Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Wow, I didn't realize Billy Hamilton already has 19 SB in just 34 games. What's a realistic outcome if he can stay healthy, 90?

He'll get hit in the kneecap by a mustachioed man named Hickey Renderson first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If the Cardinals acquired Hamilton he would have about 8 SB at this point.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I would be extremely impressed if a guy who gets on base 30% of the time stole 100 bases.

It makes me wonder what the lowest OBP and highest SB combination is.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Derek Jeter is literally the 10th best shortstop in the history of Major League Baseball by WAR.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

If he can realistically get on pace for 90, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds cut him loose and try for 100, as long as they don't worry about him getting injured.

Billy Hamilton is the most frustrating player in the history of baseball because if he had literally one offensive skill other than running fast he would be amazing.

I wonder how many players in modern baseball history have stolen more bases than they have drawn walks. It's probably a short list.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mike_V posted:

Wow, I didn't realize Billy Hamilton already has 19 SB in just 34 games. What's a realistic outcome if he can stay healthy, 90?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Billy loving Hamilton, CF
There is no more terrifying sight in baseball than Billy Hamilton on first. He stares at the pitcher. The pitcher throws back to first, grinding the game to a halt unless he is Jon Lester in which case he is hosed. Billy gets ready. Before the ball even leaves the pitcher's hand he's already on second because time and space are meaningless to Billy Hamilton. He stares at the pitcher again. He might very well go to third. There isn't much to stop him. There he is, rocking back and forth, ready to go like he was shot out of a cannon. This is what Billy does-- he doesn't need power because he can fly around the bases like the Concorde and run down anything hit into center and mainly use his jet speed to walk back to the dugout because Billy Hamilton cannot hit for poo poo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jeter's a HoFer, but I think it's fair to say he wouldn't be a first-ballot near-unanimous guy if he wasn't a Yankee. His case is based on longevity and counting stats rather than peak performance and the Yankees kept him at/near the top of the lineup for 5 seasons after he'd become a below-average player.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Paul Zuvella posted:

I wonder how many players in modern baseball history have stolen more bases than they have drawn walks. It's probably a short list.

Vince Coleman. Also in the lead for Low OBP (.301) and high SB (107) for his year in 1986. He got on base 200 times and stole 107 bases.

Lou Brock had more SB than BB too.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 15, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Jeter's a HoFer, but I think it's fair to say he wouldn't be a first-ballot near-unanimous guy if he wasn't a Yankee. His case is based on longevity and counting stats rather than peak performance and the Yankees kept him at/near the top of the lineup for 5 seasons after he'd become a below-average player.

Derek Jeter was a "below average" hitter for literally 3 seasons. His first, his last, and 2010.

In 2012 he had an OBP of .368 and was the third highest on the team. He was 38.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I hate the fact that I am on here defending Derek Jeter because he is boring as poo poo and couldnt field to save his life, but maybe don't make up facts when you're complaining about him!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Reminds me of a Cards farmhand named Esix Snead, dude could have been an absolute terror if he just could have slashed around 270/315/375 or so.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

Derek Jeter is literally the 10th best shortstop in the history of Major League Baseball by WAR.

and nondescript Mike Trout is set to surpass his career WAR by his age 28 season :v:

this is not intended to be a criticism of Jeter, just an eyepopping number from Trout

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Poque posted:

and nondescript Mike Trout is set to surpass his career WAR by his age 28 season :v:

this is not intended to be a criticism of Jeter, just an eyepopping number from Trout

At a certain point we are going to need just a thread for Mike Trout Facts.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alex Gordon is slugging, slugging .192.

What in the loving world happened to him? I can get behind the idea that the Royals bought high on him after a couple of his better years and he was probably going to regress, but he still shouldn't have just turned into this absolutely horrid player at the plate.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Billy Hamilton is the most frustrating player in the history of baseball because if he had literally one offensive skill other than running fast he would be amazing.

Without looking Juan Pierre has to be on that list.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

I went to look this up and discovered there was a second Billy Hamilton in the 1800s, and this one had 100+ steals in a season three times. :tinfoil:

he is a hall of famer so this is probably only news to me

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

Peter Bourjos in 2010.

E: Allan Lewis has 44 career SB and 1 walk ever.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 15, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I firmly believe that if Jeter doesn't shatter his ankle in the 2012 ALCS he could have lasted another season or so

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Jeter should have taken steroids and hit more homeruns.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Julio Cruz posted:

There's a serious debate on my facebook timeline about whether or not he deserves to be the first unanimous HOFer and I want to die.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

There's a serious debate on my facebook timeline about whether or not he deserves to be the first unanimous HOFer and I want to die.

The answer is no because there are tons of players before him that deserved it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If Ken Griffey or Greg Maddux didn't get it nobody does until Mike Trout, if he keeps this up, when he's up for HOF candidacy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If there's a player who's been active since my birth ('83) who deserves unanimous HOF, it's Pedro Martinez, not Jeter.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Pancakes posted:

Peter Bourjos in 2010.

Update: Matt Alexander had 103 career SB versus 18 BB.

E: And Don Hopkins had 21 and 2, respectively.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Pancakes posted:

Peter Bourjos in 2010.

Man I thought Bourjos was going to be amazing after his 2011 season. Then some new kid had to come up and steal his job in CF.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Spoeank posted:

If Ken Griffey or Greg Maddux didn't get it nobody does until Mike Trout, if he keeps this up, when he's up for HOF candidacy

Hot take: Mike Trout is already a HoF player.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Spoeank posted:

Pujols? Although god drat he is hot trash right now.

The Angels have now officially paid more money into Pujols' career earnings than the Cardinals.

Cardinals paid 104m over 11 years for: 328/420/617 good for 170 OPS+

Angels have paid 126m over 6 years (including this year) for: 265/323/469 food for 121 OPS+

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 15, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Angels in general are so bad that they have a team WAR of 2.9 even though Trout alone has been worth 2.5.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The answer SHOULD be Barry Bonds, but that's probably too obvious.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Tony Campana had more stolen bases than walks every year he played in the majors.

Over 3 partial MLB season Campana had 66 SB and 27 BB with 2 HBP.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Matt Alexander's 1975 season is weird and adorable. 63 games, 11 plate appearances, 17 stolen bases, 10 caught stealing, 1 walk, 1 hit, -0.5 WAR and -17 OPS+.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

This is also a good criticism of MLB and how they're wasting marketing resources on a great but not all-time great guy who retired last year instead of focusing on promoting an all-time great who is not yet even in his prime years.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

but by no means would they do the hours long circle jerk about him.

This is where people are really loving losing me on the Jeter hate train.

ESPN televised a retirement ceremony put on by the Yankees. ESPN didn't retire his number, they didn't put together a show, they didn't put a plaque of him up in CF, the Yankees did. Regardless of how you think Jeter's entire career measures up to another player, the idea that in the Yankee pantheon he's anything less than a legend and the face of the franchise for a decade+ is loving ridiculous.

I'll entertain the HoF arguments (I mean, he is a hall of famer) but when you talk about him going into monument park and say poo poo like "Yeah but Griffey had a better WAR!" you're just outing yourself as a moron.

(ESPN is poo poo and should have televised Griffey's ceremoy too if they didn't.)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

bewbies posted:

This is also a good criticism of MLB and how they're wasting marketing resources on a great but not all-time great guy who retired last year instead of focusing on promoting an all-time great who is not yet even in his prime years.

I was literally about to concur and point out there are other young greats as well like Altuve they could be rallying around but then a 5 Hour Energy commercial came on starring Jose Altuve so I guess they're throwing some marketing that way?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

bewbies posted:

95% of all MLB marketing goes towards the latest thing Tim Tebow did in the minors.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Reminds me of a Cards farmhand named Esix Snead, dude could have been an absolute terror if he just could have slashed around 270/315/375 or so.

that's the 2nd most Cardinanls name ever

Except for Stubby Clapp. Nobody will top Stubby Clapp.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

This is where people are really loving losing me on the Jeter hate train.

ESPN televised a retirement ceremony put on by the Yankees. ESPN didn't retire his number, they didn't put together a show, they didn't put a plaque of him up in CF, the Yankees did. Regardless of how you think Jeter's entire career measures up to another player, the idea that in the Yankee pantheon he's anything less than a legend and the face of the franchise for a decade+ is loving ridiculous.

I'll entertain the HoF arguments (I mean, he is a hall of famer) but when you talk about him going into monument park and say poo poo like "Yeah but Griffey had a better WAR!" you're just outing yourself as a moron.

(ESPN is poo poo and should have televised Griffey's ceremoy too if they didn't.)

I'm annoyed that ESPN favors specific franchises when it comes to sentimentality for retiring players. I get it, Rivera and Jeter are Hall of Famers, but Ortiz, for instance, got a months-long love-fest from the national media while Todd Helton or Paul Konerko got ignored. I won't complain when they focus on Yadi in four years, but it'll be hypocritical of me. If you were a notable player on the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers or Giants then you're more likely to get a ton of attention. Otherwise I feel like ESPN doesn't give a drat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

I'm annoyed that ESPN favors specific franchises when it comes to sentimentality for retiring players. I get it, Rivera and Jeter are Hall of Famers, but Ortiz, for instance, got a months-long love-fest from the national media while Todd Helton or Paul Konerko got ignored. I won't complain when they focus on Yadi in four years, but it'll be hypocritical of me. If you were a notable player on the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers or Giants then you're more likely to get a ton of attention. Otherwise I feel like ESPN doesn't give a drat.

Oh for sure, but I still don't see how that disqualifies Jeter from having earned his plaque, which seems to be the argument some people are making.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

ego symphonic posted:

Hot take: Mike Trout is already a HoF player.

Agreed, but not unanimously.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Angels have now officially paid more money into Pujols' career earnings than the Cardinals.

Cardinals paid 104m over 11 years for: 328/420/617 good for 170 OPS+

Angels have paid 126m over 6 years (including this year) for: 265/323/469 food for 121 OPS+

Pujols unanimous?

Hell no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why the gently caress does anyone care what or what is not on ESPN these days, their broadcasts are garbage.

• Locked thread