Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hmm nah, cops are poo poo, the merciless shock troops of the ruling class and generally petty bullies besides, bureaucratic descendents of slave catchers and historical breakers of strikes and social movements who protect and serve no-one beneath the petit-bourgeois, it is good to speak ill of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I said rein it in, not stop. gently caress 'em.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hmm nah, cops are poo poo, the merciless shock troops of the ruling class and generally petty bullies besides, bureaucratic descendents of slave catchers and historical breakers of strikes and social movements who protect and serve no-one beneath the petit-bourgeois, it is good to speak ill of them

The only good thing a cop could ever do is quit their loving job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Error 404 posted:

RIP Christopher Dorner, a true American hero

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

RIP Christopher Dorner, a true American hero

:golfclap:
Well said.

Itachi
Mar 31, 2001

LORD GLOOM, YOU HAVE A SUITOR
a) acab
b) there's an intro to the IWW event on the 20th somewhere in SE Seattle, if that's something you goons are interested in: https://www.facebook.com/events/1370524253031446/

edit: full disclosure, I'm one of the local iww delegates so I have a deeply vested interest in getting people to show up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lazy_Liberal posted:

can you imagine if folks killed police for brandishing their actual guns. because I can. and it's beautiful :allears:

Yeah. ACAB. gently caress the police. Take away their guns with laws first and then string them up when they complain like little cry baby bitches.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

hey they are called law enforcement officers, not life enforcement officers

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yeah. ACAB. gently caress the police. Take away their guns with laws first and then string them up when they complain like little cry baby bitches.

calling them b words is mean though

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Venuz Patrol posted:

it is more appropriate for a police officer to take injury in the process of deescalating a situation than it is for one to commit murder in response to any potential threat. police should serve the public, not the other way around

And in the specific case of a guy brandishing a box cutter, acting like it's impossible or even very difficult to disarm them without sustaining serious injury is absurd, particularly considering other countries' police forces seem to manage it all the time, against people with larger and more dangerous weapons.

Error 404 posted:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's not as though there are hundreds if not thousands of years of combat training methods from various cultures, which might involve using hands, a stick, or a tazer, or hell even something as innocuous as steel bracelets, against a non-projectile weapon and/or unskilled opponent.

I mean when I see ads for police jobs in Eugene (or any related support positions) the standards are generally VERY low, and the pay is, frnakly, pretty damned high for my area. I recall seeing an LCS position which listed pay as 100-125k/yr. I've personally applied to more than a handful of office administrative, dispatcher, and various other positions for law enforcements orgs in lane county and the starting pay for even an unskilled paper filing position is like $21-25+/hr. And there aren't many $7k/month rentals around here.

I guess since I had to go to school and graduate and work for five to ten years to get up to close to 25/hr in my old career, it strikes me as inherently bad hiring practises and requirements, when the job also requires you not only dealing with angry "customers" but also requires you to pack a gun and fight with them on occasion.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It pays well because unions and

coyo7e posted:

the job also requires you not only dealing with angry "customers" but also requires you to pack a gun and fight with them on occasion.

that.

You really don't want to live in a country where the police are paid poorly.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Reene posted:

And in the specific case of a guy brandishing a box cutter, acting like it's impossible or even very difficult to disarm them without sustaining serious injury is absurd, particularly considering other countries' police forces seem to manage it all the time, against people with larger and more dangerous weapons.

Well, highly trained grocery store clerks are apparently better at this than the police. So there's that. http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/05/one_person_dead_another_injure_1.html

George
Nov 27, 2004

Don't forget all the stories about white people aiming guns at police and saying "I'm going to kill you" who were somehow arrested unmurdered.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

George posted:

Don't forget all the stories about white people aiming guns at police and saying "I'm going to kill you" who were somehow arrested unmurdered.

They were just exercising their second amendment rights, not like those thugs who definitely deserved to be murdered.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

ElCondemn posted:

They were just exercising their second amendment rights, not like those thugs who definitely deserved to be murdered.
The second amendment doesn't cover box cutters, so shoot away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Peachfart posted:

It pays well because unions and

that.

You really don't want to live in a country where the police are paid poorly.
But I kinda do. You should become a cop because you want to do your civic duty to society. Not because it paid better than managing the local Denny's and also didn't require you to get a management degree.

And as for "dealing with angry customers with a weapon is the job," yes, exactly. In almost any job, when a customer is upset at you, you're supposed to de-escalate the situation and then possibly make them satisfied via some finagling, or just get them out of your store. You don't get to just declare them "resisting arrest" or "behaving menacingly" and summarily take away their freedom or life, and then rely on your union and upper management and co-workers to cover your fuckups and lies.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Paying police well is an important element for keeping them from taking bribes etc. Another important thing is genuine oversight and performance standards​.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

George posted:

Paying police well is an important element for keeping them from taking bribes etc. Another important thing is genuine oversight and performance standards​.

Exactly. I didn't think I needed to spell this out. Countries that pay police poorly have bribery commonplace.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ahh, to the solution to people lying cheating and stealing is to give them more money. Why isn't it like that in any other industry, then?

And I mean let's be real, we've got plenty of dirty cops in the USA.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

Ahh, to the solution to people lying cheating and stealing is to give them more money. Why isn't it like that in any other industry, then?

I give up, why isn't it like that in any other industry?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

coyo7e posted:

I don't understand. Is your problem with the fact that the police, a union based group, get paid well? That would be very... Conservative of you. If you have an issue with how police act, well, join the club. But you are choosing a weird hill to die on.
Personally I want people who have guns and can throw me in prison to be paid well, so that they are less likely to do those things for cash. We just need them to be part of the community instead of oppressing the community.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I want police to not be so morally bankrupt that the only thing keeping them doing good is their paycheck.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Shifty Nipples posted:

I want police to not be so morally bankrupt that the only thing keeping them doing good is their paycheck.
I agree that would be great, the problem is that physical reality exists, so unless you have examples of industries that are low paid, but resist bribery for whatever reason (excluding reasons like "no one could ever care to bribe this person"), this doesn't seem like a good argument about compensation.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Shifty Nipples posted:

Isn't that the only thing keeping ANYONE from being on the take or otherwise compromising their position in order to benefit monetarily?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean its the same concept as how CEO's and Executives are generally given a significant percentage of their compensation in their companies shares, ostensibly to ensure they run the company to the best of their abilities, this does not always work out, but its the same concept. Same goes for soldiers to an extent, they dont get paid well (I am pretty sure junior enlisted make pretty close to the Federal Minimum Wage), but get metric tons of benefits far beyond what other low wage workers get with healthcare, education, housing, food etc. expenses mostly covered on the government's dime. Countries that don't pay their soldiers tend to suffer from military coups or like the USSR post cold war just sells their equipment to random arms dealers for pennies on the dollars.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Shifty Nipples posted:

This is absurdly naive. The second anyone gets power it corrupts, that's human beings. A good paycheck can minimize the likelihood of corruption.

Again, everyone here thinks the police are being assholes on a regular basis. But paying them less will only make things far far worse.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't have any taxable income anyway so I don't care how much you guys have to pay them, but maybe putting more of their paychecks into ensuring they aren't worthless shitheads would be good.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Additionally, money is power so you're just trading one for the other. Sort of a bribe perhaps.

e: that made more sense in my head

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 16, 2017

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
you're losing sight of the objective fact that all cops are bastards though

George
Nov 27, 2004

Like I said, in a country where police actually help everyone we'd be super happy that they're well paid. Everyone deserves a comfortable life, so long as they aren't hurting people.

We agree that cops are loving people over. I presume we also believe in a living wage (insofar as we believe in wages anyway). Right now they're getting paid a lot to murder people, but what we all want is for them to be paid a lot to help people.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

George posted:

Like I said, in a country where police actually help everyone we'd be super happy that they're well paid. Everyone deserves a comfortable life, so long as they aren't hurting people.

We agree that cops are loving people over. I presume we also believe in a living wage (insofar as we believe in wages anyway). Right now they're getting paid a lot to murder people, but what we all want is for them to be paid a lot to help people.

Deserve is a made up imaginary concept and I don't believe anything.

Except a thing called love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjZuykKY1I

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 16, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

coyo7e posted:

The solution to cheating and stealing is to ensure that people have enough money not to need to do so.

Dude, look at the stats between Costco (who pays well) and Sam's Club (that doesn't). Money isn't the only factor but all things being equal you're going to end up with better employees if you pay them more.

No, it's not going to stop police corruption or people of color being murdered in the streets, but you aren't going to get there paying them minimum wage either. It's required but not sufficient for having a good police force. That goes for any other employee in any other industry.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
We can post news from British Columbia, right? We're still caught in election hell and I wanted to share other crap going on in my awful, awful province.

News from Vancouver (BC): drugs are still killing people like crazy. Good news is that the nalaxone kits that are being handed out are proving to be successful in saving lives. In this case, the life of Snuggles the mouse:

Monday Magazine posted:

VANCOUVER — An overdose prevention group on the front line of Vancouver's drug crisis can now include a small, furry mouse on the list of lives it has saved.

Melissa Patton, a volunteer with the Overdose Prevention Society, says she administered the overdose-reversing drug naloxone to the nose of a pet mouse named Snuggles, after her owner brought in the comatose creature on Sunday.

Patton says the mouse had eaten some of her owner's heroin.

She says by the following morning the animal had made a full recovery and was happily chomping away on cheerios and bananas.

She says the mouse's owner was going in for detox treatment the following day so asked Patton to care for Snuggles.

The society's Sarah Blyth says the incident highlights how the organization's volunteers go above and beyond to look after the approximate 600 clients they see every day.

Also, I haven't seen genuine British Columbian road rage in a little while, so enjoy some people beating on each other in Saanich: http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/men-brawl-in-saanich-parking-lot-road-rage-incident-caught-on-camera-1.3416840

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Blind Sally posted:

Also, I haven't seen genuine British Columbian road rage in a little while, so enjoy some people beating on each other in Saanich: http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/men-brawl-in-saanich-parking-lot-road-rage-incident-caught-on-camera-1.3416840

When I was up there last summer, I saw a dude flip out and wave a hockey stick out his car window in traffic.

I'm still laughing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Portland residents, get ready for your rent to go up, because the schools bond measure is going to pass

More results here: http://results.oregonvotes.gov/ResultsSW.aspx?type=CTYALL&cty=26&map=CTY

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 17, 2017

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I wonder if the people who think police should be paid badly because you shouldn't just want to be a cop "because it paid better than managing the local Denny's," also think teachers should be paid badly so that nobody goes into teaching just for the money.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

James Garfield posted:

I wonder if the people who think police should be paid badly because you shouldn't just want to be a cop "because it paid better than managing the local Denny's," also think teachers should be paid badly so that nobody goes into teaching just for the money.

Those who can't do, beat minorities with a nightstick for trying to do. In other words welcome to Milwaukie, Oregon.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

I give up, why isn't it like that in any other industry?
If we raise their paychecks, will priests molest less kids? Will HVAC techs stop off-gassing R-22 because it saves them needing to recover it in a safe manner?

Ther are a ton of jobs where people do all kinds of shady and illegal and immoral poo poo, and giving them more money doesn't really change the fact that some of them are gonna be fuckwads.. I mean in HVAC, it takes more training than a cop and you get paid around the same range however, you're also required to keep up certs because if you gently caress up working ona boiler you can LITERALLY destroy a building http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/killed-boiler-explosion-caught-camera-46562554

Priests and HVAC techs are in good "unions" which work to raise their wages and legal protections, and one even provides good lawyers too.

But if you're a cop, then you aren't really required to have any oversight except for, basically, your own word and the word of your coworkers.

My main point that nobody here seems to want to think about - is that a lot of people are always going to be greedy, or act lovely, no matter how much you give them for their wages. Give a cop 500k/yr? A certain not-insignificant portion of them will just buy an even bigger house and bigger boat and more beer and coke, and then end looming near bankruptcy and getting tempted and possibly acting on poo poo they ought not to be doing. There are a lot of laws against fraud and our president is nominally rich as gently caress, but do you hoenstly feel that giving him more money would make him less likely to overreach his own means and end up stuck in a sticky situation because he saw easy money and went for it?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, it's the same logic as appeasement. You can't tame the beast.