Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
But what do expect to happen when everyone is full of adrenaline and an opposition player just gets really personal out of the blue (pardon the pun), it's only human nature in that circumstance for an over the top reaction to occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

snoremac posted:

How is Freo's percentage at 85 at 5-3?

Their losses have all been by large margins and their wins mostly tight margins

They have won 3 games by less than a goal and got smashed by Port by 90 points

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I don't condone that sort of sledging, nor do I think the appropriate response is to have a go at an injured player, no matter how injured he ended up being.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

realbez posted:

If you said things like that about someone's wife in a local game (or just in general) you'd probably get thumped, but afl players can't react like that. All in all, having something mean said to you while you're winded isn't so bad.

I wasn't defending Carlisle in anyway because, as I've already said, I think sledging is stupid and it's clearly not a good topic to go after. But we don't even know exactly what was said which, imo, makes some of the reactions a bit over the top.

In your hypothetical situation the player doing the sledging in a local game would probably be expecting to be thumped. What he wouldn't be expecting is for the player that he sledged to go after him when he was injured and unable to do anything about it.

Is Carlisle a dickhead? All evidence indicates yes.
Is Murphy a coward? Based on his actions he is.
Are they both wrong? Yes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery posted:

I wasn't defending Carlisle in anyway because, as I've already said, I think sledging is stupid and it's clearly not a good topic to go after. But we don't even know exactly what was said which, imo, makes some of the reactions a bit over the top.

In your hypothetical situation the player doing the sledging in a local game would probably be expecting to be thumped. What he wouldn't be expecting is for the player that he sledged to go after him when he was injured and unable to do anything about it.

Is Carlisle a dickhead? All evidence indicates yes.
Is Murphy a coward? Based on his actions he is.
Are they both wrong? Yes.

"go after him"

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

"go after him"

Call it whatever you want. It doesn't change the situation.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't make it clear but I meant my hypothetical situation to point out that players sledging in a personal way like that at AFL level are the real cowards because they know they won't get thumped for it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

realbez posted:

I didn't make it clear but I meant my hypothetical situation to point out that players sledging in a personal way like that at AFL level are the real cowards because they know they won't get thumped for it.

Well yeah, if you said that someones significant other was loving about in the real world than you'd get belted. Sledgers that get really personal and involve family are gutless because they do it without any real consequences.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
heres a "real world" sledge: gently caress rchmodn

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I have a shameful admission to make: I don't get the thread title

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

Solemn Sloth posted:

An explanation of the title which leaves only more questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQivDKanDSY

First thing in the OP :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

It's a youtube of some fundraiser for the Bulldogs back in the 90s, a player review where a bunch of them came out naked doing 'the elephant'

e: Or, you know, I could have linked the video from the OP

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 14, 2017

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

If you said things like that about someone's wife in a local game (or just in general) you'd probably get thumped, but afl players can't react like that. All in all, having something mean said to you while you're winded isn't so bad.

No one knows what Murphy said but it was seemingly bad enough to start an all in brawl yet he's the angel in this picture?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

No one knows what Murphy said but it was seemingly bad enough to start an all in brawl yet he's the angel in this picture?

Geary didn't know what he said either, he just saw him say something and went in to fly the flag. They were all relentlessly stuck into Murphy all game so Geary didn't need much of an excuse to start some more poo poo. They obviously went out with a plan to target him, which is fine within limits. Murphy is no angel but he looks better here than St Kilda imo.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sledging is dumb and bad in general imo.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

Geary didn't know what he said either, he just saw him say something and went in to fly the flag. They were all relentlessly stuck into Murphy all game so Geary didn't need much of an excuse to start some more poo poo. They obviously went out with a plan to target him, which is fine within limits. Murphy is no angel but he looks better here than St Kilda imo.

Why would Geary immediately go after Murphy if he didn't hear what he said?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Because he obviously said something nasty to his apparently injured team mate? He looked too far away in the replay to be able to hear anything

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AFL players are notoriously reluctant to inflict violence on their opponents without being absolutely certain what, if anything, was said.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
I have absolutely no issue with Geary flying the flag for an injured teammate, prior sledging or not. Even if he didn't hear what was said by Murphy, it's just a captain standing up for one of his teammates.

boy undead fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 14, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Who gives a poo poo.

Anyway. AFLW trade period/contract re-signings opens at 9am.

Runs May 15-26 Then a 4 day Free Agent trade period the week after.

Teams must cull 5 players from their 2017 lists either by trading them or delisting.

2018 list sizes are now 27 players and 3 rookies. Two of those rookies from other sports allowed.

Everyone delisted or not traded can go back into the draft in October.

Tayla Harris in navy blue will look nice. :getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chairchucker posted:

Sledging is dumb and bad in general imo.

I always liked that one where the player told another player that he was close to best on ground that day. About 3 feet from him.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

realbez posted:

The Saints fans at the ground were the most precious bunch of toorak tractor dipshits I'm surprised trickle down football wasn't brought up.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

The Saints fans at the ground were the most precious bunch of toorak tractor dipshits I'm surprised trickle down football wasn't brought up.

lol

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Carlton, truly the working man's club!*

*Proceeds to cheat consistently for decades using money supplied from numerous rich benefactors and politicians.

Pigs arse amirite?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

RICHMOND captain Trent Cotchin has dodged suspension, with the Match Review Panel handing him a $1000 fine for striking Lachie Neale.

Cotchin was scrutinised by the MRP after landing a forceful jumper punch on Neale in Sunday's clash against the Dockers, sending the midfielder to ground, but his hit was graded as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

The MRP considered that Cotchin was not looking directly at Neale when he landed the blow, declining to grade the strike as intentional as a result.

:downsbravo:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

According to Freo guru Mike Sheahan, Harley Bennell will never play a game for the Purples:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/harley-bennell-will-never-play-for-the-dockers-sheahan-20170515-gw526n.html

Bennell is a bit of a dickhead, shocking stuff. I honestly believe that whether or not he ever plays for Freo will have everything to do with his calves, and nothing to do with him being an idiot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

To move this discussion away from teh loaded topic of sledging and into the much safer and well established waters of Football racism, it seems that the Dunstal/Frawley TV show dealt with the game in China just about as well as you can expect.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...515-gw53qd.html

A few jokes could be expected, and given the level of AFL TV one could also expect that maybe some of those jokes might be a little less than sensitive.

But is a "Ching Chong Me velly solly" accent and a Chinese Menu gag the best they can do? It's truly 1950s level of ignorance and xenophobia.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I saw that on the Bounce, the crowd response was pretty much "WTF??" as was mine when I saw it. It seemed that Dunstal just led Frawley dig his own grave.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spedman posted:

According to Freo guru Mike Sheahan, Harley Bennell will never play a game for the Purples:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/harley-bennell-will-never-play-for-the-dockers-sheahan-20170515-gw526n.html

Bennell is a bit of a dickhead, shocking stuff. I honestly believe that whether or not he ever plays for Freo will have everything to do with his calves, and nothing to do with him being an idiot.

It's a shame. He could've been a monster. That game against I think Geelong was a special performance. Kicked 7 goals or something stupid and led us to a win without Gaz.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Volkerball posted:

It's a shame. He could've been a monster. That game against I think Geelong was a special performance. Kicked 7 goals or something stupid and led us to a win without Gaz.

It's a massive shame, such a familiar story, all the talent in the world with his body holding him back

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spedman posted:

I saw that on the Bounce, the crowd response was pretty much "WTF??" as was mine when I saw it. It seemed that Dunstal just led Frawley dig his own grave.

Yah I saw that last night and thought to myself: what year is this? they shouldn't be doing that

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/AFL_PKeane/status/864027438275112960

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I can't believe Bounce is on the air. It's so, so bad even for a AFL variety show.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Speaking of umpiring, the emergency umpire at the Crows Demons game had already umpired an SANFL game earlier in the day, so when he was subbed in for the one Vince gave a concussion, he ended up being too tired, and subbed himself out for the last quarter, dropping it back to two field umpires.

Stellar organisation.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Elliot Yeo is now leading the AFLCA voting

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
St Kilda's captain has admitted his teammates were a poo poo blokes for sledging Murphy

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Speaking of umpiring, the emergency umpire at the Crows Demons game had already umpired an SANFL game earlier in the day, so when he was subbed in for the one Vince gave a concussion, he ended up being too tired, and subbed himself out for the last quarter, dropping it back to two field umpires.

Stellar organisation.

AFL house sent a team of mercenaries to poison the emergency umpire so that there wouldn't be any South Australians officiating

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Teams don't play their emergencies in the state leagues if they have a reserves game before the AFL game that weekend, why shouldn't the umpires be held to the same standard? Oh that's right, they can't do that because sitting out games and the numbers required would need them to be professional, and of course we don't need professional umpires.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

St Kilda's captain has admitted his teammates were a poo poo blokes for sledging Murphy

nah but you see Murphy shouldn't have had a family for people to sledge him about you have to take the centrist approach to be reasonable don't you know, loving knuckledraggers, club should issue a formal apology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Elliot Yeo is now leading the AFLCA voting

More importantly Clayton Oliver outright 3rd

• Locked thread