Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

AG3 posted:

It annoyed me that I couldn't turn down his girl hunting during the beach, especially considering Joker was already dating someone. Likewise it struck me as odd that Ann and Makoto mention how the guys can't steal hearts outside of the Metaverse considering Joker was dating them (in two separate games; don't cheat on your waifu). I wish the game was better at being reactive to things like that, it doesn't take much to change a few lines and it works wonders for ~immersion~.

I guess they feel that it's a tradition in Persona games to have that though so they aren't likely to change it at this point.

Ann: I guess you boys can't steal hearts!

Joker: *voice rising in volume* we literally MADE OUT ON A FERRIS WHEEL IT WAS THE MOST ROMANTIC THING EVER WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The romance in Persona games is bad.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

AG3 posted:

It annoyed me that I couldn't turn down his girl hunting during the beach, especially considering Joker was already dating someone. Likewise it struck me as odd that Ann and Makoto mention how the guys can't steal hearts outside of the Metaverse considering Joker was dating them (in two separate games; don't cheat on your waifu). I wish the game was better at being reactive to things like that, it doesn't take much to change a few lines and it works wonders for ~immersion~.

I guess they feel that it's a tradition in Persona games to have that though so they aren't likely to change it at this point.

Well i'm not sure if it's scripted or changes based on who you date. but at the end of the game
when you are prompted about the future and you say mariage. Makoto who I was dating in the 1st playthrough. reacted to that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

Well i'm not sure if it's scripted or changes based on who you date. but at the end of the game
when you are prompted about the future and you say mariage. Makoto who I was dating in the 1st playthrough. reacted to that.

It is indeed affected by whom you're dating.

The Deleter posted:

Joker: *voice rising in volume* we literally MADE OUT ON A FERRIS WHEEL IT WAS THE MOST ROMANTIC THING EVER WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Pfft, no.

Anytime a Persona game goes black and says "you shared an intimate moment", the correct thing to do is assume they hosed like animals. And In Persona 5's case, while Joker is explaining the act in graphic detail, involving hand gestures, to Sae during the interrogation.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is indeed affected by whom you're dating.

Pfft, no.

Anytime a Persona game goes black and says "you shared an intimate moment", the correct thing to do is assume they hosed like animals. And In Persona 5's case, while Joker is explaining the act in graphic detail, involving hand gestures, to Sae during the interrogation.

Especially if it's Makoto.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pfft, no.

Joker is a good boy who does not overshare :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even if true, said info is the requisite amount of sharing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It's the drugs, he couldn't help it.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
And then I hosed my teammate, the student council president of Shujin academy, the sister of a high-ranking prosecutor.

No of course Makoto isn't a phantom thief, why would you say that?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/852699061522120704

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

:yeah:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to get to the bit where joker raw dogs her in p5+

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The Deleter posted:

I want an option to passive aggressively hint that it must mean I'm single and I should considering finding someone to make sweet summer memories with.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Deleter posted:

Joker: Hold on, I'm getting a text from our home room teacher. I need to make a call. :smug:

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Finally beat the game (95 hrs; jesus). Managed to get all the S.Links with like 1 day to spare, so I feel pretty good about that. I really like that it's actually doable without a specific schedule, though you probably still need some advice/spoilers to be able to pull it off.

Mechanically and Aesthetically, the game is top notch. Rivers in the Desert is pretty quiet and I didn't realize how hype it actually is until listening to it later. The English VA direction is mysterious but the acting itself seemed fine up until I swapped over the japanese voice pack.

The writing is good overall, but I'm not a big fan of how the in media res was used. Every scene with the SUI Director should probably just be removed from the game. Dude exists to dump exposition I already know about or to spoil future/current plot beats. Ryuji is my least liked party member overall because he is a loud-mouthed idiot and I would be the adult that calls him garbage to his face. Haru probably should have been introduced way sooner than "is now suddenly plot relevant." Also, it would have saved Kawakami the embarassment of getting dumped for a younger girl.

End Game Spoiler Thoughts
Igor's Voice didn't set off any flags for me because I thought it was just a weird thing they were doing because his original VA died. Interesting if that was intentional.
I was really happy when Morgana came back even if it was super obvious that he would.
I feel like being able to fuse the velvet room attendants together has important implications on the metaphysics of the series... but probably not.
I'm not sure I like how self-contained the game is. I really like metaplot, so I would have liked to see anyone from the P3 cast show up when weird poo poo starts happening in Tokyo of all places. Also, are we going to see anyone from the cast show up again as Persona users or is their story just done and over with? Am I going to end up buying P5: Arena for its Plot? (Yes).

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, this makes me think I should ask a broader question. I was planning on waiting to activate second awakening on all the teammates until after Palace 6 for thematic reasons. Will that work?

I'm wondering about this as well, for the same reasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Belgian Waffle posted:

Mechanically and Aesthetically, the game is top notch. Rivers in the Desert is pretty quiet and I didn't realize how hype it actually is until listening to it later. The English VA direction is mysterious but the acting itself seemed fine up until I swapped over the japanese voice pack.

Listen to the proper soundtrack release of Rivers in the Desert rather than just an upload on Youtube if you can, because it is amazing with proper bass. :rock:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It might be a bit tricky considering how far along you have Haru, since she opens up her link right before the 6th palace and there's a Rank 5 Profiencey requirement to even start it. You have 23 Days to before Palace 7's deadline so you have everyone at Rank 9 but her, and her at Rank 1 at worst it'll take like 15 days if you nail the questions. You don't really have to worry much about that with Haru since she's receptive to a lot of answers. Only big problem is that party member S. Links aren't avaliable to hang out a week before a Palace's deadline cause they really want to be hitting that palace.

So basically it's possible on paper, but might get a little tight. If that's what you wanna do, have everyone at Rank 9 before Palace 6 starts and try to make a bit of headway with Haru before you clear it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Listen to the proper soundtrack release of Rivers in the Desert rather than just an upload on Youtube if you can, because it is amazing with proper bass. :rock:

I remember saying that persona 4's final boss music was better than Persona 5's.
I'm taking that back. Rivers in the desert is loving amazing.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Moltrey posted:

It might be a bit tricky considering how far along you have Haru, since she opens up her link right before the 6th palace and there's a Rank 5 Profiencey requirement to even start it. You have 23 Days to before Palace 7's deadline so you have everyone at Rank 9 but her, and her at Rank 1 at worst it'll take like 15 days if you nail the questions. You don't really have to worry much about that with Haru since she's receptive to a lot of answers. Only big problem is that party member S. Links aren't avaliable to hang out a week before a Palace's deadline cause they really want to be hitting that palace.

So basically it's possible on paper, but might get a little tight. If that's what you wanna do, have everyone at Rank 9 before Palace 6 starts and try to make a bit of headway with Haru before you clear it.

Well, yeah, Haru is the big exception, by design.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rivers is over-exposed within the game and has no impact as a final boss track because of that.

It's a good song though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Rivers is over-exposed within the game and has no impact as a final boss track because of that.

It's a good song though.

Isn't it only used on Shido and the two grail fights, which only last a couple minutes? I wouldn't call that over exposed.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Isn't it only used on Shido and the two grail fights, which only last a couple minutes? I wouldn't call that over exposed.

Maybe don't spoil the fancy mystery endgame things for the folk still playing through the 100+ hour game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Isn't it only used on [things that arent the final boss], which only last a couple minutes? I wouldn't call that over exposed.

Yes.

But considering this is the final boss theme, being used at any given point before the final boss means it's over-exposed for a final boss theme.

Used against C&J too in the bonus boss

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe don't spoil the fancy mystery endgame things for the folk still playing through the 100+ hour game.

Thought I was in the other thread. Fixed it up.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

The song is what makes the Shido fight though, and it's what I most associate it with. Every other main plot fight, eh, probably could have just used Keeper of Lust or Blooming Villain. It's acceptably special for the bonus boss though, in my mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thought I was in the other thread. Fixed it up.

S'all good, it happens to us all at some point.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Moltrey posted:

It looks like I have 6 periods of slack (plus number of remaining Kawakami massages) in the evening compared to daytime, so I'm going to only do confidants in the daytime, if possible. I'll be fine if I can get past Makoto's stat lock.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's interesting that so many people aren't completing Ryuji's link as soon as possible. There's so few people for you to interact with during that time he basically becomes defacto to hang out with unless you're doing activities instead.

I think you can get to 4 before Ann's link even opens up? And even then she's not available every day.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harlock posted:

It's interesting that so many people aren't completing Ryuji's link as soon as possible. There's so few people for you to interact with during that time he basically becomes defacto to hang out with unless you're doing activities instead.

Issue is he has a night event and turning it down means he doesn't offer it again for a long while. (At least for me anyway. Took a good month for it to be offered again)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harlock posted:

I think you can get to 4 before Ann's link even opens up? And even then she's not available every day.
Yeah I maxed out Ryuji before doing the third palace, it's kinda silly.

There's a specific event where he's looking for that coach that has really specific dates to trigger, but I guess some people just get lucky with it

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I let Ryuji gather dust for a long while because he's been on permanent bench-warmer status ever since the second palace. No point in having his neato persona upgrade when I never use him :shrug:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Rainuwastaken posted:

I let Ryuji gather dust for a long while because he's been on permanent bench-warmer status ever since the second palace. No point in having his neato persona upgrade when I never use him :shrug:

You are playing the game wrong. This is incorrect. GWAaaaaaa

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

When they say you can choose to romance any of the female confidants, does that include Sae? Because if so, I know exactly what I'm angling for on NG+ Valentine's Day.

Harlock posted:

It's not that unusual. Even the least engaging confidants are bland at worse, but my approach in the early game is purely game theory. I know I'm going to need these social stats at some point, and Ryuuji offers to hang out enough that you can probably go from Rank 4-10 in like a week once you're ready.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 15, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harlock posted:

If you start out focusing on Death rather than Chariot - and if you know about the SP Adhesives then you probably will - then it's easy for Ryuji to fall by the wayside. He'll still be pretty low level once you start getting more daytime options.

Rangpur posted:

When they say you can choose to romance any of the female confidants, does that include Sae?

Nope. Nor the twins, fortunately.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

When they say you can choose to romance any of the female confidants, does that include Sae?

Since she's an auto confidant, no

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

drat. I was hoping to get the most awkward possible event on Valentine's Day for NG+.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Harlock posted:

I was holding off on him to do early social stat grinding, and then he didn't call for the nighttime event until the beginning of November. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

The Milkman posted:

You are playing the game wrong. This is incorrect. GWAaaaaaa

If it helps, I did get around to cranking his confidant up to around 8, and he's really grown on me as a character. Unfortunately he's kind of being an utter turd right now where I am in the story, so he hasn't won back a spot in the party.

Mechanically he just got unlucky. I held onto Agathion as my lightning-shooter for an unreasonable amount of time, and then I fused up an Isis with a boatload of different elements that's been carrying me since. I just don't need Ryuji's elemental coverage, and Yusuke's got that amazing physical move that gets boosted by a baton pass. "Fox, taking over" has been how a not-insignificant number of my fights lately have ended.