Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Troy Baker as Kanji was a freaking revelation and I'll always be thankful they got him before the dude became super popular/expensive.

I dunno if anyone individually matches that level, but the ensemble cast in P5 is probably the strongest in the series. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's insane how much better the dub for 3 and 4 is compared to the sub. Japanese Teddie and adachi are awful and only like 2 people in P3s sub sound good.

So I guess the sub for p5 being better is only fair.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Peachfart posted:

I *LOVE* Ann's voice actor.

I think Ryuji and Makoto really sell some of their lines too.

I'd really have to go back and play 4 and 3, I can't remember the voices too well. (EDIT: I do remember that japanese teddie makes me want to die.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hmm, are they gonna make me retreat from palace 5 after, Haru actually awakens?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

P5 definitely has the best voice cast for the main party in the series so far, at least as far as English goes (that's the only version I played anyway)

Persona 3 had some great performances and some truly horrific ones.

Persona 4 I thought everyone was excellent except for Chie, who sounds like nails on chalkboard to me no matter the version, original 4, golden, and from what I've heard, Japanese too.

In 5 Haru sometimes needs to lay off the helium but it suits her anyway and the cast as a whole I have zero complaints about.

P5 has the best JPN VA even if they were lazy and did not translate all the text/cut scenes. Haru sounds fine in JPN but ENG is just no.

Also, Chie is nowhere close to how terrible Rise and Teddy are in JPN P4:G.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I absolutely plowed through Palace 4 without any problems, so I figured I would kick it up to hard mode for Palace 5.

Wow, was that a mistake! :suicide:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

No.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DalaranJ posted:

You won't get forced to retreat from any palace after there's a deadline in place, if I'm remembering correctly.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

You won't get forced to retreat from any palace after there's a deadline in place, if I'm remembering correctly.

Palace 2 has one of these, doesn't it?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

This is not true.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
What is it because I can't remember at all

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Palace 2 and 6, and technically 3 as well. It's not super common but it happens.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Madarame has that locked door with the laser gates. You have Ann sneak in while Joker and Ryuji go through in the palace.

I don't know if there are any more like that since I'm still playing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Rainuwastaken posted:

Madarame has that locked door with the laser gates. You have Ann sneak in while Joker and Ryuji go through in the palace.

I don't know if there are any more like that since I'm still playing.

I thought the deadline came after that?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SpazmasterX posted:

I thought the deadline came after that?

You had a deadline prior, but it was the Yosuke calls the cops if Ann doesn't strip one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want to troll this pleasant boy online. He is no Detective Prince of mine, nosir.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

only like 2 people in P3s sub sound good.

the only dub voices I really missed when I played p3 in japanese were akihiko and junpei, who own but dub fuuka and aigis are really bad and dub yukari has the same issue as OG dub chie where she's weirdly miscasted. michelle ruff sounds like she has a total attitude in most lines while the actual dialogue and the jp voice are a lot more mellow

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

the only dub voices I really missed when I played p3 in japanese were akihiko and junpei, who own but dub fuuka and aigis are really bad and dub yukari has the same issue as OG dub chie where she's weirdly miscasted. michelle ruff sounds like she has a total attitude in most lines while the actual dialogue and the jp voice are a lot more mellow

I actually liked Ruff's spin on Yukari, having her be kinda standoffish felt very fitting. Dub Fuuka is bad but sub fuuka is equally as lovely IMO so I don't really count that against the dub. Agreed on Aigis though. My biggest complaint though is probably JP Nyx because they lack basically any conviction at all during the tarot reading section which makes up a big reason why I love that fight.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hang on, if there's no forced retreat in Palace 4, will I seriously have 3 weeks of down time if I can finish it the first time through? drat, I should've bought more SP Regen patches. Loving the aesthetic on this one, though. Very appropriate selection of demons in the battles, too. The previous palaces were pretty good about that but I guess there's a larger pantheon to work with in this case. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah you have a ton of free time for Palace 4. It's a little nuts!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rangpur posted:

Hang on, if there's no forced retreat in Palace 4, will I seriously have 3 weeks of down time if I can finish it the first time through? drat, I should've bought more SP Regen patches. Loving the aesthetic on this one, though. Very appropriate selection of demons in the battles, too. The previous palaces were pretty good about that but I guess there's a larger pantheon to work with in this case. :v:

No joke just an SP patch for Joker is enough for that palace. Just a chill and fun dungeon.

Palace 5 not so much. :shobon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering how much free time is usual, "a ton" is holy poo poo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I actually liked Ruff's spin on Yukari, having her be kinda standoffish felt very fitting. Dub Fuuka is bad but sub fuuka is equally as lovely IMO so I don't really count that against the dub. Agreed on Aigis though. My biggest complaint though is probably JP Nyx because they lack basically any conviction at all during the tarot reading section which makes up a big reason why I love that fight.
Yeah, Yukari's voice was super well done imo. She goes from putting on a bubbly facade like when she's showing you around the school to being super bitter when she's talking about Mitsuru.

Miscast is the last adjective I'd use to describe Ruff's work, Yukari great

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is there any trick to fusing Neko Shogun with Dekaja, or do I just need to get Anzu to level 28 via Arcana Burst, Gallows, etc.? I could just do it the regular way but that's for scrubs and I am (apparently) a hardened criminal. :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah just get Anzu to Lv. 28

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rangpur posted:

Is there any trick to fusing Neko Shogun with Dekaja, or do I just need to get Anzu to level 28 via Arcana Burst, Gallows, etc.? I could just do it the regular way but that's for scrubs and I am (apparently) a hardened criminal. :v:

Persona's level pretty slowly so doing it the regular way is for chumps. Treasure demons give you a 3x multiplier in the gallows BTW.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Moltrey posted:

Miscast is the last adjective I'd use to describe Ruff's work, Yukari great

you personally liking it or not doesn't change the fact that it's not what was intended. the JP va gets salty around mitusuru too, where michelle ruff "fails" is stuff like her ribbing of junpei sounding a lot more mean spirited and not just mutual teasing or making the answer even more obnoxious. in general throughout the dub she sounds less put out by all the crazy poo poo that's going on and more just kind of annoyed by it, even if the takes are well done its a coloring of the character that isn't really there in the original

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's probably a decision by the loc team and not an invalid one just for not being 1:1 to the JP version.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Between the typos, the odd phrasing, the(as of April 15) weaker story and characters than P4, and the horrible negotiation system I'm feeling a bit down about the game.
Going to stick with it and hope things get better.

This is way too early to start comparing a game and cast you've spent an entire game watching develop (Persona 4) to a group of characters you've barely met (Persona 5). I also disagree pretty strongly about the story being weaker early on than Persona 4's. Persona 5 uses an in medias res opening to really great effect before throwing you into a story about someone being terrible in a really realistic way. I suppose I can understand preferring a supernatural murder mystery, but for my money, there was a lot more interesting stuff going on right off the bat in 5 than 4.

The translation has a lot of weird phrasings, though, can't really argue with that.

(Oh god I'm turning into the resident "actually Persona 4 isn't that good" contrarian aren't I :ohdear: I swear it's my second favorite in the series)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I heard Yukari's VA killed the voice director and just began recording lines however she felt like.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

This is way too early to start comparing a game and cast you've spent an entire game watching develop (Persona 4) to a group of characters you've barely met (Persona 5). I also disagree pretty strongly about the story being weaker early on than Persona 4's. Persona 5 uses an in medias res opening to really great effect before throwing you into a story about someone being terrible in a really realistic way. I suppose I can understand preferring a supernatural murder mystery, but for my money, there was a lot more interesting stuff going on right off the bat in 5 than 4.

The translation has a lot of weird phrasings, though, can't really argue with that.

(Oh god I'm turning into the resident "actually Persona 4 isn't that good" contrarian aren't I :ohdear: I swear it's my second favorite in the series)

Nah, Persona 4 is super good. Someone going "well I'm 15 minutes into this game and I already know another one I played to completion is better :(" is just retarded.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I heard Yukari's VA killed the voice director and just began recording lines however she felt like.

My dad's uncle's friend's third ex-wife is Atlus and this is true

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Motto posted:

That's probably a decision by the loc team and not an invalid one just for not being 1:1 to the JP version.
this

being 1:1 is one of the lamest things a localization can be, and saying Ruff "failed" is really hyperbolic. ENG Yukari is much more completely fed up with Junpei's poo poo which fits better imo when P3's cast is extremely terse and keeps each other at the end of a five foot stick. YukarI and Junpei having a small manzai routine is less interesting to me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Nah, Persona 4 is super good. Someone going "well I'm 15 minutes into this game and I already know another one I played to completion is better :(" is just retarded.

I do really like Persona 4, like a whole lot. I'm extremely skeptical of high praise for Persona 4's cast, I think, now that I've played it again more recently. I got really, really tired of "Yosuke is weirded out by Kanji" and "none of the girls can cook and torture the boys with their cooking" jokes. I also always felt like Chie and Yukiko were supposed to be the closest friends ever but we only really hear about their friendship--it doesn't develop on-screen, so I have a hard time really being invested in them. Kanji owns, though, and I like Naoto and Rise, too.

I've seen arguments that the Persona 4 cast feels more like genuine friends, but I think that's just because (especially with Golden) there were a lot more "friends hanging out" scenes and has little do with how their relationships are actually written.

(also I really don't like Teddie)

I'm still significantly more likely to play Persona 4 again than 3, and not just because there's no way I'm going to be able with Fuuka's voice for a whole game again :v:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

this

being 1:1 is one of the lamest things a localization can be, and saying Ruff "failed" is really hyperbolic. ENG Yukari is much more completely fed up with Junpei's poo poo which fits better imo when P3's cast is extremely terse and keeps each other at the end of a five foot stick. YukarI and Junpei having a small manzai routine is less interesting to me

Junpei and Yukari's English VAs are full of emotion in a game where everyone else sounds emotionally constipated, so they're good in my book.

Of course with Akihiko that's kind of the point so he's good too.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ROFL Octopus posted:

P5 definitely has the best voice cast for the main party in the series so far, at least as far as English goes (that's the only version I played anyway)

Persona 3 had some great performances and some truly horrific ones.

Persona 4 I thought everyone was excellent except for Chie, who sounds like nails on chalkboard to me no matter the version, original 4, golden, and from what I've heard, Japanese too.

In 5 Haru sometimes needs to lay off the helium but it suits her anyway and the cast as a whole I have zero complaints about.

Persona 5 has Jouji Nakata voicing Sojiro and I'll be damned if he's not just as perfect as the English VA.

Even Haru's English VA winds up working out once you realize that Haru wants to kill things just to watch them die.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'd argue p4's opening isn't super good though. If we're like just comparing the first half hour of the game or so.

Although, p5's opening could have used some more work too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Persona 5 has Jouji Nakata voicing Sojiro and I'll be damned if he's not just as perfect as the English VA.

Jamieson Price is basically the English Jouji Nakata, yes.

Also, a fun little parallel: Jamieson Price also voices the narrator in Catherine, so he's given both alcohol trivia and coffee trivia.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
When does this game stop with the hand holding? I've just started with the random dungeon but I feel constantly bombarded, railroaded and unable to get a chance to level up my social stats like guts or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You should be completely free after your first visit to Mementos.