Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Star Track, featuring: Georgy LaForge, Reg Broccoli, and Dr. Spock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Where's that P-Stew SNL monologue where he gets all the names wrong?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

Aquiel is unsalvageably bad, and iirc also had the highest Nielsen rating of any Trek episode. I'm not gonna say it's the point where the show goes to poo poo because there's a number of really good episodes after it, but it definitely feels to me like one of the first symptoms of the downturn of the writing at the end of the show. Moore says in I think the TNG Companion that they literally decided the murderer should be the dog because all the other characters would have been too obvious. Quite apart from what this reveals about how clumsily the central mystery was written, what that tells me is that at this point in the show's construction they became more worried about being too predictable than they were about making a lovely, stupid episode.

Yeah, there's also a Braga quote about how he really didn't think they should do Gambit, because it was too 'space opera'. Gambit admittedly has problems, but for that to be the main reason is a big part of why I suspect there were at least a few proposed story concepts the writers turned their noses up at that would have been way better than everyone's loving family showing up.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

skasion posted:

Georgi La Forgie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Need a Lt. Barkley to go with that Corgi La Forge

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheScott2K posted:

Where's that P-Stew SNL monologue where he gets all the names wrong?

https://www.hulu.com/watch/285255

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Finally, a Geordi who the ladies love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey remember when that one dude swore Geordi was named for that one thing but it was all his own head canon?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was Welshy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Hey remember when that one dude swore Geordi was named for that one thing but it was all his own head canon?

Wait, what? Are you talking about the guy who said that he was named for the English accent?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Wait, what? Are you talking about the guy who said that he was named for the English accent?

Yeah and wasn't that firmly confirmed as being bunk?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Timby posted:

I'll thank you to remember it is a race and language, young man. I thought Geordie was named after a disabled Roddenberry fan?

Whilst I'm here, Timby, I remember years ago you said the reason for no turtlenecks in flashbacks in TNG and whatnot was the singular machine to knit the necks. How did they manage Generati9ns?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wasn't Geordi named for a handicapped fan named George or something?

Incidentally I have a friend named Jordi (he's from Catalunya) but he doesn't like Star Trek :saddowns:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trickjaw posted:

I'll thank you to remember it is a race and language, young man. I thought Geordie was named after a disabled Roddenberry fan?

George La Forge was a fan in a wheelchair, yes. He passed away in the mid-'70s. This isn't Roddenberry urban legend, by the way; it was confirmed by at least three primary sources.

quote:

Whilst I'm here, Timby, I remember years ago you said the reason for no turtlenecks in flashbacks in TNG and whatnot was the singular machine to knit the necks. How did they manage Generati9ns?

Trapunto was the quilting technique, yes. They had one needle for making the costumes at the time of Wrath of Khan. They made a few extras for III and IV because of the Excelsior crew and then the Federation Council scenes. In Generations, they had a little bit of money in their costume budget (the same budget that allowed them to make the new TNG-era uniforms that were later tossed) to bring the turtlenecks out of storage and redo them a bit for the Enterprise-B crew to make them fit ... except, oddly enough, John Ruck, whose collar just looks silly as hell.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
You know, I think my favourite episode of TNG-S2 may be The Royale: it's weird, surreal even, enough to feel like a recycled TOS episode, even though it's not.

Far Out There trek best trek (also Klingon episodes)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

spincube posted:

You know, I think my favourite episode of TNG-S2 may be The Royale: it's weird, surreal even, enough to feel like a recycled TOS episode, even though it's not.

Far Out There trek best trek (also Klingon episodes)

Yeah, The Royale is an interesting episode.

What else would you consider as "far out there" episodes in TNG? Inner Light?

Q Trek is best trek imo, or does that just go without saying?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, The Royale is an interesting episode.

What else would you consider as "far out there" episodes in TNG? Inner Light?

Q Trek is best trek imo, or does that just go without saying?

Emergence?
Phantasms?
Where No One Has Gone Before?

edit: Schisms and Remember Me fit here too

I do like some of the weird poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Masks, QPid, and Rascals spring to mind.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Masks is pretty loving out there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

remusclaw posted:

Masks is pretty loving out there.

As is Genesis.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I always liked that one where Picard is stuck in some sort of time loop and it ends with future Picard killing past Picard in a paradox that makes little sense.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
That one where everyone's getting abducted and taken apart as they sleep, and they use the holodeck to work it out. That freaked me out first time.

"Computer, make a metal table." [holodeck creates a torture chair]

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Parallels and Future Imperfect, because I like it when settings play around with things. I like Mirror Universe episodes a lot for that reason, and that episode of Futurama where they make each others' universes in a box.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Oh, yeah, and that one where Riker is in a play about the mental asylum

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Oh, yeah, and that one where Riker is in a play about the mental asylum

Frame of Mind.

Most of the DS9 stuff involving the prophets was kinda out-there, what with the non-linear stuff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I always liked that one where Picard is stuck in some sort of time loop and it ends with future Picard killing past Picard in a paradox that makes little sense.

Is that the same one where they are playing poker and they all remember their cards or the one where Data makes threes show up everywhere? I like all of the time/space fuckery

The one where there was another bridge just off the bridge for example

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Is that the same one where they are playing poker and they all remember their cards or the one where Data makes threes show up everywhere? I like all of the time/space fuckery

The one where there was another bridge just off the bridge for example

Nah, but that one fits this category pretty nicely too. I think mine was called "Time Squared, " first or second season episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think there was probably a conscious choice in TNG to bridge the movie uniforms with the new style. Not having the turtleneck needles probably played a part, but that shot of Crusher with no belt and such does look like some kind of intermediate step towards the season one jumper. Made the best of the situation, as it were.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

Apparently they needed some special trapunto machine and an even more special needle. I don't really see what the big deal was though. You'd need that machine if you were doing a massive run of clothes, but this was a movie. Why couldn't they just manually do it?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

The Bloop posted:

No, that's Cause and Effect (S5), the episode where Picard has to kill himself is Time Squared (S2).

I think the latter handled the actual time travel a bit better because the framing of the show played along with the gimmick, whereas C&E tipped its hand pretty quickly even with basic things like camera movements. Mind you the show itself "buying in" on an episode's premise is something I'm personally a sucker for, which is why I tend to think of Frame of Mind as my favorite episode of TNG - you're just as confused as Riker is the entire time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think there was probably a conscious choice in TNG to bridge the movie uniforms with the new style. Not having the turtleneck needles probably played a part, but that shot of Crusher with no belt and such does look like some kind of intermediate step towards the season one jumper. Made the best of the situation, as it were.

The crew of the Enterprise-C from Yesterday's Enterprise was also turtleneckless. I don't recall if they had the belts or not.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's such a strange thing to be hung up on. There is no reason that one of the intermediate uniform changes couldn't have just been a switch to a different brand of turtle neck.

TNG outfits feel more like they grew unimpeded out of TMP uniforms. Which makes sense since TMP feels like a trial run for TNG.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently they needed some special trapunto machine and an even more special needle. I don't really see what the big deal was though. You'd need that machine if you were doing a massive run of clothes, but this was a movie. Why couldn't they just manually do it?

Money and time. Star Trek 2 and 3 were done on much tighter budgets.

The regular TNG/DS9 uniforms didn't need trapunto needles and they still couldn't be bothered to make new costumes for Frakes and Burton.

remusclaw posted:

TNG outfits feel more like they grew unimpeded out of TMP uniforms. Which makes sense since TMP feels like a trial run for TNG.

Also that they were both projects that Gene Roddenberry had direct control over.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I feel like Robbie Rotten from Lazy Town wouldn't look out of place as a DS9 character.

"Look at this mobile phase net that I just found,"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xibanya posted:

I feel like Robbie Rotten from Lazy Town wouldn't look out of place as a DS9 character.

"Look at this mobile phase net that I just found,"

He's basically one of those early Dominion grumps Quark was trying to cheat on their Tulaberry wine.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Watch ye and despair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm honestly surprised it's taken Seth Macfarlane this long to make something like that. I don't hate it? Also, Julian's dad!

Edit: oh god it's a series! I assumed it was just a movie!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Too bad his fox affiliation probably kept him out of the running for STD -- Seth loves Star Trek and knows how to run a show, I think it would have been a good fit :/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Is the guy here the actor who played Bashir's dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Yes but all I see is Babu from Seinfeld.