Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was honestly annoyed at how long it took the Doctor to key into what was actually going on

When Nardole commented on the profit I thought it was meant to be a joke for the Doctor to call him on what was really going on because it was so goddamn obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Can someone explain to me why Bill survived being zombified? There were a lot of explanations happening at once.

The sting at the end where the Doctor said he's still blind got an audible :aaaaa: out of me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shneak posted:

Can someone explain to me why Bill survived being zombified? There were a lot of explanations happening at once.

Her suit was defective and didn't deliver a fatal shock.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oxygen gifs - click to view

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

jivjov posted:

I completely misread what he resolution of this episode was gonna be. I thought it was going to be something to the effect of "even if inefficient, discarding potentially useful equipment is a bad idea" and it was gonna be revealed that everyone's nervous systems just "switched off" and not actually dead.

As did I.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Am I the only one who was confused by the ending and thought something was going on other than what was said?

The Doctor, Bill and Nardol are all hugging. Then we cut, and they are back on the TARDIS. The Doctor isn't clear when and how that happened. He also is talking about why he didn't tell Bill, and he said he never told the enemy his plan. (Being blind wouldn't mean the Doctor would forget walking to and entering the TARDIS)

Okay, I know this doesn't quite make sense, but what if Nardol isn't Nardol and the Doctor is faking his injury? I get the feeling there was more going on there than just that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I think that this series is, in a lot of ways, the objectively best season of Doctor Who for a while, with no major missteps, and solid episodes throughout. The only problem for me is, a lot of the episodes feel a little rushed...we are barely introduced to the mystery before it is resolved.

Sadly, this series doesn't have as big of an impact on me because I have seen a lot of this before and I have kind of moved on. When I saw Doctor Who in 2011, I remember my friend introducing me to it, and watching five episodes in a row and just being fascinated and excited by every episode. I am sure that someone, somewhere, is discovering the show with this series, and for them its amazing, but it just can't be that way for me.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LionArcher posted:

Anybody got a link for the promo for next week?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17W9KF73lCU

In which the Doctor visits the Pope and something shady is going on within the Church

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxqs51gwX-s
And the After Show, if anyone can stomach it

...god, I miss Confidential

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

I guess his head is still organic?

I didn't get why if the voltage wasn't enough to kill Bill (ha!) she still turned into a zombie...?

The battery was nearly dead so it wasn't enough to kill her, just to stun her for a few minutes. She got a shock only a little worse than a taser. Bad enough it left a scorch mark on her face, but not quite enough to kill a healthy young woman. Presumably he's looked at her TARDIS health scan previously, so he knows she doesn't have any pre-existing heart conditions. It was still a bit of a gamble, but he's never been afraid to lie to make someone feel better.

There's something weird with Nardole though. He's a robot, but he needs oxygen. His head is organic, yet he hasn't seen his 'true face' in years? :raise: Oh, and his head spent decades attached to the robot king/waiter without aging. Okay, that robot body probably had a really good life support system so King Hydroflax wouldn't be laid low by free radicals or telomeres, so maybe that bit isn't so weird.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

I think that this series is, in a lot of ways, the objectively best season of Doctor Who for a while, with no major missteps, and solid episodes throughout. The only problem for me is, a lot of the episodes feel a little rushed...we are barely introduced to the mystery before it is resolved.

For me this is my problem with the episodes so far also. Too much build up and not enough payout.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is what, the third episode this season where the real enemy is society's exploitation off innocent people (two of them being pretty explicitly anti-capitalism, with Smile aiming at colonialism)? It feels like the entire writing staff is really pissed off at society this season, and I love it.

I'd echo all the complaints about this episode feeling kinda poorly-paced, but I honestly don't think it suffered all too terribly for it. I didn't feel like it was dragging or rushed while it was going on, just in retrospect. And I'm actually pretty cautiously interested in the Doctor being blind; it could easily be an annoying extra wrinkle to stories, but I don't think it'll remain a secret to Bill for long, and what it will do is slow the Doctor down quite considerably. Which is good, Capaldi's at his best being slow and deliberate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

This is what, the third episode this season where the real enemy is society's exploitation off innocent people (two of them being pretty explicitly anti-capitalism, with Smile aiming at colonialism)? It feels like the entire writing staff is really pissed off at society this season, and I love it.

It certainly feels like everyone on the the writing staff has watched The Happiness Patrol before starting on their scripts, yeah.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

glowing-fish posted:

The Doctor, Bill and Nardol are all hugging. Then we cut, and they are back on the TARDIS. The Doctor isn't clear when and how that happened. He also is talking about why he didn't tell Bill, and he said he never told the enemy his plan. (Being blind wouldn't mean the Doctor would forget walking to and entering the TARDIS)

Is this a quote from somewhere

They walked back to the TARDIS

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is this a quote from somewhere

They walked back to the TARDIS

After his eyesight is "restored", the Doctor quips: "Ah, we're back in the Tardis. When did that happen?" He wasn't being serious.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 14, 2017

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

There's something weird with Nardole though. He's a robot, but he needs oxygen. His head is organic, yet he hasn't seen his 'true face' in years? :raise: Oh, and his head spent decades attached to the robot king/waiter without aging. Okay, that robot body probably had a really good life support system so King Hydroflax wouldn't be laid low by free radicals or telomeres, so maybe that bit isn't so weird.

"Oh, my God! I'm the tin dog!"

Regarding the Doctor's blindness, given that next week's episode is supposed to feature an evil book that effects anyone who reads it, having the Doctor unable to read seems like it will be a vital plot point. (A guess, as I've not been spoiled beyond a three-sentence blurb of the premise of the next episode and the preview.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Narsham posted:

"Oh, my God! I'm the tin dog!"

Regarding the Doctor's blindness, given that next week's episode is supposed to feature an evil book that effects anyone who reads it, having the Doctor unable to read seems like it will be a vital plot point. (A guess, as I've not been spoiled beyond a three-sentence blurb of the premise of the next episode and the preview.)

You seem to be forgetting Psychic paper is a thing. It's been a thing the Doctor himself has used for ages now.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You seem to be forgetting Psychic paper is a thing. It's been a thing the Doctor himself has used for ages now.

I think it's a shame that the paper is no longer referred to as "slightly psychic". I thought that was a cute detail.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Anybody else think Nardole is getting more and more sinister with each passing ep?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Davros1 posted:

Anybody else think Nardole is getting more and more sinister with each passing ep?

I don't think he's getting more sinister so much as losing more and more patience. The Doctor keeps shirking his oath, and lying to and belittling Nardole and the job he's probably being kept around to do, at this point he's probably kinda pissed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did they specify when this was set in the future? I'm wondering whether the "space is ruled by corrupt corporations" era comes before or after "space is ruled by the Daleks using reality TV broadcasts as a front" and "space is ruled by Warwick Davis".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Assuming that nothing in the future has changed :ssh:

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I could have used maybe a little more backstory as to why murdering the entire crew was preferable to just firing them and dumping them on the nearest planet; there was already a transport on the way carrying the new people. Something like wow space fuel is really expensive this quarter so we couldn't deal with the weight on the return trip or paying out space unemployment is really expensive

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oxygen is expensive.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See again, I was fine with the set up. I just didn't understand how it was a mystery to ANYONE since I thought it was a joke about Nardole putting things backwards. You know, "Of course they're not profitable, they're dead!" "They're dead because they weren't profitable."

It's such an obvious and quick thing I really thought the Doctor at the least had caught on the moment he said that.

Still not sure how he didn't.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Nardole also seems to have his personality upgraded, in the specials he was in, he seemed to be a comic relief character, and now he seems to have this serious mission to get the Doctor to behave.

Maybe Nardole and The Doctor have switched places? Maybe The Master and Nardole have switched places?

:tinfoil:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

They probably just made the good decision that having a silly comic relief character for the entire series would have been tedious (looking at you, McCoy in your first season!!!!)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hope the Doc starts cooking exciting and new recipes from now on.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Nardole's head is organic, the body is the robot. I mean, the Doctor can't just sew his head onto a corpse after what happened during River's episode.

... right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I was half-expecting after the Doctor's spacewalk was an off-hand mention that Time Lords have a respiratory bypass system. Granted, that's something that fell by the wayside many years ago (in fact, I'm pretty sure it showed up out of the blue the first time to explain why the Doctor could survive getting strangled by a robot mummy) but it's the kind of obscure reference that wouldn't seem altogether out of place in that scenario.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He uses it to survive in space in Four to Doomsday, as it happens

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYxwo0GcpM

Hm...wonder why the TARDIS wasn't translating

The Christmas Invasion showed that if the Doctor's out of sorts, it doesn't work, so...

Although if this is a fresh start for the series, the writers could simply not be using the Translation Circuit...

Still a rather glaring problem for veteran viewers

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

We've previously had fairly trivial languages like French and German fail to translate (War Games in both cases), and it'll either be explained in the story or it won't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He uses it to survive in space in Four to Doomsday, as it happens

Didn't he have a mask (but not a full suit) that time?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you want him using it to survive somewhere without air, then Caves

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We've previously had fairly trivial languages like French and German fail to translate (War Games in both cases), and it'll either be explained in the story or it won't.

Let's also not forget that the Tardis likes to mess with people.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And More posted:

Envious of Bill having a date while she doesn't, perhaps?

Here, have a Pope

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I was half-expecting after the Doctor's spacewalk was an off-hand mention that Time Lords have a respiratory bypass system. Granted, that's something that fell by the wayside many years ago (in fact, I'm pretty sure it showed up out of the blue the first time to explain why the Doctor could survive getting strangled by a robot mummy) but it's the kind of obscure reference that wouldn't seem altogether out of place in that scenario.

I figured that's exactly what it was a reference to and I was pleased that they didn't actually go out of their way to specifically say the cause. They figured classic fans would understand and those who aren't familiar would just figure,"Well I guess because he's an alien he could survive longer :shrug:"

Then again, in the same episode they had to include the Doctor specifically saying,"I'm still blind!" because they didn't think people would get it.

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYxwo0GcpM

Hm...wonder why the TARDIS wasn't translating

I'd like to think it's because the TARDIS thought this would be hilarious (she's right)

And More posted:

Yep :)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an AMA Jamie Mathieson did on Reddit shortly before the episode came out.

One thing he mentions is that he hasn't heard from Chibnall about contributing to season 11 and he expects that Chibnall will largely have his own team with him. Disappointing if that's how it pans out but probably not unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oxygen is expensive.

Hail Skroob!

• Locked thread