Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bogan King posted:

Actually he was told by DIBP this was the fastest way to get him a visa.

------------------------------

https://twitter.com/NickEvershed/status/863916337755705344

$500 a week for 5 years is what it takes in Melbourne ($142,000).

If someone gave me $140k the last thing I'd do it buy a house. You can turn that poo poo into a pretty decent passive income, work part time and do poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The best part of the calculator is further down where it gives you the opporunity cost of the deposit on a house. It will also let you know that the median deposit for a home in Melbourne is 2.6 median incomes.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

poetry.

Here I did a poetry for you now buy a loving house

I love a cum stained country
A land of throbbing dicks
Of farm land thats acquired
By rich mine owning pricks
I love open cut horizons
I love her polluted sea
Her corruption by the dollar
The futures death for me

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The reason Brandis is done is because of his role in helping the WA state government to try to steal the Alan Bond money via midnight legislation, by trying to instruct the solicitor general to tank the case in the high court, everything else is a distraction so nobody asks.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

NTRabbit posted:

The reason Brandis is done is because of his role in helping the WA state government to try to steal the Alan Bond money via midnight legislation, by trying to instruct the solicitor general to tank the case in the high court, everything else is a distraction so nobody asks.

I'm sure that the everything else Brandis has done has helped drive nails into the coffin. He doesn't exactly scream success.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
More "entitled young people" - from a young person this time

quote:

A YOUNG rich lister who made his fortune off the back of Australia’s capital city property boom says his generation needs to stop buying $4 coffees and travelling if they want to own a home.

Developer Tim Gurner, 35, is worth nearly half a billion dollars but has delivered a brutal smackdown to some would-be first home buyers struggling to get a toehold in the market.

“When I was buying my first home, I wasn’t buying smashed avocado for 19 bucks and four coffees at $4 each,” he told 60 Minutes in a segment exploring Australia’s housing affordability crisis.

“You have to start to get realistic about your expectations. There is no question we are at a point now where the expectations of younger people are very, very high.

However, they buried the lede

quote:

He started out by taking over a lease on a suburban gym as a 19-year-old, using $34,000 given to him by his grandfather.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/863917950511620097

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Guess he saved money on shampoo too.

15 years ago you couldn't buy $4 coffee and smashed avo either.

:itwaspoo:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My two favourite bits:

quote:

You might have to buy an investment property first, you might have to share with mum and dad, you might have to buy with a friend, but you’ve got to get your foot in the door and you’ve got to slowly get up the ladder.”

quote:

“I always wanted to be in every state,” he said back in 2014. “I tried Sydney but it’s virtually impossible to buy up there."

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I love how Domain and friends are carting these people out left, right and centre and they talk about how they all got in over a decade ago. Cool story guys, but the ship's already sailed and these people have borrowed out the wazoo and are going to be bankrupt when rates go up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He received a $34,000 gift in 2000 or something. So basically he received $50k for no reason as a 19 year old child, cool story.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

You also have to look at the implications that would occur if young people stopped spending, more so in hospitality and retail which are areas that typically employ those same young people.

Domain is essentially telling young people to screw themselves over to give them the false hope they can enter the housing market as it currently stands.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Watch This Immediately

Blair Cottrell went on talkback radio. It's hilarious.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
heres a tip: if you buy a piece of electronic equipment that does one thing and uses proprietary products, you too can be rich!*

*pending gift equal to an annual salary on the award wage apropos of nothing

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Watch This Immediately

Blair Cottrell went on talkback radio. It's hilarious.
Patriot Watch is amazing. Der Uber Der honestly shoots himself in the foot constantly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love that Blair has been taking elocution lessons online or something.

Every time he says things like "slander my person" I just loving die.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
VicGoons! CryptoParty is running "Privacy for Organisers of Actions, Events and Movements" seminar tomorrow. If you're interested in keeping your data safe and not exposing your comrades to raids and exposure, I'd suggest chugging along.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

I love that Blair has been taking elocution lessons online or something.
Even then he still comes across as a rambling tin foil idiot. Hilarious how he denies that he's anti-Semitic as the idiot decided to video his rants and publish them on FB, and now they're on YT for all the world to see his idiocy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Even then he still comes across as a rambling tin foil idiot.

Yeah, but it's a comedy force multiplier.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My dad, in response to that article:

"When I was a young adult starting out in my first home, I earned $90 a week.

Our mortgage was $32 a month. I spent more money on hi fi gear than housing."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

My dad, in response to that article:

"When I was a young adult starting out in my first home, I earned $90 a week.

Our mortgage was $32 a month. I spent more money on hi fi gear than housing."

My dad was going to buy a house in Prahran as a 22 year old and went nah that sounds like a poo poo idea because it would have used up 15% of his weekly income and all his savings as a year one electrician.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Apparently they sold our 4 bedroom house on a 1/4 acre for $79k in 2001.

Less than 18 years since housing was totally fair and affordable for most - and yet half our population seems to take the revisionist stance and claim it is the children that are wrong.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Housing is insane in Australia, and I feel lucky that my wife and I got into the Sydney suburbs market when we did (2009). At the time, we were DINKs and had both been saving for 6 years, both of us on very good salaries. We still had to take out a mortgage of $550k (so basically, two 30 years olds each taking on over a quarter of a million in debt). We stretched our budget quite a bit to do so, but we really like the house because it was brick and it was near public transport (15 minute walk for a 40 minute train ride to central) on a decent sized pieces of land.

Our neighbour just sold his property, which is a 3 bedroom fibro house on a much smaller piece of land. It sold for $1,100,000. If my wife and I had been looking to buy a house under the same circumstance as when we originally bought just 8 years later, we would have needed to take almost a million dollars in mortgage.

My wife and I were in about as favorable conditions as could be expected, and buying a house still involved scary amounts of debt and saving for us. Anyone saying that getting into the property market is a case of saving on coffees or breakfast weekly is an idiot.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Guardian posted:

Cory Bernardi has said his Australian Conservative party has had a surge of more than 700 new members in the days since the Coalition’s budget, with many of them resigning from the Liberal party.

The former Liberal said there had been huge pushback from the Liberal party base over the budget – which increased taxes on banks and the Medicare levy for the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

“There’s huge pushback,” Bernardi told Guardian Australia. “A lot of people are copying me into emails to local Liberal branches announcing their intention to finally resign.”

Bernardi said while he had not had a chance to look at all the emails, new members tended not to nominate a particular budget measure – it was more about the vibe.

“It is a bit like the Castle, it was the vibe,” Bernardi said. “It could be commitment to new taxes, the abandonment of principle, the idea that the Liberal party is not the party they were meant to be.”

He described John Howard’s criticism of the budget as extraordinary. “I think the Liberal base are thinking this is not the party we joined, we didn’t join the Malcolm Turnbull Lib team, we didn’t join an imitation of the Liberal party that believes in these things,” Bernardi said.

“They might not be the 51% of Australia but they are a substantial minority. They are saying we are concerned at the level of taxes and the size of government and the major parties seem to have thrown up their hands.”

The South Australian senator said his new members had come largely from Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.

So far, the reaction on the government benches to the budget has been mostly supportive. While some MPs privately report that the Liberal base has been unhappy about the tax increases, there has been little overt criticism of individual budget measures.

While Tony Abbott quipped about his less than enthusiastic applause for the treasurer, he endorsed some budget measures such as the welfare changes, the infrastructure package, small business tax breaks and the defence spending.

Liberal MP Craig Kelly said during his electorate events over the weekend, constituents were concerned about the level of debt but could not agree on what needed to be done.

“I was at a number of street stalls and everyone was concerned about level of debt, saying more needs to be done,” he said. “But when you ask them where the cuts should be, everyone comes up with a different answer.”

He said there seemed to be general support for the increase in the Medicare levy by 0.5% to fully fund the National Disability Insurance Scheme but there was some concern over the effect of the $6.2bn bank tax on superannuation funds and the share prices.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"I haven't read the emails but I'm sure it's people resigning from the Liberal Party to join my party" - Cory Bernardi

Alt title:

Bogan King posted:

700 new members join Bernardi Party, taking membership up to a record 701

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

$500 a week for 5 years is what it takes in Melbourne ($142,000).

If someone gave me $140k the last thing I'd do it buy a house. You can turn that poo poo into a pretty decent passive income, work part time and do poetry.

Surely you can't get a great deal of passive income off 140k?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe if you invest in cocaine. Not entirely passive though.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Reposted that article on Faceboomer - here's some fun responses from brainwashed Gen Ys:

"Who saves 20% for a house deposit though? Pretty much no one that's why mortgage insurance is a standard option and the one off premium capitalized on top of the mortgage amount. Should be able to save 5% in a little over a year. Which is all you really need to own your own home. Also the median house price of 500k is not what you need to get into the market either. Plenty and plenty of nice and decent established homes in various suburbs under 400k."

"Who the hell is buying a median price house for their first?!? Houses just sold in Girrawheen - brand new for $370k. It's partly the weird urge to buy the home you'll die in, when you don't have to..."

Trying to explain to these morons (who, incidentally, live in much nicer houses than the ones they're suggesting people buy) that those sub-400k houses in suburbs that 15 years ago were a long distance call from the city are a really poor investment. The bottom and top of the market always falls the hardest when a housing bubble bursts, and those people buying at 95% LVR are now closer to 110 or worse, in a market that's not loving moving. Most of the people in my suburb would be lucky to get $330 for a house that was valued at $450 last winter.

This poo poo is terrible advice, and you only see it from fuckheads in their late 30s that got it before poo poo got bad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Surely you can't get a great deal of passive income off 140k?

It depends what you do with it, but if you put it in an investment account that mirrored my super fund's mix of investments it would make more than $10k a year, which is all my rent paid in full.

Don Dongington posted:

Reposted that article on Faceboomer - here's some fun responses from brainwashed Gen Ys:

"Who saves 20% for a house deposit though? Pretty much no one that's why mortgage insurance is a standard option and the one off premium capitalized on top of the mortgage amount. Should be able to save 5% in a little over a year. Which is all you really need to own your own home. Also the median house price of 500k is not what you need to get into the market either. Plenty and plenty of nice and decent established homes in various suburbs under 400k."

"Who the hell is buying a median price house for their first?!? Houses just sold in Girrawheen - brand new for $370k. It's partly the weird urge to buy the home you'll die in, when you don't have to..."

Trying to explain to these morons (who, incidentally, live in much nicer houses than the ones they're suggesting people buy) that those sub-400k houses in suburbs that 15 years ago were a long distance call from the city are a really poor investment. The bottom and top of the market always falls the hardest when a housing bubble bursts, and those people buying at 95% LVR are now closer to 110 or worse, in a market that's not loving moving. Most of the people in my suburb would be lucky to get $330 for a house that was valued at $450 last winter.

This poo poo is terrible advice, and you only see it from fuckheads in their late 30s that got it before poo poo got bad.

I had an agent on the phone asking me to buy a $650k unit in Richmond and guaranteeing it would be worth $780k+ by the time it was ready to move into in 2019. My response was "I don't think you should be saying these things."

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 15, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
QandA tonight will feature loud protests so thats going to be a thing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Lid posted:

You and Milky taking it IRL?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

What is the theme for tonight's episode of Unwatchable poo poo Factory?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

JBP posted:

It depends what you do with it, but if you put it in an investment account that mirrored my super fund's mix of investments it would make more than $10k a year, which is all my rent paid in full.

I see you don't live in Sydney.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Lid posted:

By whom and against whom? Every person on that panel is a current heckle risk.

JBP posted:

What is the theme for tonight's episode of Unwatchable poo poo Factory?

Birmo, Bowen, Larissa Waters, some hack from an industry association, and an academic from ANU's Tax & Transfer Policy Institute. I'm assuming it's going to be "Gonski 2.0" and budget recap?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Futuresight posted:

I see you don't live in Sydney.

I live in Melbourne, which isn't as bad (it's not quite in full, but it's 90% of my rent). Do Sydney rents run over $1000 a month for sharing with another person??

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

$130 a week gets you a tent in the backyard of a bunch of people heavily involved in the 'doof community'.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

JBP posted:

I live in Melbourne, which isn't as bad (it's not quite in full, but it's 90% of my rent). Do Sydney rents run over $1000 a month for sharing with another person??

That actually sounds about right if you're sharing in Sydney, depending on various factors of course like where exactly in Sydney.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Futuresight posted:

That actually sounds about right if you're sharing in Sydney, depending on various factors of course like where exactly in Sydney.

I just smashed Redfern into the rental house website and a 2br rough looking townhouse was $650p/w lmao.

Holy poo poo if you want to live off the street in a tiny apartment they're charging $650p/w... Magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

I just smashed Redfern into the rental house website and a 2br rough looking townhouse was $650p/w lmao.

Holy poo poo if you want to live off the street in a tiny apartment they're charging $650p/w... Magnificent.

It's going to be a bit more cyclical than some other areas because of the Uni but that's not unrepresentative of the inner suburbs at all.

• Locked thread