Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm not going to click that link because it's clickbait as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

I don't know if a white dude with a sword would have gotten the same lols, but then again that same white dude absolutely could have carried a loving glue gun without having the school on lockdown so yeah she has a point

Also this isn't a #brand

People freak out over gun-adjacent things in schools pretty randomly. 'Everyone in administration was an idiot' examples make it hard to see any racist influence.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/863482098593693696

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So is this the new liberals.txt thread now? Did everyone run out of company and brand material or something?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wait what? it seems to me that these idiots are more "encouraging" to nuts like dozezal then not. idk the paragraph is just sociological buzzwords strung together.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it was only through this subforum that i found out that rachel dolezal is the way she is because of her insane family molesting her black siblings. that's the sort of thing that should be put at the forefront of the conversation, but the people who've obsessed about her for a year are just as nuts as she is

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

All these people that say this stuff about race, privlege and sit always seem to come from upper class backgrounds.

I googled where this original post came from and it seemed to direct me to her facebook page. (I feel like a loving stalker but she had it out in the open). In said page were pictures of her traveling around the world and in general acting like some sort of rich kid.

Which seems to be a stark contrast between the world where a lot of problems within criminal justice occur. I live in a poorer neighborhood (than the country/suburb I used to live in) in the greater Cincinnati area now, and I saw someone being arrested for the first time last night. (For dealing drugs). That is privileged as gently caress statement to type btw.

It just feels like these people with their problems and issues seems to be in a different world than the people I know. This ranges from the people I see working behind the counter at a Popeye's chicken, to my coworkers that didn't attend the sort of school this person went to.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So is this the new liberals.txt thread now? Did everyone run out of company and brand material or something?

we go through stages. peaks and deep dark valleys

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I ate some girl scout cookies today, manufactured by keebler, bought to support the girl scouts of the usa because it is a progressive organization.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Control Volume posted:

I ate some girl scout cookies today, manufactured by keebler, bought to support the girl scouts of the usa because it is a progressive organization.

Thought this was talking about the weed strain at first and got real confused

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait what? it seems to me that these idiots are more "encouraging" to nuts like dozezal then not. idk the paragraph is just sociological buzzwords strung together.
just the idea of calling dolezal a "cockroach" is really disturbing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

just the idea of calling dolezal a "cockroach" is really disturbing

she is nutjob and probaly an rear end in a top hat but she is harmless. I am honestly trying to understand what that paragraph was even saying.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I tried reading it and got all cross-eyed. Is it an ad for mcdonalds?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she is nutjob and probaly an rear end in a top hat but she is harmless. I am honestly trying to understand what that paragraph was even saying.

If we want to talk about "fragility" she certainly triggers alot of people

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Control Volume posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/747822549069926400

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

She, herself, personally, might be harmless, but she's currently being used by a lot of people intent on harming minorities.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 12:35 on May 14, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Don't you mean non-gender exclusive scout cookies?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

thats super dangerous and i wouldnt want a driver that's distracted by labor pains

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

thats super dangerous and i wouldnt want a driver that's distracted by labor pains

extremely turbo-lovely ceo voice]: this is why we shouldn't hire women anymore, see, our customers demand it

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Risk the lives of yourself, your currently-being-born child, and a random stranger for a $10 taxi fare.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

No

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agnosticnixie posted:

She, herself, personally, might be harmless, but she's currently being used by a lot of people intent on harming minorities.

i like her new name

Nkechi Amare Diallo has this ring to it i can't quite place

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

of loving course this quote came from The New Inquiry, the publication that gives Proud Boy CHUDs all the ammo they need to mock the left

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

of loving course this quote came from The New Inquiry, the publication that gives Proud Boy CHUDs all the ammo they need to mock the left
i always keep forgetting about that piece of poo poo site. their thinkpieces are horrible even by thinkpiece standards, and i'm pretty sure they still have a weekly column written by bad_dominicana

this NYT article from six years ago is great

quote:

Young, Web-savvy and idealistic, she and two friends — Jennifer Bernstein and Mary Borkowski — wanted to create their generation’s version of cultural criticism, equally versed in Theodor Adorno and Britney Spears. Finding contributors was easy: their social circle was filled with overeducated, underemployed postgrads willing to work free to be heard on subjects like Kanye West’s effect on the proletarian meta-narrative of hip-hop.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

i always keep forgetting about that piece of poo poo site. their thinkpieces are horrible even by thinkpiece standards, and i'm pretty sure they still have a weekly column written by bad_dominicana

this NYT article from six years ago is great

I am curious when did this poo poo start becoming popular? i want to say around obama second term. but the original source.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 18:52 on May 14, 2017

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

All these people that say this stuff about race, privlege and sit always seem to come from upper class backgrounds.

I googled where this original post came from and it seemed to direct me to her facebook page. (I feel like a loving stalker but she had it out in the open). In said page were pictures of her traveling around the world and in general acting like some sort of rich kid.

Which seems to be a stark contrast between the world where a lot of problems within criminal justice occur. I live in a poorer neighborhood (than the country/suburb I used to live in) in the greater Cincinnati area now, and I saw someone being arrested for the first time last night. (For dealing drugs). That is privileged as gently caress statement to type btw.

It just feels like these people with their problems and issues seems to be in a different world than the people I know. This ranges from the people I see working behind the counter at a Popeye's chicken, to my coworkers that didn't attend the sort of school this person went to.

They are. I think a way for the left to get out in front of these kinds of attacks (along with being the right thing to do) is open support for large scale reparations (along with repairing the rest of the damage capitalism did).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am curious when did this poo poo start becoming popular? i want to say around obama second term. but the original source.

I think that's accurate. I mean there were various echoes of that sort of poo poo happening for a long time, but it wasn't really "mainstream" thought yet, and it wasn't held by upper class whites, blacks, lgbt etc at the time.

I'm still puzzled as to how the upper class white female blogger got into this sort of stuff though. (I'm using that as a stereotype, but I'm sure the thread knows exactly what I'm talking about).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think that's accurate. I mean there were various echoes of that sort of poo poo happening for a long time, but it wasn't really "mainstream" thought yet, and it wasn't held by upper class whites, blacks, lgbt etc at the time.

I'm still puzzled as to how the upper class white female blogger got into this sort of stuff though. (I'm using that as a stereotype, but I'm sure the thread knows exactly what I'm talking about).

personaly. i think its going out of style, the shittier people are getting replaced with smarter people who actualy know how to write critical stuff and not be didactic shitheads about everything. the mix of trump winning/poo poo actualy getting bad for everyone and clinton burning out badly trying to run soley on woke stuff is probably the death knell of it. it will exist still but its going out of fashion.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

crazy cloud posted:

white fragility means that people must be praised for doing anything at all with the intention of serving as an "ally" tho no matter how asinine the argument they make or thing they do is tho so

I'm getting real sick of these pseudo-academic cultural buzzwords!!!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thinkpieces and condescending, surface-level social justice essays are still popular on a lot of sites, to the point where enough of them have transitioned to that style of writing in the past year or so. i wanna say that more people are tuning them out and they're starting to lose their effectiveness, but i thought that early last year as well and it's still going strong

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like the thinkpiece started in earnest on Thought Catalog and spread like a virus to everywhere else. somewhere down the line, definitely during obama's second term, it got mixed with Buzzfeed idpol bullshit and became what it is today. as for the "white upper class female blogger" getting into it, that's definitely a Jezebel thing

luckily, The New Inquiry has always been irrelevant

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/joss/status/863780776701284352

lol. sensitive joss whedon seems "deep" today.

get that OUT of my face posted:

thinkpieces and condescending, surface-level social justice essays are still popular on a lot of sites, to the point where enough of them have transitioned to that style of writing in the past year or so. i wanna say that more people are tuning them out and they're starting to lose their effectiveness, but i thought that early last year as well and it's still going strong

i feel like the thinkpiece started in earnest on Thought Catalog and spread like a virus to everywhere else. somewhere down the line, definitely during obama's second term, it got mixed with Buzzfeed idpol bullshit and became what it is today. as for the "white upper class female blogger" getting into it, that's definitely a Jezebel thing

luckily, The New Inquiry has always been irrelevant

true. it seems its slowly dissipating in the nerd type websites. i think many have realized all that poo poo does is turn people off their causes and give the remaining GG/alt right dickheads ammo so they have lessend it. thankfully its being replaced by good sites like waypoint and glixel who know how to write critcal pieces.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 21:40 on May 14, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
is joss whedon confessing to matricide?

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
joss "im glad my mother's dead" whedon

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

hmmmm im beginning to think your earlier posts were not made in good faith

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

here's a more accurate representation of facebook

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

When you lack a good perspective on power(because you've always had it), privilege looks just like it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

*may contain technology designed specifically to discover and exploit vulnerable emotional states for the monetary gain of unaccountable multinational corporations. Also likely contains an unending supply of picture of people's ugly and unremarkable children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grondoth posted:

When you lack a good perspective on power(because you've always had it), privilege looks just like it.

"Politician X doesn't care about P.O.C. and women"

I think it's actually far more damaging to have people like this on "our" side, than any right winger within the GOP saying stupid poo poo. It feels like they routinely cock block any sort of progress that could be made in the field of healthcare, economic, educational and justice reform with their watered down version of being socially conscience.

At least the rich rear end in a top hat "gently caress you got mine" right wingers are easy to combat and unite against. These people are pretty successful in ensuring that any sort of progress can be legitimately made by dividing people up.

also I hope I'm not steering this thread too far off course. If need be it can be moved to "mock someone".