ben's highest rushing attempts in a season is 56 in his rookie year, Cam's lowest was last year at 90. I'm sure a big chunk of the difference is Ben handing the ball off in short yardage situations and Cam being like, the actual go to option for Carolina.

What I remember Ben doing is running around all over the place in the backfield before finally throwing when he was young. Then at some point he graduated to just hanging out in a collapsing pocket and hip tossing rushing D Linemen like it was nothing for a couple of years. Recently he plays way more like a normal QB.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like when ben runs around like crazy but can't find anyone open and forces something very bad but usually he Slangs it from there and then i don't like it at all

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Philip Rivers deserved a better organization

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
He had one for a brief moment

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

tannyhill is trash

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
andey dalden

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

andey is good, and kind, and a thoughtful lover

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Frequently for a QB sure, but nothing like Cam. Ben's highest rushing attempts in a season is 56 in his rookie year, Cam's lowest was last year at 90. I'm sure a big chunk of the difference is Ben handing the ball off in short yardage situations and Cam being like, the actual go to option for Carolina.

What I remember Ben doing is running around all over the place in the backfield before finally throwing when he was young. Then at some point he graduated to just hanging out in a collapsing pocket and hip tossing rushing D Linemen like it was nothing for a couple of years. Recently he plays way more like a normal QB.

He started off running for yardage, which morphed into noticing guys would uncover when he approached the line of scrimmage, which then morphed into the hip checking and shoulder tossing d-linemen until guys uncovered. The latter was very exciting football.

FWIW, Ben was never infected with football autism like Brady, Brees or Manning, so he never had a prayer of ascending to their heights. Up until last year, I'm pretty sure his off season consisted of drinking beer, hunting and fishing (plus rape joke here), and he has always been notoriously lax in film study. All-in-all, he's like a bigger Bret Favre with less slightly less risk-taking and INTs when you reduce it down to common denominators

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Elisha
code:
2015    16  16  387 618 62.6  4,436   7.2 35  14  93.6
2016    16  16  377 598 63.0  4,027   6.7 26  16  86.0
Blake
code:
Year    GP  GS  Cmp Att Pct    Yds     Avg TD  Int Rtg 
2015    16  16  355 606 58.6   4,428   7.3 35  18  88.2
2016    16  16  368 625 58.9   3,905   6.2 23  16  78.8
As another point of comparison, here's Carson Palmer:
code:
2015    16  16  342 537 63.7  4,671   8.7 35  11  104.6
2016    15  15  364 597 61.0  4,233   7.1 26  14  87.2

One of these players has a throwing motion like he can't decide whether he needs to scratch his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Bort threw 4 TDs with a lead or in a tie game all last year :eyepop:

• Locked thread