Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The old lady probably is an alcoholic and was lashing out at anyone who got too close to the truth

Edit: gently caress, now I'm on her shitlist as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArtist 314
Dec 25, 2004

What is your purpose?!

I just wanna rock!
My mother was on dialysis for years in her early 50s due to a genetic kidney disorder and it's really uncommon for people to understand dialysis until you explain it.

Plus if you're lucky you get a large stent put in your arm to make it easy to hook up to the machine so frequently, but it looks like you have a terrible heroin problem. She had to deal with sideways glances all the time and stopped wearing short sleeves until she, thankfully, got a transplant over 4 years later.

It's no joke and people can be ignorant so I can somewhat understand that womans annoyance. To call the process draining is an understatement. And gently caress for-profit healthcare.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Your kidneys help you pee away toxic waste, mine don't."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Potato Salad posted:

"Your kidneys help you pee away toxic waste, mine don't."

That's great, but it wouldn't have helped that woman because the other person assumed the REASON for that was alcoholism.

It's really the same bullshit that came up in the aftermath of the healthcare bill where it was suggested that people with diabetes shouldn't be covered since they 'did it to themselves' through poor diet.

People become incredibly judgmental of other's medical conditions when they feel that someone should be able to do something to avoid or resolve it.

Hell, I got that in middle school from a classmate due to my color-blindness. She was under the mistaken thought that color blindness was solved by glasses and I had undergone surgery the previous summer that resolved my need to wear glasses. Well, something came up in classwork that I couldn't do because I couldn't distinguish the shades. I got a real snarky, "It's your fault because you aren't wearing your glasses" from her. That's obviously really scaled back from the reactions others get for their conditions, but it represents a mindset that people get ingrained with early on. "I'm healthy and it's too scary to think about that changing, so I'm going to assume everyone with some sort of condition got there due to their choices."

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I need to get myself a high quality screenshot of that Chef Boyardee funeral.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Canned Panda posted:

Every time someone plops out a can of that poo poo into a bowl it's a funeral for hopes and dreams.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The Man in the Iron Mask is an awesome movie, and Leo spends little on-screen time in the mask. :colbert:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Canned Panda posted:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This was a good one. An in-depth story on something most people don't really know much about. There are a lot of surprising things like that in Nixon's presidency. He was a pretty competent president when he wasn't busy with dirty politics and paranoid delusions. He was the one person in the country who never had to worry about being accused of being a communist sympathizer, so of course he could do a little socialized healthcare or opening relations with China.

I've seen way worse pizzas than what that New Zealander made though. John Oliver's making a big deal out of nothing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

This was a good one. An in-depth story on something most people don't really know much about. There are a lot of surprising things like that in Nixon's presidency. He was a pretty competent president when he wasn't busy with dirty politics and paranoid delusions. He was the one person in the country who never had to worry about being accused of being a communist sympathizer, so of course he could do a little socialized healthcare or opening relations with China.

I've seen way worse pizzas than what that New Zealander made though. John Oliver's making a big deal out of nothing.

The strangest thing about Nixon's legacy is that he was actually a pretty good politician (note: do not confuse this with me saying he was a good person), and probably didn't need to do all the shady poo poo that ultimately cost him the presidency. He was a guy that was compelled to cheat even though he didn't have to.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The strangest thing about Nixon's legacy is that he was actually a pretty good politician (note: do not confuse this with me saying he was a good person), and probably didn't need to do all the shady poo poo that ultimately cost him the presidency. He was a guy that was compelled to cheat even though he didn't have to.

Probably?

Dude was super popular at the time, and a really good President.

He was also just a really lovely person who was so paranoid that he hosed himself and his legacy over for all time. You can be both things.

Trump would likely like to be both things but well, he's Trump.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that was the point. The guy kind of called him out by saying he didn't think he was funny, so John latched on to anything he could find and made a mountain out of a molehill just to have some comedy material. If he's making a big deal about nothing it's that he got overly annoyed at the guy for saying he wasn't funny, but ultimately I imagine that was just another act for the sake of comedy.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Nixon is often used as an example of a self-destructive personality, someone who was successful and even deserving of a lot of that success but just couldn't believe he deserved it on a psychological and emotional level so went out of his way to destroy it all in various ways, thus proving he didn't deserve it. I only saw the final 1/3rd of so of the Frost/Nixon film but I really liked that in the finale Frost and Nixon showed a lot of respect for each other and Nixon was actually portrayed quite human and flawed but not a monster in the parts I saw.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bull3964 posted:

That's great, but it wouldn't have helped that woman because the other person assumed the REASON for that was alcoholism.

It's really the same bullshit that came up in the aftermath of the healthcare bill where it was suggested that people with diabetes shouldn't be covered since they 'did it to themselves' through poor diet.

People become incredibly judgmental of other's medical conditions when they feel that someone should be able to do something to avoid or resolve it.

Hell, I got that in middle school from a classmate due to my color-blindness. She was under the mistaken thought that color blindness was solved by glasses and I had undergone surgery the previous summer that resolved my need to wear glasses. Well, something came up in classwork that I couldn't do because I couldn't distinguish the shades. I got a real snarky, "It's your fault because you aren't wearing your glasses" from her. That's obviously really scaled back from the reactions others get for their conditions, but it represents a mindset that people get ingrained with early on. "I'm healthy and it's too scary to think about that changing, so I'm going to assume everyone with some sort of condition got there due to their choices."

When you say "people", please be aware that you mean "Americans".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SlothfulCobra posted:

A decent part of Nixon's "good deeds" are things that he knew he was going to lose on so he made the inevitable loss as much a win as possible. Toss some bones to Health Care and you prevent single payer, agree to a minimum income but insist on an intentionally low amount that makes it more likely to either blow up or be less "bad" if it passes. Fight tooth and nail, then pretend that the popular things were totally your doing.

Orange Devil posted:

When you say "people", please be aware that you mean "Americans".

America isn't the only country with people who don't think things out and do not realize they are generally uninformed. We just amplify their ignorant voices the most.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
gently caress the John Oliver haters who think he just lazily panders to liberals who want him to bash Trump; last night's bit is his real passion; pointing out how the government intervention has done a lot of good; and that greed and egomaniac CEOs are the ones causing needless suffering.

Oh yeah, Nixon was bad. He would've went full Reagan before Reagan if he could have. All the good stuff Nixon has done could be explained by how he was a Republican president operating in the post-New Deal climate. Ultimately, those good things should register as positives when evaluating him, but Nixon was a sociopath for all the reasons people are familiar with. And we're still living with much of the damage he's caused.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 15, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you want to break it down, there were agreeable things said by almost any Republican in the days between Kennedy and Reagan. Goldwater was concerned about religious kooks taking over the party. Nixon enabled the religious people in a grasp for power, though he later regretted the beast he created, but he was open to a public health law that resembles Obamacare.

Also, JFK was a big hawk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Really, literally everything looks preferable to what we have right now. I'm starting to miss Dubya, for gently caress sake!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SlothfulCobra posted:

You've seen worse pizza than sphagettio's? Even if it didn't come in a tin can pasta on a pizza is just disgusting.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Japanese pizza is pretty loving weird

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

PT6A posted:

Really, literally everything looks preferable to what we have right now. I'm starting to miss Dubya, for gently caress sake!
I don't miss Dubya. The Bush/Cheney years were grim.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

GutBomb posted:

Japanese pizza is pretty loving weird

They have a couple options on the menu without mayo and corn, those are alright

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just caught the episode and man, there is a shot ton more to talk about. So Nixon passed a law saying that anyone who needs dialysis gets it. Part of that law also says that you can not discharge a patient needing dialysis from the hospital until they have a secured dialysis appointment. Then, years later, another law was passed (guess which party!) that said that the government wouldn't pay for the dialysis for any undocumented aliens. So you have two outcomes, a patient being kept in the hospital and receiving dialysis inpatient or "scheduling" the patient for emergency dialysis. The former I have seen a couple times, hell at one hospital I worked at the guy worked at the gift store in the hospital and received dialysis three times a week, and stayed overnight in the hospital. This went on for months until eventually a charity got involved. Tax payers paid for that instead of footing the bill for his outpatient dialysis, which would be maybe 5% of the cost of an inpatient stay with dialysis.

As for the ones who get it emergently, they basically have to leave AMA/AWOL, and are coached to say the right things so they walk into an ER and get emergency dialysis there. Its costs 6 times as much (this figure is like 5 years old, so it may have changed) to get emergency dialysis than in an outpatient center, and that doesn't even account for the doctors bills and labs etc. Again, taxpayers are footing the bill at a significantly higher rate than if they were allowed to get outpatient dialysis.

Lastly, about that mortality thing. Its absolutely true. Many countries have daily dialysis or 5-6 times a week instead of 3. They do so much better. The problem is that the government will only pay for 3 times a week despite the evidence demonstrating its not enough.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't miss Dubya. The Bush/Cheney years were grim.

Yeah, but there was less existential terror and fear for the possible collapse of the republic.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Yeah, but there was less existential terror and fear for the possible collapse of the republic.

Dick Cheney was like the Emperor from Star Wars, an unquestioningly malicious but still competent form of evil. He was absolutely a ghoul with a horrifying agenda, but it wasn't unstable.

Trump is that one Twilight Zone episode where a 10-year-old can alter reality with his mind. All bets are off and we could all die tomorrow. Nothing is guaranteed and fear is the new reality.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dog pizza best pizza.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Xealot posted:

Dick Cheney was like the Emperor from Star Wars, an unquestioningly malicious but still competent form of evil. He was absolutely a ghoul with a horrifying agenda, but it wasn't unstable.

Trump is that one Twilight Zone episode where a 10-year-old can alter reality with his mind. All bets are off and we could all die tomorrow. Nothing is guaranteed and fear is the new reality.

Someone with better skills than me needs to have Bill Mumy replaced with Trump and everyone getting wished into the cornfield!
(It's A Good Life)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Echo Chamber posted:

gently caress the John Oliver haters who think he just lazily panders to liberals who want him to bash Trump

while he does some unapologetically terrible bits like the drumpf thing and has a grating manner sometimes, I'm convinced a lot of the leftists who hate the show have barely given it a chance and warped it into something it isn't in their minds

otoh he had the hamilton guy on to talk about something that had nothing to do with hamilton, so I guess he's worse than a neo-nazi and lamer than fallon

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

doesn't compute

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wizard on a water slide posted:

while he does some unapologetically terrible bits like the drumpf thing and has a grating manner sometimes, I'm convinced a lot of the leftists who hate the show have barely given it a chance and warped it into something it isn't in their minds

otoh he had the hamilton guy on to talk about something that had nothing to do with hamilton, so I guess he's worse than a neo-nazi and lamer than fallon

Wait are you upset that he asked a famous Puerto Rican to plead his case for bailing out Puerto Rico?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

doesn't compute

Jay Leno.

My politics are to the left of Gandhi and I watch this religiously. Methinks people just like to bitch. :v:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Wait are you upset that he asked a famous Puerto Rican to plead his case for bailing out Puerto Rico?
Do you understand sarcasm?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Drumpf thing owned real hard though

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Echo Chamber posted:

Not this time, clearly. In my defense I was just arguing with some Trump supporters about recent events so I was in the mode of assuming the other person is deadly serious about the dumbest poo poo.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I sympathize (and often flat out agree) with a lot of the disenchantment the Left has with cosmopolitan liberalism, specifically how it has manifested culturally in the non-news media and satire. Like I don't think SNL is "woke" by any stretch of the imagination. I've been a long time fan of The Daily Show family, but I've been more annoyed than I'd like to be at Sam Bee's eagerness to punch left while she's building her own progressive personal brand.

That all said, I do find it frustrating that both John Oliver and Lin Manuel Miranda both have become symbols of that liberal arrogance too. Oliver's bit about school segregation indicts liberal hypocrisy instead of covering it up. And John Oliver loves bashing corporations (with nuance) and avoids bashing Red State America. And LMM has talked a lot about growing up poor and how he relates to all those people who will never see a Broadway show in their lives.

That's why I particularly enjoyed Sunday's bit. It's John Oliver being John Oliver again.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 16, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

And John Oliver loves bashing corporations (with nuance) and avoids bashing Red State America.

Not just avoids bashing Red State America - he's done segments that specifically cover issues faced by rural Americans that are otherwise pretty widely ignored, like the bit about chicken farmers or the effects that the oil industry has had on North Dakota.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

raditts posted:

The Drumpf thing owned real hard though

It only really started sucking when the fanboys adopted it and ran it into the ground for months and months. A guy I know here in Australia was still using Drumpf up until just a few weeks ago.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gyges posted:

America isn't the only country with people who don't think things out and do not realize they are generally uninformed. We just amplify their ignorant voices the most.

This part right here

quote:

That's obviously really scaled back from the reactions others get for their conditions, but it represents a mindset that people get ingrained with early on.

I do not recognize that in people I know outside of Americans.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

It was not your post he was responding to, so it may not be sarcasm. Either way it's loving tough to impart sarcasm online and usually comes across as someone being a loving idiot, so I gave up on giving them the benefit of the doubt, as most everybody else has.

If a third party needs to step in to identify sarcasm between two parties communicating via a text medium - then the one who's being defended, doesn't deserve to be defended because they are too sloppy or lazy to care or defend their words.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It only really started sucking when the fanboys adopted it and ran it into the ground for months and months. A guy I know here in Australia was still using Drumpf up until just a few weeks ago.

I still have the chrome filter plugin installed and I regret nothing

Echo Chamber posted:

That all said, I do find it frustrating that both John Oliver and Lin Manuel Miranda both have become symbols of that liberal arrogance too. Oliver's bit about school segregation indicts liberal hypocrisy instead of covering it up. And John Oliver loves bashing corporations (with nuance) and avoids bashing Red State America. And LMM has talked a lot about growing up poor and how he relates to all those people who will never see a Broadway show in their lives.

It's also interesting that LMM has become such a popular target, despite hardly being the first person to have a wildly successful show on Broadway.
For the life of me I can't figure out why, though... I can't think of a single reason why...

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's an Anti-Federalist plot.

• Locked thread