Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

hooman posted:

I'll take "unintended outcomes" for 500, thanks Jim.

Or, I'll take "cynically intended unintended outcomes" for 1000.

Basically my view is that it risks disenfranchisement of students (telling a kid in year 9 they can't get an HSC mark or risk a school saying "you won't get an HSC so we can't have you dragging down our HSC students by letting you do HSC streamed courses") for no actual benefit.

Yeah definitely this. Plus there are barely any apprentice positions for 16 year olds, so they just get stuck in unemployment when they could at least be benefitting from HSC. It's a ridiculously counter-productive policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah definitely this. Plus there are barely any apprentice positions for 16 year olds, so they just get stuck in unemployment when they could at least be benefitting from HSC. It's a ridiculously counter-productive policy.
Young people? On unemployment benefits? Not under this LNP Government!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

V for Vegas posted:

I don't know, when the State provides you with a 500 metre bus route, it can't be that bad. How will the good people of Kingsford and Daceyville survive without the 342?

I think that route is outside the region that's affected by the change.

Business Insider posted:

The government will continue to own Region 6 buses and assets, including depots, and set Opal fares and timetables.

Private operators will have to compete and re-apply for contracts every 5 to 10 years. The tender will begin in July 2017 and is expected to be completed by July 2018.

The minister said Sydney Buses will continue to operate three of the state’s 15 regions – 7, 8 and 9 – which includes the inner metropolitan areas of the eastern, and southern and northern suburbs, including the CBD.

Sydney transit regions.

quote:

OUR 10 MOST COMPLAINED ABOUT BUS ROUTES

(July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016)

400 — Burwood to Bondi Junction via Airport: 658 (complaints)
418 — Burwood to Bondi Junction via Ashfield: 613
440 — Rozelle to Bronte via Central — 510
423 — Earlwood to City: 393
412 — Campsie to City via Earlwood: 375
492 — Drummoyne to Rockdale: 374
461 — Burwood to City via Parramatta Rd: 306
470 — Lilyfield to City via Annandale: 276
438 — Abbotsford to City via Leichhardt: 274
422 — St Peters to City: 269
Gee it's like Parramatta Road is a shitfight

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Queensland Greens polling as well as Victorian Greens.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/864016292080099328

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

I'm sure that the everything else Brandis has done has helped drive nails into the coffin. He doesn't exactly scream success.

But stripes are so slimming.

No no vertical stripes Georgie boy. Vertical like all the books you own that are safely stored pristine on those fancy bookshelves.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

But stripes are so slimming.

No no vertical stripes Georgie boy. Vertical like all the books you own that are safely stored pristine on those fancy bookshelves.

Some Psychology URL posted:

It’s a common belief that if you want to appear slimmer than you actually are, you should wear clothes with vertical stripes. The classical pinstriped business suit would be an example of this sort of clothing masquerading a few extra pounds.

It turns out that this folk belief is fundamentally wrong. A square composed of horizontal lines appears taller and narrower than an identical square made up of vertical lines.

This illusion was discovered by Hermann von Helmholtz in 1925, and is also known as the Helmholtz illusion. Helmholtz’s explanation of the illusion was that a filled out area looks longer than an unfilled area of the same size. His thought was that the figure with horizontal stripes looks filled and hence longer from bottom up, whereas the square with vertical lines looks filled and hence longer from left to right. This then generates the illusion that the square with horizontal lines is taller and slimmer than the same-sized square with vertical stripes, which looks short and fat.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Bogan King posted:

QLD has some pretty legit and decent Greens candidates, IIRC there's a good chance they might win South Brisbane or Moggil at the next state election.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
or Lytton!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
ok maybe not, but I can dream

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think that route is outside the region that's affected by the change.

Sydney transit regions.

Gee it's like Parramatta Road is a shitfight

Yeah thats like a wheres where of crossing Parramatta Road

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Lid posted:

Yeah thats like a wheres where of crossing Parramatta Road

I wonder how it stacks up to a heat map of bus usage. That is some crazy buys routes and the fact that they're just using raw numbers to sell it seems sketchy as gently caress. I'd really like to see a complaints / 1,000 passengers breakdown or some such.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

ome loans to investors have fallen to the lowest level in 10 months following a regulatory clampdown and the Turnbull government's efforts to cool the Sydney and Melbourne housing market.

Figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Monday show home loans to investors as a proportion of all loans dropped 1.25 per cent in March to 48 per cent, down from a high of over half of all home loans in January.

The slide has triggered a dip in property prices across five of Australia's capital cities, fuelling speculation of the end of the property boom.

The latest results from CoreLogic show the price of homes across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth falling by 0.5 per cent for the week and 0.9 per cent for the month.

Sydney's house prices had not fallen in 18 months prior to April, while the number of home loan approvals fell 0.5 per cent in March, dashing expectations of a flat result. Overall, the total value of lending to investors moved slightly higher in March after a 5.7 per cent fall in February.

The figures have been released a week after the federal budget placed further restrictions on the market.

The government has targeted investors by limiting the depreciation of equipment and travel costs they can claim with rental properties, restricting the number of foreign buyers in new developments, reducing capital gains tax concessions for foreigners and placing a levy on foreign owners who leave investment properties vacant.

The numbers also reflect the reaction of the big four banks to comments by Treasurer Scott Morrison in the last week of March after he voiced concerns over the "sharp increase in the level of investor credit", and that measures to stop the growth in risky loans put in place by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) had worn off.

All of Australia's major banks moved swiftly by raising interest rates on investor loans by 0.25 per cent, before sweeping measures were introduced by APRA to force banks to limit interest-only lending to 30 per cent of total new residential mortgage lending.

Since last year, National Australia Bank has had a confidential list of hundreds of suburbs including the Rocks in Sydney, and Docklands in Melbourne, where would-be home owners would have to front up with bigger deposits and stricter lending conditions.

JPMorgan has warned housing investors to prepare for a rate rise of as much as 3 per cent to cope with the new regulations.

Today's housing finance data provides a fairly strong signal that property market activity is beginning to slow.

JPMorgan economist Henry St John
"Taken with the context of last month's report, today's housing finance data provides a fairly strong signal that property market activity is beginning to slow," JPMorgan economist Henry St John said.

In further rate rise threats, banks could hike rates for both investors and owner occupiers across the board, the chief executives of the Commonwealth Bank, ANZ bank, NAB and Westpac have warned, as they threaten to pass on the cost of the $6 billion federal budget levy on banks' profits.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull admitted on Monday the government would be unable to stop the banks from passing on the levy, but hoped that by exempting smaller banks, the threat of losing customers would prevent the big four from doing so.

"Really it's a combination of transparency and competition that will ensure they're under pressure to do the right thing," he told radio station 2SM.

A rate hike could hit first-home buyers who have become more competitive in the market as a result of the government's changes.

According to the ABS, the number of first-home buyer commitments as a percentage of total owner-occupied housing finance commitments rose to 13.6 per cent in March, from 13.3 per cent in February.

Of the loans made to owner occupiers, one in eight was used to build a new house, therefore increasing supply and helping to ease affordability, while only one in 12 loans made to investors was to build a new property, pushing up prices.

The government hopes that allowing first-home buyers to salary sacrifice up to $30,000 in pre-tax income into their super accounts will give them better access to the market.

But an analysis of the government's figures show that savers would be able to put away only an extra 1 per cent of the median property price in its target markets of Sydney and Melbourne under the government's changes.

Speaking at the Australian Council of Social Services on Monday, Mr Morrison repeated that there were no "silver bullet solutions to making housing more affordable", while warning that sweeping adjustments to policy settings in housing "risk cooling some red-hot markets while at the same time, causing a collapse in markets that are weak".

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/DaisyCousens/status/864013374924791808

So it looks like Beautiful Daisy™ created it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Expect a shitload more rabid invest stories then as people try to crank the heat back up and make more money.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

It's... happening?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bogan King posted:

Expect a shitload more rabid invest stories then as people try to crank the heat back up and make more money.

Gotta love a Dead Cat Bounce

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lid posted:

It's... happening?

maybe, i suspect it will need a year or so of stagnation for the investors to pull out in a big way and trigger a crash

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's been a difficult couple of months for celebrity chef George Calombaris.

First, there were the revelations that his restaurant empire had underpaid staff by $2.6 million over multiple years.

Then, he was charged with common assault after video emerged of him shoving a teenage soccer fan at the A-League grand final.

Now, the MasterChef star is in more hot water, with one of his flagship Hellenic Republic restaurants facing legal action over a mass food poisoning outbreak.

lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Saw George planned that this exact moment was when to expand his empire to NSW. It must be one of those everythings going wrong lets right this ship. Oh poo poo we capsized.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/news/george-calombaris-lays-ground-work-for-sydney-empire-20170512-gw3dpy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

It's... happening?

Burn it all down.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Bogan King posted:

NSW greens 16% :getin:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm loving all the dramatic hacker footage on abc news.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm loving all the dramatic hacker footage on abc news.

are there many silhouettes of people sitting in front of computer screens in darkened rooms?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

are there many silhouettes of people sitting in front of computer screens in darkened rooms?

Yes. Plus footage of some antivirus vendor office with company logos splashed all over the place.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

gay picnic defence posted:

Don't doxx CrazyTolradi

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bogan King posted:

I wonder which self absorbed, power hungry, unhinged sack of poo poo the top of the Greens ticket is helping to drag the SA vote down?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder which self absorbed, power hungry, unhinged sack of poo poo the top of the Greens ticket is helping to drag the SA vote down?

We're all friends here you don't have to be SHY about what you say.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Don't doxx CrazyTolradi
I keep my lights on, thank you very much. Otherwise there's grues and things.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

It's almost like all politicians are bad.

Except for the ones in AusPol of course. Being a goon is probably the best training any of them could hope for.

Compare the conduct in Parliament to what you see on SA and we're practically angelic.
(I have no political connections so I'm free to talk out my arse on this topic)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I went back a couple pages to check so hopefully I didn't miss anyone else posting this:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/may/15/up-to-70-news-corp-australia-photographers-made-redundant

The bucket of money being poured into the News Corp propaganda machine appears to be running out.

Of course they fired photographers instead of opinion piece writers so you know where their priority still is.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/864071468530913280

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

65+ for Albo is the weirdest thing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

It doesn't ask preferred leader to only ALP voters do you're going to see stupid noise. Just a funny thing to laugh at not read something into.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Which one of you made the Daisy Cousens fan page?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which one of you made the Daisy Cousens fan page?

It was our collective will made manifest by the noosphere reflected in the the internet.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Hi all,

I've got an international student who's had a death in the family, and has taken it hard, what with being away from home and not able to attend the funeral. They're in Sydney, and I don't know the mental health support for NSW, and beyond messages I can't be there to help out.

Besides going through her university international student support system which may or may not be crap. What other free resources are they that they can use?

I've got

Mental Health Line - Phone 1800 011 511 and something called http://www.nalag.org.au

I don't think shes in danger of suicide, and don't know if Lifeline is appropriate.

Cheers all

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Dickheads who heckle during Q&A are annoying, but also, Simon Birmingham sucks and the uni fee changes are bullshit, so I'm torn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Out of my area of knowledge but check Beyond Blue - there might be a list of resources or some ideas.
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

• Locked thread