Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

That's why I said "in a society that isn't ruled by fear".

The fear of being killed by a gun is a pretty fuckin natural instinct to have when you see a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ometeotl posted:

Velvet is the best mom in 2017

She wasn't a very good mom at the start of the game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

guns don't kill people, they're just designed to kill people

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Thanks, that definitely sounds like something I'd be into (and they're both on sale on PS4 so I guess I'll grab the Crimes and Punishments one)

Why is the sequel worse

From a few pages back - both games use minor puzzles to space out the investigation and dialogue, but the ones in Devil's Daughter are intrusive and annoying. The front half of the game feels like a chore, which is a shame because the last 2-3 cases were honestly a lot of fun. If you really like C&P, you might still enjoy Devil's Daughter, but get it on a discount. It's the worse title but it scratched an itch for me. And there really are some fun moments in those later cases, enough that I didn't regret getting the game, warts and all.

It really comes down to how much time you're willing to invest in a sub-par intro to get to the good game.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I finally graduated from college today, but the ceremony left me with an awful migraine so I wasn't able to enjoy my after-party at home as much

Still, I guess that's a pretty big milestone for me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Congrats!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I finally graduated from college today, but the ceremony left me with an awful migraine so I wasn't able to enjoy my after-party at home as much

Still, I guess that's a pretty big milestone for me

gently caress yeah!

I almost did. I am still finishing a selfpaced online class. All I gotta do is not gently caress it up.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Snak posted:

gently caress yeah!

I almost did. I am still finishing a selfpaced online class. All I gotta do is not gently caress it up.

I believe in you, dude. Don't give up until it's over!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Then super give up. On not chasing your dreams!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Someone made a doohickey that lets you upload a ROM for A Link to the Past and randomizes the location of all the items except for small keys. It's theoretically possible to get an incompleteable game but is apparently surprisingly workable for someone familiar with the game.

Maybe not much use outside of a curiosity but I think it's cool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Snak posted:

gently caress yeah!

You can do it!

I'm doing an online class too and I'm almost through - a final and I'm free to worry about the fall semester :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OHHHHHHhhhh gently caress

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/863948426626572289

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

OMG.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
God I hope it's Space Channel 5...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alpha protocol 2 would go down so loving smooth right now

they wouldn't have to do a boring middle east introduction either just get right into the spy stuff

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Mann posted:

Someone made a doohickey that lets you upload a ROM for A Link to the Past and randomizes the location of all the items except for small keys. It's theoretically possible to get an incompleteable game but is apparently surprisingly workable for someone familiar with the game.

Maybe not much use outside of a curiosity but I think it's cool.
Yep, there's been a significantly sized race tournament going on using it for a little while now, up to nearly 170 matches. It's quite good for watching, especially since the commentators are usually fantastic at pointing out aspects of it. I recommend watching them at 1.25 or 1.5 speed, you lose nothing and most of the commentators talk so slowly that they're not even talking at motormouth speeds at 1.5 speed, it reduces the runs to about an hour or 45 minutes usually which helps a lot in not burning out on them.

I can link a bunch of the races I've watched(so far) that are really good if you'd like. There's a few that are just incredible, including one where a dude straight up just catches up to his opponent in tiny increments over the course of the last half of the run and overtakes him in the final ascent towards Ganon, winning only like 15 seconds ahead of his opponent in a nearly two hour race.

There's also plenty of races where someone gets completely poo poo on by their more skilled opponent and eventually has to be told to stop because they've been going for too long and won't finish for another few hours probably at the rate they're going, which is always a bummer both for them and to watch.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:aaaaa: trying not to get too hyped

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's just going to be some stupid rear end poo poo like more Sonic garbage. If it is any classic IP's that old school gamers remember then they will only ever get released in Japan.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Obsidian makes a chao garden game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Alpha Protocol is many things, but "a major IP" is not one of them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Obsidian presents Sonic The Dark Brotherhood 2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Obsidian presents Sonic The Dark Brotherhood 2

I'd play it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

Alpha Protocol is many things, but "a major IP" is not one of them.

It's the most major IP of all time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IP stands for "game I want to Play"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean we live in a day and age when Yoko Taro gets to collaborate on a game with Platinum and Shenmue 3 is in development so I'm just gonna say that Alpha Protocol 2 isn't a fantasy that's completely outside the realm of possibility. Hell, it may be more plausible than Beyond Good & Evil 2 at this point.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Sonic All Stars RPG. Sonic, BD Joe and the dwarf from Golden Axe finally team up to kill Robotnik

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Uh that's implying Robotnik wouldn't be in my party at all times

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

Uh that's implying Robotnik wouldn't be in my party at all times

Robotnik is the only good Sonic character. Perhaps if he dies, the franchise will as well.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Oh, okay. So if you fail in Uplink your save is essentially deleted. Cool, great. Can't wait to do the same things again!

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Jay Rust posted:

What games have motherhood as a theme? Besides Metroid

What remains of edith finch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finally sega's going to announce binary domain 2, the true game about moms

i joke but i would buy binary domain 2 as long as big bo canonically survived

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

Robotnik is the only good Sonic character. Perhaps if he dies, the franchise will as well.

this explains why the comic died in the 90s, inside at least

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steam should have had a Mother's Day sale.

I remember playing Super Mario Bros. and Bases Loaded with my mom on the NES as a kid, those were the last times she interacted with a game console that wasn't her turning it off and asking me wasn't I too old to be playing video games

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I mean we live in a day and age when Yoko Taro gets to collaborate on a game with Platinum and Shenmue 3 is in development so I'm just gonna say that Alpha Protocol 2 isn't a fantasy that's completely outside the realm of possibility. Hell, it may be more plausible than Beyond Good & Evil 2 at this point.
Yoko Taro was the Special Favourite Boy of certain Square-Enix execs (including, at one point, their CEO), which is why he kept getting work with them despite a lack of non-cult success until very recently. Alpha Protocol is a bit of a different situation where I'm pretty sure the relationship between Obsidian and Sega wasn't great even during development.

Also, Avellone doesn't work at Obsidian anymore. Which doesn't help matters, let's be honest here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Kins posted:

Yoko Taro was the Special Favourite Boy of certain Square-Enix execs (including, at one point, their CEO), which is why he kept getting work with them despite a lack of non-cult success until very recently. Alpha Protocol is a bit of a different situation where I'm pretty sure the relationship between Obsidian and Sega wasn't great even during development.

Also, Avellone doesn't work at Obsidian anymore. Which doesn't help matters, let's be honest here.

I think the same people not being involved might actually improve the chances of a sequel being made given, as you noted, how tumultuous the original development was. Whether that would lead to a sequel that was any good is a matter for debate admittedly (see: Mass Effect Andromeda).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assume with the brilliant decisions Sega has been making with Yakuza and the PlatinumGames that some there must have been some shakeups in the past few years

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Colonel posted:

finally sega's going to announce binary domain 2, the true game about moms

i joke but i would buy binary domain 2 as long as big bo canonically survived

that was SWEEEEEEEEEET

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish we had a Space Channel 5 part 3 and that Michael Jackson could be around to see it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume with the brilliant decisions Sega has been making with Yakuza and the PlatinumGames that some there must have been some shakeups in the past few years
If you're talking about the western releases of the Yakuza games, those were bankrolled by Sony. If it weren't for that (and for some extra localisation muscle from the Atlus acquisition), the localisation process would just be too expensive for how much they were expecting it to sell outside of Japan. (That Yakuza 0 exceeded those expectations and was very successful is a very pleasant surprise, and probably doesn't hurt the chances of future games coming here!)

With Platinum, if you mean the PC ports, that'd be driven by Sega Europe, who handle basically all the PC and Steam stuff. Doesn't hurt that Platinum's really into Steam, of course...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mean Bean Machine 2: Robotniks Nice Rice Device

• Locked thread