Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Motto posted:

this

it has some of the worst art, music, and SFX ever to be featured in a notable videogame but got decent reviews for some ungodly reason. it's not online anymore but 1up somehow gave it a loving 10

e: hell eurogamer gave it a 7 which is still ridiculous

When it came out, there were many people in this very forum claiming it was an actual Good Sonic Game. I don't know what the gently caress they were on, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
$5 million to port the game to the Switch. Oh my days.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to believe that shovel knight was the exception regarding kickstarters for videogames

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the graphics and sound did suck but the gameplay was okay and the writing was passable, especially for a Sonic game. It getting a 7 doesn't seem absurd or anything.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

I'm starting to believe that shovel knight was the exception regarding kickstarters for videogames

Oh please, there have been a ton of good kickstarted games.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Mighty number 9 called...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nobody even posted the best part of sonic chronicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9z7iRFfMzk

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grim Dawn ended up okay, but that's because it was basically a repackaged Titan Quest. I really want Shenmue 3 to be good. That is my history of supporting games through kickstarter.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm still waiting on La-Mulana 2 and Pathologic, please don't say bad things about Kickstarter, I don't want to get worried.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Paradox's joke about "Make Space Great Again" was a bad look in hindsight, I can't believe anyone would walk willingly into it in 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FauxLeather posted:

$5 million to port the game to the Switch. Oh my days.

Also the stretch goals all seem to be backer-exclusive add-ons which is messed up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

an actual dog posted:

That cool Rap Rabbit thing that was announced? it's a kickstarter.

I'm looking at the page and having trouble finding anything that could remotely be described as "cool" here.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I finished Prey, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and looking at my games list for a palate cleanser, I somehow landed on FF9, so now I'm playing that for the first time in 17 years and that makes me feel old but whatevs I got FF9 on my pc with achievements and everything. Games is good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

raditts posted:

I'm looking at the page and having trouble finding anything that could remotely be described as "cool" here.

There was a cool looking teaser that I got unwisely excited about and I've now crashed down to earth.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what idiot called it rap rabbit instead of rab rappit

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I mean in theory a game made by the two guys that have made some of the best music games ever should be enough to be "cool", it just looks like they're blowing it in their pitch on almost every level.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 15, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean in theory a game made by the two guys that have made some of the best music games ever should be enough to be "cool", it just looks like they're blowing it in their pitch on almost every level.

*carefully studies game synopsis, then slowly nods and adds rejoinder* "...with roguelike elements."

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Also the stretch goals all seem to be backer-exclusive add-ons which is messed up.

I don't think I've ever 180 flipped from "what I've always wanted" to "gently caress this" so fast

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Just finished the Berserk PS2 game. I wouldn't mind Yuke's making another Berserk game. The game has awesome combat, and puts the Musou game to shame.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Haven't played the PS2 Berserk game. But the gameplay in the musou Berserk game was imo the best part.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The rhythm game I want is just miku or theatrhythm or something but with like 200 nintendo songs/remixes

e: just steal the smash 4 soundtrack I don't care

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

The rhythm game I want is just miku or theatrhythm or something but with like 200 nintendo songs/remixes

e: just steal the smash 4 soundtrack I don't care

This. On switch or 3DS or both.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sefal posted:

Haven't played the PS2 Berserk game. But the gameplay in the musou Berserk game was imo the best part.

The PS2 game has a very satisfying dismemberment mechanic, as well as actually fun boss battles. If you can find a way to play it, I recommend it. It has a fan (albeit rough) translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZO89Zo0DW4&t=60s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sefal posted:

Expeditions Conquistador

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Joe Gillian posted:

The PS2 game has a very satisfying dismemberment mechanic, as well as actually fun boss battles. If you can find a way to play it, I recommend it. It has a fan (albeit rough) translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZO89Zo0DW4&t=60s

I tried playing that fan translation on PCX2 but some graphic elements wouldn't show when using the GPU so the only option was to use software mode and that made the game run slower. This was a few years ago, however.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hardware mode in pcsx2 has always been fucky, and they still haven't done a lot to fix it in most games, so i wouldn't be surprised if that was still an issue

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I tried playing that fan translation on PCX2 but some graphic elements wouldn't show when using the GPU so the only option was to use software mode and that made the game run slower. This was a few years ago, however.

Since the release of 1.40, there has been a workaround that allows you to play in Hardware mode with a functional UI, if you select "Preload Data Frame" in the "Configure Hacks" part of the plugin options. The problem with this is that the subtitles only appear in the software render for the cutscenes, so the recommended option is to have "Switch GSdx to software during FMV cutscenes", however the UI gets funky when switching display modes after cutscenes, so the user has to quickly make and load a save state to reset the bug. Conversely you can just ignore the cutscenes in-game, and watch them later in the "Prize Box" mode consecutively.

The next official PSCX2 build seems to be addressing the issue, at least when using OpenGL to render.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 15, 2017

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
It's worth trying one of the latest git daily versions of PCSX2, they've fixed quite a wide array of graphics issues that plagued some of the more demanding games. Ratchet and Clank used some kind of weird texture decompression methods called "mipmapping" making the game a nightmare to emulate to a relatively high resolution. Same with Ace Combat and probably some others I'm forgetting. They emulate really well now.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Sefal posted:

Undertale and Night in the Woods were also Kickstarter games, OP

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stop proving his point

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQ0WsR0gIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfpDYcdvPf8&t=169s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FauxLeather posted:

It's worth trying one of the latest git daily versions of PCSX2, they've fixed quite a wide array of graphics issues that plagued some of the more demanding games. Ratchet and Clank used some kind of weird texture decompression methods called "mipmapping" making the game a nightmare to emulate to a relatively high resolution. Same with Ace Combat and probably some others I'm forgetting. They emulate really well now.

it's not that it was a nightmare to emulate to a high resolution, the textures hosed up on any resolution because the hardware backend literally just did not support it, and it still technically doesn't, the fixes they've made only apply to specific games that they've taken the time to fix

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the world needs the Elite Beat Agents again

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I started playing Chrono Cross again and I still really like it, what's wrong with me?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Your problem is that you like good games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

poo poo is there anything otc for that

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Phantasium posted:

I started playing Chrono Cross again and I still really like it, what's wrong with me?

It's one of my fav jrpgs even though it obviously has tons of problems

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Phantasium posted:

A lot, apparently.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Undertale and Night in the Woods were also Kickstarter games, OP

Kickstarted games also include FTL, Hyper Light Drifter, Kentucky Route Zero, Shantae, Superhot, the new Torment, Shadowrun, Lisa, Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeons, Sportsfriends, Freedom Planet, Risk of Rain, The Fall, Octodad, Some of the best pinball tables ever for Pinball Arcade, Valdis Story, Volgarr The Viking, Divinity, Divekick, Hollow Knight and probably others.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the ratio of good to bad Kickstarter games is skewed heavily towards the mediocre to terrible but when people act like Shovel Knight is only good thing to come out of Kickstarter, I find it a bit disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

poo poo is there anything otc for that
play Xenosaga 2 and you'll hate games forever

• Locked thread