Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Evil_Urna posted:

How do you propose keeping them from leaving? Or just using legal methods to off shore their money? Come up with a practical solution that does not involve Gulags, as I know you all are quite fond of them.

What's wrong with them leaving? The whole point is taxing their income in the UK, that still happens if they live abroad but own businesses in the UK. Also you close those legal methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

How do you propose keeping them from leaving? Or just using legal methods to off shore their money? Come up with a practical solution that does not involve Gulags, as I know you all are quite fond of them.

The wall.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That's great.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

He's becoming the silent assassin. But, imho he should have used "make June the end of May" as the tagline.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Evil_Urna posted:

If they're already not paying tax, who the gently caress cares if they leave? Plus a huge amount of the money foreign investors have in Britain is physical stuff like London apartments. Good luck doing capital flight on literal bricks and mortar.

Also, you know Britain and America used to have a 90% top rate of tax before without everyone rich leaving right?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Should be worth a watch:

https://twitter.com/Channel4/status/864149080297140224

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ oh good a rerun of softball questions for the Tory, 'Putin would kick your arse in a fight m8' for Labour

I hope he pressed her on it because 'nah people don't wanna see that' is such an easy dodge

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 15, 2017

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Evil_Urna posted:

And France is financially on the ropes. You don't look at a dude falling down the stairs and think that looks fun and throw yourself down too.

And Corbyn' s guy was legit a part of the British communist party for most of his life. That's why I am calling him a commie.

How do you propose paying for all of this? The UK already has a major problem with the rich offshoring and hiding money. It is only gonna get worse of you decide to tax them at over 90 percent.

Seems like an exaggeration to say that France is on the ropes, unless you agree that the UK is equally on the ropes: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Government_finance_statistics

You're also taking things to an extreme by suggesting a 90% tax rate, which nobody is actually proposing. And no, they don't have it in France.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/864112801601785856

:eyepop:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I think we may have found Pissflaps day job.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Nah, the Sport is at least funny

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

He's been a communist party member for over 40 years and joined the Labor party in December.

Yes, I am aware of this. I specifically asked for examples of his defence of Stalinism. I don't care that he was in the CPB, he's in the Labour Party now. I would however care about recent examples of him defending Stalinism because that's a thing I cannot abide one bit. It's quite a serious accusation to throw at a comrade.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

replying to him

STOP

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

What's wrong with communists? They should be in charge of everything.

While UKCPHQ aka this thread has a view that Communism is the solution, the vast majority of people see Communists as enemies of the state. So having one in such a significant position is not going to down well. I expect the Tories to use it relentlessly as its another gift to them, although they are due another gift as Abbott has been quiet for a while.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, I am aware of this. I specifically asked for examples of his defence of Stalinism. I don't care that he was in the CPB, he's in the Labour Party now. I would however care about recent examples of him defending Stalinism because that's a thing I cannot abide one bit. It's quite a serious accusation to throw at a comrade.

If the British public by and large can't distinguish between Stalinism and Communism, why should Pissflaps?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

It's good that you're 'aware' of this but you specifically said

forkboy84 posted:

He's not a Communist, he's a member of the Labour Party & has been for several months.

which means you think people are going to be stupid enough to believe that a person who has been in the communist party for decades suddenly isn't a communist because Jeremy tapped him up for a job running the labour party's election campaign a few months ago.

Brainless decisions like this are why labour is in the toilet.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Evil_Urna posted:

All of the major points in the manifesto (rail, getting rid of tuition, building 100k consul flats etc) that are impossible to pay

Evil_Urna posted:

The UK already has a major problem with the rich offshoring and hiding money. It is only gonna get worse of you decide to tax them at over 90 percent.
These are two separate issues. People answered your first complaint and you responded by moving the goalposts. You're arguing in bad faith.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Labour have also announced taxes on big business and on stock trading, funnily enough the party that wants to raise lots of money for public services has multiple ways of doing it, not just "tax rich people"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I wonder what evil umas fave thing about the Nazis is, given his gimmick history

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

It's good that you're 'aware' of this but you specifically said

which means you think people are going to be stupid enough to believe that a person who has been in the communist party for decades suddenly isn't a communist because Jeremy tapped him up for a job running the labour party's election campaign a few months ago.

Brainless decisions like this are why labour is in the toilet.

I thought a pedantic like you would get the specific use of Communist to mean member of the Communist Party of Britain. He is a communist, he is no longer a Communist. The difference between proper nouns and common nouns, thought you'd appreciate that, apologies that you don't.

Anyway, those defences of Stalinism?

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Namtab posted:

I wonder what evil umas fave thing about the Nazis is, given his gimmick history

I thought I was quite clear earlier. I am not even right wing. I am a centrist like most politically mature people. There are ups and downs with both sides in the US and UK, and you gotta comprise to make the system work. The entire parliamentary system is based on give and take to get done what the people need. Not once side taking total control and ruling by fiat.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Evil_Urna posted:

I thought I was quite clear earlier. I am not even right wing. I am a centrist like most politically mature people. There are ups and downs with both sides in the US and UK, and you gotta comprise to make the system work. The entire parliamentary system is based on give and take to get done what the people need. Not once side taking total control and ruling by fiat.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't even know where to begin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

These are two separate issues. People answered your first complaint and you responded by moving the goalposts. You're arguing in bad faith.

They aren't wholly separate issues, they're linked by cause and effect. If you want to increase spending you need to increase revenue; this is indisputable. But you can't handwave it by saying "We'll increase taxes on the rich" when half the problem is that the rich are able to evade the taxes they should be paying now. Twice nothing is still nothing.

This is where your second issue comes in: how do we stop the rich evading taxes? And really there's only one issue, because if the rich only paid what they're already due we'd have no need to raise the taxes further. Remember Dave Hartnett and his £4.3bn sweetheart deal with Vodafone? If they'd been made to pay that tax it would have paid for every single local authority cut in Britain. Christ, we could probably cut the corporation tax rate and still be rolling in it if we actually made companies pay it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
As a thread role model i think stalinism is a good thing

TO POOP ON! :xd: :twisted:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Evil_Urna posted:

But do you think Hitler was right?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

He is a communist, he is no longer a Communist.

This is the most nuanced observation I've read in this thread for some time.

For the avoidance of doubt: I don't give a flying gently caress if you or he are offended by the term 'Stalinist'.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Evil_Urna posted:

The solution to parasites in your economy is not simply to leave them there, or do what May is doing and replace them with parasites of the Saudi Arabian kind.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

For the avoidance of doubt: I don't give a flying gently caress if you or he are offended by the term 'Stalinist'.

What a badass

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

That's because you tend not to read nuance.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Y'all aint never gonna learn :cripes:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Depends if he left the nazi party in December or not.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Y'all aint never gonna learn :cripes:

My name is Jeremy pissflaps and I don't give a FUK what u think.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Namtab posted:

Where did I say that? And what does a mid 20th century German dictator have anything to do with 2017 British politics? I dont think this thread needs any more derails.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The solution to parasites in your economy is not simply to leave them there, or do what May is doing and replace them with parasites of the Saudi Arabian kind.

When someone has large amounts of income, they tend to be able to just pick up and leave and make a go of it somewhere where they are not going to suffer vindictive taxation just because they are good at what they do.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

My name is Jeremy pissflaps and I don't give a FUK what u think.

Good reference, A+

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Where did I say that? And what does a mid 20th century German dictator have anything to do with 2017 British politics? I dont think this thread needs any more derails.

When someone has large amounts of income, they tend to be able to just pick up and leave and make a go of it somewhere where they are not going to suffer vindictive taxation just because they are good at what they do.

Having a functioning welfare state and NHS by taxing high earners at 50% is not "vindictive" you right-wing bellend.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Evil_Urna posted:

Most of us don't support gulags. We've moved on to just wanting your kind put up against a wall and shot.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

Most of us don't support gulags. We've moved on to just wanting your kind put up against a wall and shot.

Why would you want to murder a centrist? We make up the majority of the electorate. Kind of hard to have an economy and pay for your expansive welfare state when all of your earners are dead.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Evil_Urna posted:

vindictive taxation

loollllll cunttttttttt *millions of comedy trumpets fall from ceiling and start going toot*

Evil_Urna posted:

Why would you want to murder a centrist? We make up the majority of the electorate. Kind of hard to have an economy and pay for your expansive welfare state when all of your earners are dead.

For a laugh.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Evil_Urna posted:

Look I'm not the one with the "ironic" Nazi gimmick. I just want to know why you like Hitler so much.

(Also 20th century European history is totally relevant to British politics, some part of brexit is old people thinking that the eu is Germany's way of trying to rule over people, except economically instead of militarily. A thing you'd know if you weren't some yank chatting poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Corbyn just finished speaking up here in the lib dem/labour marginal of Leeds north west. The turnout was very decent, especially considering the lack of social media promotion and heavy rain. Most of the talking points included what we saw in the leaked manifesto i.e. the state of the nhs, education ranging from primary up to university, council housing, homelessness, rights of eu nationals currently residing in Britain and tax rates for the high earners/corporations. It's the first time I've seen him speaking live and it was an incredibly well delivered speech that got a good reaction from the crowd. However, the issue is getting that support from tory seats, which looking at the current polls, is not looking good.

• Locked thread