Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah those are all superb. The Adam Strange update will always be nuts. I remember that mini coming out and I flipped out over how slick it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Almost any character named Captain Marvel has looked amazing. Also, Spider-Man has looked good in almost every costume he's had.

I'm also really fond of Flash/Reverse Flash, Daredevil, Bullseye, Juggernaut, tan or X-Force Wolverine, and Mister Miracle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't like Spidey's current costume with the glowing spider though.

The Phoenix costume is one of my favorites. Any color, they all look good. Not very fancy but a nice look.

...I guess I like body suits with logos.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Almost any character named Captain Marvel has looked amazing. Also, Spider-Man has looked good in almost every costume he's had.

I loved all of Genis-Vell's looks too. Well except for the jacket and ponytail era. That was a bad look.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is honestly my favorite look for Storm

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Estate auctions are AWESOME

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Agreed 80s punk Storm =best Storm.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Estate auctions are AWESOME

SOMEONE DIED, YOU CAD

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

literally the only good look Storm has had

Wait no I think when she was the queen of Wakanda she had some badass royal garb too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hup posted:

SOMEONE DIED, YOU CAD

Yeah and my profit share check is gonna be loving incredible.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

literally the only good look Storm has had

Wait no I think when she was the queen of Wakanda she had some badass royal garb too

Her anime outfit wasn't bad, although I mainly like it for the shoulderpad cape

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The exposed hips for no reason kills it for me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The X-Men have a lot of terrible costumes where it fluctuates between everyone having a themed uniform that really makes them pop as a team but doesn't highlight anyone, and everyone having an individual costume that is sabotaged with X motifs plastered to no end on every single belt buckle, armour joint, or clothing seam. Storm's Extraordinary X-Men one is a good example, where it's overall a decent costume using her traditional colours, but every time I see it I'm like is Storm still in the X-Men? because it's not a team uniform, but I'm reminded that yes she is because she has giant shields on her hips for no reason other than they have Xs on them, and her tool belts make an X and also her top is a cleverly hidden X and I think ok, just one of these would have been enough for a costume that isn't a team uniform. Magik's costume is the same. Colossus' I'm like why did you even bother making his shirt an X because he's wearing the traditional X-Men belt directly beneath it - at that point you're not even being clever about this, you just thought it was a great design motif and plastered it on everyone regardless.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I always feel like I have no fashion sense, as my favorite costumes are (off the top of my head):

Gambit (X-men cartoon)
The Black and Grey X-Force costumes
Batman Beyond (Cartoon Series)
Starman (Jack Knight)
Captain Marvel (DC)
Flash (Jay Garrick)
Cyborg (Teen Titans cartoon, with the blue detailing)

Also, I loved the toy of Calhoun Burns from MASK as a kid, but dear god the TV show's costume was a horror show (Referance of the toy: http://www.action-figure-supplies.co.uk/raven-with-calhoun-burns-near-complete)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

The X-Men have a lot of terrible costumes where it fluctuates between everyone having a themed uniform that really makes them pop as a team but doesn't highlight anyone, and everyone having an individual costume that is sabotaged with X motifs plastered to no end on every single belt buckle, armour joint, or clothing seam. Storm's Extraordinary X-Men one is a good example, where it's overall a decent costume using her traditional colours, but every time I see it I'm like is Storm still in the X-Men? because it's not a team uniform, but I'm reminded that yes she is because she has giant shields on her hips for no reason other than they have Xs on them, and her tool belts make an X and also her top is a cleverly hidden X and I think ok, just one of these would have been enough for a costume that isn't a team uniform. Magik's costume is the same. Colossus' I'm like why did you even bother making his shirt an X because he's wearing the traditional X-Men belt directly beneath it - at that point you're not even being clever about this, you just thought it was a great design motif and plastered it on everyone regardless.

The best version of that is the Fang of the Sun, where each member had their own unique cut and color of overalls

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RandallODim posted:

loving hell, this is the worst derail, my podcast just did an episode on favorite costumes and character designs, what are some people's favorites, I like Namor, please just can we move on

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Did Renee ever get reintroduced?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Did Renee ever get reintroduced?

In Manapul/Buccatello's incredibly mediocre Detective Comics run, yes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandallODim posted:

loving hell, this is the worst derail, my podcast just did an episode on favorite costumes and character designs, what are some people's favorites, I like Namor, please just can we move on

What's your podcast called? Sounds interesting.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SMP posted:

In Manapul/Buccatello's incredibly mediocre Detective Comics run, yes.

She's also been in like, one issue of the new Detective Comics.

I don't think there's a Question at all right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Question was in Trinity of Sins but the killed Pandora so let us never speak of this again.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I remember Pandora. What ever happened with that? It all got dropped in favor of Dr Manhattan, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

Oh man, I remember Pandora. What ever happened with that? It all got dropped in favor of Dr Manhattan, right?

She got disintegrated in Rebirth #1. Symbolic of how DC views the New 52.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mark Bagley Venom with the blue sheen is one of my favorite designs. Bagley never went and made him too bulky or monstrous while the teeth make him look like some kind of Jokerized vampire.

I'm a huge fan of Eradicator's visor design during Reign of Supermen, but his early-to-mid 00's design was the coolest. Just this ominous shadow of a being wearing a red skull cap and a more Kryptonesque version of Superman's costume. I really wish we got more out of that look.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Her anime outfit wasn't bad, although I mainly like it for the shoulderpad cape

weird hip holes aside (I guess it's a leotard with pants over it? That's weird, Storm you got some weird fashion choices) I do appreciate a nice shoulderpad cape too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I like hoodies, even though it's almost always too hot to actually wear one

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

weird hip holes aside (I guess it's a leotard with pants over it? That's weird, Storm you got some weird fashion choices) I do appreciate a nice shoulderpad cape too.

Leotard under pants isn't that unusual

Of course, it's not very common to have the leotard so high cut that it exposes the hips, but this is Storm we're talking about. Storm suddenly deciding she didn't want to show off much skin or wear clothes that have unusually placed cutouts would be pretty weird

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Samuringa posted:

I like hoodies, even though it's almost always too hot to actually wear one

Hoods are cool, Spider-Gwen has clearly the best spider-look

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's everyone's favourite example of a superhero being put in an unusual team for them? I kinda liked Namor in X-Men and I liked Beast in the Avengers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's everyone's favourite example of a superhero being put in an unusual team for them? I kinda liked Namor in X-Men and I liked Beast in the Avengers.

New Fantastic Four with Champions as a close second, but that's more the entire team being unusual? Also random dudes joining the Defenders.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr. Maltose posted:

New Fantastic Four with Champions as a close second, but that's more the entire team being unusual? Also random dudes joining the Defenders.

Spy-Universe Nick Fury joining Fraction's Defenders is something I am always heartbroken we didn't get to have more of.

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's your podcast called? Sounds interesting.

Panel By Panel. We're a quartet of English MAs who like comics and hearing ourselves talk, so we decided to put together a podcast about approaching comics with a lens of critical academic analysis. I'd recommend either the ATTITUDE ERA or EC Comics episode for what's probably our best episodes so far, but I'm very excited for the one we recorded this past week on Liz Suburbia's Sacred Heart, which is a loving stellar comic and a fantastic subject for hour-long meandering conversation. We've got another episode between now and then about our favorite B-List characters, though, so it'll be a few weeks before that one's up.

But seriously read Sacred Heart, it's so great.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 14, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Would Warlock joining the New Mutants count? I don't think anybody thought to have a mutant alien in the X-Men series before that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do you have an rss feed so I can add it to my podcast app? It sounds like something I'd be into

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't read many team books but I enjoyed Fraction's FF which is kind of a team of randos picked by the Fantastic Four.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Going to through out an opinion here: DC Captain Marvel shouldn't have a cape. I think it always looks superfluous and I don't think anyone ever really figured out the right silhouette for it. It looks better when it hangs off his one shoulder, but that doesn't necessarily work in action scenes. The fact that his collar fluctuates so much in height or even if it stands erect and finally turning into a hood just muddles a clear defined look for the character. He also already has the sash around his waist to help denote movement.

The cape looks fly on Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Beast with the Avengers, or more specifically Beast at any point paired with Wonder Man, is one of the only times I've ever like the original Beast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which Mary Marvel costume was better: the red one or the white one?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which Mary Marvel costume was better: the red one or the white one?

The black one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

The black one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless